Software that runs on both Linux and WIndows - Linux

This is a discussion on Software that runs on both Linux and WIndows - Linux ; In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Douglas O'Neal wrote on Wed, 31 Oct 2007 15:10:55 -0400 : > Giovanni Dicanio wrote: >> "Stefan Patric" ha scritto nel messaggio >> news:XEyVi.56170$054.2686@newsfe14.phx... >> >>>>> Have you thought of running Wine on your linux box? It runs ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 35 of 35

  1. Re: Software that runs on both Linux and WIndows

    :
    > Giovanni Dicanio wrote:
    >> "Stefan Patric" ha scritto nel messaggio

    >>> Usually. Sometimes, the Windows apps run faster under Wine than they do
    >>> under Windows itself.

    >> Have you some benchmarks to prove that?
    >>
    >> Frankly speaking, I don't buy this thing that Wine-emulated Windows apps run
    >> faster than native Windows apps...
    >> (but I'm open to correct my idea.)
    >>
    >> Giovanni
    >>

    > http://wiki.winehq.org/BenchMark-0.9.5

    These benchmarks are actually rather interesting --
    the problem of course is that there's no clear winner
    (though there's a clear leader in many of the tests)
    and it depends heavily on what the application is
    doing, and what the user is doing with the application.
    As the benchmarks stipulate, within the narrow (but not
    atypical) setup postulated in the benchmark, WinE runs
    faster in 67 out of 148 tests. Unfortunately, either WinE
    or XP aborted 18 of the tests for some reason, and WinE
    lagged badly (more than 50.1%) on 21 other tests.

    So take these tests with appropriate seasoning, but they
    are very encouraging -- at least to WinE users. I don't
    know whether Microsoft will improve its OS, "improve" its
    applications so that they can no longer run under WinE,
    or what.

    Followups.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Useless C++ Programming Idea #7878218:
    class C { private: virtual void stupid() = 0; };

  2. Re: Software that runs on both Linux and WIndows

    there are also another producs "or parts"

    cedega, crossover office

    cedega is special for games

    "Giovanni Dicanio" wrote in message

    > "Stefan Patric" ha scritto nel messaggio

    >>> Is it running them as fast as in native windows?

    >> Usually. Sometimes, the Windows apps run faster under Wine than they do
    >> under Windows itself.

    > Have you some benchmarks to prove that?
    >
    > Frankly speaking, I don't buy this thing that Wine-emulated Windows apps
    > run faster than native Windows apps...
    > (but I'm open to correct my idea.)
    >
    > Giovanni

  3. Re: Software that runs on both Linux and WIndows

    there are also another producs "or parts"

    cedega, crossover office

    cedega is special for games

    "Giovanni Dicanio" wrote in message

    > "Stefan Patric" ha scritto nel messaggio

    >>> Is it running them as fast as in native windows?

    >> Usually. Sometimes, the Windows apps run faster under Wine than they do
    >> under Windows itself.

    > Have you some benchmarks to prove that?
    >
    > Frankly speaking, I don't buy this thing that Wine-emulated Windows apps
    > run faster than native Windows apps...
    > (but I'm open to correct my idea.)
    >
    > Giovanni

  4. Re: Software that runs on both Linux and WIndows

    "Douglas O'Neal" wrote in message
    > Giovanni Dicanio wrote:
    >> "Stefan Patric" ha scritto nel messaggio

    >>> Usually. Sometimes, the Windows apps run faster under Wine than they
    >>> do
    >>> under Windows itself.

    >> Have you some benchmarks to prove that?
    >>
    >> Frankly speaking, I don't buy this thing that Wine-emulated Windows apps
    >> run
    >> faster than native Windows apps...
    >> (but I'm open to correct my idea.)
    >>
    >> Giovanni
    >>

    > http://wiki.winehq.org/BenchMark-0.9.5

    Oh yeah. Let the people who write WINE run these benchmarks so they can
    tell you just how fast WINE is. While you're looking at these "impartial"
    benchmarks why not go to Microsoft.com for an "unbiased" benchmark that
    compares Windows performance to linux.

    Here's an independent benchmark although even Phoronix tends to be very
    linux oriented.

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item=882&num=5

    Ubuntu 7.1 + WINE vs Windows XP

    Windows was the clear winner by a landslide. Windows XP was noticeably
    faster and in some cases was nearly five times faster. The ONLY test where
    WINE had outperformed Windows was with the 3DMark03 CPU Test.

