Have I missed much? - Linux

This is a discussion on Have I missed much? - Linux ; Been lurking for a while. Have I missed anything ? Building where I live used to have cablevision which meant that I paid $52.00/month for DSL. Building management dropped cablevision so my monthly bill went up to over $100.00/month. The ...

  1. Have I missed much?

    Been lurking for a while.
    Have I missed anything ?

    Building where I live used to have cablevision which meant that I paid
    $52.00/month for DSL. Building management dropped cablevision so my
    monthly bill went up to over $100.00/month. The bitch is I don't watch
    TV and the cable provider 'links' DSL with cable. Rogers has something
    with internet over the Hydro power lines, might check that out.
    Who said monopolies weren't beneficial for the owner of the company.
    For the time that I used to spend on the net $100.00 can be better
    utilized elsewhere. Internet cafes are cheap and plentiful. I'm
    looking at getting a laptop, of course it'll be running Ubuntu. Then I
    can get a $20.00/ month 'HotSpot' account or even just hang out at the
    local blenz.

    I just installed Ubuntu 7.10. on my machine at home. What a breeze
    that was. Ever since I learned the trick of partitioning my hard drive
    so that / and /home are in two separte partitions upgrades or even
    switching distros is simple as 1-2-3.

    Two funny things happened recently.
    A local animation company was giving a presentation out at BCIT at one
    of the VanLUG meetings. Their workstations are something along the
    line of 8% windows, 20% Mac and the balance are Linux. The servers and
    rendering farm are all Linux. They still need windows due to some
    legacy applications for animation not yet having a Linux counterpart.
    They use Mac for some of the graphical design and they use the Linux
    workstations and servers for the rendering.
    Anyways, I digress.
    The gent giving the presentation brought his iMac laptop. No matter
    what he did, it wouldn't work with the Sony overhead projector. So,
    one of the audience members set up his Ubuntu equiped Acer laptop. It
    found the LCD projecter immediately and set it up and the second
    desktop. A quick USB transfer and the presenter was able to run his
    videos.

    Kewl.....

    Next, for any of the locals here in Vancouver.
    Did you know that the Skytrain Ticket vendor machines use Windows XP.
    Guess how I know.
    :-)
    That's right.
    I was going skating out at Burnaby 8 rinks and as I was leaving the
    skytrain and heading for the bus, there was a ticket vending machine
    displaying a Windows BSOD in all of it's glory.

  2. Re: Have I missed much?

    ____/ bobbie on Sunday 28 October 2007 20:50 : \____

    > Been lurking for a while.
    > Have I missed anything ?

    Gary Stewart has officially become a girl.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | "Quote when replying in non-real-time dialogues"

  3. Re: Have I missed much?

    On Oct 28, 7:53 pm, Roy Schestowitz
    wrote:
    > ____/ bobbie on Sunday 28 October 2007 20:50 : \____
    >
    > > Been lurking for a while.
    > > Have I missed anything ?

    > Gary Stewart has officially become a girl.

    And what's so new about that?

    > --
    > ~~ Best of wishes
    >
    > Roy S. Schestowitz | "Quote when replying in non-real-time dialogues"http://Schestowitz.com | GNU is Not UNIX | PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E
    > http://iuron.com- proposing a non-profit search engine

  4. Re: Have I missed much?

    bobbie :
    > On Oct 28, 7:53 pm, Roy Schestowitz
    > wrote:
    >> ____/ bobbie on Sunday 28 October 2007 20:50 : \____
    >>
    >> > Been lurking for a while.
    >> > Have I missed anything ?

    >> Gary Stewart has officially become a girl.
    >>

    > And what's so new about that?

    She's admitting it.

    I've seen BSODs on the skytrain lines too. Funny as hell .

    --
    Yow! Those people look exactly like Donnie and Marie Osmond!!

    http://www.websterscafe.com

  5. Re: Have I missed much?

    On Sun, 28 Oct 2007 20:50:49 +0000, bobbie wrote:

    > Been lurking for a while.
    > Have I missed anything ?
    >
    > Building where I live used to have cablevision which meant that I paid
    > $52.00/month for DSL. Building management dropped cablevision so my
    > monthly bill went up to over $100.00/month.

    Do you have a balcony with South-East view? You could always get
    satellite from Starchoice or Bell. Also, there is FTA on Galaxy 10R (due
    south from Vancouver) which will get you about 20 english channels. Not
    great programming, but considering the $200 capital costs and no monthly
    fees. I was able to watch the World Series on a FOX station and the NFL
    Superbowl is apparently on FOX this year meaning I'll be able to watch
    that if I choose on the FTA (I'll probably head over to my boss' place
    for his superbowl party).

