The Woz disses Linux - Linux

This is a discussion on The Woz disses Linux - Linux ; http://laptopmag.com/Features/The-Wa...ings-Apple.htm Q o you think Linux has a lot of potential? A:I don't think it's going to make a big mark -- Bienaventurados los pesimistas, porque ellos harán backups. -- Www.frases.com ....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 29

  1. The Woz disses Linux

    http://laptopmag.com/Features/The-Wa...ings-Apple.htm

    Qo you think Linux has a lot of potential?
    A:I don't think it's going to make a big mark

    --
    Bienaventurados los pesimistas, porque ellos harán backups.
    -- Www.frases.com.

  2. Re: The Woz disses Linux

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Hadron belched out this bit o' wisdom:

    > http://laptopmag.com/Features/The-Wa...ings-Apple.htm
    >
    > Qo you think Linux has a lot of potential?
    > A:I don't think it's going to make a big mark

    Hey, ****-for-brains, that site doesn't even contain the word "Linux" on
    either page. Plus it is a barrage of animated ads.

    Thanks for nothing, putz.

  3. Re: The Woz disses Linux

    "Linonut" wrote in message
    news:slrnfibo75.bcj.linonut@mlsrock.launchmodem.co m...
    > After takin' a swig o' grog, Hadron belched out this bit o' wisdom:
    >
    >> http://laptopmag.com/Features/The-Wa...ings-Apple.htm
    >>
    >> Qo you think Linux has a lot of potential?
    >> A:I don't think it's going to make a big mark

    > Hey, ****-for-brains, that site doesn't even contain the word "Linux" on
    > either page. Plus it is a barrage of animated ads.

    Any who clicks on that link will certainly see that it's linonut who has
    "****-for-brains" because about 1/2 way down the page it says exactly who
    ****-for-brains-linonut is too stupid to see.

    L: Do you think Linux has a lot of potential?
    SW: I don't think it's going to make a big mark. The masses of users aren't
    going to be going that way. You have to be in a geeky crowd to take
    advantage of that. You have to be an expert, and not everyone is an expert.
    In my mind, it's very idealistic people, but most people want to take it
    easy.

    > Thanks for nothing, putz.

  4. Re: The Woz disses Linux

    Linonut writes:

    > After takin' a swig o' grog, Hadron belched out this bit o' wisdom:
    >
    >> http://laptopmag.com/Features/The-Wa...ings-Apple.htm
    >>
    >> Qo you think Linux has a lot of potential?
    >> A:I don't think it's going to make a big mark

    > Hey, ****-for-brains, that site doesn't even contain the word "Linux" on
    > either page. Plus it is a barrage of animated ads.
    >
    > Thanks for nothing, putz.

    You really are a ****ing moron.

    I just opened it again.

    Here is a direct cut and paste:

    ,----
    | L: Do you think Linux has a lot of potential?
    |
    | SW: I don't think it's going to make a big mark. The masses of users
    | aren't going to be going that way. You have to be in a geeky crowd to
    | take advantage of that. You have to be an expert, and not everyone is an
    | expert. In my mind, it's very idealistic people, but most people want to
    | take it easy.
    `----

    Have you been taking URL lessons from the Good German?

    --
    Mais sério que guri cagado.

  5. Re: The Woz disses Linux

    Hadron wrote:
    > http://laptopmag.com/Features/The-Wa...ings-Apple.htm
    >
    > Qo you think Linux has a lot of potential?
    > A:I don't think it's going to make a big mark

    "You have to be in a geeky crowd to take advantage of that."

    Except you don't have to be in a geeky crowd, especially if you obtain a
    box with Linux pre-installed.

  6. Re: The Woz disses Linux

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Hadron belched out this bit o' wisdom:

    > Linonut writes:
    >
    >> After takin' a swig o' grog, Hadron belched out this bit o' wisdom:
    >>
    >>> http://laptopmag.com/Features/The-Wa...ings-Apple.htm
    >>>
    >>> Qo you think Linux has a lot of potential?
    >>> A:I don't think it's going to make a big mark

    >> Hey, ****-for-brains, that site doesn't even contain the word "Linux" on
    >> either page. Plus it is a barrage of animated ads.
    >>
    >> Thanks for nothing, putz.

    > You really are a ****ing moron.
    >
    > I just opened it again.
    >
    > Have you been taking URL lessons from the Good German?

    Odd, my explicit search distinctly failed to find it the first time.
    Must have fat-fingered it.

    Doesn't matter, you are still a real ****-for-brains. I was enjoying
    your time away from here.

    And the Woz doesn't seem so smart, either.

