[News] New Ubuntu Newletter and Magazine Released - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] New Ubuntu Newletter and Magazine Released - Linux ; Ubuntu Weekly Newsletter Issue 63 ,----[ Quote ] | Hardy Heron is open for uploads | | The doors are now open for uploads to Hardy Heron, the next in the Ubuntu | line of releases, due for release in ...

  1. [News] New Ubuntu Newletter and Magazine Released

    Ubuntu Weekly Newsletter Issue 63

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Hardy Heron is open for uploads
    |
    | The doors are now open for uploads to Hardy Heron, the next in the Ubuntu
    | line of releases, due for release in the first half of 2008.
    `----

    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuWeeklyNewsletter/Issue63

    Full Circle Magazine Issue 6

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Contains :
    |
    | * Step-by-Step Ubuntu Feisty > Gutsy upgrade
    | * How-To : Run Photoshop Plugins in GIMP, Set up Samba and Scribus pt.6.
    | * Top 5 - Racing Games.
    | * Interview with John Philips (Open Font Library).
    | * Letters, Q&A, MyDesktop and more!
    `----

    http://www.fullcirclemagazine.org/issue-6/

    Related:

    Why I've moved from Vista to Ubuntu 7.10

    ..----[ Quote ]
    | I've been using Windows since it was battling for desktop supremacy
    | with GEM in the early 90s. In the mid 90s I spent several years
    | producing newspapers on Apple Macs. Since the late 90s I've dabbled
    | with Linux, but there have always been compelling reasons to return
    | to, or stick with, Windows. No more, for two reasons: Vista, and
    | Ubuntu 7.10 (ala Gutsy Gibbon).
    `----

    http://community.zdnet.co.uk/blog/0,...331758b,00.htm

    Ubuntu 7.10 is outstanding

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Canonical this month released Ubuntu 7.10, codenamed Gutsy Gibbon. Like the
    | Feisty Fawn release before it, Gutsy is a bleeding-edge distribution with a
    | focus on new features and the newest free software applications. It's a
    | speedy operating system with great new features and only a few minor issues.
    `----

    http://www.linux.com/feature/120112

    Ubuntu's Hype is Misleading (Real Test)

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | So the overall review of Ubuntu was the worst from new user point of view and
    | PCLOS wins here. My users say that in their opinion, Ubuntu is overhyped and
    | that it's not for the normal user. It is for those users who know Linux very
    | well and have high end systems with at least 1 gig ram.
    `----

    http://pclosmag.com/html/Issues/200709/page02.html

  2. Re: [News] New Ubuntu Newletter and Magazine Released

    > Ubuntu's Hype is Misleading (Real Test)
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | So the overall review of Ubuntu was the worst from new user point of view and
    > | PCLOS wins here. My users say that in their opinion, Ubuntu is overhyped and
    > | that it's not for the normal user. It is for those users who know Linux very
    > | well and have high end systems with at least 1 gig ram.
    > `----
    >
    > http://pclosmag.com/html/Issues/200709/page02.html

    Hmmmm. PC LOS magazine ranks PCLOS highest!

    Maybe DELL ought to look into it!

    --
    Tux rox!

  3. Re: [News] New Ubuntu Newletter and Magazine Released

    ____/ Linonut on Monday 29 October 2007 17:20 : \____

    > After takin' a swig o' grog, Roy Schestowitz belched out this bit o' wisdom:
    >
    >> Ubuntu's Hype is Misleading (Real Test)
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >> | So the overall review of Ubuntu was the worst from new user point of view
    >> | and PCLOS wins here. My users say that in their opinion, Ubuntu is
    >> | overhyped and that it's not for the normal user. It is for those users who
    >> | know Linux very well and have high end systems with at least 1 gig ram.
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://pclosmag.com/html/Issues/200709/page02.html

    > Hmmmm. PC LOS magazine ranks PCLOS highest!
    >
    > Maybe DELL ought to look into it!

    It looks like a fine distribution. Unlike Ubuntu, it's rare to find a negative
    PCLOS 2007 review. Something about the search engine results leads me to
    believing that PCLOS is ranked well in DW for the wrong reasons.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    For governments that eavesdrop, here is a quick list of tags: Communism,
    Hawaiian shirts, China, Suitcase, Martha Stewart, Encryption, Prison, Stalin.
    Thanks for tuning in.
    run-level 2 2007-10-16 15:14 last=