The Past 12 Linux Kernels Benchmarked

,----[ Quote ]
| We have taken the last 12 major kernel releases, from Linux 2.6.12 to Linux
| 2.6.23, built them from source and set out on a benchmarking escapade. This
| testing also includes the Linux 2.6.24-rc1 kernel. From these benchmarks you
| can see how the Linux kernel performance has matured over the past two and a
| half years.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item=893&num=1

Improvements in terms of networking are shown. Last week, Microsoft reluctantly
admitted that its kernel has become too bloated.

Related:

Who's writing Linux?

,----[ Quote ]
| Top ten most active 2.6.23 developers by changesets
|
| * Ingo Molnar (152, 2.5%)
| * Ralf Baechle (119, 1.9%)
| * Trond Myklebust (116, 1.9%)
| * Paul Mundt (111, 1.8%)
| * David S. Miller (107, 1.7%)
| * Tejun Heo (103, 1.7%)
| * Al Viro (95, 1.5%)
| * Patrick McHardy (93, 1.5%)
| * Adrian Bunk (92, 1.5%)
| * FUJITA Tomonori (91, 1.5%)
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.p...59;fp;4;fpid;1

Is There Perfection in The Linux Kernel?

,----[ Quote ]
| In a perfect world, you could compile a brand-new Linux kernel
| without the need for much configuration and without error.
|
| According to Linus Torvalds, the new 2.6.19 Linux kernel is such
| an entity.
|
| "It's one of those rare "perfect" kernels," Torvalds wrote in a
| Linux kernel mailing list posting announcing the new kernel.
`----

http://www.internetnews.com/article.php/3646456

Kernel Comparison for Linux (2.6.18) verses Windows (2003 R2)

,----[ Quote ]
| This aims to be the most comprehensive kernel comparison of the
| latest most popular Unix style kernel verses the latest most
| popular current kernel.
`----

http://widefox.pbwiki.com/Kernel%20C...20vs%20Windows

Those Dang DPCs Clogging the MMCSS [or "Why Vista Scheduling is Broken"]

,----[ Quote ]
| Critical optimizations such as zero-copy aside, there is no excusable reason
| why processing IP packets should so damagingly affect the system.
|
| [...]
|
| Putting aside the larger problem for the moment, there are several issues
| with this solution. It prioritizes multimedia playback over networking
| performance, which, as the resulting clamor has shown, is not everyone's
| personal policy preference. It is almost assuredly a layering violation. It
| picks a fixed and hard-coded packet limit (ten per millisecond), which won't
| scale across different hardware—think significantly faster processors or
| substantially slower networking drivers. It ignores the commonality of GigE.
| And, finally, the solution is complicated, as the convoluted description and
| resulting bugs in the implementation demonstrate.
`----

http://blogbeebe.blogspot.com/2007/0...ry-simple.html

Linux contributor base broadens

,----[ Quote ]