    L: Do you think Linux has a lot of potential?
    SW: I don't think it's going to make a big mark.

    My God, what is he smoking? He's starting to dodder as much as Eric
    Raymond.

    --
    Tux rox!

  7. Re: The Woz disses Linux

    "Linonut" wrote in message
    news:slrnfibtld.cip.linonut@mlsrock.launchmodem.co m...
    > After takin' a swig o' grog, Hadron belched out this bit o' wisdom:
    >
    >> Linonut writes:
    >>
    >>> After takin' a swig o' grog, Hadron belched out this bit o' wisdom:

    >>> Hey, ****-for-brains, that site doesn't even contain the word "Linux" on
    >>> either page. Plus it is a barrage of animated ads.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks for nothing, putz.

    >> You really are a ****ing moron.
    >>
    >> I just opened it again.
    >>
    >> Have you been taking URL lessons from the Good German?

    > Odd, my explicit search distinctly failed to find it the first time.
    > Must have fat-fingered it.
    >
    > Doesn't matter, you are still a real ****-for-brains. I was enjoying
    > your time away from here.
    >
    > And the Woz doesn't seem so smart, either.
    >
    > L: Do you think Linux has a lot of potential?
    > SW: I don't think it's going to make a big mark.
    >
    > My God, what is he smoking? He's starting to dodder as much as Eric
    > Raymond.

    The difference is that the Woz has proven himself and has more credibility
    and respect in the computing world than all of the COLA idiots here combined
    will ever have. You boys can cry, whine and try to discredit the Woz all you
    want. But it his his words and his opinions that matter and affect this
    industry, not yours.

    > --
    > Tux rox!

  8. Re: The Woz disses Linux

    On Oct 29, 7:49 am, Hadron wrote:
    > http://laptopmag.com/Features/The-Wa...iak-on-All-Thi...
    >
    > Qo you think Linux has a lot of potential?
    > A:I don't think it's going to make a big mark

    The rest of his comment speaks volumes.

    You have to be in a geeky crowd to take advantage of that. You have to
    be an expert, and not everyone is an expert. In my mind, it's very
    idealistic people, but most people want to take it easy.

    That was probably legitimate for Slackware 1.1, but is much less true
    of SLED 10, Ubuntu 7, Linspire, Xandros, or RHED 5.

    These days, if you purchase a "Linux-Ready" desktop, you can generate
    a VM image using VMWare Converter, save it to a USB drive, load Linux
    using a DVD-ROM, the OS will configure itself at boot time (meaning
    you can change configurations easily), and when you want to run
    Windows, you can run it directly off the USB drive or copy the VM to
    the Linux file-system and get a better Windows than Windows.

    I'm sure that Woz tried Linux. Once. Back in 1994?

    Sure, the biggest barrier to entry for Linux is the requirement that
    end-users install Linux themselves. If you don't want to do it
    yourself, can you get Geek Squad to do it? (How soon before Best-Buy
    demands that option?).

    If you don't want to do it yourself, do you know someone who can do it
    for you? (the pool of those who know how to successfully install
    Linux on Linux-Ready machines is rapidly growing).

    If 1 in 10 PC users can install Linux for a friend each quarter, how
    long before Linux is pervasive?

    The irony is that Linux may penetrate over 50% of the market before it
    is officially recognized as a "market leader" even when it captures a
    larger share than OS/X.

    Remember. Apple is the number 3 PC maker now. Linux is showing
    indicators of an even larger market share. Yet Microsoft claims that
    it rightfully "OWNS" 99.9% of the market than that the courts have no
    right to prevent them from forcing OEMS to exclude competitor products
    from the OEM distribution channel.

    If Linux can capture enough market share to be the second most widely
    used operating system WITHOUT ever being displayed on the retailer
    shelves, imagine what would happen if Linux powered PCs WERE displayed
    on retailer shelves!

    Woz can say what he said, without looking like an idiot, because users
    can't walk into Best Buy, test-drive a Linux PC, and say "Steve, what
    kind of whacky-tobacky are you smoking, Linux is great!".

    Microsoft dreads the day when Best Buy shows Linux PCs in every
    store. Could they make that move this Christmas?

  9. Re: The Woz disses Linux

    Linonut writes:

    > After takin' a swig o' grog, Hadron belched out this bit o' wisdom:
    >
    >> Linonut writes:
    >>
    >>> After takin' a swig o' grog, Hadron belched out this bit o' wisdom:

    >>> Hey, ****-for-brains, that site doesn't even contain the word "Linux" on
    >>> either page. Plus it is a barrage of animated ads.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks for nothing, putz.

