Software that runs on both Linux and WIndows - Linux

This is a discussion on Software that runs on both Linux and WIndows - Linux ; Unfortunately due to circumstances I spend a lot of time in Windows and a lot of time in Linux, mainly one ( dual-boot) computer, I have others but they are dedicated. The thing is that it would be most convenient ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 35

  1. Software that runs on both Linux and WIndows

    Unfortunately due to circumstances I spend a lot of time in Windows
    and a lot of time in Linux, mainly one ( dual-boot) computer, I have
    others but they are dedicated.

    The thing is that it would be most convenient for me if I had software
    that would not only run on both platforms but
    could use the same files ( for example a db kept on a FAT32
    partition ). At this time in particular, I am looking for a PIM and a
    password manager.

    Does anyone know of a site that is dedicated to such software?

    --
    Thad

  2. Re: Software that runs on both Linux and WIndows

    doctlo-icfp@yahoo.com wrote:

    > Unfortunately due to circumstances I spend a lot of time in Windows
    > and a lot of time in Linux, mainly one ( dual-boot) computer, I have
    > others but they are dedicated.
    >
    > The thing is that it would be most convenient for me if I had software
    > that would not only run on both platforms but
    > could use the same files ( for example a db kept on a FAT32
    > partition ). At this time in particular, I am looking for a PIM and a
    > password manager.
    >
    > Does anyone know of a site that is dedicated to such software?
    >

    > --
    > Thad

    Have you thought of running Wine on your linux box? It runs windows
    executables pretty nicely. http://www.winehq.org/

  3. Re: Software that runs on both Linux and WIndows

    In article , Virtual_Ron wrote:
    >doctlo-icfp@yahoo.com wrote:
    >
    >> Unfortunately due to circumstances I spend a lot of time in Windows
    >> and a lot of time in Linux, mainly one ( dual-boot) computer, I have
    >> others but they are dedicated.
    >>
    >> The thing is that it would be most convenient for me if I had software
    >> that would not only run on both platforms but
    >> could use the same files ( for example a db kept on a FAT32
    >> partition ). At this time in particular, I am looking for a PIM and a
    >> password manager.
    >>
    >> Does anyone know of a site that is dedicated to such software?
    >> --
    >> Thad

    >Have you thought of running Wine on your linux box? It runs windows
    >executables pretty nicely. http://www.winehq.org/

    Is it running them as fast as in native windows?

    --
    The most powerful Usenet tool you have ever heard of.
    NewsMaestro v. 4.0.5 - Way Too Cool has been released.

    Automatic enablement of all buttons, checkboxes and fields
    depending on operation.
    Templates generator improvements.

    Job list improvements for new installations having no jobs
    to begin with.

    In some previous releases some class files were missing.
    As a result, the program would not run.
    Sorry for the inconvenience.

    Multi-job support and other important feature additions
    and various improvements and optimizations.

    Web page:
    http://newsmaestro.sourceforge.net/

    Download page:
    http://newsmaestro.sourceforge.net/D...nformation.htm

    Send any feedback to newsmaestroinfo \at/ mail.ru.
    Your personal info will not be released and your privacy
    will be honored.

  4. Re: Software that runs on both Linux and WIndows

    In article , Virtual_Ron wrote:
    >doctlo-icfp@yahoo.com wrote:
    >
    >> Unfortunately due to circumstances I spend a lot of time in Windows
    >> and a lot of time in Linux, mainly one ( dual-boot) computer, I have
    >> others but they are dedicated.
    >>
    >> The thing is that it would be most convenient for me if I had software
    >> that would not only run on both platforms but
    >> could use the same files ( for example a db kept on a FAT32
    >> partition ). At this time in particular, I am looking for a PIM and a
    >> password manager.
    >>
    >> Does anyone know of a site that is dedicated to such software?
    >> --
    >> Thad

    >Have you thought of running Wine on your linux box? It runs windows
    >executables pretty nicely. http://www.winehq.org/

    Is it running them as fast as in native windows?

    --
    The most powerful Usenet tool you have ever heard of.
    NewsMaestro v. 4.0.5 - Way Too Cool has been released.

    Automatic enablement of all buttons, checkboxes and fields
    depending on operation.
    Templates generator improvements.

    Job list improvements for new installations having no jobs
    to begin with.

