World Series hype, GPLv3 adoption increase in October

,----[ Quote ]
| The hype, no thanks to FOX and those Dane Cook promos, has reached a fever
| pitch (pun intended). The GPL, on the other hand, saw above average adoption
| rates among open source developers and their projects.
`----

http://enterpriselinuxlog.blogs.tech...se-in-october/

GPL Project Watch List for the Week of 10/26/07

,----[ Quote ]
| Even though the holiday for this month is Halloween, it feels like Christmas,
| at least for the GPL v3.
`----

http://gpl3.blogspot.com/2007/10/gpl...d-to-give.html

Related:

Why does Microsoft seem scared of GPLv3?

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft is extremely keen to avoid "legal debate" over whether its recent
| partnerships with Linux firms such as Novell, Xandros, and Linspire, mean
| Redmond must assume any of the new licenses' legal obligations.
`----

The Badger Game

,----[ Quote ]
| So, by threatening everything and promising nothing (because would Microsoft
| really sue anyone for patents, knowing how many competitors in the Linux
| community have patents of their own?), Microsoft has skillfully managed to
| get open source players to endorse Open XML. A variant of the classic Badger
| Game if I ever heard one.
|
| Faced with cons like this, I am beginning to realize that having something
| like the GPLv3 around is a very good idea. Even though the new GPL could not
| have prevented this scam, it may help in the future.
`----

http://www.linuxtoday.com/infrastruc...71302826OPMSPB

Apache Foundation Co-Founder Likes GPLv3

,----[ Quote ]
| "This what Apache has long wanted because we do want them
| [GPL-oriented developers] to use it [Apache code], and we
| didn't like even considering the prospect of GPL-only
| re-implementations of our works just for compatibility's
| sake." GLPv3, he added, "is good news, from my perspective."
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/blog/..._foundati.html

MS: Dancing as fast as it can to try to get away from GPLv3

,----[ Quote ]
| Want to laugh? Microsoft Says It Is Not Bound by GPLv3" -- they think they
| can so declare, like an emperor, and it becomes fiat. It's not so easy.
| I gather Microsoft's lawyers have begun to discern the GPL pickle they
| are in.
`----

GPL3 welcomed by IBM, Red Hat, Novell, MySQL

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.builderau.com.au/news/soa...9279403,00.htm

,----[ Quoye ]
| [Chris DiBona of Google:] The latest revision [of GPLv3] is actually pretty
| good.
`----

[Creative Commons in Support of] GPLv3!

,----[ Quote ]
| Note that Creative Commons has always recommended the GPL and other
| free software licenses for software. We look forward to transitioning
| software we create to GPLv3.
`----

Linux guru backs new GNU licence

,----[ Quote ]
| Open source guru Alan Cox has voiced his support for the
| controversial version 3.0 of the GNU General Public Licence
| in an exclusive podcast interview with Computer Weekly.
`----

http://www.computerweekly.com/Articl...nu-licence.htm

The Real Meaning of GNU GPLv3

,----[ Quote ]
| Taken together, these different aspects underline why the release of
| the final version of the GNU GPLv3 is such a big event. Its appearance
| represents the crystallisation of major trends within the world of
| technology and business – and even beyond.
`----

http://www.linuxjournal.com/node/1000246

Alan Cox Interview

,----[ Quote ]
| Personally I think it's a bad idea and that Novell are going to
| get stung by the GPLv3, and rightfully so. The license is designed
| to keep the software free, if it fails to do this then it needs
| fixing, so GPLv3 hopefully will fix this flaw.
`----

http://www.abclinuxu.cz/clanky/rozho...lan-cox?page=1

Apache, GPL License Compatibility Back On Track

,----[ Quote ]
| GPL 3 is now on track to be finalized in August. Its adoption will be
| a major milestone in the open-source industry and will force developers
| of GPL-licensed software to make choices about migrating to the new
| license or contributing to a potential schism between version 2 and
| version 3 software.
`----

http://www.crn.com/software/199500038

OpenLogic survey warm on GPL 3