    >> You really are a ****ing moron.
    >>
    >> I just opened it again.
    >>
    >> Have you been taking URL lessons from the Good German?

    > Odd, my explicit search distinctly failed to find it the first time.
    > Must have fat-fingered it.

    Or maybe you are "too stupid to use Linux"? Maybe The Woz was right : it
    is only for intelligent experts.

    How stupid do you feel now. Still, you bring it on yourself.

    > Doesn't matter, you are still a real ****-for-brains. I was enjoying
    > your time away from here.
    >
    > And the Woz doesn't seem so smart, either.
    >
    > L: Do you think Linux has a lot of potential?
    > SW: I don't think it's going to make a big mark.
    >
    > My God, what is he smoking? He's starting to dodder as much as Eric
    > Raymond.

    Er, telling it as he sees it I guess. Now who to believe? Linonutsack
    who can't even use "find" or "search" properly or Steve Wozniak who
    designed the Apple and Apple II? Hmmm ......

    --
    If men acted after marriage as they do during courtship, there would
    be fewer divorces -- and more bankruptcies.

  10. Re: The Woz disses Linux

    "Hadron" schreef in bericht

    > http://laptopmag.com/Features/The-Wa...ings-Apple.htm
    >
    > Qo you think Linux has a lot of potential?
    > A:I don't think it's going to make a big mark

    It just shows that the Woz's clock stopped in the mid-1980's. Linux has
    already changed the world ten times the amount that Apple Mac has. Linux is
    everywhere, in cash registers, wifi routers, mobile phones, SAN-devices,
    vending machines, GPS navigators and more. It's truly ubiquitous, although
    it's invisible and works so reliably that people don't even notice it.

    And Ubuntu will match Mac OS X's marketshare within a year, if it hasn't
    already.

  11. Re: The Woz disses Linux

    Linonut wrote:

    > After takin' a swig o' grog, Hadron belched out this bit o' wisdom:

    > Doesn't matter, you are still a real ****-for-brains.

    The idiot troll's come back in here, has it.

    > I was enjoying your time away from here.

    > And the Woz doesn't seem so smart, either.
    >
    > L: Do you think Linux has a lot of potential?
    > SW: I don't think it's going to make a big mark.
    >
    > My God, what is he smoking? He's starting to dodder as much as Eric
    > Raymond.

    And:-
    "You have to be in a geeky crowd to take advantage of that."

    For popular distros like PCLinuxOS, SLED 10, (K)Ubuntu 7.x, etc, that is
    utter rubbish.

    'Course the Quack troll might agree with Wozniak, as it can only run
    Live-CDs, & pretending to actually use GNU/Linux.

    --
    Operating systems: FreeBSD 6.2, PC-BSD 1.4,
    Testing: FreeBSD 7.0-BETA1.5

  12. Re: The Woz disses Linux

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Doug Mentohl

    wrote
    on Mon, 29 Oct 2007 18:53:45 +0000
    :
    > Jim Relsh wrote:
    >
    >> It just shows that the Woz's clock stopped in the mid-1980's ..

    > Actually Woz tells me he wouldn't actually give that answer today and
    > despite not being big in any one area Linux has such a broad base that
    > it does have an influential impact.

    If nothing else, Linux has filled some interesting niches
    where one wants reliability, low software costs, and
    flexibility.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    If your CPU can't stand the heat, get another fan.

  13. Re: The Woz disses Linux

    The Ghost In The Machine wrote:

    > If nothing else, Linux has filled some interesting niches where one wants reliability, low software costs, and flexibility.

    Did you even click on these links before typing that nonsence ..

    http://www.jimmyr.com/blog/Linux_MCE...e_144_2007.php

    XGL/COMPIZ ..

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUSn-jBA3CE

    Aiglx+Berl on PARDUS RC 2007 ..

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_Bmkg19G_w

  14. Re: The Woz disses Linux

    Jim Relsh wrote:

    > It just shows that the Woz's clock stopped in the mid-1980's ..

    Actually Woz tells me he wouldn't actually give that answer today and
    despite not being big in any one area Linux has such a broad base that
    it does have an influential impact.

  15. Re: The Woz disses Linux

    Sophie McDowell wrote:
    > "Linonut" wrote in message
    > news:slrnfibtld.cip.linonut@mlsrock.launchmodem.co m...
    >> After takin' a swig o' grog, Hadron belched out this bit o' wisdom:

    >>> You really are a ****ing moron.
    >>>
    >>> I just opened it again.
    >>>
    >>> Have you been taking URL lessons from the Good German?