    In some previous releases some class files were missing.
    As a result, the program would not run.
    Sorry for the inconvenience.

    Multi-job support and other important feature additions
    and various improvements and optimizations.

    Web page:
    http://newsmaestro.sourceforge.net/

    Download page:
    http://newsmaestro.sourceforge.net/D...nformation.htm

    Send any feedback to newsmaestroinfo \at/ mail.ru.
    Your personal info will not be released and your privacy
    will be honored.

  5. Re: Software that runs on both Linux and WIndows

    On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 13:38:46 -0600, doctlo-icfp wrote:

    > Unfortunately due to circumstances I spend a lot of time in Windows and
    > a lot of time in Linux, mainly one ( dual-boot) computer, I have others
    > but they are dedicated.
    >
    > The thing is that it would be most convenient for me if I had software
    > that would not only run on both platforms but could use the same files (
    > for example a db kept on a FAT32 partition ). At this time in
    > particular, I am looking for a PIM and a password manager.
    >
    > Does anyone know of a site that is dedicated to such software?

    Keepass is a cross platform password manager.Both the Windows and the
    Linux version will use the same .db file.Not sure if it's in the repos
    but there's plenty on the homepage to guide you
    http://keepass.info/index.html

    Dave

    --
    Registered Linux user # 444770

  6. Re: Software that runs on both Linux and WIndows

    On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 01:33:34 +0000, Almond wrote:

    > In article , Virtual_Ron
    > wrote:
    >>doctlo-icfp@yahoo.com wrote:
    >>
    >>> Unfortunately due to circumstances I spend a lot of time in Windows
    >>> and a lot of time in Linux, mainly one ( dual-boot) computer, I have
    >>> others but they are dedicated.
    >>>
    >>> The thing is that it would be most convenient for me if I had software
    >>> that would not only run on both platforms but could use the same files
    >>> ( for example a db kept on a FAT32 partition ). At this time in
    >>> particular, I am looking for a PIM and a password manager.
    >>>
    >>> Does anyone know of a site that is dedicated to such software? --
    >>> Thad

    >>Have you thought of running Wine on your linux box? It runs windows
    >>executables pretty nicely. http://www.winehq.org/

    > Is it running them as fast as in native windows?

    Usually. Sometimes, the Windows apps run faster under Wine than they do
    under Windows itself.

    Stef

  7. Re: Software that runs on both Linux and WIndows

    On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 01:33:34 +0000, Almond wrote:

    > In article , Virtual_Ron
    > wrote:
    >>doctlo-icfp@yahoo.com wrote:
    >>
    >>> Unfortunately due to circumstances I spend a lot of time in Windows
    >>> and a lot of time in Linux, mainly one ( dual-boot) computer, I have
    >>> others but they are dedicated.
    >>>
    >>> The thing is that it would be most convenient for me if I had software
    >>> that would not only run on both platforms but could use the same files
    >>> ( for example a db kept on a FAT32 partition ). At this time in
    >>> particular, I am looking for a PIM and a password manager.
    >>>
    >>> Does anyone know of a site that is dedicated to such software? --
    >>> Thad

    >>Have you thought of running Wine on your linux box? It runs windows
    >>executables pretty nicely. http://www.winehq.org/

    > Is it running them as fast as in native windows?

    Usually. Sometimes, the Windows apps run faster under Wine than they do
    under Windows itself.

    Stef

  8. Re: Software that runs on both Linux and WIndows

    In article , Stefan Patric
    wrote:
    >On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 01:33:34 +0000, Almond wrote:
    >
    >> In article , Virtual_Ron
    >> wrote:

    >>>Have you thought of running Wine on your linux box? It runs windows
    >>>executables pretty nicely. http://www.winehq.org/

    >> Is it running them as fast as in native windows?

    >Usually. Sometimes, the Windows apps run faster under Wine than they do
    >under Windows itself.

    Interesting.
    Does everything run, or just some specific apps?

    --
    The most powerful Usenet tool you have ever heard of.
    NewsMaestro v. 4.0.5 - Way Too Cool has been released.

    Automatic enablement of all buttons, checkboxes and fields
    depending on operation.
    Templates generator improvements.

    Job list improvements for new installations having no jobs
    to begin with.

    In some previous releases some class files were missing.
    As a result, the program would not run.
    Sorry for the inconvenience.

