The Woz disses Linux - Linux

This is a discussion on The Woz disses Linux - Linux ; The Ghost In The Machine wrote: > > looks very useful, though I've never been a fan of the > "4-sided cube" concept, mostly because I need more > workspaces. :-) The zoom is nice as well. > This has ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 29 of 29

  1. Re: The Woz disses Linux

    The Ghost In The Machine wrote:

    > looks very useful, though I've never been a fan of the
    > "4-sided cube" concept, mostly because I need more
    > workspaces. :-) The zoom is nice as well.

    This has annoyed me in the past as well, where when you added more than
    four desktops it screwed up the "cube". The sides broke apart.
    Happily, the compiz-fusion in Ubuntu 7.10 allows for 5, 6, etc sides,
    giving ( I don't know the proper name for this -- maybe prism? )
    hexagon-based, whatever 3-d thingies. Whatever it's called when you pull
    a pentagon, hexagon, or whatever up into a third dimension. The point
    is that it works properlyl now.

    The only problem is that you have to set your desktops up as one
    row x multiple columns. I usually have a 6-desktop pager set up as two
    rows x three columns, but for this to work properly as a 3-D pager, you
    have to have it set as one row/six columns.

    Oh, and another thing... shouldn't a "cube" be constructed of *six*
    desktops anyway? Why do they waste the top and bottom, making them
    usable only for images?

  2. Re: The Woz disses Linux

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, owl

    wrote
    on Mon, 29 Oct 2007 21:40:49 +0000 (UTC)
    <9usa945.xzerh2@rooftop.invalid>:
    > The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    >>
    >> looks very useful, though I've never been a fan of the
    >> "4-sided cube" concept, mostly because I need more
    >> workspaces. :-) The zoom is nice as well.
    >>

    > This has annoyed me in the past as well, where when you added more than
    > four desktops it screwed up the "cube". The sides broke apart.
    > Happily, the compiz-fusion in Ubuntu 7.10 allows for 5, 6, etc sides,
    > giving ( I don't know the proper name for this -- maybe prism? )

    Prism is not a bad term -- though in most cases people will
    think "triangular extrusion". The term "regular polygonal
    extrusion" is the best term but is probably too technical
    for most.

    It turns out the term "uniform prism" in Wikipedia is
    exactly what I want, with square faces and a regular
    polygon top and bottom. (It is trivial to prove that the
    polygon has to have all sides the same length if the sides
    are square, though the polygon need not be regular.)

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prism_%28geometry%29

    > hexagon-based, whatever 3-d thingies. Whatever it's called when you pull
    > a pentagon, hexagon, or whatever up into a third dimension. The point
    > is that it works properlyl now.
    >
    > The only problem is that you have to set your desktops up as one
    > row x multiple columns. I usually have a 6-desktop pager set up as two
    > rows x three columns, but for this to work properly as a 3-D pager, you
    > have to have it set as one row/six columns.

    I'm mildly surprised that the prism can't be extended
    further. Of course part of the issue is simply that if
    one has fewer than 3 columns the prism becomes degenerate.

    > Oh, and another thing... shouldn't a "cube" be constructed of *six*
    > desktops anyway? Why do they waste the top and bottom, making them
    > usable only for images?

    Probably because of orientation issues. The axis goes
    through the center of the top and bottom cubes, and one
    therefore gets into the interesting situation that the
    top and bottom cubes will likely (75%) be in the wrong
    orientation once the cube snaps to the top or bottom face.
    This can be compensated for (if nothing else, one can
    spin the cube the requisite amount), but even with that
    compensation one still has only 6 workspaces.

    My default setup uses a 1x12 configuration.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Linux. The choice of a GNU generation.
    Windows. The choice of a bunch of people who like very weird behavior on
    a regular basis, random crashes, and "extend, embrace, and extinguish".

  3. Re: The Woz disses Linux

    On Oct 29, 12:17 pm, Hadron wrote:
    > Linonut writes:
    > > After takin' a swig o' grog, Hadron belched out this bit o' wisdom:

    > >> You really are a ****ing moron.

    > >> I just opened it again.

    > >> Have you been taking URL lessons from the Good German?

    > > Odd, my explicit search distinctly failed to find it the first time.
    > > Must have fat-fingered it.

    > Or maybe you are "too stupid to use Linux"? Maybe The Woz was right : it
    > is only for intelligent experts.
    >
    > How stupid do you feel now. Still, you bring it on yourself.
    >

    > > Doesn't matter, you are still a real ****-for-brains. I was enjoying
    > > your time away from here.

    > > And the Woz doesn't seem so smart, either.

    > > L: Do you think Linux has a lot of potential?
    > > SW: I don't think it's going to make a big mark.

    > > My God, what is he smoking? He's starting to dodder as much as Eric
    > > Raymond.

    > Er, telling it as he sees it I guess. Now who to believe? Linonutsack
    > who can't even use "find" or "search" properly or Steve Wozniak who
    > designed the Apple and Apple II? Hmmm ......

    I still think Wozniak is a fat dumbass.

  4. Re: The Woz disses Linux

    On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 23:24:58 +0000, cc wrote:

    > On Oct 29, 12:17 pm, Hadron wrote:
    >> Linonut writes:
    >> > After takin' a swig o' grog, Hadron belched out this bit o' wisdom:

    Thi...

    >> > Odd, my explicit search distinctly failed to find it the first time.
    >> > Must have fat-fingered it.

    >> Or maybe you are "too stupid to use Linux"? Maybe The Woz was right :
    >> it is only for intelligent experts.
    >>
    >> How stupid do you feel now. Still, you bring it on yourself.
    >>

    >> > Doesn't matter, you are still a real ****-for-brains. I was enjoying
    >> > your time away from here.

    >> > And the Woz doesn't seem so smart, either.

    >> > L: Do you think Linux has a lot of potential? SW: I don't think
    >> > it's going to make a big mark.

    >> > My God, what is he smoking? He's starting to dodder as much as Eric
    >> > Raymond.

    >> Er, telling it as he sees it I guess. Now who to believe? Linonutsack
    >> who can't even use "find" or "search" properly or Steve Wozniak who
    >> designed the Apple and Apple II? Hmmm ......
    >>

    > I still think Wozniak is a fat dumbass.

    Fine... you go write your own basic. Or design your own computer, or
    cards and boards that are described by engineers as works of art.

    --
    Rick

  5. Re: The Woz disses Linux

    On Oct 29, 9:23 pm, Rick wrote:
    > On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 23:24:58 +0000, cc wrote:

    > Thi...

    > >> Or maybe you are "too stupid to use Linux"? Maybe The Woz was right :
    > >> it is only for intelligent experts.

    > >> How stupid do you feel now. Still, you bring it on yourself.

    > >> Er, telling it as he sees it I guess. Now who to believe? Linonutsack
    > >> who can't even use "find" or "search" properly or Steve Wozniak who
    > >> designed the Apple and Apple II? Hmmm ......

    > > I still think Wozniak is a fat dumbass.

    > Fine... you go write your own basic. Or design your own computer, or
    > cards and boards that are described by engineers as works of art.

    Done, done, and done. I also sweat less and pee standing up. I win.

  6. Re: The Woz disses Linux

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Hadron belched out this bit o' wisdom:

    > Linonut writes:
    >
    >> Odd, my explicit search distinctly failed to find it the first time.
    >> Must have fat-fingered it.

    > Or maybe you are "too stupid to use Linux"? Maybe The Woz was right : it
    > is only for intelligent experts.
    >
    > How stupid do you feel now. Still, you bring it on yourself.

    As do you.

    Actually, I don't feel stupid, just bad about calling you
    ****-for-brains for the wrong reason.

    >> L: Do you think Linux has a lot of potential?
    >> SW: I don't think it's going to make a big mark.
    >>
    >> My God, what is he smoking? He's starting to dodder as much as Eric
    >> Raymond.

    > Er, telling it as he sees it I guess. Now who to believe? Linonutsack
    > who can't even use "find" or "search" properly or Steve Wozniak who
    > designed the Apple and Apple II? Hmmm ......

    I'd rather have fat fingers than a fat head.

    In any case, if Steve really believes what he said, and the journalist
    quoted him in context, I have to say I think he's entering senescence.

  7. Re: The Woz disses Linux

    After takin' a swig o' grog, cc belched out this bit o' wisdom:

    > On Oct 29, 9:23 pm, Rick wrote:

    >> > I still think Wozniak is a fat dumbass.

    >> Fine... you go write your own basic. Or design your own computer, or
    >> cards and boards that are described by engineers as works of art.

    > Done, done, and done. I also sweat less and pee standing up. I win.

    History is full of examples of intelligent people who invented great
    things, and then succumbed to senescence, stupidity, religion, or
    astrology.

    It is no stretch at all to believe the Woz is out-of-touch in some ways.

    Even Torvalds will have his day. As will I. And you all.

    --
    Tux rox!

  8. Re: The Woz disses Linux

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Jim Relsh belched out this bit o' wisdom:

    > "Hadron" schreef in bericht
    >>
    >> http://laptopmag.com/Features/The-Wa...ings-Apple.htm
    >>
    >> Qo you think Linux has a lot of potential?
    >> A:I don't think it's going to make a big mark

    > It just shows that the Woz's clock stopped in the mid-1980's.

    Bill's stoped in the mid-1990's, soon after he discovered the internet
    and the dearth of Microsoft formats.

    --
    Tux rox!

  9. Re: The Woz disses Linux

    On Oct 30, 7:48 am, Linonut wrote:
    > After takin' a swig o' grog, cc belched out this bit o' wisdom:

    > >> Fine... you go write your own basic. Or design your own computer, or
    > >> cards and boards that are described by engineers as works of art.

    > > Done, done, and done. I also sweat less and pee standing up. I win.

    > History is full of examples of intelligent people who invented great
    > things, and then succumbed to senescence, stupidity, religion, or
    > astrology.

    True. I don't mean that he was always a fat dumbass. I just meant
    right about now. I saw an interview with him on the Colbert Report
    recently, and it was almost unwatchable. He wasn't funny, and he
    wasn't serious. It was like a 5 year old child stepped on to the set.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2