Congressman to Comcast: Stop interfering with BitTorrent - Linux

This is a discussion on Congressman to Comcast: Stop interfering with BitTorrent - Linux ; (Democrat) Congressman to Comcast: Stop interfering with BitTorrent While a class action lawsuit is definitely one way to get Comcast to behave, another perhaps more productive way to do so is to have politicians step in and regulate. On Tuesday, ...

  1. Congressman to Comcast: Stop interfering with BitTorrent

    (Democrat) Congressman to Comcast: Stop interfering with BitTorrent

    While a class action lawsuit is definitely one way to get Comcast to
    behave, another perhaps more productive way to do so is to have
    politicians step in and regulate.

    On Tuesday, I discussed the issue of Comcast's anti-BitTorrent
    "network management" with Rep. Rick Boucher, D-Va., who is a strong
    supporter of consumer rights and has led the battle to undo the damage
    caused by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act, or DMCA.

    He was named Politician of the Year for 2006 by Library Journal,
    largely due to his efforts to protect the fair-use doctrine and expand
    Internet technologies to rural areas.

    "Comcast has made a major mistake in attempting to hinder peer-to-peer
    file sharing as an aspect of its network management," Boucher said.
    "The inability of customers to (share files) significantly diminishes
    their ability to utilize the Internet for one of its most important
    applications, which is user-to-user content." He also noted that "file
    sharing is already being used for a wide variety of perfectly lawful
    and appropriate applications."

    http://www.cnet.com/8301-13739_1-9804158-46.html

    -RFH

    ps: Comments from the right side of the aisle (scarcely represented in
    COLA by John Bailo alone) are welcome...

  2. Re: Congressman to Comcast: Stop interfering with BitTorrent

    Ramon F Herrera wrote:
    > (Democrat) Congressman to Comcast: Stop interfering with BitTorrent
    >
    > While a class action lawsuit is definitely one way to get Comcast to
    > behave, another perhaps more productive way to do so is to have
    > politicians step in and regulate.

    I am vehemently opposed to any sort of regulation in this matter. A
    class action lawsuit is a perfectly legitimate way to address the
    problem--there is no need to allow the federal government the authority
    to regulate the internet.

  3. Re: Congressman to Comcast: Stop interfering with BitTorrent

    On Oct 29, 11:50 am, TheLetterK wrote:
    > Ramon F Herrera wrote:
    > > (Democrat) Congressman to Comcast: Stop interfering with BitTorrent

    > > While a class action lawsuit is definitely one way to get Comcast to
    > > behave, another perhaps more productive way to do so is to have
    > > politicians step in and regulate.

    > I am vehemently opposed to any sort of regulation in this matter. A
    > class action lawsuit is a perfectly legitimate way to address the
    > problem--there is no need to allow the federal government the authority
    > to regulate the internet.

    I am also against regulation, but I am very much in favor of the
    *threat* of regulation.

    Congressmen to Comcast: "You'd better get your act together. You don't
    want us to step in, do you?".

    -Ramon

+ Reply to Thread