Connecting to Windows - Linux

This is a discussion on Connecting to Windows - Linux ; I have tried Beatrix, CentOS 4, Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Knoppix, etc - and I have noticed that from a Gnome based Desktop Manager, it takes a while to connect and transfer files from a Windows machine. But from a KDE based ...

  1. Connecting to Windows

    I have tried Beatrix, CentOS 4, Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Knoppix, etc - and I have
    noticed that from a Gnome based Desktop Manager, it takes a while to connect
    and transfer files from a Windows machine. But from a KDE based desktop, it
    was like being on Windows in terms of response time - can someone tell me
    the fix for Gnome or something I am supposed to change?

  2. Re: Connecting to Windows

    I'm using Scientific Linux 4, a re-compile of RHEL 4 and am experiencing the
    same slowdowns. I did notice that the gnome-vfs-2.0 package contained a
    dependency within one of it's libraries on libsmbclient.so. At one point we
    compiled up our own samba from samba 3.0.12(3.0.13 being the latest ATM) and
    then the gnome-vfs-2.0 library depended on the newly compiled smbclient.so.
    This gave us some performance improvement, but it was still slow compared to KDE
    as a client, smbclient as a client, as well as windows as a client. So, in
    short, recompiling up your own samba can help some, but it's still slow. As
    always, YMMV.

    KT wrote:
    > I have tried Beatrix, CentOS 4, Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Knoppix, etc - and I have
    > noticed that from a Gnome based Desktop Manager, it takes a while to connect
    > and transfer files from a Windows machine. But from a KDE based desktop, it
    > was like being on Windows in terms of response time - can someone tell me
    > the fix for Gnome or something I am supposed to change?

+ Reply to Thread