  5. Re: Software that runs on both Linux and WIndows

    "Douglas O'Neal" wrote in message
    > Giovanni Dicanio wrote:
    >> "Stefan Patric" ha scritto nel messaggio

    >>> Usually. Sometimes, the Windows apps run faster under Wine than they
    >>> do
    >>> under Windows itself.

    >> Have you some benchmarks to prove that?
    >>
    >> Frankly speaking, I don't buy this thing that Wine-emulated Windows apps
    >> run
    >> faster than native Windows apps...
    >> (but I'm open to correct my idea.)
    >>
    >> Giovanni
    >>

    > http://wiki.winehq.org/BenchMark-0.9.5

    Oh yeah. Let the people who write WINE run these benchmarks so they can
    tell you just how fast WINE is. While you're looking at these "impartial"
    benchmarks why not go to Microsoft.com for an "unbiased" benchmark that
    compares Windows performance to linux.

    Here's an independent benchmark although even Phoronix tends to be very
    linux oriented.

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item=882&num=5

    Ubuntu 7.1 + WINE vs Windows XP

    Windows was the clear winner by a landslide. Windows XP was noticeably
    faster and in some cases was nearly five times faster. The ONLY test where
    WINE had outperformed Windows was with the 3DMark03 CPU Test.

  6. Re: Software that runs on both Linux and WIndows

    Bruce Banner wrote:

    > "Douglas O'Neal" wrote in message
    >> Giovanni Dicanio wrote:
    >>> "Stefan Patric" ha scritto nel messaggio

    >>> Have you some benchmarks to prove that?
    >>>
    >>> Frankly speaking, I don't buy this thing that Wine-emulated Windows apps
    >>> run
    >>> faster than native Windows apps...
    >>> (but I'm open to correct my idea.)
    >>>
    >>> Giovanni
    >>>

    >> http://wiki.winehq.org/BenchMark-0.9.5

    > Oh yeah. Let the people who write WINE run these benchmarks so they can
    > tell you just how fast WINE is. While you're looking at these "impartial"
    > benchmarks why not go to Microsoft.com for an "unbiased" benchmark that
    > compares Windows performance to linux.
    >
    > Here's an independent benchmark although even Phoronix tends to be very
    > linux oriented.
    >
    > http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item=882&num=5
    >

    > Ubuntu 7.1 + WINE vs Windows XP
    >
    > Windows was the clear winner by a landslide. Windows XP was noticeably
    > faster and in some cases was nearly five times faster. The ONLY test where
    > WINE had outperformed Windows was with the 3DMark03 CPU Test.

    Let me get this straight... You are bashing the WINDOWS EMULATOR because it
    fails to run window programs at native speeds? You even try to make this
    seem like a linux problem of some sort...

    You are a TOTAL idiot! GET A CLUE...

    An emulator will never run programs as fast as the platform it is emulating.
    The beauty of wine is... you don' needs windows to run windows apps on the
    Linux platform.

    Personally, I think wine should be abandoned. Supporting windows on Linux is
    not something I agree with...

    People, like yourself, are nothing more than windows weenie... try to spread
    fud where you can and try to make it sound substantial.

    Stick your fud where the sun dont shine, you idiot! You're looking pretty
    stupid here...

    --

    Jerry McBride (jmcbride@mail-on.us

  7. Re: Software that runs on both Linux and WIndows

    Bruce Banner wrote:

    > "Douglas O'Neal" wrote in message
    >> Giovanni Dicanio wrote:
    >>> "Stefan Patric" ha scritto nel messaggio

    >>> Have you some benchmarks to prove that?
    >>>
    >>> Frankly speaking, I don't buy this thing that Wine-emulated Windows apps
    >>> run
    >>> faster than native Windows apps...
    >>> (but I'm open to correct my idea.)
    >>>
    >>> Giovanni
    >>>

    >> http://wiki.winehq.org/BenchMark-0.9.5

    > Oh yeah. Let the people who write WINE run these benchmarks so they can
    > tell you just how fast WINE is. While you're looking at these "impartial"
    > benchmarks why not go to Microsoft.com for an "unbiased" benchmark that
    > compares Windows performance to linux.
    >
    > Here's an independent benchmark although even Phoronix tends to be very
    > linux oriented.
    >
    > http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item=882&num=5
    >

    > Ubuntu 7.1 + WINE vs Windows XP
    >
    > Windows was the clear winner by a landslide. Windows XP was noticeably
    > faster and in some cases was nearly five times faster. The ONLY test where
    > WINE had outperformed Windows was with the 3DMark03 CPU Test.

    Let me get this straight... You are bashing the WINDOWS EMULATOR because it
    fails to run window programs at native speeds? You even try to make this
    seem like a linux problem of some sort...

