[News] [Rival] Is Mossberg Saying That Windows Vista is Slow and Difficult? - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] [Rival] Is Mossberg Saying That Windows Vista is Slow and Difficult? - Linux ; Leopard: Faster, Easier Than Vista ,----[ Quote ] | In fact, every piece of software and hardware I tried on two Leopard-equipped | Macs -- a loaned laptop from Apple and my own upgraded iMac -- worked fine, | exhibiting ...

  1. [News] [Rival] Is Mossberg Saying That Windows Vista is Slow and Difficult?

    Leopard: Faster, Easier Than Vista

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | In fact, every piece of software and hardware I tried on two Leopard-equipped
    | Macs -- a loaned laptop from Apple and my own upgraded iMac -- worked fine,
    | exhibiting none of the compatibility problems that continue to plague Vista.
    | My old Hewlett-Packard inkjet printer, for which Vista lacks the proper
    | software, worked instantly in Leopard, even over the network. And, unlike
    | with Vista, it was able to print on both sides of the page. I popped my old
    | Verizon cellphone modem card into the test Leopard laptop and it worked, too,
    | with no software installation or tweaking.
    |
    | Leopard felt about as fast as Tiger, and it started up much faster than Vista
    | in my tests.
    `----

    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1193...oo_hs&ru=yahoo

    Related:

    Analyst slams Vista's 'backward' UI

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Windows Vista is a step back in usability, researcher claims
    `----

    http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index...S&newsID=17334

    Vista Irritations

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | According to this Slashdot article, copying, moving and deleting
    | files is slower under Vista. At least now I know why extracting a
    | compressed file under Vista is like watching paint dry/grass grow
    | (I've only tried using Winzip 11).
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | Now we name our directory and it?s done right? Not quite, because
    | after typing your directory name and pressing enter, it's time
    | for yet more prompts...
    `----

    http://harrisben.wordpress.com/2007/...a-irritations/

    Vista: Slow and Dangerous

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Most of the time I spent testing Vista was with sluggish pre-release
    | versions. I expected things to improve when I ran the finished software
    | on PCs configured for the new Windows version. I now realize that
    | Vista really is slow unless you throw a lot of hardware at it.
    | Microsoft claims it will run with 512 megabytes of memory. I had
    | recommended a minimum of a gigabyte, but 2 GB is more like it if
    | you want snappy performance.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | The most exasperating thing about Vista, though, is the security
    | feature called User Account Control. UAC, satirized in an Apple
    | ad as a security guy who constantly interrupts a conversation,
    | appears as a pop-up asking permission before Windows...
    `----

    http://www.keepmedia.com/pubs/Busine.../03/26/3124001

  2. Re: [Rival] Is Mossberg Saying That Windows Vista is Slow and Difficult?

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > | I now realize that
    > | Vista really is slow unless you throw a lot of hardware at it.
    > | Microsoft claims it will run with 512 megabytes of memory. I had
    > | recommended a minimum of a gigabyte, but 2 GB is more like it if
    > | you want snappy performance.

    OK, "snappy performance" = 2 GB RAM. Then buy and install it. What
    is your problem?

    RL

  3. Re: [Rival] Is Mossberg Saying That Windows Vista is Slow and Difficult?

    raylopez99 wrote:

    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    >> | I now realize that
    >> | Vista really is slow unless you throw a lot of hardware at it.
    >> | Microsoft claims it will run with 512 megabytes of memory. I had
    >> | recommended a minimum of a gigabyte, but 2 GB is more like it if
    >> | you want snappy performance.

    > OK, "snappy performance" = 2 GB RAM.

    For sufficiently small values of "snappy"

    > Then buy and install it. What is your problem?

    Throw hardware at crappy written software?
    --
    Avoid reality at all costs.

  4. Re: Is Mossberg Saying That Windows Vista is Slow and Difficult?

    On Oct 29, 3:38 am, Peter Köhlmann
    wrote:
    > raylopez99 wrote:

    > > OK, "snappy performance" = 2 GB RAM.

    > For sufficiently small values of "snappy"

    Then add more and better hardware. You don't still code using C do
    you? Visual Studio 2005 is the way to go, followed by VS2008, with
    more and better hardware to boot.

    > > Then buy and install it. What is your problem?

    > Throw hardware at crappy written software?

    All code is crappy. Something like 1 bug per every 1000 lines of
    code, no matter what language. The key is to write fault tolerant
    code, with exception handling, and to let trained, paid professionals
    do it. Hey, that sounds like MSFT's model. Trained. Paid.
    Professional. Not amateurs who spend most of their time in flame wars
    like you and me. Reminds me, I've got some crappy code to write,
    right now. Bye.

    RL

  5. Re: Is Mossberg Saying That Windows Vista is Slow and Difficult?

    raylopez99 wrote:
    > On Oct 29, 3:38 am, Peter K?hlmann
    > wrote:
    >> raylopez99 wrote:

    >> > OK, "snappy performance" = 2 GB RAM.

    >> For sufficiently small values of "snappy"

    > Then add more and better hardware. You don't still code using C do
    > you? Visual Studio 2005 is the way to go, followed by VS2008, with
    > more and better hardware to boot.
    >

    >> > Then buy and install it. What is your problem?

    >> Throw hardware at crappy written software?

    > All code is crappy. Something like 1 bug per every 1000 lines of
    > code, no matter what language. The key is to write fault tolerant
    > code, with exception handling, and to let trained, paid professionals
    > do it. Hey, that sounds like MSFT's model. Trained. Paid.
    > Professional.

    http://www.scifiscripts.com/scripts/matrix_96_draft.txt

    RHINEHEART
    You have a problem, Mr. Anderson.
    You think that you're special.
    You believe that somehow the rules
    do not apply to you.

    He stops, glancing over his glasses at Neo, who turns in
    time.

    RHINEHEART
    Obviously, you are mistaken.

    His long, bony fingers resume clicking the keyboard.

    RHINEHEART
    This company is one of the top
    software companies in the world
    because every single employee