Why did linux change to DST too early in the USA? - Linux

This is a discussion on Why did linux change to DST too early in the USA? - Linux ; Most of our linux boxes have WRONGLY adjusted themselves to daylight savings time which starts NEXT WEEKEND... not this past weekend. And yes, these are all fully patched and up to date. (It's time for "linux is just the kernel" ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 36

  1. Why did linux change to DST too early in the USA?

    Most of our linux boxes have WRONGLY adjusted themselves to daylight savings
    time which starts NEXT WEEKEND... not this past weekend.

    And yes, these are all fully patched and up to date.

    (It's time for "linux is just the kernel" and some 3rd party app controls
    the time.)

  2. Re: Why did linux change to DST too early in the USA?

    Keith Windsor wrote:

    > Most of our linux boxes have WRONGLY adjusted themselves to daylight
    > savings time which starts NEXT WEEKEND... not this past weekend.
    >
    > And yes, these are all fully patched and up to date.
    >
    > (It's time for "linux is just the kernel" and some 3rd party app controls
    > the time.)

    Poor Keith.

    Way too stupid to load the corrected Time-Zones

    Why do you have to prove time and again that you are not smart enough to
    sweep the parking lots?

  3. Re: Why did linux change to DST too early in the USA?

    On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 17:32:02 -0400, Keith Windsor wrote:

    > Most of our linux boxes have WRONGLY adjusted themselves to daylight
    > savings time which starts NEXT WEEKEND... not this past weekend.

    No, daylight savings time ENDS next weekend.

    > And yes, these are all fully patched and up to date.
    >
    > (It's time for "linux is just the kernel" and some 3rd party app controls
    > the time.)

    Clearly you did not patch them. The timezone patch has been available
    for at least a year - unless you are running some ancient version that is
    out of service. Even then the timezone files are standard across
    distributions so you could have simply obtained them from a supported
    version.

    Didn't you notice the problem earlier this year when daylight savings time
    started 3 weeks earlier than usual?

    Bug

  4. Re: Why did linux change to DST too early in the USA?

    That's EASY... you f******p... working as designed here...

    --

    Jerry McBride

  5. Re: Why did linux change to DST too early in the USA?

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Keith Windsor

    wrote
    <4726456f$0$26470$88260bb3@free.teranews.com>:
    > Most of our linux boxes have WRONGLY adjusted themselves to daylight savings
    > time which starts NEXT WEEKEND... not this past weekend.
    >
    > And yes, these are all fully patched and up to date.
    >
    > (It's time for "linux is just the kernel" and some 3rd party app controls
    > the time.)

    Where do you get that notion? My box is working fine
    here. Perhaps other distros are confused, but not Gentoo.
    Redhat looks good too ($EMPLOYER uses a version of Redhat
    on its servers).

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Linux. The choice of a GNU generation.
    Windows. The choice of a bunch of people who like very weird behavior on
    a regular basis, random crashes, and "extend, embrace, and extinguish".

  6. Re: Why did linux change to DST too early in the USA?

    Peter Köhlmann wrote:

    > Keith Windsor wrote:
    >
    >> Most of our linux boxes have WRONGLY adjusted themselves to daylight
    >> savings time which starts NEXT WEEKEND... not this past weekend.
    >>
    >> And yes, these are all fully patched and up to date.
    >>
    >> (It's time for "linux is just the kernel" and some 3rd party app controls
    >> the time.)
    >>

    > Poor Keith.
    >
    > Way too stupid to load the corrected Time-Zones

    Well that's if you even *believe* him when he says that they *have* linux
    boxes. Even *if* they have, he's also way too stupid to have them check
    with an ntp time server. But of course, he probably doesn't even know where
    to set that up either.

    > Why do you have to prove time and again that you are not smart enough to
    > sweep the parking lots?

    Then WTF *does* he do?