    You are a TOTAL idiot! GET A CLUE...

    An emulator will never run programs as fast as the platform it is emulating.
    The beauty of wine is... you don' needs windows to run windows apps on the
    Linux platform.

    Personally, I think wine should be abandoned. Supporting windows on Linux is
    not something I agree with...

    People, like yourself, are nothing more than windows weenie... try to spread
    fud where you can and try to make it sound substantial.

    Stick your fud where the sun dont shine, you idiot! You're looking pretty
    stupid here...

    --

    Jerry McBride (jmcbride@mail-on.us

  8. Re: Software that runs on both Linux and WIndows

    Those particular benchmarks just show relative quality of 3D driver on one
    platform vs another. Just fps. It's not like XP is faster or slower.

    "Bruce Banner" wrote in message
    news:472b8e8a$0$26491$88260bb3@free.teranews.com.. .

    > Oh yeah. Let the people who write WINE run these benchmarks so they can
    > tell you just how fast WINE is. While you're looking at these "impartial"
    > benchmarks why not go to Microsoft.com for an "unbiased" benchmark that
    > compares Windows performance to linux.
    >
    > Here's an independent benchmark although even Phoronix tends to be very
    > linux oriented.
    >
    > http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item=882&num=5
    >

    > Ubuntu 7.1 + WINE vs Windows XP
    >
    > Windows was the clear winner by a landslide. Windows XP was noticeably
    > faster and in some cases was nearly five times faster. The ONLY test where
    > WINE had outperformed Windows was with the 3DMark03 CPU Test.
    >

    > --

  9. Re: Software that runs on both Linux and WIndows

    Those particular benchmarks just show relative quality of 3D driver on one
    platform vs another. Just fps. It's not like XP is faster or slower.

    "Bruce Banner" wrote in message
    news:472b8e8a$0$26491$88260bb3@free.teranews.com.. .

    > Oh yeah. Let the people who write WINE run these benchmarks so they can
    > tell you just how fast WINE is. While you're looking at these "impartial"
    > benchmarks why not go to Microsoft.com for an "unbiased" benchmark that
    > compares Windows performance to linux.
    >
    > Here's an independent benchmark although even Phoronix tends to be very
    > linux oriented.
    >
    > http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item=882&num=5
    >

    > Ubuntu 7.1 + WINE vs Windows XP
    >
    > Windows was the clear winner by a landslide. Windows XP was noticeably
    > faster and in some cases was nearly five times faster. The ONLY test where
    > WINE had outperformed Windows was with the 3DMark03 CPU Test.
    >

    > --

  10. Re: Software that runs on both Linux and WIndows

    In article <#ZDL5dcHIHA.824@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl>, "Alexander Grigoriev" wrote:
    >Those particular benchmarks just show relative quality of 3D driver on one
    >platform vs another. Just fps. It's not like XP is faster or slower.
    >
    >"Bruce Banner" wrote in message
    >news:472b8e8a$0$26491$88260bb3@free.teranews.com.. .
    >>

    >> Oh yeah. Let the people who write WINE run these benchmarks so they can
    >> tell you just how fast WINE is. While you're looking at these "impartial"
    >> benchmarks why not go to Microsoft.com for an "unbiased" benchmark that
    >> compares Windows performance to linux.
    >>
    >> Here's an independent benchmark although even Phoronix tends to be very
    >> linux oriented.
    >>
    >> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item=882&num=5
    >>

    >> Ubuntu 7.1 + WINE vs Windows XP
    >>
    >> Windows was the clear winner by a landslide. Windows XP was noticeably
    >> faster and in some cases was nearly five times faster. The ONLY test where
    >> WINE had outperformed Windows was with the 3DMark03 CPU Test.

    Interesting. But someone just said recently that vine runs
    faster than native windoze.

    --
    The most powerful Usenet tool you have ever heard of.
    NewsMaestro v. 4.0.6 - Dictionary Update/Expert Mode has been released.

    * Significant improvement in symbol substitution mechanism
    for verb tense and plurals.
    * Expert mode.
    * Miscellaneous improvements and bug fixes.
    * Templates generator improvements.
    * Multi-job support.

    Note: In some previous releases some class files were missing.
    As a result, the program would not run.
    Sorry for the inconvenience.

    Web page:
    http://newsmaestro.sourceforge.net/

    Download page:
    http://newsmaestro.sourceforge.net/D...nformation.htm

    Send any feedback, ideas, suggestions, test results to
    newsmaestroinfo \at/ mail.ru.

    Your personal info will not be released and your privacy
    will be honored.

  11. Re: Software that runs on both Linux and WIndows

    In article <#ZDL5dcHIHA.824@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl>, "Alexander Grigoriev" wrote:
    >Those particular benchmarks just show relative quality of 3D driver on one
    >platform vs another. Just fps. It's not like XP is faster or slower.
    >
    >"Bruce Banner" wrote in message
    >news:472b8e8a$0$26491$88260bb3@free.teranews.com.. .
    >>

    >> Oh yeah. Let the people who write WINE run these benchmarks so they can
    >> tell you just how fast WINE is. While you're looking at these "impartial"
    >> benchmarks why not go to Microsoft.com for an "unbiased" benchmark that
    >> compares Windows performance to linux.
    >>
    >> Here's an independent benchmark although even Phoronix tends to be very
    >> linux oriented.
    >>
    >> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item=882&num=5
    >>

    >> Ubuntu 7.1 + WINE vs Windows XP
    >>
    >> Windows was the clear winner by a landslide. Windows XP was noticeably
    >> faster and in some cases was nearly five times faster. The ONLY test where
    >> WINE had outperformed Windows was with the 3DMark03 CPU Test.

    Interesting. But someone just said recently that vine runs
    faster than native windoze.

    --
    The most powerful Usenet tool you have ever heard of.
    NewsMaestro v. 4.0.6 - Dictionary Update/Expert Mode has been released.

    * Significant improvement in symbol substitution mechanism
    for verb tense and plurals.
    * Expert mode.
    * Miscellaneous improvements and bug fixes.
    * Templates generator improvements.
    * Multi-job support.

    Note: In some previous releases some class files were missing.
    As a result, the program would not run.
    Sorry for the inconvenience.

    Web page:
    http://newsmaestro.sourceforge.net/

    Download page:
    http://newsmaestro.sourceforge.net/D...nformation.htm

    Send any feedback, ideas, suggestions, test results to
    newsmaestroinfo \at/ mail.ru.

    Your personal info will not be released and your privacy
    will be honored.

  12. Re: Software that runs on both Linux and WIndows

    See below...
    On Fri, 02 Nov 2007 18:54:32 -0400, Jerry McBride wrote:

    >Bruce Banner wrote:
    >

    >> "Douglas O'Neal" wrote in message

    >>> http://wiki.winehq.org/BenchMark-0.9.5

    >> Oh yeah. Let the people who write WINE run these benchmarks so they can
    >> tell you just how fast WINE is. While you're looking at these "impartial"
    >> benchmarks why not go to Microsoft.com for an "unbiased" benchmark that
    >> compares Windows performance to linux.
    >>
    >> Here's an independent benchmark although even Phoronix tends to be very
    >> linux oriented.
    >>
    >> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item=882&num=5
    >>

    >> Ubuntu 7.1 + WINE vs Windows XP
    >>
    >> Windows was the clear winner by a landslide. Windows XP was noticeably
    >> faster and in some cases was nearly five times faster. The ONLY test where
    >> WINE had outperformed Windows was with the 3DMark03 CPU Test.
    >>

    >Let me get this straight... You are bashing the WINDOWS EMULATOR because it
    >fails to run window programs at native speeds? You even try to make this
    >seem like a linux problem of some sort...

    ****
    I saw no bashing; I did see that it was pointed out that WINE runs slower than native
    Win32. If facts constitute bashing, you need to get a clue.

    What it says is that if you plan to run a native WIndows app on linux, it will run slower.
    Whether or not this is a "problem" depends on your needs
    ****

    >You are a TOTAL idiot! GET A CLUE...
    >
    >An emulator will never run programs as fast as the platform it is emulating.
    >The beauty of wine is... you don' needs windows to run windows apps on the
    >Linux platform.

    ****
    Not true. I know several emulators that emulate their platforms faster than the native
    platforms, because the native platforms are quite old. You can emulate all kinds of old
    machines that had 1us instruction times without straining on a 2GHz machine, and in
    general they will run MUCH faster than the native platform ever did!

    I had the idea of running my 1401 emulator by having it generate native x86 code (it was
    running 7 times slower than the native platform) but then I got a machine 1000 times
    faster than the one I wrote it on, and, well, it runs its emulation about 100 times faster
    than the native platform. I've been told that the DEC-20 emulator running on a PC is a
    good 20 times faster than the original DEC-20.
    ****

    >Personally, I think wine should be abandoned. Supporting windows on Linux is
    >not something I agree with...

    ****
    Does this suggest that you believe that linux should be discarded and therefore Windows
    should win, or that everyone should adopt linux because it is smaller, faster, less
    capable, outdated, harder to use, and has a command line interface from the dark ages?

    I stopped using Unix in 1991 and have never been happier. In fact, in 1991, I could
    develop code on a PC under MS-DOS faster than I could develop code on Unix, because the
    compiler and linker were faster, the compiler had no bugs, the linker worked, and the
    debugger worked, none of which were true of Unix.
    ****

    >People, like yourself, are nothing more than windows weenie... try to spread
    >fud where you can and try to make it sound substantial.

    ****
    Why would I ever consider a platform for which very little software is available? At
    least, professional software with complete support departments? I just checked Adobe's
    Master Collection, and it is available for Windows and Mac OS X, but not linux. (I just
    got my copy, so it is sitting beside me). Don't tell me about OpenOffice: that is a very,
    very small part of what I do. Most of the tools I use are available only on Windows, or
    for Windows and Mac. Linux is not an interesting desktop market at the moment, and
    therefore not particularly interesting to other than hard-core linux types.

    Perhaps you are nothing more than a linux weenie, and believe that linux and free software
    solve all known problems. Alas, I've been living in the Real World far too long to
    believe that. As far as I can tell, the only real advantage seems to be that it makes a
    good server, and there's a lot of argument about whether or not that is really true.
    ****

    >Stick your fud where the sun dont shine, you idiot! You're looking pretty
    >stupid here...

    ****
    You're not looking too good, yourself...
    joe
    ****
    Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
    email: newcomer@flounder.com
    Web: http://www.flounder.com

  13. Re: Software that runs on both Linux and WIndows

    Jerry McBride writes:

    >Bruce Banner wrote:

    >> "Douglas O'Neal" wrote in message

    >>> http://wiki.winehq.org/BenchMark-0.9.5

    >> Oh yeah. Let the people who write WINE run these benchmarks so they can
    >> tell you just how fast WINE is. While you're looking at these "impartial"
    >> benchmarks why not go to Microsoft.com for an "unbiased" benchmark that
    >> compares Windows performance to linux.
    >>
    >> Here's an independent benchmark although even Phoronix tends to be very
    >> linux oriented.
    >>
    >> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item=882&num=5
    >>

    >> Ubuntu 7.1 + WINE vs Windows XP
    >>
    >> Windows was the clear winner by a landslide. Windows XP was noticeably
    >> faster and in some cases was nearly five times faster. The ONLY test where
    >> WINE had outperformed Windows was with the 3DMark03 CPU Test.
    >>

    >Let me get this straight... You are bashing the WINDOWS EMULATOR because it
    >fails to run window programs at native speeds? You even try to make this
    >seem like a linux problem of some sort...

    No, he was countering a claim that programs under wine run faster than
    programs under native windows. He found that hard to beleive.
    Mind you the benchmarks were pretty weird-- frames per second on graphics
    cards for some games. I guess if you are playing games that is important.
    Note that it might have more to do with the graphics drivers than with
    wine. Ie, as a benchmark it is has a pretty limited use.

  14. Re: Software that runs on both Linux and WIndows

    Bruce Banner wrote:
    > "Douglas O'Neal" wrote in message
    >> Giovanni Dicanio wrote:
    >>> "Stefan Patric" ha scritto nel messaggio

    >>> Have you some benchmarks to prove that?
    >>>
    >>> Frankly speaking, I don't buy this thing that Wine-emulated Windows apps
    >>> run
    >>> faster than native Windows apps...
    >>> (but I'm open to correct my idea.)
    >>>
    >>> Giovanni
    >>>

    >> http://wiki.winehq.org/BenchMark-0.9.5

    > Oh yeah. Let the people who write WINE run these benchmarks so they can
    > tell you just how fast WINE is. While you're looking at these "impartial"
    > benchmarks why not go to Microsoft.com for an "unbiased" benchmark that
    > compares Windows performance to linux.

    I generally assume that any product comparison is ether done by or paid
    for by an interested party and is biased. If they're not interested,
    then why bother with a comparison? The benchmark on the winehq site
    is better than many in that it explicitly lists the hardware used and
    lists the benchmarks with pointers to their source. I would like it
    even better however if the author provided more details about the
    software builds and patchlevels.

    Now on your part, can you criticize the benchmark itself instead of
    the benchmark's authors? If the numbers are solid then it doesn't
    matter who published them. By the same token, if the numbers are
    garbage, it doesn't matter who published them. So attack the
    numbers, not the publishers.

    Doug

  15. Re: Software that runs on both Linux and WIndows