    Multi-job support and other important feature additions
    and various improvements and optimizations.

    Web page:
    http://newsmaestro.sourceforge.net/

    Download page:
    http://newsmaestro.sourceforge.net/D...nformation.htm

    Send any feedback to newsmaestroinfo \at/ mail.ru.
    Your personal info will not be released and your privacy
    will be honored.

  9. Re: Software that runs on both Linux and WIndows

    --
    The most powerful Usenet tool you have ever heard of.
    NewsMaestro v. 4.0.5 - Way Too Cool has been released.

    Automatic enablement of all buttons, checkboxes and fields
    depending on operation.
    Templates generator improvements.

    Job list improvements for new installations having no jobs
    to begin with.

    In some previous releases some class files were missing.
    As a result, the program would not run.
    Sorry for the inconvenience.

    Multi-job support and other important feature additions
    and various improvements and optimizations.

    Web page:
    http://newsmaestro.sourceforge.net/

    Download page:
    http://newsmaestro.sourceforge.net/D...nformation.htm

    Send any feedback to newsmaestroinfo \at/ mail.ru.
    Your personal info will not be released and your privacy
    will be honored.

  10. Re: Software that runs on both Linux and WIndows

    Almond wrote:

    > Interesting.
    > Does everything run, or just some specific apps?

    They've tried to make it general, but at present it doesn't cover /every/
    Windows application. They covered the applications that are most likely to
    be wanted by recent migrants to Linux, like Windows Office, but it won't
    run most Windows games (for example). The Wine people publish a
    compatibility list: http://appdb.winehq.org/ - and more applications are
    added every week.

    C.

  11. Re: Software that runs on both Linux and WIndows

    Almond wrote:

    > Interesting.
    > Does everything run, or just some specific apps?

    They've tried to make it general, but at present it doesn't cover /every/
    Windows application. They covered the applications that are most likely to
    be wanted by recent migrants to Linux, like Windows Office, but it won't
    run most Windows games (for example). The Wine people publish a
    compatibility list: http://appdb.winehq.org/ - and more applications are
    added every week.

    C.

  12. Re: Software that runs on both Linux and WIndows

    doctlo-icfp@yahoo.com wrote:
    > Unfortunately due to circumstances I spend a lot of time in Windows
    > and a lot of time in Linux, mainly one ( dual-boot) computer, I have
    > others but they are dedicated.
    >
    > The thing is that it would be most convenient for me if I had software
    > that would not only run on both platforms but
    > could use the same files ( for example a db kept on a FAT32
    > partition ). At this time in particular, I am looking for a PIM and a
    > password manager.
    >
    > Does anyone know of a site that is dedicated to such software?
    >

    > --
    > Thad

    If you are a programmer you could write your own software. This way you
    are guaranteed to get software working the way you want. Some computer
    languages are not cross-platform compatible. One language which is, is
    Python. To get the sound and graphics working on other machines, just
    change the sound and graphics modules to the appropriate platform.

    Alternatively you may want to investigate web based apps.

    Later
    Mike

  13. Re: Software that runs on both Linux and WIndows

    On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 13:38:46 -0600, doctlo-icfp wrote:

    > At this time in particular, I am looking for a PIM and a

    evolution is native to linux and windows versions are available
    for download:
    http://www.softpedia.com/get/Interne...-Windows.shtml
    or
    http://shellter.sourceforge.net/evolution/

    ---<(kaimartin)>---
    --
    Kai-Martin Knaak
    http://lilalaser.de/blog

  14. Re: Software that runs on both Linux and WIndows

    "Stefan Patric" ha scritto nel messaggio

    >>>Have you thought of running Wine on your linux box? It runs windows
    >>>executables pretty nicely. http://www.winehq.org/

    >> Is it running them as fast as in native windows?

    > Usually. Sometimes, the Windows apps run faster under Wine than they do
    > under Windows itself.

    Have you some benchmarks to prove that?

    Frankly speaking, I don't buy this thing that Wine-emulated Windows apps run
    faster than native Windows apps...
    (but I'm open to correct my idea.)

    Giovanni

  15. Re: Software that runs on both Linux and WIndows

    "Stefan Patric" ha scritto nel messaggio

    >>>Have you thought of running Wine on your linux box? It runs windows
    >>>executables pretty nicely. http://www.winehq.org/

    >> Is it running them as fast as in native windows?