    >> Odd, my explicit search distinctly failed to find it the first time.
    >> Must have fat-fingered it.
    >>
    >> Doesn't matter, you are still a real ****-for-brains. I was enjoying
    >> your time away from here.
    >>
    >> And the Woz doesn't seem so smart, either.
    >>
    >> L: Do you think Linux has a lot of potential?
    >> SW: I don't think it's going to make a big mark.
    >>
    >> My God, what is he smoking? He's starting to dodder as much as Eric
    >> Raymond.

    > The difference is that the Woz has proven himself and has more credibility
    > and respect in the computing world than all of the COLA idiots here combined
    > will ever have. You boys can cry, whine and try to discredit the Woz all you
    > want. But it his his words and his opinions that matter and affect this
    > industry, not yours.

    All true, but it doesn't seem like he has played with modern
    distributions of Linux. Third world children are not a geeky crowd.
    Neither are government office workers.

  16. Re: The Woz disses Linux

    Rick wrote:

    > Sophie McDowell wrote:

    >> The difference is that the Woz has proven himself and has more
    >> credibility and respect in the computing world than all of the COLA
    >> idiots here combined will ever have. You boys can cry, whine and try to
    >> discredit the Woz all you want. But it his his words and his opinions
    >> that matter and affect this industry, not yours.

    > All true, but it doesn't seem like he has played with modern
    > distributions of Linux. Third world children are not a geeky crowd.
    > Neither are government office workers.

    Sophie McFlatfish merely trolling again.

    --
    Operating systems: FreeBSD 6.2, PC-BSD 1.4,
    Testing: FreeBSD 7.0-BETA1.5
    Linux systems: Debian 4.0, PCLinuxOS 2007,
    Kubuntu 7.10 "Gutsy"

  17. Re: The Woz disses Linux

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Doug Mentohl

    wrote
    on Mon, 29 Oct 2007 18:43:57 +0000
    :
    > The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    >
    >> If nothing else, Linux has filled some interesting niches
    >> where one wants reliability, low software costs, and flexibility.

    > Did you even click on these links before typing that nonsence ..
    >
    > http://www.jimmyr.com/blog/Linux_MCE...e_144_2007.php

    This is definitely one of the more interesting niches.
    Unfortunately, I can't say Linux fills it. Excels in it,
    definitely (might even be overqualified!) -- and certainly
    it appears to work far better than that other solution; the
    problem is that marketing dollars will probably preclude
    widespread deployment of the superior solution, letting
    Microsoft fill the niche with utter crap. But maybe this
    solution will sell itself through some variant of viral
    marketing...and be sold as well (who sells Linux MCE?).
    I sure hope so; Microsoft needs to learn that it's the
    user, stupid.

    Gotta love Microsoft's usurpation of the media. Linux's
    GUI uses the media as a backdrop, overlaying its menus thereon
    (and the menus are semitransparent); Windows MCE pushes it
    into a corner and takes up the entire screen showing off
    its presumably beautiful GUI -- well, to some, anyway;
    I personally think they really need to make it more intuitive.
    Linux has some very nice stuff in the selection category; it
    shows a whole page at a time of about 50 videos. Windows?
    It might get 3 if one's lucky.

    Linux also can scan just about every device in the home
    (and if it's not careful, the neighbors' stuff as well
    -- but it's a nice feature for the hardcore videophile,
    presumably).

    > XGL/COMPIZ ..
    >
    > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUSn-jBA3CE

    Interesting "drop-ripple" effect. The dual-monitor setup
    looks very useful, though I've never been a fan of the
    "4-sided cube" concept, mostly because I need more
    workspaces. :-) The zoom is nice as well.

    Again, I suspect Linux cannot fill this niche because the
    Mighty Microsoft Marketing Machine will push Aero as the
    "wave of the future" ("a future"? Clearly Aero is in some
    magical alternate universe here, where life is beautiful
    all the time and I'll be glad to see those nice young men
    in their clean white coats...), wiping out demonstrations
    such as the above link -- and there's a fair number of
    these videos running about. It's unfortunate, but the
    Amiga is a sad example of marketing triumphing over
    technical excellence, though part of that might be
    Commodore's clumsiness at the former.

    Color me bitter. Dunno what we can do about it except
    continue to spread the word, admittedly -- and certainly
    the MCE product, if enough people see it, might have a
    very good chance at selling.

    > Aiglx+Berl on PARDUS RC 2007 ..
    >
    > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_Bmkg19G_w

    This is another interesting variant; I like the standout
    windows during cube rotation, and the semitransparent cube
    is nice for quickly locating open windows. Unfortunately,
    the demo tends to go a bit overboard with the standoff,
    resulting in windows going behind the viewer's eye.
    Not sure what to make of the red-orange "kablooey bar"
    effect; it's highly visible, certainly.

    Windows? Hah!

    I did find using Youtube search the video

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hfKoUWEdHo

    which runs on a $500 1 GB RAM E-machine with "no dedicated
    graphics adaptor". However, the most exciting thing it
    shows is the window flip-scrolling; there are no other
    effects apart from a very subtle transparent title bar,
    which for some reason Todd Ogasawara takes some pains to
    point out, taking about 30 secs to do so. (Yeah, that's
    important!) Compared to the above Linux demos, this is
    about as exciting as cottage cheese is to a steak dinner.
    (I'm not sure what a "dedicated graphics adapter" is,
    anyway. Presumably it means a graphics adapter with its
    own vRAM, since a lot of cheapie machines have graphics
    chips that steal RAM from the main system RAM pool. The GL
    capabilities might be slightly stunted -- certainly mine
    are on my work machine -- but it can still do some stuff
    if one has sufficient RAM.)

    A more interesting video might be

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xC5uEe5OzNQ

    which compares Aero with Beryl. At 1:30 it flips to
    Ubuntu, which shows off some of the eye candy possible
    with Beryl, after a rather boring (by comparison) Windows
    Aero demo. The video caps it off with the famous Win98
    "Live Screen Of Death".

    How do we sell Linux to the Average Joe? I think
    Linux MCE would have a very good chance, admittedly -- if
    the Average Joe can see it in a commercial somewhere.

    The rest? Darned good question; eye candy only goes
    so far. If we're lucky, businesses will start deploying
    Linux/OpenOffice machines during hardware refreshes,
    and game developers will follow suit.

    If not, well, Vista will monopolize the desktop for another
    few years, as a "well, it's Microsoft crap but we can use
    it anyway; there's nothing better out there that we know
    of" solution.

    At least here in COLA we *know* there's a better solution,
    for those who can work around its quirks -- mostly having
    to do with Windows-centric applications that probably should
    be shot on sight anyway. :-)

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Useless C/C++ Programming Idea #992381111:
    while(bit&BITMASK) ;

  18. Re: The Woz disses Linux

    Gravity is unforgiving.

  19. Re: The Woz disses Linux

    On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 15:16:36 -0400,
    Rick wrote:
    > Sophie McDowell wrote:
    >> "Linonut" wrote in message
    >> news:slrnfibtld.cip.linonut@mlsrock.launchmodem.co m...
    >>> After takin' a swig o' grog, Hadron belched out this bit o' wisdom:

    >>> Odd, my explicit search distinctly failed to find it the first time.
    >>> Must have fat-fingered it.
    >>>
    >>> Doesn't matter, you are still a real ****-for-brains. I was enjoying
    >>> your time away from here.
    >>>
    >>> And the Woz doesn't seem so smart, either.
    >>>
    >>> L: Do you think Linux has a lot of potential?
    >>> SW: I don't think it's going to make a big mark.
    >>>
    >>> My God, what is he smoking? He's starting to dodder as much as Eric
    >>> Raymond.

    >> The difference is that the Woz has proven himself and has more credibility
    >> and respect in the computing world than all of the COLA idiots here combined
    >> will ever have. You boys can cry, whine and try to discredit the Woz all you
    >> want. But it his his words and his opinions that matter and affect this
    >> industry, not yours.

    > All true, but it doesn't seem like he has played with modern
    > distributions of Linux. Third world children are not a geeky crowd.
    > Neither are government office workers.

    It's pretty obvious that he's not had a lot of experience with a recent
    Linux distro like Ubuntu or the like.

    If space is warped, time is all that's weft.

  20. Re: The Woz disses Linux

    "Jim Richardson" wrote in message

    > On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 12:49:15 +0100,
    > Hadron wrote:
    >>
    >> http://laptopmag.com/Features/The-Wa...ings-Apple.htm
    >>
    >> Qo you think Linux has a lot of potential?
    >> A:I don't think it's going to make a big mark
    >>

    > L: Mac's notebook market share has climbed as high as 8.8 percent in the
    > U.S. How much higher do you think it can go?
    > SW: I think Macintosh has a lot higher market share than it's ever
    > credited for. I think normal people who buy and use computers on their
    > own choose Macs. It's close to a 50/50 split in my mind. It's businesses
    > that are buying thousands of Microsoft PCs, and there are tons of
    > countries where Apple isn't sold at all.
    >

    > So according to Wozniak, except for corporate purchases, the Mac has 50%
    > market share in the personal computer market.
    >
    > Riight....

    That's not what he said. He wasn't talking about the "personal computer
    market" - He was talking about the notebook market.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast