[News] European Commission Finally Becomes Aware of GPL 'Poison' in Microsoft Agreement - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] European Commission Finally Becomes Aware of GPL 'Poison' in Microsoft Agreement - Linux ; EU: Microsoft's EU patent pledge 'incompatible with Open Source' ,----[ Quote ] | The changes mandated by the European Commission in Microsoft's | interoperability licences will continue to block Open Source developers, | legal experts on this type of software ...

  1. [News] European Commission Finally Becomes Aware of GPL 'Poison' in Microsoft Agreement

    EU: Microsoft's EU patent pledge 'incompatible with Open Source'

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The changes mandated by the European Commission in Microsoft's
    | interoperability licences will continue to block Open Source developers,
    | legal experts on this type of software say.
    |
    | "The agreement is going to run foul of the GPL," IT news site VNUNet quotes
    | Mark Webbink, the director of the Software Freedom Law Center. The GNU
    | General Public License is one of the most used Open Source licences.
    `----

    http://ec.europa.eu/idabc/en/document/7261/469

    Microsoft's trick revealed.

    Microsoft and open-source backers: best 'frenemies' forever?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | "Microsoft appears to have accepted that Linux - on servers and devices at
    | least, if not the desktop - cannot be completely stopped," said Daniel Egger,
    | CEO of consulting firm Open Source Risk Management.
    `----

    http://www.techworld.com/opsys/featu...62&pagtype=all

    Related:

    Microsoft's EU patent pledge incompatible with GPL

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Linux vendors will be unable to license Microsoft's interoperability patents
    | under the terms that were mandated by the European Commission, open source
    | legal experts argue. *
    |
    | It is claimed that the the terms are incompatible with the General Public
    | Licence (GPL), the licence that governs the Linux operating system.
    `----

    http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/22...-patent-pledge

    Is Microsoft’s Europe agreement a big deal?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | If open source developers find greater protection for their work and its
    | results in Europe than in America that’s where they will gravitate. That’s
    | the kind of regime the EU is trying to create. We ignore that and dismiss
    | that at our peril. *
    `----

    http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=1584

    Half A Loaf

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Yes, open source will have access to the interoperability information
    | on "reasonable" terms (ask independent open source developers how many can
    | afford to cough up the $15,000 such access will cost), but nothing in this
    | statement indicates the Commission has overcome Microsoft's "refusa[al] to *
    | make the [patent] licence compatible with the open source business model." In
    | fact, we can expect that nothing about that patent license will be compatible
    | with the most widely used open source license, the GNU General Public
    | License. * * *
    `----

    http://walkingwithelephants.blogspot...half-loaf.html

    EU tells open source to start paying MS patent tax

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | EU Commissioner Kroes' deal with Microsoft creates real dangers to Europe's
    | growing open source economy, warns the FFII. Using patent licenses that
    | exclude businesses, the software monopolist has turned the EU competition
    | ruling into a victory, and now gets implicit support from the Commission to
    | proceed aggressively against its competitors. * *
    `----

    http://press.ffii.org/Press_releases..._MS_patent_tax

    Late night baseball games, Microsoft concessions evoke big yawns at open source
    water cooler

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | It will benefit purveyors of proprietary software but not open source
    | developers, agreed Michael Goulde, analyst of open source strategy at
    | Forrester Research, Cambridge, Mass. “Some open source developers believe
    | that Microsoft should make its protocols available for use royalty free. In
    | some cases, there are open source license restrictions that make it not
    | possible for the software to include Microsoft licensed code – because you
    | can’t downstream the license. So, unless Microsoft goes way beyond what it
    | has agreed with the EU to do, only a subset of open source developers will
    | have much interest. They’ll continue reverse engineering Microsoft protocols
    | and doing the best they can." * * * *
    `----

    http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=1582

    Let's Make a Deal - The MS-EU Settlement

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The patent part is terrible. Worse than terrible. They are not blocked from
    | offering patent deals, only constrained as to how much to charge for a
    | license, which is not and never was the issue. So they'll beef up those
    | initiatives, I'm sure. However, the good part is that they were compelled to
    | separate the patent license offer out and make it optional. Thanks, but no
    | thanks. * *
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | I'm guessing Microsoft lawyers are high fiving each other, having snatched an
    | important victory from utter and total defeat. The rest is excellent, of
    | course, and in no way do I mean to detract from the hard work and persistence
    | that the EU Commission has shown. However, I don't think they understand how
    | seriously broken the US patent system is currently, and how easy it is to *
    | abuse it, or they don't feel it's their job to fix the US problems, or how
    | central patents are to Microsoft's current strategy against FOSS. * *
    `----

  2. Re: [News] European Commission Finally Becomes Aware of GPL 'Poison' in Microsoft Agreement

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    > EU: Microsoft's EU patent pledge 'incompatible with Open Source'
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| The changes mandated by the European Commission in Microsoft's
    >| interoperability licences will continue to block Open Source developers,
    >| legal experts on this type of software say.
    >|
    >| "The agreement is going to run foul of the GPL," IT news site VNUNet quotes
    >| Mark Webbink, the director of the Software Freedom Law Centre. The GNU
    >| General Public Licence is one of the most used Open Source licences.
    > `----
    >
    > http://ec.europa.eu/idabc/en/document/7261/469
    >
    > Microsoft's trick revealed.
    >
    > Microsoft and open-source backers: best 'frenemies' forever?
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| "Microsoft appears to have accepted that Linux - on servers and devices at
    >| least, if not the desktop - cannot be completely stopped," said Daniel Egger,
    >| CEO of consulting firm Open Source Risk Management.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.techworld.com/opsys/featu...62&pagtype=all

    Yahoo - the world is working it out on their own! I think this really
    illustrates just how far we've come in terms of explaining both the
    issues and the /importance/ of those issues.