Vote for Linux - Linux

This is a discussion on Vote for Linux - Linux ; Found this on uk.comp.os.linux 'The first time the BBC has included Linux in its Polls - don't waste your vote! http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/ '...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Vote for Linux

  1. Vote for Linux

    Found this on uk.comp.os.linux


    'The first time the BBC has included Linux in its Polls - don't waste
    your vote!

    http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/
    '

  2. Re: Vote for Linux


    7 wrote:
    > Found this on uk.comp.os.linux
    >
    >
    > 'The first time the BBC has included Linux in its Polls - don't waste
    > your vote!
    >
    > http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/
    > '


    I just voted for Leapord.
    88 times in fact.

    Looks like Linux crackers are stuffing the ballot box because people
    running other operating systems could care less because their systems
    are supported.

    Poor Linux.
    Why is it that you guys have to beg, borrow and steal everything?


  3. Re: Vote for Linux

    Appil Asstroturfer traci.manicotti@gmail.com wrote on behalf of Appil
    Corporation:

    >
    > 7 wrote:
    >> Found this on uk.comp.os.linux
    >>
    >>
    >> 'The first time the BBC has included Linux in its Polls - don't waste
    >> your vote!
    >>
    >> http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/
    >> '

    >
    > I just voted for Leapord.
    > 88 times in fact.



    Thats why I posted the link.

    Go figure.



  4. Re: Vote for Linux

    ____/ 7 on Saturday 27 October 2007 22:21 : \____

    > Found this on uk.comp.os.linux
    >
    >
    > 'The first time the BBC has included Linux in its Polls - don't waste
    > your vote!
    >
    > http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/


    It took some protest for them to even include a Linux option. Perhaps the MSBBC
    tries to pretend it does not exist.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | "Quote when replying in non-real-time dialogues"
    http://Schestowitz.com | Free as in Free Beer | PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E
    Cpu(s): 26.1%us, 4.6%sy, 1.0%ni, 64.1%id, 3.9%wa, 0.2%hi, 0.2%si, 0.0%st
    http://iuron.com - semantic engine to gather information

  5. Re: Vote for Linux

    On Sun, 28 Oct 2007 01:16:06 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > ____/ 7 on Saturday 27 October 2007 22:21 : \____
    >
    >> Found this on uk.comp.os.linux
    >>
    >>
    >> 'The first time the BBC has included Linux in its Polls - don't waste
    >> your vote!
    >>
    >> http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/

    >
    > It took some protest for them to even include a Linux option. Perhaps the MSBBC
    > tries to pretend it does not exist.


    Or maybe the 'MSBBC' doesn't exist. Stop being so stupid, Roy. The BBC
    knows quite well that Linux exists, and has reported on it many times.

    --
    Kier


  6. Re: Vote for Linux

    ____/ [H]omer on Sunday 28 October 2007 01:38 : \____

    > Verily I say unto thee, that Roy Schestowitz spake thusly:
    >
    >> It took some protest for them to even include a Linux option.

    >
    > Really? Where did you hear that?


    In Digg.com. By the time I saw this (about half a day later), the Linux option
    was suddenly there.

    Bottom line: MSBBC tried to ignore Linux, but the large number of Linux users
    in the UK led to an outcry. The suppressor was unable to suppress, so to
    speak.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | "Nothing to see in this sig, please move along"
    http://Schestowitz.com | Open Prospects | PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E
    Tasks: 123 total, 1 running, 121 sleeping, 0 stopped, 1 zombie
    http://iuron.com - knowledge engine, not a search engine

  7. Re: Vote for Linux

    [H]omer wrote:

    > Verily I say unto thee, that Roy Schestowitz spake thusly:
    >
    >> It took some protest for them to even include a Linux option.

    >
    > Really? Where did you hear that?


    I've read about it in Linux mailing lists, especially UK ones.

    --
    Operating systems: FreeBSD 6.2, PC-BSD 1.4,
    Testing: FreeBSD 7.0-BETA1.5
    Linux systems: Debian 4.0, PCLinuxOS 2007,
    Kubuntu 7.10 "Gutsy"

  8. Re: Vote for Linux

    Kier wrote:

    > On Sun, 28 Oct 2007 01:16:06 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    >> ____/ 7 on Saturday 27 October 2007 22:21 : \____
    >>
    >>> Found this on uk.comp.os.linux
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> 'The first time the BBC has included Linux in its Polls - don't waste
    >>> your vote!
    >>>
    >>> http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/

    >>
    >> It took some protest for them to even include a Linux option. Perhaps the
    >> MSBBC tries to pretend it does not exist.

    >
    > Or maybe the 'MSBBC' doesn't exist. Stop being so stupid, Roy. The BBC
    > knows quite well that Linux exists, and has reported on it many times.



    Liar.

    MSBBC consistently fails to report open source despite
    it having become mainstream years ago.


  9. Re: Vote for Linux


    7 wrote:
    > Kier wrote:
    >
    > > On Sun, 28 Oct 2007 01:16:06 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    > >
    > >> ____/ 7 on Saturday 27 October 2007 22:21 : \____
    > >>
    > >>> Found this on uk.comp.os.linux
    > >>>
    > >>>
    > >>> 'The first time the BBC has included Linux in its Polls - don't waste
    > >>> your vote!
    > >>>
    > >>> http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/
    > >>
    > >> It took some protest for them to even include a Linux option. Perhaps the
    > >> MSBBC tries to pretend it does not exist.

    > >
    > > Or maybe the 'MSBBC' doesn't exist. Stop being so stupid, Roy. The BBC
    > > knows quite well that Linux exists, and has reported on it many times.

    >
    >
    > Liar.
    >
    > MSBBC consistently fails to report open source despite
    > it having become mainstream years ago.


    The BBC has been mainstream for years.
    Oh, silly me, you meant Linux is mainstream.

    Tell me, how can an operating system that has about 1 percent of the
    desktop market be called 'mainstream' ?
    That's really funny!

    You Linux freaks get more humorous by the hour.
    First it's campaigns to stuff the ballot boxes, now Linux is
    mainstream,
    God that is funny.......................


  10. Re: Vote for Linux

    traci.manicotti@gmail.com wrote:

    [trolling crossposting deleted]

    > The BBC has been mainstream for years.
    > Oh, silly me, you meant Linux is mainstream.
    >
    > Tell me, how can an operating system that has about 1 percent of the
    > desktop market be called 'mainstream' ?


    Now you're just making things up.

    No one really knows how many linux machines are out there behind NAT routers
    using squid caching proxy. I've got 5 here that would only register as 1
    machine.

    BTW.. what about other "markets" beside the rather meaningless "desktop"?

    You cherry pick and put up fake stats... who would ever take you seriously.

    --
    Regards,

    Gregory.
    Gentoo Linux - Penguin Power

  11. Re: Vote for Linux

    On Oct 27, 5:21 pm, 7 wrote:
    > Found this on uk.comp.os.linux
    >
    > 'The first time the BBC has included Linux in its Polls - don't waste
    > your vote!
    >
    > http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/
    > '


    As of 10/28/2007 7:36 PM EST (about 26 hours later?)
    The vote stands at
    Will you be buying Leopard?
    22.40% - Yes - I need new spots
    6.28% - No - I'm happy with Tiger
    14.20% - Linux is my OS of choice.
    57.12% - No - I'm a Windows user.

    My dad got Leopard for his iMac - he loves it!
    Too bad I can't pick up a version of Leopard for my Z-60p it might be
    worth $160 just for the "test drive".

    Not sure I'm willing to pay $2300 for a new laptop that I can't use on
    engagements.

    On the other hand, for $150, I can get a new laptop drive, install
    Gutsy Gibbon, and have a nice "new" computer.



  12. Re: Vote for Linux

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    > ____/ [H]omer on Sunday 28 October 2007 01:38 : \____
    >
    >> Verily I say unto thee, that Roy Schestowitz spake thusly:
    >>
    >>> It took some protest for them to even include a Linux option.

    >>
    >> Really? Where did you hear that?

    >
    > In Digg.com. By the time I saw this (about half a day later), the Linux option
    > was suddenly there.
    >
    > Bottom line: MSBBC tried to ignore Linux, but the large number of Linux users
    > in the UK led to an outcry. The suppressor was unable to suppress, so to
    > speak.
    >


    But look at this:

    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    VOTE RESULTS
    Will you be buying Leopard?
    Yes - I need new spots 22.26%
    No - I'm happy with Tiger 6.31%
    No - Linux is my OS of choice 14.43%
    No - I'm a Windows user 56.98%

    62508 Votes Cast
    Results are indicative and may not reflect public opinion
    ------------------------------------------------------------------

    So, 14% of people voting when reading an Apple article are,
    .... wait for it ...

    Linux users!

    No doubt there have been a lot of people paid to vote for our two
    proprietary contenders, too. Anyway, if you are a linux user and
    haven't voted, get on there *now* and do it! If you're an Apple or
    Windows user, why are you in cola?

    --
    | Mark Kent -- mark at ellandroad dot demon dot co dot uk |
    | Cola faq: http://www.faqs.org/faqs/linux/advocacy/faq-and-primer/ |
    | Cola trolls: http://colatrolls.blogspot.com/ |
    | My (new) blog: http://www.thereisnomagic.org |

  13. Re: Vote for Linux

    Rex Ballard espoused:
    > On Oct 27, 5:21 pm, 7 wrote:
    >> Found this on uk.comp.os.linux
    >>
    >> 'The first time the BBC has included Linux in its Polls - don't waste
    >> your vote!
    >>
    >> http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/
    >> '

    >
    > As of 10/28/2007 7:36 PM EST (about 26 hours later?)
    > The vote stands at
    > Will you be buying Leopard?
    > 22.40% - Yes - I need new spots
    > 6.28% - No - I'm happy with Tiger
    > 14.20% - Linux is my OS of choice.
    > 57.12% - No - I'm a Windows user.
    >
    > My dad got Leopard for his iMac - he loves it!
    > Too bad I can't pick up a version of Leopard for my Z-60p it might be
    > worth $160 just for the "test drive".
    >
    > Not sure I'm willing to pay $2300 for a new laptop that I can't use on
    > engagements.
    >
    > On the other hand, for $150, I can get a new laptop drive, install
    > Gutsy Gibbon, and have a nice "new" computer.
    >


    Ah, I've just updated this... elsewhere in the thread.

    --
    | Mark Kent -- mark at ellandroad dot demon dot co dot uk |
    | Cola faq: http://www.faqs.org/faqs/linux/advocacy/faq-and-primer/ |
    | Cola trolls: http://colatrolls.blogspot.com/ |
    | My (new) blog: http://www.thereisnomagic.org |

  14. Re: Vote for Linux

    ____/ Mark Kent on Monday 29 October 2007 10:21 : \____

    > Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    >> ____/ [H]omer on Sunday 28 October 2007 01:38 : \____
    >>
    >>> Verily I say unto thee, that Roy Schestowitz spake thusly:
    >>>
    >>>> It took some protest for them to even include a Linux option.
    >>>
    >>> Really? Where did you hear that?

    >>
    >> In Digg.com. By the time I saw this (about half a day later), the Linux
    >> option was suddenly there.
    >>
    >> Bottom line: MSBBC tried to ignore Linux, but the large number of Linux
    >> users in the UK led to an outcry. The suppressor was unable to suppress, so
    >> to speak.
    >>

    >
    > But look at this:
    >
    > ------------------------------------------------------------------
    > VOTE RESULTS
    > Will you be buying Leopard?
    > Yes - I need new spots 22.26%
    > No - I'm happy with Tiger 6.31%
    > No - Linux is my OS of choice 14.43%
    > No - I'm a Windows user 56.98%
    >
    > 62508 Votes Cast
    > Results are indicative and may not reflect public opinion
    > ------------------------------------------------------------------
    >
    > So, 14% of people voting when reading an Apple article are,
    > ... wait for it ...
    >
    > Linux users!
    >
    > No doubt there have been a lot of people paid to vote for our two
    > proprietary contenders, too. Anyway, if you are a linux user and
    > haven't voted, get on there *now* and do it! If you're an Apple or
    > Windows user, why are you in cola?
    >


    I could never figure out people who spend a lot of time promoting Apple
    products. Apple already pays mil/billions for full-time marketing people, so
    the others are doing it for free, making somebody else rich. This isn't the
    case with Linux, which has no parent company or owner. I'm not talingk about
    cheerleading for one Linux company like John Bailo does... I'm talking about
    plain Linux... you know, the plain Linux that Novell is now working to
    destroy, along with Microsoft.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | make install -not war
    http://Schestowitz.com | Open Prospects | PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E
    Tasks: 114 total, 1 running, 112 sleeping, 0 stopped, 1 zombie
    http://iuron.com - knowledge engine, not a search engine

  15. Re: Vote for Linux

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > ____/ Mark Kent on Monday 29 October 2007 10:21 : \____
    >
    >> Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    >>> ____/ [H]omer on Sunday 28 October 2007 01:38 : \____
    >>>
    >>>> Verily I say unto thee, that Roy Schestowitz spake thusly:
    >>>>
    >>>>> It took some protest for them to even include a Linux option.
    >>>>
    >>>> Really? Where did you hear that?
    >>>
    >>> In Digg.com. By the time I saw this (about half a day later), the Linux
    >>> option was suddenly there.
    >>>
    >>> Bottom line: MSBBC tried to ignore Linux, but the large number of Linux
    >>> users in the UK led to an outcry. The suppressor was unable to suppress,
    >>> so to speak.
    >>>

    >>
    >> But look at this:
    >>
    >> ------------------------------------------------------------------
    >> VOTE RESULTS
    >> Will you be buying Leopard?
    >> Yes - I need new spots 22.26%
    >> No - I'm happy with Tiger 6.31%
    >> No - Linux is my OS of choice 14.43%
    >> No - I'm a Windows user 56.98%
    >>
    >> 62508 Votes Cast
    >> Results are indicative and may not reflect public opinion
    >> ------------------------------------------------------------------
    >>
    >> So, 14% of people voting when reading an Apple article are,
    >> ... wait for it ...
    >>
    >> Linux users!
    >>
    >> No doubt there have been a lot of people paid to vote for our two
    >> proprietary contenders, too. Anyway, if you are a linux user and
    >> haven't voted, get on there *now* and do it! If you're an Apple or
    >> Windows user, why are you in cola?
    >>

    >
    > I could never figure out people who spend a lot of time promoting Apple
    > products. Apple already pays mil/billions for full-time marketing people,
    > so the others are doing it for free, making somebody else rich. This isn't
    > the case with Linux, which has no parent company or owner. I'm not talingk
    > about cheerleading for one Linux company like John Bailo does... I'm
    > talking about plain Linux... you know, the plain Linux that Novell is now
    > working to destroy, along with Microsoft.
    >


    Same for windows advocates. If windows is the dominant species, then why
    do "they" feel so compelled to defend windows/microsoft and spend so much
    energy and time bashing/fudding Linux? Talk to anyone that works with
    windows and they will tell you how horrible it is... talk to any paid
    microsoft shill and all you hear is how good it is. It's so obvious, it's
    actually funny.



    --


    Jerry McBride

  16. Re: Vote for Linux

    Jerry McBride espoused:
    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    >> ____/ Mark Kent on Monday 29 October 2007 10:21 : \____
    >>
    >>> Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    >>>> ____/ [H]omer on Sunday 28 October 2007 01:38 : \____
    >>>>
    >>>>> Verily I say unto thee, that Roy Schestowitz spake thusly:
    >>>>>
    >>>>>> It took some protest for them to even include a Linux option.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> Really? Where did you hear that?
    >>>>
    >>>> In Digg.com. By the time I saw this (about half a day later), the Linux
    >>>> option was suddenly there.
    >>>>
    >>>> Bottom line: MSBBC tried to ignore Linux, but the large number of Linux
    >>>> users in the UK led to an outcry. The suppressor was unable to suppress,
    >>>> so to speak.
    >>>>
    >>>
    >>> But look at this:
    >>>
    >>> ------------------------------------------------------------------
    >>> VOTE RESULTS
    >>> Will you be buying Leopard?
    >>> Yes - I need new spots 22.26%
    >>> No - I'm happy with Tiger 6.31%
    >>> No - Linux is my OS of choice 14.43%
    >>> No - I'm a Windows user 56.98%
    >>>
    >>> 62508 Votes Cast
    >>> Results are indicative and may not reflect public opinion
    >>> ------------------------------------------------------------------
    >>>
    >>> So, 14% of people voting when reading an Apple article are,
    >>> ... wait for it ...
    >>>
    >>> Linux users!
    >>>
    >>> No doubt there have been a lot of people paid to vote for our two
    >>> proprietary contenders, too. Anyway, if you are a linux user and
    >>> haven't voted, get on there *now* and do it! If you're an Apple or
    >>> Windows user, why are you in cola?
    >>>

    >>
    >> I could never figure out people who spend a lot of time promoting Apple
    >> products. Apple already pays mil/billions for full-time marketing people,
    >> so the others are doing it for free, making somebody else rich. This isn't
    >> the case with Linux, which has no parent company or owner. I'm not talingk
    >> about cheerleading for one Linux company like John Bailo does... I'm
    >> talking about plain Linux... you know, the plain Linux that Novell is now
    >> working to destroy, along with Microsoft.
    >>

    >
    > Same for windows advocates. If windows is the dominant species, then why
    > do "they" feel so compelled to defend windows/microsoft and spend so much
    > energy and time bashing/fudding Linux? Talk to anyone that works with
    > windows and they will tell you how horrible it is... talk to any paid
    > microsoft shill and all you hear is how good it is. It's so obvious, it's
    > actually funny.
    >


    There's a very interesting issue about people and how they think
    underlying all of this. Almost all pro-Microsoft Windows people I've
    come across have relatively weak technical backgrounds, but then fall
    into two further sub-categories. Cat a) are those who, when given a
    little more information by myself and others regarding the practices of
    Microsoft as well as the alternatives, and their pros and cons
    (particularly on the economics of lock-in, and the position of control
    in proprietary versus open platforms), will come around to a more "open"
    perspective; Cat b) are those who, no matter what is expressed, are so
    technically weak that they are convinced that they could not possibly
    learn anything new technically anyway, so will "demand" that Windows is
    better, no matter what evidence is put in front of them.

    We have quite a few Cat b)s here, and I do not recall seeing many Cat
    a)s, although there could've been one or two through at some point.

    People are inclined to stick with what they know, *but*, if enough
    people go a different way, the same people will *go with the flow*
    instead. This is the crux of the "tipping point" argument, and is why
    tipping point occurs so far before the major adoption curve.

    The hard part is "crossing the chasm" from a niche offering to something
    which will inevitably have mass adoption. GPLed software got around
    this problem completely by the nature of the licence. It's impossible
    for anyone ever to become stranded with GPLed software in the way that
    they can with proprietary, since it's always possible to take it forward
    in some way.

    --
    | Mark Kent -- mark at ellandroad dot demon dot co dot uk |
    | Cola faq: http://www.faqs.org/faqs/linux/advocacy/faq-and-primer/ |
    | Cola trolls: http://colatrolls.blogspot.com/ |
    | My (new) blog: http://www.thereisnomagic.org |

  17. Re: Vote for Linux

    ____/ Mark Kent on Monday 29 October 2007 14:39 : \____

    > This is the crux of the "tipping point" argument, and is why
    > tipping point occurs so far before the major adoption curve.


    Exactly. I've recently convinced my one of colleagues that Linux is inevitable
    in the sense that _at the end_ everyone will use it anyway, so why not start
    now? (some say that Linux usage doubled in the past year, for example).

    It was then that he decided to move to Linux, one step at a time. From being a
    Microsoft fan he has turned to one who does all his programming (for now) in
    PHP/MySQL. So far, so good. He'll have his software used in the Hospital soon,
    so he's excited (FOSS in the NHS can make one sneeze).

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | "Web 2.0 is everything that can be spammed" --Unknown
    http://Schestowitz.com | RHAT GNU/Linux | PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E
    run-level 2 2007-10-16 15:14 last=
    http://iuron.com - help build a non-profit search engine

  18. Re: Vote for Linux

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    > ____/ Mark Kent on Monday 29 October 2007 14:39 : \____
    >
    >> This is the crux of the "tipping point" argument, and is why
    >> tipping point occurs so far before the major adoption curve.

    >
    > Exactly. I've recently convinced my one of colleagues that Linux is inevitable
    > in the sense that _at the end_ everyone will use it anyway, so why not start
    > now? (some say that Linux usage doubled in the past year, for example).


    That's it! Tipping point!

    >
    > It was then that he decided to move to Linux, one step at a time. From being a
    > Microsoft fan he has turned to one who does all his programming (for now) in
    > PHP/MySQL. So far, so good. He'll have his software used in the Hospital soon,
    > so he's excited (FOSS in the NHS can make one sneeze).
    >


    Good man! I hope this continues to go well. I think that once people
    have a chance to get used to the personal freedom open-source brings,
    few go back to the proprietary models with the same degree of acceptance
    that they had before.

    --
    | Mark Kent -- mark at ellandroad dot demon dot co dot uk |
    | Cola faq: http://www.faqs.org/faqs/linux/advocacy/faq-and-primer/ |
    | Cola trolls: http://colatrolls.blogspot.com/ |
    | My (new) blog: http://www.thereisnomagic.org |

+ Reply to Thread