    > Usually. Sometimes, the Windows apps run faster under Wine than they do
    > under Windows itself.

    Have you some benchmarks to prove that?

    Frankly speaking, I don't buy this thing that Wine-emulated Windows apps run
    faster than native Windows apps...
    (but I'm open to correct my idea.)

    Giovanni

  16. Re: Software that runs on both Linux and WIndows

    Giovanni Dicanio wrote:
    > "Stefan Patric" ha scritto nel messaggio

    >>> Is it running them as fast as in native windows?

    >> Usually. Sometimes, the Windows apps run faster under Wine than they do
    >> under Windows itself.

    > Have you some benchmarks to prove that?
    >
    > Frankly speaking, I don't buy this thing that Wine-emulated Windows apps run
    > faster than native Windows apps...
    > (but I'm open to correct my idea.)
    >
    > Giovanni

    http://wiki.winehq.org/BenchMark-0.9.5

  17. Re: Software that runs on both Linux and WIndows

    Giovanni Dicanio wrote:
    > "Stefan Patric" ha scritto nel messaggio

    >>> Is it running them as fast as in native windows?

    >> Usually. Sometimes, the Windows apps run faster under Wine than they do
    >> under Windows itself.

    > Have you some benchmarks to prove that?
    >
    > Frankly speaking, I don't buy this thing that Wine-emulated Windows apps run
    > faster than native Windows apps...
    > (but I'm open to correct my idea.)
    >
    > Giovanni

    http://wiki.winehq.org/BenchMark-0.9.5

  18. Re: Software that runs on both Linux and WIndows

    "Giovanni Dicanio" wrote in message

    > "Stefan Patric" ha scritto nel messaggio

    >>> Is it running them as fast as in native windows?

    >> Usually. Sometimes, the Windows apps run faster under Wine than they do
    >> under Windows itself.

    > Have you some benchmarks to prove that?
    >
    > Frankly speaking, I don't buy this thing that Wine-emulated Windows apps
    > run faster than native Windows apps...
    > (but I'm open to correct my idea.)

    I know WABI (Sun) was (many years ago) sure slow as syrup.

  19. Re: Software that runs on both Linux and WIndows

    "Giovanni Dicanio" wrote in message

    > "Stefan Patric" ha scritto nel messaggio

    >>> Is it running them as fast as in native windows?

    >> Usually. Sometimes, the Windows apps run faster under Wine than they do
    >> under Windows itself.

    > Have you some benchmarks to prove that?
    >
    > Frankly speaking, I don't buy this thing that Wine-emulated Windows apps
    > run faster than native Windows apps...
    > (but I'm open to correct my idea.)

    I know WABI (Sun) was (many years ago) sure slow as syrup.

  20. Re: Software that runs on both Linux and WIndows

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Douglas O'Neal

    wrote
    on Wed, 31 Oct 2007 15:10:55 -0400
    :
    > Giovanni Dicanio wrote:
    >> "Stefan Patric" ha scritto nel messaggio

    >>> Usually. Sometimes, the Windows apps run faster under Wine than they do
    >>> under Windows itself.

    >> Have you some benchmarks to prove that?
    >>
    >> Frankly speaking, I don't buy this thing that Wine-emulated Windows apps run
    >> faster than native Windows apps...
    >> (but I'm open to correct my idea.)
    >>
    >> Giovanni
    >>

    > http://wiki.winehq.org/BenchMark-0.9.5

    These benchmarks are actually rather interesting --
    the problem of course is that there's no clear winner
    (though there's a clear leader in many of the tests)
    and it depends heavily on what the application is
    doing, and what the user is doing with the application.
    As the benchmarks stipulate, within the narrow (but not
    atypical) setup postulated in the benchmark, WinE runs
    faster in 67 out of 148 tests. Unfortunately, either WinE
    or XP aborted 18 of the tests for some reason, and WinE
    lagged badly (more than 50.1%) on 21 other tests.

    So take these tests with appropriate seasoning, but they
    are very encouraging -- at least to WinE users. I don't
    know whether Microsoft will improve its OS, "improve" its
    applications so that they can no longer run under WinE,
    or what.

    Followups.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Useless C++ Programming Idea #7878218:
    class C { private: virtual void stupid() = 0; };

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast