[News] More Platform Diversity Coming to China? - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] More Platform Diversity Coming to China? - Linux ; SWsoft tries to virtualize China before VMware speaks the language ,----[ Quote ] | Moving forward, however, SWsoft will introduce a hypervisor-based platform as | well. It plans to ship a production version of Parallels Server early next | year. ...

  1. [News] More Platform Diversity Coming to China?

    SWsoft tries to virtualize China before VMware speaks the language

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Moving forward, however, SWsoft will introduce a hypervisor-based platform as
    | well. It plans to ship a production version of Parallels Server early next
    | year.
    `----

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/10..._china_inspur/

    Related:

    Swsoft plots buying spree

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The world+dog are lining up to kick Microsoft’s Viridian hypervisor, only
    | likely to arrive at the back end of next year and with some features
    | surgically removed, but Beloussov says the race isn’t to the swift. *
    |
    | "I don’t think it’s in massive trouble," he said. "It's the Microsoft model
    | not to innovate. Being first to market doesn’t matter."
    `----

    Virtualization is hot because Windows is not.

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Like many frustrated Unix weenies I bear a long standing resentment for the
    | way Microsoft simply obliterated the enterprise server market back in the mid
    | 90’s. Whether your favorite flavor was Solaris, HPUX, AIX, or IRIX (mine!) a
    | Unix guy grew up with things like reliability, uptime, shared resources,
    | multitasking, simple interface and openness.
    `----

    http://blogs.zdnet.com/threatchaos/?p=469

    Linux Set to Soar in China

    http://www.linuxinsider.com/story/50004.html

    Government says all new PCs must be Linux-friendly

    http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/fron.../03/2003311446

    CCID Consulting: China's Linux Market up by 30.9% in 2007Q1

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | As for industry segments, Linux market growth was mainly concentrated
    | in the government, financial services and telecom sectors, which accounted
    | for a market share of 34%, 22.5% and 21.2% respectively.
    `----

    http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/st...4583089&EDATE=
    http://tinyurl.com/yooq7a

    Red Hat sees FY07 greater China sales up 100 pct

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Red Hat Inc., a distributor of open-source Linux software, expects its
    | sales in the greater China region to double in fiscal 2007 and grow by
    | 85 percent in fiscal 2008, an executive said on Tuesday. "Our plan is to
    | have 100 percent growth this year, and 85 percent growth next year,"
    | Michael Chen, general manager of Red Hat China, told Reuters in an
    | interview.
    `----

    http://yahoo.reuters.com/news/articl...mktNews&rpc=44
    http://tinyurl.com/rdrsg

  2. Re: More Platform Diversity Coming to China? LINUX USERS SUPPORT HUMAN RIGHTS VIOLATIONS...

    Now if Linux users could only get China to stop their campaign of
    human rights violations.
    Stuff like killing babies when a mother/family go over quota.

    You Linux freaks are so desperate for support of your lame ass,
    ignored by the masses operating system that you'll even accept support
    from China.

    Sick.

  3. Re: More Platform Diversity Coming to China? LINUX USERS SUPPORT HUMAN RIGHTS VIOLATIONS...

    traci.manicotti@gmail.com wrote:

    [trolling crossposting deleted]

    > Now if Linux users could only get China to stop their campaign of
    > human rights violations.
    > Stuff like killing babies when a mother/family go over quota.
    >
    > You Linux freaks are so desperate for support of your lame ass,
    > ignored by the masses operating system that you'll even accept support
    > from China.

    Weblog entries on some parts of Microsoft's MSN site in China using words
    such as "freedom", "democracy" and "demonstration" are being blocked.

    Chinese bloggers already face strict controls and must register their online
    journal with Chinese authorities.

    Microsoft said the company abided by the laws, regulations and norms of each
    country in which it operates.

    Banned words

    The censorship is thought to have been introduced as a concession to the
    Chinese government.

    Regards,

    Gregory.
    Gentoo Linux - Penguin Power

  4. Re: More Platform Diversity Coming to China? LINUX USERS SUPPORT HUMAN RIGHTS VIOLATIONS...

    ____/ Gregory Shearman on Sunday 28 October 2007 22:15 : \____

    > traci.manicotti@gmail.com wrote:
    >
    > [trolling crossposting deleted]
    >
    >> Now if Linux users could only get China to stop their campaign of
    >> human rights violations.
    >> Stuff like killing babies when a mother/family go over quota.
    >>
    >> You Linux freaks are so desperate for support of your lame ass,
    >> ignored by the masses operating system that you'll even accept support
    >> from China.

    > Weblog entries on some parts of Microsoft's MSN site in China using words
    > such as "freedom", "democracy" and "demonstration" are being blocked.
    >
    > Chinese bloggers already face strict controls and must register their online
    > journal with Chinese authorities.
    >
    > Microsoft said the company abided by the laws, regulations and norms of each
    > country in which it operates.
    >
    > Banned words
    >
    > The censorship is thought to have been introduced as a concession to the
    > Chinese government.

    Yes, it's a self nuke for Gary Stewart.

    Yahoo!, Microsoft ink web pact with Chinese government

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Microsoft and Yahoo! have signed a pact with the Chinese government
    | that "encourages" the big name web players to record the identities of
    | bloggers and censor content. So says Reporters Without Borders, an
    | organization that fights for journalistic rights across the globe. *
    `----

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/08...blogging_pact/

    Microsoft sued by Beijing student for privacy infringement

    ,----[ Quote ]
    `----

    http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/20...nt_6718045.htm

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    ..oʍʇ sɐ buıɥʇ ɥɔns ou s,ǝɹǝɥʇ 'ɹǝpuǝq 'ʎɹɹoʍ ʇ,uop :ʎɹɟ
    ..oʍʇ ɐ ʍɐs ı ʇɥbnoɥʇ ı puɐ ...ǝɹǝɥʍʎɹǝʌǝ soɹǝz puɐ sǝuo .ɯɐǝɹp 1nɟʍɐ uɐ
    ʇɐɥʍ 'ɥɥɥɐ :ɹǝpuǝq
    Tasks: 109 total, 1 running, 107 sleeping, 0 stopped, 1 zombie

  5. Re: More Platform Diversity Coming to China?

    On Oct 28, 10:52 am, Roy Schestowitz
    wrote:
    > SWsoft tries to virtualize China before VMware speaks the language

    Virtualization is going to get very hot. With Motherboard makers now
    including hypervisors in their BIOS, the standards are established,
    and the market could get very competitive.

    > http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/10..._china_inspur/

    > Virtualization is hot because Windows is not.
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | Like many frustrated Unix weenies I bear a long standing resentment for the
    > | way Microsoft simply obliterated the enterprise server market back in the mid
    > | 90's.

    Which part of the 90's are you talking about? Microsoft blew away
    Novell in 1994-5 when they included file sharing and printer sharing
    with Windows NT 3.5 and later Windows 95. Windows 95 was terribly
    insecure but Microsoft kept that little problem quiet.

    Windows NT 4.0 did make a nice deep dent into the Novell market, but
    even then, Linux and SAMBA were already making inroads.

    Microsoft DID have a large percentage of the SSL Web server market.
    Apache running on *nix was doing most of the "heavy lifting" in the
    front end. Unix also did the heavy lifting on the back-end,
    especially databases such as Oracle, Sybase, and DB2.

    Linux and Unix were also being widely used for IP routers, e-mail
    relays, and numerous other "back end" systems.

    > | Whether your favorite flavor was Solaris, HPUX, AIX, or IRIX (mine!) a
    > | Unix guy grew up with things like reliability, uptime, shared resources,
    > | multitasking, simple interface and openness.

    And the corporations that I worked with (numerous financial
    institutions, brokerages, insurance companies, publishers, and large
    corporations) still used UNIX for most of their "Heavy Lifting".

    Microsoft was quite fond of comparing a pair of rendundant servers
    performing a single function such as IIS to a UNIX server which
    usually had the capability to run the IIS server, the DNS server, the
    LDAP/Security service, the Database server, and complex application
    servers used to manage work-flow, business rules, and exception
    recovery.

    It often took 4-6 Windows servers to perform the work handled by a
    single Linux or UNIX machine. DLL conflicts, version
    incompatibilities, and slow context switches, all prevent the use of a
    single Windows server to do multiple functions. Windows also had a
    reliability problem. The problem was that in order to get reasonable
    performance, application writers had to create applications using
    multiple concurrent threads running within a single process. With no
    memory protection between the threads, there were more problems with
    race conditions, deadlocks, bottlenecks, and memory allocation.
    Microsoft eventually made radical changes to Windows 2000 which
    improved the scheduler and made it more practical to use apartment
    threads, message queues, and other techniques to make it more reliable
    - but most of these weren't implemented until Microsoft declared
    Windows NT 4.0 "obsolete" in about 2003.

    Because the Windows machines were not as reliable, architects would
    use multiple redundant servers in "hot standby". Many of Microsoft's
    "success stories" involve dozens, even hundreds, of redundant Windows
    servers performing simple acts of "caching" and "routing" of simple
    transactions to or from remote servers.

    An even bigger problem for the Unix "share" of the market by revenue,
    was that the cost of Unix systems was getting progressively cheaper.
    IBM's Power PC chip was also being used in the iMac, and this made the
    chip costs for server chips much lower. Higher speed memory was also
    getting cheaper, along with high speed network and storage solutions.
    Linux had increased the demand for low-cost SCSI RAID arrays.
    Furthermore, Storage was often "Built In" to Windows servers,
    especially towers. UNIX servers and Linux servers often used SAN and
    NAS storage, which made the price of a *nix "server" much cheaper.

    In 1980, a VAX server would cost 1/2 million dollars including storage
    and peripherals. In 1990, the price of a single processor 8 megabyte
    server had dropped below $20,000 and 6 processor 64 megabyte SMP
    systems such as the Sun/6 processors had dropped to less than
    $50,000. By the end of the 1990s, the price of a single processor
    Solaris server had dropped to below $2,000. Today, SMP servers with 8
    cores and 16 gigabytes of storage can easily be configured for under
    $50,000. In effect, the modern 2007 Unix or Linux servers can do the
    work 10-20 servers of the 1990s.

    Ironically, Microsoft is still playing the same game. Pointing to
    increased box counts and revenue, not realizing that they are simply
    demonstrating the superior TCO of Linux and Unix.

    > http://blogs.zdnet.com/threatchaos/?p=469

  6. Re: More Platform Diversity Coming to China? LINUX USERS SUPPORT HUMAN RIGHTS VIOLATIONS...

    On Oct 28, 3:21 pm, traci.manico...@gmail.com wrote:
    > Now if Linux users could only get China to stop their campaign of
    > human rights violations.
    > Stuff like killing babies when a mother/family go over quota.

    So much worse than the solutions taken by other countries who can't
    feed their populations. Like the countries in Africa that just chop
    off the arms of children so they starve to death. Or the refugee
    camps where they can die of Cholera, Dysintary, starvation, or
    exposure. In Iran they had teenagers run into the machine guns of
    Saddam's imperial guard. Eventually Saddam had to turn to lethal gas
    to secure their borders against Iranian attacks, because they never
    knew which group was just a bunch of kids, and which group was a group
    preparing to blow up oil pipelines and derricks.

    Or India where, 20 years ago, the country had to determine which areas
    would have to die of starvation, because they couldn't reliably or
    safely feed the exploding population, because they couldn't sell
    export products to "developed" countries like the United States,
    Euroupe, and Japan.

    Sure, there were "charities" which would donate modest amounts of food
    and water to those who were most desparately in need, if they were
    willing to convert to Christianity.

    China had a population of over 1 billion people in the early 1970s,
    and desparately needed to stop an exponential growth curve. Failure
    to do so would have had global implications.

    The study authors determined the top 10 global killers to be:
    heart attack (6.3 million deaths);
    stroke (4.4 million); pneumonia (4.3 million);
    Lucky Americans - die of obesity.

    People in China, India, Malasia, and Africa aren't so lucky:
    diarrhea (2.9 million);
    birth-related illnesses (2.4 million);
    bronchitis/emphysema (2.2 million);
    tuberculosis (2 million);
    measles (1.1 million);
    By the way, I deeply respect the Bill and Melinda Gates foundation for
    their remarkably successful efforts in combatting these diseases.

    Malaria - the Mesquito - has killed more people globally than any
    shark, bear, lion, or snake.

    Another bunch for the lucky Americans and Westerners.
    road accidents (1 million);
    and cancers of the lung, bronchus, and trachea (900,000).

    In 1990 25 people died of war and violence.

    http://www.safecarguide.com/exp/stat...statistics.htm

    Even sadder than the girls who were killed by abortion or killed ad
    birth are the girls who were "sent down" - placed in orphanages, with
    primary purpose of being raised as marital slaves. In China, there is
    no social security. The only chance a woman has after her husband
    dies, is to live in the house of her son, and have here daughter-in-
    law take care of them. The mother of the girl simply dies of
    starvation, exposure, or disease, often within months after the death
    of her husband..

    > You Linux freaks are so desperate for support of your lame ass,
    > ignored by the masses operating system that you'll even accept support
    > from China.

    What would really be great is if people in china didn't have to die of
    starvation, because they could sell products to the United States,
    Europe, and other countries, so that they could buy the food and
    materials required to feed, clothe, and house their entire population.

    If Linux means that governments don't have to decide "who should live"
    and "who should die today", then Linus should be awarded the Nobel
    Peace Prize.

    Linux, OSS, and the Internet have created economic opportunity for
    billions of people. Not just the IT geeks who provide off-shore
    information services or answer help desk calls, but for the people who
    provided goods and services to those geeks, and the people who
    provided food and clothing to those providers.

    > Sick.

+ Reply to Thread