    > The bitch is I don't watch
    > TV and the cable provider 'links' DSL with cable. Rogers has something
    > with internet over the Hydro power lines, might check that out.

    Rogers has a wireless offering that uses their cellular network. They
    want a 1 year commitment. The plan looks good, but they mess with SIP
    according to my sources.

    > Who said
    > monopolies weren't beneficial for the owner of the company. For the time
    > that I used to spend on the net $100.00 can be better utilized
    > elsewhere. Internet cafes are cheap and plentiful. I'm looking at
    > getting a laptop, of course it'll be running Ubuntu. Then I can get a
    > $20.00/ month 'HotSpot' account or even just hang out at the local
    > blenz.

    Perhaps you could share internet with a neighbour using wireless?

    > I just installed Ubuntu 7.10. on my machine at home. What a breeze that
    > was. Ever since I learned the trick of partitioning my hard drive so
    > that / and /home are in two separte partitions upgrades or even
    > switching distros is simple as 1-2-3.

    I installed Ubuntu 7.10 on a JFS formatted system. Very quick! Also
    includes OOo 2.3. Very nice! :-)

    I'm going to have to update my work laptop (still running 6.10).

    > Two funny things happened recently.
    > A local animation company was giving a presentation out at BCIT at one
    > of the VanLUG meetings. Their workstations are something along the line
    > of 8% windows, 20% Mac and the balance are Linux. The servers and
    > rendering farm are all Linux. They still need windows due to some legacy
    > applications for animation not yet having a Linux counterpart. They use
    > Mac for some of the graphical design and theDo you have a balcony with

    South-East view? You could always get satellite from Starchoice or Bell.
    Also, there is FTA on 123 (due south) which will get you about 20 english
    channels. Not great programming, but considering the $200 capital costs
    and no monthly fees....y use the Linux workstations
    > and servers for the rendering. Anyways, I digress.
    > The gent giving the presentation brought his iMac laptop. No matter what
    > he did, it wouldn't work with the Sony overhead projector. So, one of
    > the audience members set up his Ubuntu equiped Acer laptop. It found the
    > LCD projecter immediately and set it up and the second desktop. A quick
    > USB transfer and the presenter was able to run his videos.
    >
    > Kewl.....
    >
    > Next, for any of the locals here in Vancouver. Did you know that the
    > Skytrain Ticket vendor machines use Windows XP. Guess how I know.
    > :-)
    > That's right.
    > I was going skating out at Burnaby 8 rinks and as I was leaving the
    > skytrain and heading for the bus, there was a ticket vending machine
    > displaying a Windows BSOD in all of it's glory.

    I just hope they don't run the Skytrain on Windows....

    I had the unique pleasure of being on the train during a potential "track
    intrusion" incidence. An attendant opened up the manual console on one of
    the Mark III cars and I got to see what that looked like. I should've
    taken a photo with my cell phone. Anyhow, it turns out the track
    intrusion was a pop bottle that broke a laser detection beam embedded in
    the track at Lougheed station.

    For those that aren't from Vancouver, the Skytrain system is a completely
    automated system. There are no drivers, just attendants at the stations
    who's duties also include random ticket checks and security enforcement.
    There are a system of pressure plates and breakbeam systems used to
    detect is someone is in the guideway - deliberately or otherwise.

    We need to get some cola-ites out for beer. :-)

  6. Re: Have I missed much?

    "Doug Mentohl" wrote in message

    > alt wrote:
    >
    > For anyone unfortunate enough to be reading this, the above msg and the
    > reply are from the one same deranged individual who has been stalking
    > Usenet for the best part of a decade. When not trolling usenet s/he/it
    > runs an inflatable girlfriend repair business from outta s/he/its garage

    IDIOT.

    By the way, what is the world like in the future where you're posting from?

    Either that or your amateur home-made distro screwed up your system time
    because it's too damn stupid to properly figure out daylight savints time.

  7. Re: Have I missed much?

    posting-host=24.82.162.153; posting-account=ps2QrAMAAAA6_jCuRt2JEIpn5Otqf_w0
    alt wrote:

    For anyone unfortunate enough to be reading this, the above msg and the
    reply are from the one same deranged individual who has been stalking
    Usenet for the best part of a decade. When not trolling usenet s/he/it
    runs an inflatable girlfriend repair business from outta s/he/its garage ...

  8. Re: Have I missed much?

    If you think education is expensive, try ignorance.

  9. Re: Have I missed much?

    On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 15:49:16 +0000, Doug Mentohl wrote:

    > posting-host=24.82.162.153; posting-account=ps2QrAMAAAA6_jCuRt2JEIpn5Otqf_w0
    > alt wrote:
    >
    > For anyone unfortunate enough to be reading this, the above msg and the
    > reply are from the one same deranged individual who has been stalking
    > Usenet for the best part of a decade. When not trolling usenet s/he/it
    > runs an inflatable girlfriend repair business from outta s/he/its garage ...

    What are you talking about? Bobbie lives in the West End. I live in
    Coquitlam (though I'm planning on moving to New Westminster in the
    spring). Greater Vancouver consists of over 11 municipalities of which
    house over 2 million people. There are 2 major ISPs: Telus (ADSL) and Shaw
    (Cable) covering the entire province (not just the Lower Mainland).

  10. Re: Have I missed much?

    alt :

    > I just hope they don't run the Skytrain on Windows....

    They dont. The machines that run the skytrain were built in 1994 and
    haven't been replaced (this is second hand info). Most of the
    programming is cutom, but I don't know what the OS is.

    Kinda scary, but considering the age of the system, it seems pretty
    stable.

    > We need to get some cola-ites out for beer. :-)

    Scary thought. I'm in!

    --
    Gravity is an unforgiving mother****er.

    http://www.websterscafe.com

  11. Re: Have I missed much?

    alt :

    > What are you talking about? Bobbie lives in the West End. I live in
    > Coquitlam (though I'm planning on moving to New Westminster in the
    > spring). Greater Vancouver consists of over 11 municipalities of which
    > house over 2 million people. There are 2 major ISPs: Telus (ADSL) and Shaw
    > (Cable) covering the entire province (not just the Lower Mainland).

    DUDE! You're right in my neck of the woods. I'm right near Austin/Mundy.

    --
    **** SLOGANS

    http://www.websterscafe.com

  12. Re: Have I missed much?

    On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 23:34:55 +0000, Handover Phist wrote:

    > alt :
    >>
    >> I just hope they don't run the Skytrain on Windows....

    > They dont. The machines that run the skytrain were built in 1994 and
    > haven't been replaced (this is second hand info). Most of the
    > programming is cutom, but I don't know what the OS is.
    >
    > Kinda scary, but considering the age of the system, it seems pretty
    > stable.

    I'll take stable over "featurefull" in this application anyhow.

    >> We need to get some cola-ites out for beer. :-)

    > Scary thought. I'm in!

  13. Re: Have I missed much?

    On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 23:34:55 +0000, Handover Phist wrote:

    > alt :
    >>
    >> What are you talking about? Bobbie lives in the West End. I live in
    >> Coquitlam (though I'm planning on moving to New Westminster in the
    >> spring). Greater Vancouver consists of over 11 municipalities of which
    >> house over 2 million people. There are 2 major ISPs: Telus (ADSL) and
    >> Shaw (Cable) covering the entire province (not just the Lower
    >> Mainland).

    > DUDE! You're right in my neck of the woods. I'm right near Austin/Mundy.

    I'm north of Poirier and Como Lake. Drop me an email and we'll head over
    to a local brew dispensery.

  14. Re: Have I missed much?

    alt :
    > On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 23:34:55 +0000, Handover Phist wrote:
    >
    >> alt :
    >>>
    >>> What are you talking about? Bobbie lives in the West End. I live in
    >>> Coquitlam (though I'm planning on moving to New Westminster in the
    >>> spring). Greater Vancouver consists of over 11 municipalities of which
    >>> house over 2 million people. There are 2 major ISPs: Telus (ADSL) and
    >>> Shaw (Cable) covering the entire province (not just the Lower
    >>> Mainland).

    >> DUDE! You're right in my neck of the woods. I'm right near Austin/Mundy.

    > I'm north of Poirier and Como Lake. Drop me an email and we'll head over
    > to a local brew dispensery.

    I'm thinking that spamtrap at lazyeyez . net leads to your local /dev/null,
    so jason at websterscafe.com is me. If you heard a ruckus satuday night,
    I was playin bass .
    --
    Statisticians probably do it.

    http://www.websterscafe.com

  15. Re: Have I missed much?

    On Oct 29, 9:44 pm, Handover Phist
    wrote:
    > alt :
    >
    > > On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 23:34:55 +0000, Handover Phist wrote:

    > >> alt :

    > >> DUDE! You're right in my neck of the woods. I'm right near Austin/Mundy.

    > > I'm north of Poirier and Como Lake. Drop me an email and we'll head over
    > > to a local brew dispensery.

    > I'm thinking that spamtrap at lazyeyez . net leads to your local /dev/null,
    > so jason at websterscafe.com is me. If you heard a ruckus satuday night,
    > I was playin bass .
    > --
    > Statisticians probably do it.
    >
    > http://www.websterscafe.com

    Sorry 'bout the delay, but I'd be up for joining the two of you for a
    Guiness one night.

  16. Re: Have I missed much?

    On Oct 29, 3:29 pm, alt wrote:
    > On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 15:49:16 +0000, Doug Mentohl wrote:

    > > posting-host=24.82.162.153; posting-account=ps2QrAMAAAA6_jCuRt2JEIpn5Otqf_w0
    > > alt wrote:

    > > For anyone unfortunate enough to be reading this, the above msg and the
    > > reply are from the one same deranged individual who has been stalking
    > > Usenet for the best part of a decade. When not trolling usenet s/he/it
    > > runs an inflatable girlfriend repair business from outta s/he/its garage ...

    > What are you talking about? Bobbie lives in the West End. I live in
    > Coquitlam (though I'm planning on moving to New Westminster in the
    > spring). Greater Vancouver consists of over 11 municipalities of which
    > house over 2 million people. There are 2 major ISPs: Telus (ADSL) and Shaw
    > (Cable) covering the entire province (not just the Lower Mainland).- Hide quoted text -

    I can't remember who it was that accused me prior of being three or
    four different posters just because we all happened to be on Shaw.ca.
    Actually I think it involved yourself and Handover. I guess a lot of
    the problem stems from the fact the all postings to the newgroups seem
    to come from the same NTTP address at Shaw.
    Oh well.
    I'm not even that skilled with computers and I figured that one out
    myself.

    Hopefully I should be picking up my new 'used' laptop tomorrow. I'll
    be going to P.C. Galore over on 4th and MacDonald. He's got a couple
    of highend Compaq's and a couple of Toshiba's going for between $600 -
    $700.
    One of them has 2 Gig of RAM, AMD processor, NVidia chipset and
    wireless networking.
    Gotta love all of the UBC students buying top end machines at the
    begining of the school year only to find out that Kraft dinner and
    tomato soup made from ketchup get really tiring by the middle of
    October.
    I'll be wiping the Vista Premium and going with either Mint Linux or
    Ubuntu 7.04.

    I'll keep you posted.

  17. Re: Have I missed much?

    On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 04:44:55 +0000, Handover Phist wrote:

    > I'm thinking that spamtrap at lazyeyez . net leads to your local /dev/null,
    > so jason at websterscafe.com is me. If you heard a ruckus satuday night,
    > I was playin bass .

    Originally, that was the intent. But it actually comes here. alt at
    lazyeyez . net is also valid.

    I'll have to put you in the to-do list. BTW, I thought you lived in Pt.
    Moody when you had your internet cafe (I never got the chance to swing by
    there). Did you move?

  18. Re: Have I missed much?

    On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 22:58:59 -0700, bobbie wrote:

    > On Oct 29, 9:44 pm, Handover Phist
    > wrote:
    >> alt :

    >> > I'm north of Poirier and Como Lake. Drop me an email and we'll head over
    >> > to a local brew dispensery.

    >> I'm thinking that spamtrap at lazyeyez . net leads to your local /dev/null,
    >> so jason at websterscafe.com is me. If you heard a ruckus satuday night,
    >> I was playin bass .
    >> --
    >> Statisticians probably do it.
    >>
    >> http://www.websterscafe.com

    > Sorry 'bout the delay, but I'd be up for joining the two of you for a
    > Guiness one night.

    actually, because Handover and I both live out in Coquitlam, would you be
    into meeting us at Lougheed?

  19. Re: Have I missed much?

    On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 23:34:55 +0000, Handover Phist wrote:

    > alt :
    >>
    >> What are you talking about? Bobbie lives in the West End. I live in
    >> Coquitlam (though I'm planning on moving to New Westminster in the
    >> spring). Greater Vancouver consists of over 11 municipalities of which
    >> house over 2 million people. There are 2 major ISPs: Telus (ADSL) and Shaw
    >> (Cable) covering the entire province (not just the Lower Mainland).

    > DUDE! You're right in my neck of the woods. I'm right near Austin/Mundy.

    I just looked on the map. You're pretty much down the hill from me :-P

  20. Re: Have I missed much?

    On Oct 31, 12:53 am, alt wrote:
    > On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 22:58:59 -0700, bobbie wrote:
    > > On Oct 29, 9:44 pm, Handover Phist
    > > wrote:
    > >> alt :

    > >> I'm thinking that spamtrap at lazyeyez . net leads to your local /dev/null,
    > >> so jason at websterscafe.com is me. If you heard a ruckus satuday night,
    > >> I was playin bass .
    > >> --
    > >> Statisticians probably do it.

    > >>http://www.websterscafe.com

    > > Sorry 'bout the delay, but I'd be up for joining the two of you for a
    > > Guiness one night.

    > actually, because Handover and I both live out in Coquitlam, would you be
    > into meeting us at Lougheed?

    I don't think that would be a problem.
    I sold the motorcycle so I'll be Skytraining it out there.
    Just let me know when and where.

+ Reply to Thread