Why did linux change to DST too early in the USA? - Linux

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 36 of 36

  1. Re: Why did linux change to DST too early in the USA?

    Perfection is a goal to be striven for, not a position to be reached.

  2. Re: Why did linux change to DST too early in the USA?

    "Jim Richardson" wrote in message

    > On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 16:29:25 -0400,
    > Keith Windsor wrote:
    >>
    >> "Jim Richardson" wrote in message

    >>> No answer?

    >> Answer. Your original question got lost in all the noise in this group.
    >>
    >> Also, my recent complaint about Ubuntu having to upgrade by downloading
    >> every single version at a time (instead of just getting the latest one)
    >> led
    >> me to assume that it was clear.
    >>
    >> Ubuntu 6.1 "Edgy Eft"
    >>

    > Worked fine here. What version of tzdata is installed?
    >
    > apt-cache show tzdata
    >
    > will get that, or using synaptic for the clicky pointy way.

    Package: tzdata
    This package contains data that represent the history of local time for
    many
    representative locations around the globe. It is updated periodically to
    reflect changes made by political bodies to time zone boundaries, UTC
    offsets,
    and daylight-saving rules
    Bugs: mailto:ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
    Origin: Ubuntu
    Task: minimal

    > --
    > Jim Richardson http://www.eskimo.com/~warlock
    > Perfection is a goal to be striven for, not a position to be reached.

  3. Re: Why did linux change to DST too early in the USA?

    "Jim Richardson" wrote in message

    > On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 16:29:25 -0400,
    > Keith Windsor wrote:
    >>
    >> "Jim Richardson" wrote in message
    >
    > --
    > Jim Richardson http://www.eskimo.com/~warlock
    > Perfection is a goal to be striven for, not a position to be reached.

  4. Re: Why did linux change to DST too early in the USA?

    On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 16:29:25 -0400, Keith Windsor wrote:

    > "Jim Richardson" wrote in message
    >>
    >> On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 21:29:21 -0700,
    >> Jim Richardson wrote:

    >>> What distro?
    >>>

    >> No answer?

    > Answer. Your original question got lost in all the noise in this group.
    >
    > Also, my recent complaint about Ubuntu having to upgrade by downloading
    > every single version at a time (instead of just getting the latest one)
    > led me to assume that it was clear.
    >
    > Ubuntu 6.1 "Edgy Eft"

    Getting back to the OP my Blackberry jumped back 1 hour Sunday night.
    I suspect, I don't know, but suspect, they are running Unix of some sorts.

    --
    flatfish+++

    "Why do they call it a flatfish?"
    "Is this the year of Linux?"
    "Linux is free only when your time has no value"

  5. Re: Why did linux change to DST too early in the USA?

    On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 17:12:48 -0400,
    Keith Windsor wrote:

    > "Jim Richardson" wrote in message
    >>
    >> On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 16:29:25 -0400,
    >> Keith Windsor wrote:
    >>>
    >>> "Jim Richardson" wrote in message

    >>> Answer. Your original question got lost in all the noise in this group.
    >>>
    >>> Also, my recent complaint about Ubuntu having to upgrade by downloading
    >>> every single version at a time (instead of just getting the latest one)
    >>> led
    >>> me to assume that it was clear.
    >>>
    >>> Ubuntu 6.1 "Edgy Eft"
    >>>

    >> Worked fine here. What version of tzdata is installed?
    >>
    >> apt-cache show tzdata
    >>
    >> will get that, or using synaptic for the clicky pointy way.

    > Package: tzdata
    > This package contains data that represent the history of local time for
    > many
    > representative locations around the globe. It is updated periodically to
    > reflect changes made by political bodies to time zone boundaries, UTC
    > offsets,
    > and daylight-saving rules
    > Bugs: mailto:ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
    > Origin: Ubuntu
    > Task: minimal

    Then no, you aren't "fully patched and up to date" since the current
    version of tzdata for Edgy Eft (6.10) is 2007h-0ubuntu0.6.10, not
    2006m-1ubuntu1.

    A camera can record the news, a rifle, can make it.

  6. Re: Why did linux change to DST too early in the USA?

    After takin' a swig o' grog, ray belched out this bit o' wisdom:

    > On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 17:32:02 -0400, Keith Windsor wrote:
    >
    >> Most of our linux boxes have WRONGLY adjusted themselves to daylight savings
    >> time which starts NEXT WEEKEND... not this past weekend.
    >>
    >> And yes, these are all fully patched and up to date.
    >>
    >> (It's time for "linux is just the kernel" and some 3rd party app controls
    >> the time.)

    > Mine are all up to date and none of them did. I would suggest that your
    > timezone info was not updated.

    My Linux box was fine. The Win 2000 VM, of course, fell back
    prematurely.

    Oh, I keep both systems up-to-date, by the way.

    Keith Windsock/Winsock needs to learn how to plug in a connector.

    --
    Tux rox!

  7. Re: Why did linux change to DST too early in the USA?

    On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 23:18:11 +0000, Linonut wrote:

    > After takin' a swig o' grog, ray belched out this bit o' wisdom:
    >
    >> On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 17:32:02 -0400, Keith Windsor wrote:
    >>
    >>> Most of our linux boxes have WRONGLY adjusted themselves to daylight
    >>> savings time which starts NEXT WEEKEND... not this past weekend.
    >>>
    >>> And yes, these are all fully patched and up to date.
    >>>
    >>> (It's time for "linux is just the kernel" and some 3rd party app
    >>> controls the time.)

    >> Mine are all up to date and none of them did. I would suggest that your
    >> timezone info was not updated.

    > My Linux box was fine. The Win 2000 VM, of course, fell back
    > prematurely.
    >
    > Oh, I keep both systems up-to-date, by the way.
    >
    > Keith Windsock/Winsock needs to learn how to plug in a connector.

    Blackberry's were not.
    So what OS are they using?

    --
    flatfish+++

    "Why do they call it a flatfish?"
    "Is this the year of Linux?"
    "Linux is free only when your time has no value"

  8. Re: Why did linux change to DST too early in the USA?

    After takin' a swig o' grog, flatfish+++ belched out this bit o' wisdom:

    > On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 23:18:11 +0000, Linonut wrote:
    >
    > Blackberry's were not.
    > So what OS are they using?

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BlackBerry

    RIM provides a proprietary multi-tasking operating system (OS) for
    the BlackBerry, ...

    Of course, they could get clock-synch signals from somewhere else. I do
    not know.

    > --
    > flatfish+++
    >
    > "Why do they call it a flatfish?"

    Uh, because that's the signature on the posts?

    > "Is this the year of Linux?"

    Every year is Linux year!

    > "Linux is free only when your time has no value"

    Pffft. I have to spend a lot of time dicking with Windows, too, and it
    ain't free.

    --
    Tux rox!

  9. Re: Why did linux change to DST too early in the USA?

    > On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 17:12:48 -0400,
    > Keith Windsor wrote:
    >>
    >> "Jim Richardson" wrote in message

    >>> Worked fine here. What version of tzdata is installed?
    >>>
    >>> apt-cache show tzdata
    >>>
    >>> will get that, or using synaptic for the clicky pointy way.

    >> Package: tzdata
    >> This package contains data that represent the history of local time for
    >> many
    >> representative locations around the globe. It is updated periodically to
    >> reflect changes made by political bodies to time zone boundaries, UTC
    >> offsets,
    >> and daylight-saving rules
    >> Bugs: mailto:ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
    >> Origin: Ubuntu
    >> Task: minimal
    >>

    > Then no, you aren't "fully patched and up to date" since the current
    > version of tzdata for Edgy Eft (6.10) is 2007h-0ubuntu0.6.10, not
    > 2006m-1ubuntu1.

    Well it's telling me that I am up to date. Here's why I say that.

    1) The little "notifier icon" in the top right corner by the date and volume
    control is not on. Normally there's a little 'orange dot' there when updates
    are needed.

    2) I try to manually update by doing this following:
    System->Administration->Update Manager. Press the "Check" button, enter
    password. The "Software Updates" dialog reads, "Your system is up-to-date"

    3) I Google'd and found the way to update the system from the command line.
    So I run it. The output is below. Again... nothing gets updated and it
    doesn't tell me that any packages are out of date.

    Is the "update mechanism" broken or borked?

    - Keith

    keith@ubuntu:~$ sudo apt-get update
    Get: 1 http://security.ubuntu.com edgy-security Release.gpg [191B]
    Ign http://security.ubuntu.com edgy-security/main Translation-en_US
    Ign http://security.ubuntu.com edgy-security/restricted Translation-en_US
    Get: 2 http://archive.ubuntu.com edgy Release.gpg [191B]
    Ign http://archive.ubuntu.com edgy/main Translation-en_US
    Ign http://archive.ubuntu.com edgy/restricted Translation-en_US
    Ign http://archive.ubuntu.com edgy/universe Translation-en_US
    Get: 3 http://archive.ubuntu.com dapper Release.gpg [189B]
    Hit http://archive.ubuntu.com edgy Release
    Hit http://security.ubuntu.com edgy-security Release
    Hit http://archive.ubuntu.com dapper Release
    Hit http://security.ubuntu.com edgy-security/main Packages
    Hit http://archive.ubuntu.com edgy/main Packages
    Hit http://archive.ubuntu.com edgy/restricted Packages
    Hit http://archive.ubuntu.com edgy/main Sources
    Hit http://security.ubuntu.com edgy-security/restricted Packages
    Hit http://security.ubuntu.com edgy-security/main Sources
    Hit http://security.ubuntu.com edgy-security/restricted Sources
    Hit http://archive.ubuntu.com edgy/restricted Sources
    Hit http://archive.ubuntu.com edgy/universe Packages
    Hit http://archive.ubuntu.com dapper/universe Sources
    Fetched 3B in 0s (5B/s)
    Reading package lists... Done
    keith@ubuntu:~$

  10. Re: Why did linux change to DST too early in the USA?

    On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 09:37:04 -0400,
    Keith Windsor wrote:

    > "Jim Richardson" wrote in message
    >>
    >> On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 17:12:48 -0400,
    >> Keith Windsor wrote:
    >>>
    >>> "Jim Richardson" wrote in message

    >>> Package: tzdata
    >>> This package contains data that represent the history of local time for
    >>> many
    >>> representative locations around the globe. It is updated periodically to
    >>> reflect changes made by political bodies to time zone boundaries, UTC
    >>> offsets,
    >>> and daylight-saving rules
    >>> Bugs: mailto:ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
    >>> Origin: Ubuntu
    >>> Task: minimal
    >>>

    >> Then no, you aren't "fully patched and up to date" since the current
    >> version of tzdata for Edgy Eft (6.10) is 2007h-0ubuntu0.6.10, not
    >> 2006m-1ubuntu1.

    > Well it's telling me that I am up to date. Here's why I say that.
    >
    > 1) The little "notifier icon" in the top right corner by the date and volume
    > control is not on. Normally there's a little 'orange dot' there when updates
    > are needed.
    >
    > 2) I try to manually update by doing this following:
    > System->Administration->Update Manager. Press the "Check" button, enter
    > password. The "Software Updates" dialog reads, "Your system is up-to-date"
    >
    > 3) I Google'd and found the way to update the system from the command line.
    > So I run it. The output is below. Again... nothing gets updated and it
    > doesn't tell me that any packages are out of date.
    >
    > Is the "update mechanism" broken or borked?
    >
    > - Keith
    >

    > keith@ubuntu:~$ sudo apt-get update
    > Get: 1 http://security.ubuntu.com edgy-security Release.gpg [191B]
    > Ign http://security.ubuntu.com edgy-security/main Translation-en_US
    > Ign http://security.ubuntu.com edgy-security/restricted Translation-en_US
    > Get: 2 http://archive.ubuntu.com edgy Release.gpg [191B]
    > Ign http://archive.ubuntu.com edgy/main Translation-en_US
    > Ign http://archive.ubuntu.com edgy/restricted Translation-en_US
    > Ign http://archive.ubuntu.com edgy/universe Translation-en_US
    > Get: 3 http://archive.ubuntu.com dapper Release.gpg [189B]
    > Hit http://archive.ubuntu.com edgy Release
    > Hit http://security.ubuntu.com edgy-security Release
    > Hit http://archive.ubuntu.com dapper Release
    > Hit http://security.ubuntu.com edgy-security/main Packages
    > Hit http://archive.ubuntu.com edgy/main Packages
    > Hit http://archive.ubuntu.com edgy/restricted Packages
    > Hit http://archive.ubuntu.com edgy/main Sources
    > Hit http://security.ubuntu.com edgy-security/restricted Packages
    > Hit http://security.ubuntu.com edgy-security/main Sources
    > Hit http://security.ubuntu.com edgy-security/restricted Sources
    > Hit http://archive.ubuntu.com edgy/restricted Sources
    > Hit http://archive.ubuntu.com edgy/universe Packages
    > Hit http://archive.ubuntu.com dapper/universe Sources
    > Fetched 3B in 0s (5B/s)
    > Reading package lists... Done
    > keith@ubuntu:~$

    You've got a mix of dapper and edgy in there, that's not good. Don't
    know if that's the core of the problem or not, since Dapper is also on
    the later version of the tzdata, but I'd remove all the lines in
    /etc/apt/sources.list that refer to dapper.

    The race isn't always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong,
    But it's the safest way to bet.

  11. Re: Why did linux change to DST too early in the USA?

    > On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 09:37:04 -0400,
    > Keith Windsor wrote:
    >>
    >> "Jim Richardson" wrote in message

    >>> Then no, you aren't "fully patched and up to date" since the current
    >>> version of tzdata for Edgy Eft (6.10) is 2007h-0ubuntu0.6.10, not
    >>> 2006m-1ubuntu1.

    >> Well it's telling me that I am up to date. Here's why I say that.
    >>
    >> 1) The little "notifier icon" in the top right corner by the date and
    >> volume
    >> control is not on. Normally there's a little 'orange dot' there when
    >> updates
    >> are needed.
    >>
    >> 2) I try to manually update by doing this following:
    >> System->Administration->Update Manager. Press the "Check" button, enter
    >> password. The "Software Updates" dialog reads, "Your system is
    >> up-to-date"
    >>
    >> 3) I Google'd and found the way to update the system from the command
    >> line.
    >> So I run it. The output is below. Again... nothing gets updated and it
    >> doesn't tell me that any packages are out of date.
    >>
    >> Is the "update mechanism" broken or borked?
    >>
    >> - Keith
    >>

    >> keith@ubuntu:~$ sudo apt-get update
    >> Get: 1 http://security.ubuntu.com edgy-security Release.gpg [191B]
    >> Ign http://security.ubuntu.com edgy-security/main Translation-en_US
    >> Ign http://security.ubuntu.com edgy-security/restricted Translation-en_US
    >> Get: 2 http://archive.ubuntu.com edgy Release.gpg [191B]
    >> Ign http://archive.ubuntu.com edgy/main Translation-en_US
    >> Ign http://archive.ubuntu.com edgy/restricted Translation-en_US
    >> Ign http://archive.ubuntu.com edgy/universe Translation-en_US
    >> Get: 3 http://archive.ubuntu.com dapper Release.gpg [189B]
    >> Hit http://archive.ubuntu.com edgy Release
    >> Hit http://security.ubuntu.com edgy-security Release
    >> Hit http://archive.ubuntu.com dapper Release
    >> Hit http://security.ubuntu.com edgy-security/main Packages
    >> Hit http://archive.ubuntu.com edgy/main Packages
    >> Hit http://archive.ubuntu.com edgy/restricted Packages
    >> Hit http://archive.ubuntu.com edgy/main Sources
    >> Hit http://security.ubuntu.com edgy-security/restricted Packages
    >> Hit http://security.ubuntu.com edgy-security/main Sources
    >> Hit http://security.ubuntu.com edgy-security/restricted Sources
    >> Hit http://archive.ubuntu.com edgy/restricted Sources
    >> Hit http://archive.ubuntu.com edgy/universe Packages
    >> Hit http://archive.ubuntu.com dapper/universe Sources
    >> Fetched 3B in 0s (5B/s)
    >> Reading package lists... Done
    >> keith@ubuntu:~$
    >>

    > You've got a mix of dapper and edgy in there, that's not good. Don't
    > know if that's the core of the problem or not, since Dapper is also on
    > the later version of the tzdata, but I'd remove all the lines in
    > /etc/apt/sources.list that refer to dapper.

    Thanks again.

    That's certainly interesting. I had 'Dapper' installed previously. Then I
    used the "automatic update" to upgrade me to "Edgy" a couple of days ago
    which is when I complained that it didn't take me straight to the latest
    version. That the automatic update only upgraded me one version at a time.

    During the upgrade it downloaded around 570 Megs and the update ran without
    any errors, warnings or anything. It told me I needed to reboot to complete
    the upgrade which I did and all appears to be working. Until the DST issue
    that is. And now it looks like a Franken-build has taken over my machine.

    Maybe the best thing to do at this point is to screw the "automatic updates"
    and simply download "Gutsy", burn the CD and boot+install right from the CD.

  12. Re: Why did linux change to DST too early in the USA?

    On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 16:32:42 -0400,
    Keith Windsor wrote:

    > "Jim Richardson" wrote in message
    >>

    >> You've got a mix of dapper and edgy in there, that's not good. Don't
    >> know if that's the core of the problem or not, since Dapper is also on
    >> the later version of the tzdata, but I'd remove all the lines in
    >> /etc/apt/sources.list that refer to dapper.
    >>

    > Thanks again.
    >
    > That's certainly interesting. I had 'Dapper' installed previously. Then I
    > used the "automatic update" to upgrade me to "Edgy" a couple of days ago
    > which is when I complained that it didn't take me straight to the latest
    > version. That the automatic update only upgraded me one version at a time.

    Did you have anything like automatix or easybuntu installed at the time?
    scripts that add repositories for things like mp3, flash and java and such?

    > During the upgrade it downloaded around 570 Megs and the update ran without
    > any errors, warnings or anything. It told me I needed to reboot to complete
    > the upgrade which I did and all appears to be working. Until the DST issue
    > that is. And now it looks like a Franken-build has taken over my machine.

    Dunno what the core error is, I would expect the dapper lines to mostly
    be ignored as they have stuff that's lower in version than the Edgy
    stuff, but I don't know for sure.

    > Maybe the best thing to do at this point is to screw the "automatic updates"
    > and simply download "Gutsy", burn the CD and boot+install right from the CD.

    Certainly an option. I did an upgrade from Dapper -> edgy on my laptop,
    later, went to feisty and then did a clean install to Gutsy when it came
    out (I had done an upgrade to Gutsy when it was still in pre-release,
    and it broke a couple of minor things, so I decided to reinstall when
    Gutsy was released ) My desktop has been upgraded since Dapper, with no
    problems like you experienced.

    Beer makes you feel the way you ought to feel without beer.
    -- Henry Lawson

  13. Re: Why did linux change to DST too early in the USA?

    Jim Richardson wrote:

    > You've got a mix of dapper and edgy in there, that's not good. Don't
    > know if that's the core of the problem or not, since Dapper is also on
    > the later version of the tzdata, but I'd remove all the lines in
    > /etc/apt/sources.list that refer to dapper.

    Good goat.. The OP yells & balls about the OS " WRONGLY adjusted themselves
    to daylight savings time which starts NEXT WEEKEND... not this past
    weekend." i.e. blames the OS. Turns out that they have a mix of Dapper &
    Edgy on the machines....that's an *admin* screwup, not the OS. Typical
    wintroll, blame Linux when you know f8ck all about it.

    --
    Operating systems: FreeBSD 6.2, PC-BSD 1.4,
    Testing: FreeBSD 7.0-BETA1.5

  14. Re: Why did linux change to DST too early in the USA?

    "Jim Richardson" wrote in message
    newsuanv4-g8q.ln1@dragon.myth...

    > On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 16:32:42 -0400,
    > Keith Windsor wrote:
    >>
    >> "Jim Richardson" wrote in message
    >>>

    >>> You've got a mix of dapper and edgy in there, that's not good. Don't
    >>> know if that's the core of the problem or not, since Dapper is also on
    >>> the later version of the tzdata, but I'd remove all the lines in
    >>> /etc/apt/sources.list that refer to dapper.
    >>>

    >> Thanks again.
    >>
    >> That's certainly interesting. I had 'Dapper' installed previously. Then I
    >> used the "automatic update" to upgrade me to "Edgy" a couple of days ago
    >> which is when I complained that it didn't take me straight to the latest
    >> version. That the automatic update only upgraded me one version at a
    >> time.
    >>

    > Did you have anything like automatix or easybuntu installed at the time?
    > scripts that add repositories for things like mp3, flash and java and
    > such?

    Not that I'm aware of. I ran 'dpkg --get-selections' and looked for
    automatix and easybuntu but they didn't appear in the list. I'm assuming
    that if they were installed then 'dpkg --get-selections' would have listed
    them.

    As I mentioned earlier in the thread. On this machine I installed a fresh
    copy of "Dapper Drake 6.06 LTS" from bare metal on this machine. I then used
    the automatic update to upgrade the machine to "6.10 Edgy Eft" I realize
    this isn't the absolute latest version but it's the version that it upgraded
    me to. But it appears that the upgrade wasn't quite right.

    >> During the upgrade it downloaded around 570 Megs and the update ran
    >> without
    >> any errors, warnings or anything. It told me I needed to reboot to
    >> complete
    >> the upgrade which I did and all appears to be working. Until the DST
    >> issue
    >> that is. And now it looks like a Franken-build has taken over my machine.
    >>

    > Dunno what the core error is, I would expect the dapper lines to mostly
    > be ignored as they have stuff that's lower in version than the Edgy
    > stuff, but I don't know for sure.

    This is all new to me. Manually setting the time isn't a big deal (it'll be
    right this weekend anyway). But who knows what else isn't working right.

    >> Maybe the best thing to do at this point is to screw the "automatic
    >> updates"
    >> and simply download "Gutsy", burn the CD and boot+install right from the
    >> CD.
    >>

    > Certainly an option. I did an upgrade from Dapper -> edgy on my laptop,
    > later, went to feisty and then did a clean install to Gutsy when it came
    > out (I had done an upgrade to Gutsy when it was still in pre-release,
    > and it broke a couple of minor things, so I decided to reinstall when
    > Gutsy was released ) My desktop has been upgraded since Dapper, with no
    > problems like you experienced.

    This sounds like the best alternative. I'll download and burn the CD later
    today when I get some time.

    Thank you again.

  15. Re: Why did linux change to DST too early in the USA?

    "William Poaster" wrote in message
    > Jim Richardson wrote:
    >

    >> You've got a mix of dapper and edgy in there, that's not good. Don't
    >> know if that's the core of the problem or not, since Dapper is also on
    >> the later version of the tzdata, but I'd remove all the lines in
    >> /etc/apt/sources.list that refer to dapper.

    > Good goat.. The OP yells & balls about the OS " WRONGLY adjusted
    > themselves
    > to daylight savings time which starts NEXT WEEKEND... not this past
    > weekend." i.e. blames the OS. Turns out that they have a mix of Dapper &
    > Edgy on the machines....that's an *admin* screwup, not the OS. Typical
    > wintroll, blame Linux when you know f8ck all about it.

    No fool. It's not an *admin* screwup. The automatic upgrade from 6.06 to 6.1
    is what screwed up. Anyone with half a brain who followed this thread should
    be able to figure this out since not once did I mention an "Admin" anywhere
    at any time. The mix of Dapper and Edgy is the result of letting Ubuntu
    upgrade the system.

    Then again, what can you expect from the same fool that thinks that
    connecting to a NTP time server will somehow correct time-zone information.
    You are beyond a worthless fool.

    > --
    > Operating systems: FreeBSD 6.2, PC-BSD 1.4,
    > Testing: FreeBSD 7.0-BETA1.5
    > Linux systems: Debian 4.0, PCLinuxOS 2007,
    > Kubuntu 7.10 "Gutsy"

  16. Re: Why did linux change to DST too early in the USA?

    Jim Richardson espoused:

    > On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 16:32:42 -0400,
    > Keith Windsor wrote:
    >>
    >> "Jim Richardson" wrote in message
    >>>

    >>> You've got a mix of dapper and edgy in there, that's not good. Don't
    >>> know if that's the core of the problem or not, since Dapper is also on
    >>> the later version of the tzdata, but I'd remove all the lines in
    >>> /etc/apt/sources.list that refer to dapper.
    >>>

    >> Thanks again.
    >>
    >> That's certainly interesting. I had 'Dapper' installed previously. Then I
    >> used the "automatic update" to upgrade me to "Edgy" a couple of days ago
    >> which is when I complained that it didn't take me straight to the latest
    >> version. That the automatic update only upgraded me one version at a time.
    >>

    > Did you have anything like automatix or easybuntu installed at the time?
    > scripts that add repositories for things like mp3, flash and java and such?
    >

    >> During the upgrade it downloaded around 570 Megs and the update ran without
    >> any errors, warnings or anything. It told me I needed to reboot to complete
    >> the upgrade which I did and all appears to be working. Until the DST issue
    >> that is. And now it looks like a Franken-build has taken over my machine.
    >>

    > Dunno what the core error is, I would expect the dapper lines to mostly
    > be ignored as they have stuff that's lower in version than the Edgy
    > stuff, but I don't know for sure.
    >
    >> Maybe the best thing to do at this point is to screw the "automatic updates"
    >> and simply download "Gutsy", burn the CD and boot+install right from the CD.
    >>

    > Certainly an option. I did an upgrade from Dapper -> edgy on my laptop,
    > later, went to feisty and then did a clean install to Gutsy when it came
    > out (I had done an upgrade to Gutsy when it was still in pre-release,
    > and it broke a couple of minor things, so I decided to reinstall when
    > Gutsy was released ) My desktop has been upgraded since Dapper, with no
    > problems like you experienced.

    Ah, well, we get to the bottom of the problems of another troll... The
    great thing about linux, though, is that you can always fix these
    things, even with they're "administator induced" problems.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2