Poll results - Linux

This is a discussion on Poll results - Linux ; http://www.websterscafe.com/e107_ima...mages/poll.png I was pretty surprised to see the poll results in the right center of this page. -- Absinthe makes the tart grow fonder. http://www.websterscafe.com...

  1. Poll results

    --
    Absinthe makes the tart grow fonder.

    http://www.websterscafe.com

  2. Re: Poll results

    http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/techn...ote_vote_linux

    > I was pretty surprised to see the poll results in the right center of
    > this page.

    When I looked at it, there were over 56,000 votes.

    Will you be buying Leopard?
    Yes - I need new spots 22.40%
    No - I'm happy with Tiger 6.28%
    No - Linux is my OS of choice 14.20%
    No - I'm a Windows user 57.12%
    56445 Votes Cast

    Granted, it's not a scientific survey, the respondents are self-
    selected, and the respondents can vote more than once. On the other
    hand, it's a very large respondent base, and even if it's off by 2% it
    blows some HUGE holes in the claims that the Linux share is "Less than
    1%".

  3. Re: Poll results

    Rex Ballard writes:

    > On Oct 28, 1:18 pm, Handover Phist
    > wrote:
    >> http://www.websterscafe.com/e107_ima...mages/poll.png

    > http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/techn...ote_vote_linux
    >
    >> I was pretty surprised to see the poll results in the right center of
    >> this page.

    > When I looked at it, there were over 56,000 votes.
    >
    > Will you be buying Leopard?
    > Yes - I need new spots 22.40%
    > No - I'm happy with Tiger 6.28%
    > No - Linux is my OS of choice 14.20%
    > No - I'm a Windows user 57.12%
    > 56445 Votes Cast
    >
    > Granted, it's not a scientific survey, the respondents are self-
    > selected, and the respondents can vote more than once. On the other
    > hand, it's a very large respondent base, and even if it's off by 2% it
    > blows some HUGE holes in the claims that the Linux share is "Less than
    > 1%".

    Not when you think that

    (A) Its about a "Unix like OS" and

    (B) Linux users are doing their usual "vote many times" thing.

    It's absurd and you know it.

  4. Re: Poll results

    Hadron wrote:
    > Rex Ballard writes:
    >
    >> On Oct 28, 1:18 pm, Handover Phist
    >> wrote:
    >>> http://www.websterscafe.com/e107_ima...mages/poll.png

    >> http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/techn...ote_vote_linux
    >>
    >>> I was pretty surprised to see the poll results in the right center of
    >>> this page.

    >> When I looked at it, there were over 56,000 votes.
    >>
    >> Will you be buying Leopard?
    >> Yes - I need new spots 22.40%
    >> No - I'm happy with Tiger 6.28%
    >> No - Linux is my OS of choice 14.20%
    >> No - I'm a Windows user 57.12%
    >> 56445 Votes Cast
    >>
    >> Granted, it's not a scientific survey, the respondents are self-
    >> selected, and the respondents can vote more than once. On the other
    >> hand, it's a very large respondent base, and even if it's off by 2% it
    >> blows some HUGE holes in the claims that the Linux share is "Less than
    >> 1%".

    > Not when you think that
    >
    > (A) Its about a "Unix like OS" and
    >
    > (B) Linux users are doing their usual "vote many times" thing.

    .... and you can prove Windows users aren't voting multiple times?

    > It's absurd and you know it.

    We don't know any such thing.

  5. Re: Poll results

    On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 12:58:10 +0100, Hadron wrote:

    > Rex Ballard writes:
    >
    >> On Oct 28, 1:18 pm, Handover Phist
    >> wrote:
    >>> http://www.websterscafe.com/e107_ima...mages/poll.png

    >> http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/techn...ote_vote_linux
    >>
    >>> I was pretty surprised to see the poll results in the right center of
    >>> this page.

    >> When I looked at it, there were over 56,000 votes.
    >>
    >> Will you be buying Leopard?
    >> Yes - I need new spots 22.40%
    >> No - I'm happy with Tiger 6.28%
    >> No - Linux is my OS of choice 14.20%
    >> No - I'm a Windows user 57.12%
    >> 56445 Votes Cast
    >>
    >> Granted, it's not a scientific survey, the respondents are self-
    >> selected, and the respondents can vote more than once. On the other
    >> hand, it's a very large respondent base, and even if it's off by 2% it
    >> blows some HUGE holes in the claims that the Linux share is "Less than
    >> 1%".

    > Not when you think that
    >
    > (A) Its about a "Unix like OS" and
    >
    > (B) Linux users are doing their usual "vote many times" thing.

    'Usual' thing? And just what proof of that do you have of that? None, I
    bet.

    > It's absurd and you know it.

    Yes, it's certainly absurd to expect you to be honest about Linux users,
    it seems.

    --
    Kier

  6. Re: Poll results

    On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 10:54:38 -0400, Rick wrote:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> Not when you think that
    >>
    >> (A) Its about a "Unix like OS" and
    >>
    >> (B) Linux users are doing their usual "vote many times" thing.

    > ... and you can prove Windows users aren't voting multiple times?

    Well we know DFS voted multiple times. No doubt other trolls did as
    well.

    How many times did you vote Hadron?

  7. Re: Poll results

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Kier belched out this bit o' wisdom:

    > On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 12:58:10 +0100, Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> It's absurd and you know it.

    > Yes, it's certainly absurd to expect you to be honest about Linux users,
    > it seems.

    The fox never smells his own.

    --
    Tux rox!