    --
    Operating systems: FreeBSD 6.2, PC-BSD 1.4,
    Testing: FreeBSD 7.0-BETA1.5

  7. Re: Why did linux change to DST too early in the USA?

    William Poaster wrote:

    > Peter Köhlmann wrote:
    >
    >> Keith Windsor wrote:
    >>
    >>> Most of our linux boxes have WRONGLY adjusted themselves to daylight
    >>> savings time which starts NEXT WEEKEND... not this past weekend.
    >>>
    >>> And yes, these are all fully patched and up to date.
    >>>
    >>> (It's time for "linux is just the kernel" and some 3rd party app
    >>> controls the time.)
    >>>

    >> Poor Keith.
    >>
    >> Way too stupid to load the corrected Time-Zones

    > Well that's if you even *believe* him when he says that they *have* linux
    > boxes. Even *if* they have, he's also way too stupid to have them check
    > with an ntp time server. But of course, he probably doesn't even know
    > where to set that up either.

    Nobody would expect him to. He is a windows user, after all

    >> Why do you have to prove time and again that you are not smart enough to
    >> sweep the parking lots?

    > Then WTF *does* he do?

    Licking the toilets clean
    Nobody told him that you are supposed to use brushes
    --
    Yield to Temptation ... it may not pass your way again.
    -- Lazarus Long, "Time Enough for Love"

  8. Re: Why did linux change to DST too early in the USA?

    Peter Köhlmann wrote:

    > William Poaster wrote:
    >
    >> Peter Köhlmann wrote:

    >>> Poor Keith.
    >>>
    >>> Way too stupid to load the corrected Time-Zones

    >> Well that's if you even *believe* him when he says that they *have* linux
    >> boxes. Even *if* they have, he's also way too stupid to have them check
    >> with an ntp time server. But of course, he probably doesn't even know
    >> where to set that up either.

    > Nobody would expect him to. He is a windows user, after all
    >
    >>> Why do you have to prove time and again that you are not smart enough to
    >>> sweep the parking lots?

    >> Then WTF *does* he do?
    >>

    > Licking the toilets clean
    > Nobody told him that you are supposed to use brushes

    Ah, right. ;-)

    --
    Operating systems: FreeBSD 6.2, PC-BSD 1.4,
    Testing: FreeBSD 7.0-BETA1.5
    Linux systems: Debian 4.0, PCLinuxOS 2007,
    Kubuntu 7.10 "Gutsy"

  9. Re: Why did linux change to DST too early in the USA?

    On Oct 29, 7:02 pm, Jerry McBride wrote:
    > Keith Windsor wrote:
    > > Most of our linux boxes have WRONGLY adjusted themselves to daylight
    > > savings time which starts NEXT WEEKEND... not this past weekend.

    > > And yes, these are all fully patched and up to date.

    > > (It's time for "linux is just the kernel" and some 3rd party app controls
    > > the time.)

    > That's EASY... you f******p... working as designed here...

    You used too many asterisks.

  10. Re: Why did linux change to DST too early in the USA?

    On Oct 29, 7:31 pm, William Poaster wrote:
    > Peter Khlmann wrote:
    > > William Poaster wrote:

    > >> Well that's if you even *believe* him when he says that they *have* linux
    > >> boxes. Even *if* they have, he's also way too stupid to have them check
    > >> with an ntp time server. But of course, he probably doesn't even know
    > >> where to set that up either.

    > > Nobody would expect him to. He is a windows user, after all

    > >> Then WTF *does* he do?

    > > Licking the toilets clean
    > > Nobody told him that you are supposed to use brushes

    > Ah, right. ;-)

    Which is better for killfiling people, Debian or Gentoo?

  11. Re: Why did linux change to DST too early in the USA?

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, cc

    wrote
    on Mon, 29 Oct 2007 23:45:51 -0000
    <1193701551.215635.180050@o3g2000hsb.googlegroups.c om>:
    > On Oct 29, 7:31 pm, William Poaster wrote:
    >> Peter Khlmann wrote:

    >> > Nobody would expect him to. He is a windows user, after all

    >> > Licking the toilets clean
    >> > Nobody told him that you are supposed to use brushes

    >> Ah, right. ;-)
    >>

    > Which is better for killfiling people, Debian or Gentoo?

    Redhat, of course! :-)

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Warning: This encrypted signature is a dangerous munition.
    Please notify the US government immediately upon reception.
    0000 0000 0000 0000 0001 0000 0000 0000 ...

  12. Re: Why did linux change to DST too early in the USA?

    "William Poaster" wrote in message
    > Peter Khlmann wrote:
    >
    >> Keith Windsor wrote:
    >>
    >>> Most of our linux boxes have WRONGLY adjusted themselves to daylight
    >>> savings time which starts NEXT WEEKEND... not this past weekend.
    >>>
    >>> And yes, these are all fully patched and up to date.
    >>>
    >>> (It's time for "linux is just the kernel" and some 3rd party app
    >>> controls
    >>> the time.)
    >>>

    >> Poor Keith.
    >>
    >> Way too stupid to load the corrected Time-Zones

    > Well that's if you even *believe* him when he says that they *have* linux
    > boxes. Even *if* they have, he's also way too stupid to have them check
    > with an ntp time server.

    Poor Willy Poaster. Too stupid to realize that NTP time servers keep the
    time in sync but doesn't set time-zones or make DST adjustments. Anyone can
    use the national time standard NTP server at the USNO or NIST to get the
    correct time but there's no way a NTP server will know what specific
    time-zone the user is in.

    Then again, Willy Poaster is dumber than a slice of bread.

    > But of course, he probably doesn't even know where
    > to set that up either.
    >
    >> Why do you have to prove time and again that you are not smart enough to
    >> sweep the parking lots?

    > Then WTF *does* he do?
    >
    > --
    > Operating systems: FreeBSD 6.2, PC-BSD 1.4,
    > Testing: FreeBSD 7.0-BETA1.5
    > Linux systems: Debian 4.0, PCLinuxOS 2007,
    > Kubuntu 7.10 "Gutsy"

  13. Re: Why did linux change to DST too early in the USA?

    In article <476iv4-ih5.ln1@pcbsd.archimedes.eu>,
    William Poaster wrote:
    > Well that's if you even *believe* him when he says that they *have* linux
    > boxes. Even *if* they have, he's also way too stupid to have them check
    > with an ntp time server. But of course, he probably doesn't even know where
    > to set that up either.

    > --
    > Operating systems: FreeBSD 6.2, PC-BSD 1.4,
    > Testing: FreeBSD 7.0-BETA1.5
    > Linux systems: Debian 4.0, PCLinuxOS 2007,
    > Kubuntu 7.10 "Gutsy"

    NTP time servers know that the USA changed its DST rules?

    BTW, you say you run Debian. How come you missed the big controversy
    over this time zone issue on the Debian lists?

  14. Re: Why did linux change to DST too early in the USA?

    Never appeal to a man's 'better nature.' He may not have one. Invoking his
    self-interest gives you more leverage. -- Lazarus Long

  15. Re: Why did linux change to DST too early in the USA?

    On Oct 30, 12:29 am, Jim Richardson wrote:

    > On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 17:32:02 -0400,
    > Keith Windsor wrote:
    >
    > > Most of our linux boxes have WRONGLY adjusted themselves to daylight savings
    > > time which starts NEXT WEEKEND... not this past weekend.

    > > And yes, these are all fully patched and up to date.

    > What distro?

    The wrong distro obviously. Jesus Christ Keith, get with the program.

  16. Re: Why did linux change to DST too early in the USA?

    On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 17:32:02 -0400, Keith Windsor wrote:

    > Most of our linux boxes have WRONGLY adjusted themselves to daylight savings
    > time which starts NEXT WEEKEND... not this past weekend.
    >
    > And yes, these are all fully patched and up to date.
    >
    > (It's time for "linux is just the kernel" and some 3rd party app controls
    > the time.)

    Mine are all up to date and none of them did. I would suggest that your
    timezone info was not updated.

  17. Re: Why did linux change to DST too early in the USA?

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, [H]omer

    wrote
    on Tue, 30 Oct 2007 02:13:53 +0000
    <1kgiv4-09g.ln1@sky.matrix>:
    > Verily I say unto thee, that The Ghost In The Machine spake thusly:
    >> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, cc

    >>> Which is better for killfiling people, Debian or Gentoo?

    > Curious. I hadn't considered trying to use a GNU/Linux distro as a
    > killfile generator before, I always assumed it was easier just to use a
    > Newsreader.

    One has to wonder as to the logic here. :-) It's a bit
    like asking "which automobile tire is better, Toyota
    or Dodge".

    >> Redhat, of course! :-)

    > I vote: Slackware, based purely on age (bigger killfile).

    A point, that.

    > Mind you, many
    > of the original Munchkins might well be pushing up daisies
    > by now, or at least driving zimmers and talking to plants.
    >
    > Talking of geriatrics, I wonder if Sweaty was ever in a
    > killfile?

    I'd be surprised if Mr. Ballmer has ever been on Usenet.
    Then again, I can't say I know either way -- and there
    was that 'billg' character, who probably wasn't Bill Gates
    *or* Ballmer.

    > Maybe FUDenbunch or Weis-ass-gerber knows, since
    > they're of a similar ilk. Then again, given the Microsoft
    > camp's propensity for devious behaviour and hiding behind
    > proxies, would anyone ever really know.

    Indeed.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Useless C++ Programming Idea #23291:
    void f(item *p) { if(p != 0) delete p; }

  18. Re: Why did linux change to DST too early in the USA?

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Tim Smith

    wrote
    on Mon, 29 Oct 2007 19:55:45 -0500
    :
    > In article <476iv4-ih5.ln1@pcbsd.archimedes.eu>,
    > William Poaster wrote:
    >> Well that's if you even *believe* him when he says that
    >> they *have* linux boxes. Even *if* they have, he's also
    >> way too stupid to have them check with an ntp time server.
    >> But of course, he probably doesn't even know where to
    >> set that up either.

    >> --
    >> Operating systems: FreeBSD 6.2, PC-BSD 1.4,
    >> Testing: FreeBSD 7.0-BETA1.5
    >> Linux systems: Debian 4.0, PCLinuxOS 2007,
    >> Kubuntu 7.10 "Gutsy"

    > NTP time servers know that the USA changed its DST rules?

    NTP time servers don't give a crap; the protocol is UTC-based
    (including leap seconds). The actual timezone data is stored at
    a government server: ftp://elsie.nci.nih.gov/pub/ . A variant
    of this code and data is presumably on every system worldwide -- or
    at least every system that needs to know about timezones.

    > BTW, you say you run Debian. How come you missed the big controversy
    > over this time zone issue on the Debian lists?

    Running a distro is not the same as actively participating
    in distro forums.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Useless C++ Programming Idea #23291:
    void f(item *p) { if(p != 0) delete p; }

  19. Re: Why did linux change to DST too early in the USA?

    In Vino Veritas, In Cervesio Felicitas
    (In wine there is truth, in beer there is joy)

  20. Re: Why did linux change to DST too early in the USA?

    "Jim Richardson" wrote in message

    > On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 21:29:21 -0700,
    > Jim Richardson wrote:
    >>
    >> On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 17:32:02 -0400,
    >> Keith Windsor wrote:
    >>> Most of our linux boxes have WRONGLY adjusted themselves to daylight
    >>> savings
    >>> time which starts NEXT WEEKEND... not this past weekend.
    >>>
    >>> And yes, these are all fully patched and up to date.
    >>>

    >> What distro?
    >>

    > No answer?

    Answer. Your original question got lost in all the noise in this group.

    Also, my recent complaint about Ubuntu having to upgrade by downloading
    every single version at a time (instead of just getting the latest one) led
    me to assume that it was clear.

    Ubuntu 6.1 "Edgy Eft"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast