Will you be buying Leopard? - Linux

This is a discussion on Will you be buying Leopard? - Linux ; http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/default.stm VOTE Will you be buying Leopard? Yes - I need new spots No - I'm happy with Tiger No - Linux is my OS of choice No - I'm a Windows user Current votes: Yes - I need new ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 28

  1. Will you be buying Leopard?

    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/default.stm

    VOTE
    Will you be buying Leopard?
    Yes - I need new spots
    No - I'm happy with Tiger
    No - Linux is my OS of choice
    No - I'm a Windows user

    Current votes:

    Yes - I need new spots 22.74%
    No - I'm happy with Tiger 6.45%
    No - Linux is my OS of choice 12.59%
    No - I'm a Windows user 58.22%
    29920 Votes Cast

  2. Re: Will you be buying Leopard?

    p5000011 wrote:

    > http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/default.stm
    >
    > VOTE
    > Will you be buying Leopard?
    > Yes - I need new spots
    > No - I'm happy with Tiger
    > No - Linux is my OS of choice
    > No - I'm a Windows user
    >
    > Current votes:
    >
    > Yes - I need new spots 22.74%
    > No - I'm happy with Tiger 6.45%
    > No - Linux is my OS of choice 12.59%
    > No - I'm a Windows user 58.22%
    > 29920 Votes Cast

    Considering the BBC News site isn't aimed at specifically at computer users
    but more the general public I think the figures are probably a more
    accurate representation of general computer use. If this is the case and
    the figures are not skewed then to see Linux at over 12% is very
    encouraging.

  3. Re: Will you be buying Leopard?

    On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 12:12:27 +0000, Rich R wrote:

    > p5000011 wrote:
    >
    >> http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/default.stm
    >>
    >> VOTE
    >> Will you be buying Leopard?
    >> Yes - I need new spots
    >> No - I'm happy with Tiger
    >> No - Linux is my OS of choice
    >> No - I'm a Windows user
    >>
    >> Current votes:
    >>
    >> Yes - I need new spots 22.74%
    >> No - I'm happy with Tiger 6.45%
    >> No - Linux is my OS of choice 12.59%
    >> No - I'm a Windows user 58.22%
    >> 29920 Votes Cast

    > Considering the BBC News site isn't aimed at specifically at computer users
    > but more the general public I think the figures are probably a more
    > accurate representation of general computer use. If this is the case and
    > the figures are not skewed then to see Linux at over 12% is very
    > encouraging.

    I voted myself, just a few minutes before this was posted. For Linux, of
    course :-)

    --
    Kier

  4. Re: Will you be buying Leopard?

    ____/ p5000011 on Saturday 27 October 2007 12:51 : \____

    > http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/default.stm
    >
    > VOTE
    > Will you be buying Leopard?
    > Yes - I need new spots
    > No - I'm happy with Tiger
    > No - Linux is my OS of choice
    > No - I'm a Windows user
    >
    > Current votes:
    >
    > Yes - I need new spots 22.74%
    > No - I'm happy with Tiger 6.45%
    > No - Linux is my OS of choice 12.59%
    > No - I'm a Windows user 58.22%
    > 29920 Votes Cast

    They didn't have the Linux option until people started 'shouting' (at least in
    Digg.com).

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Useless fact: There are five regular polyhedra

  5. Re: Will you be buying Leopard?

    ____/ Kier on Saturday 27 October 2007 13:20 : \____

    > On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 12:12:27 +0000, Rich R wrote:
    >
    >> p5000011 wrote:
    >>
    >>> http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/default.stm
    >>>
    >>> VOTE
    >>> Will you be buying Leopard?
    >>> Yes - I need new spots
    >>> No - I'm happy with Tiger
    >>> No - Linux is my OS of choice
    >>> No - I'm a Windows user
    >>>
    >>> Current votes:
    >>>
    >>> Yes - I need new spots 22.74%
    >>> No - I'm happy with Tiger 6.45%
    >>> No - Linux is my OS of choice 12.59%
    >>> No - I'm a Windows user 58.22%
    >>> 29920 Votes Cast

    >> Considering the BBC News site isn't aimed at specifically at computer users
    >> but more the general public I think the figures are probably a more
    >> accurate representation of general computer use. If this is the case and
    >> the figures are not skewed then to see Linux at over 12% is very
    >> encouraging.

    > I voted myself, just a few minutes before this was posted. For Linux, of
    > course :-)

    Some people dual-boot (for the time being) and they would probably vote "Linux
    is my OS of choice". This shows the type of trend that surveys show... number
    of Linux users doubled in the past year, but solid numbers as opposed
    to /trend/ is hard to put a finger on... think of it as asking a 3-year-old
    child what temperature the bathwater is and then trying to ask "is this hotter
    and colder?"

    The latter would be easier to answer.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Useless fact: There are five regular polyhedra

  6. Re: Will you be buying Leopard?

    Rich R wrote:
    > p5000011 wrote:
    >
    >> http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/default.stm
    >>
    >> VOTE
    >> Will you be buying Leopard?
    >> Yes - I need new spots
    >> No - I'm happy with Tiger
    >> No - Linux is my OS of choice
    >> No - I'm a Windows user
    >>
    >> Current votes:
    >>
    >> Yes - I need new spots 22.74%
    >> No - I'm happy with Tiger 6.45%
    >> No - Linux is my OS of choice 12.59%
    >> No - I'm a Windows user 58.22%
    >> 29920 Votes Cast

    > Considering the BBC News site isn't aimed at specifically at computer
    > users but more the general public I think the figures are probably a
    > more accurate representation of general computer use. If this is the
    > case and the figures are not skewed then to see Linux at over 12% is
    > very encouraging.

    Ridiculous. You can vote over and over and over. So a few Linux idiots -
    from cola I'm sure - sat there for an hour clicking and clicking and
    clicking.

  7. Re: Will you be buying Leopard?

    > ____/ p5000011 on Saturday 27 October 2007 12:51 : \____
    >
    >> http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/default.stm
    >>
    >> Current votes:
    >>
    >> Yes - I need new spots 22.74%
    >> No - I'm happy with Tiger 6.45%
    >> No - Linux is my OS of choice 12.59%
    >> No - I'm a Windows user 58.22%
    >> 29920 Votes Cast

    > They didn't have the Linux option until people started 'shouting' (at least in
    > Digg.com).

    So it used to be a push poll?

    --
    Come take the Microsoft pole!
    The OW starts NOW!

  8. Re: Will you be buying Leopard?

    DFS wrote:

    > Rich R wrote:
    >> p5000011 wrote:
    >>
    >>> http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/default.stm
    >>>
    >>> VOTE
    >>> Will you be buying Leopard?
    >>> Yes - I need new spots
    >>> No - I'm happy with Tiger
    >>> No - Linux is my OS of choice
    >>> No - I'm a Windows user
    >>>
    >>> Current votes:
    >>>
    >>> Yes - I need new spots 22.74%
    >>> No - I'm happy with Tiger 6.45%
    >>> No - Linux is my OS of choice 12.59%
    >>> No - I'm a Windows user 58.22%
    >>> 29920 Votes Cast

    >> Considering the BBC News site isn't aimed at specifically at computer
    >> users but more the general public I think the figures are probably a
    >> more accurate representation of general computer use. If this is the
    >> case and the figures are not skewed then to see Linux at over 12% is
    >> very encouraging.

    > Ridiculous. You can vote over and over and over. So a few Linux idiots -
    > from cola I'm sure - sat there for an hour clicking and clicking and
    > clicking.

    So, you actually visited the site.

    It is possible to vote multiple times, as you said (I voted 4 times, so the
    results are not valid, I guess). Please explain how you did that. In
    detail. After all, you *did* vote multiple times, didn't you?

    While you're at it, explain how a few Linux idiots can out-vote millions of
    Windows idiots.

    - GG

    --
    This message brought to you by your Department of Redundancy Department

  9. Re: Will you be buying Leopard?

    On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 09:44:28 -0400, DFS wrote:

    > Rich R wrote:
    >> p5000011 wrote:
    >>
    >>> http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/default.stm
    >>>
    >>> VOTE
    >>> Will you be buying Leopard?
    >>> Yes - I need new spots
    >>> No - I'm happy with Tiger
    >>> No - Linux is my OS of choice
    >>> No - I'm a Windows user
    >>>
    >>> Current votes:
    >>>
    >>> Yes - I need new spots 22.74% No - I'm happy with Tiger
    >>> 6.45% No - Linux is my OS of choice 12.59% No - I'm a Windows user
    >>> 58.22% 29920 Votes Cast

    >> Considering the BBC News site isn't aimed at specifically at computer
    >> users but more the general public I think the figures are probably a
    >> more accurate representation of general computer use. If this is the
    >> case and the figures are not skewed then to see Linux at over 12% is
    >> very encouraging.

    > Ridiculous. You can vote over and over and over. So a few Linux idiots
    > - from cola I'm sure - sat there for an hour clicking and clicking and
    > clicking.

    Of course you would think that.

    --
    Rick

  10. Re: Will you be buying Leopard?

    DFS wrote:

    > Rich R wrote:
    >> p5000011 wrote:
    >>
    >>> http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/default.stm
    >>>
    >>> VOTE
    >>> Will you be buying Leopard?
    >>> Yes - I need new spots
    >>> No - I'm happy with Tiger
    >>> No - Linux is my OS of choice
    >>> No - I'm a Windows user
    >>>
    >>> Current votes:
    >>>
    >>> Yes - I need new spots 22.74%
    >>> No - I'm happy with Tiger 6.45%
    >>> No - Linux is my OS of choice 12.59%
    >>> No - I'm a Windows user 58.22%
    >>> 29920 Votes Cast

    >> Considering the BBC News site isn't aimed at specifically at computer
    >> users but more the general public I think the figures are probably a
    >> more accurate representation of general computer use. If this is the
    >> case and the figures are not skewed then to see Linux at over 12% is
    >> very encouraging.

    > Ridiculous. You can vote over and over and over. So a few Linux idiots -
    > from cola I'm sure - sat there for an hour clicking and clicking and
    > clicking.

    Ridiculous. You can vote over and over and over. So a few Windows idiots -
    from comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy I'm sure - sat there for an hour clicking
    and clicking and clicking.

  11. Re: Will you be buying Leopard?

    On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 09:44:28 -0400, DFS wrote:

    > Rich R wrote:
    >> p5000011 wrote:
    >>
    >>> http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/default.stm
    >>>
    >>> VOTE
    >>> Will you be buying Leopard?
    >>> Yes - I need new spots
    >>> No - I'm happy with Tiger
    >>> No - Linux is my OS of choice
    >>> No - I'm a Windows user
    >>>
    >>> Current votes:
    >>>
    >>> Yes - I need new spots 22.74%
    >>> No - I'm happy with Tiger 6.45%
    >>> No - Linux is my OS of choice 12.59%
    >>> No - I'm a Windows user 58.22%
    >>> 29920 Votes Cast

    >> Considering the BBC News site isn't aimed at specifically at computer
    >> users but more the general public I think the figures are probably a
    >> more accurate representation of general computer use. If this is the
    >> case and the figures are not skewed then to see Linux at over 12% is
    >> very encouraging.

    > Ridiculous. You can vote over and over and over. So a few Linux idiots -
    > from cola I'm sure - sat there for an hour clicking and clicking and
    > clicking.

    Don't be a ninny. I and I'm sure all the other advocates in COLA, have
    better things to do with their time.

    --
    Kier

  12. Re: Will you be buying Leopard?

    Rich R wrote:
    > DFS wrote:
    >
    >> Rich R wrote:

    >>> Considering the BBC News site isn't aimed at specifically at
    >>> computer users but more the general public I think the figures are
    >>> probably a more accurate representation of general computer use. If
    >>> this is the case and the figures are not skewed then to see Linux
    >>> at over 12% is very encouraging.

    >> Ridiculous. You can vote over and over and over. So a few Linux
    >> idiots - from cola I'm sure - sat there for an hour clicking and
    >> clicking and clicking.

    > Ridiculous. You can vote over and over and over. So a few Windows
    > idiots - from comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy I'm sure - sat there for an
    > hour clicking and clicking and clicking.

    Windows users don't have inferiority complexes, and don't feel the need to
    exaggerate Windows usage.

  13. Re: Will you be buying Leopard?

    skydweller wrote:
    > DFS wrote:
    >
    >> Rich R wrote:

    >>> Considering the BBC News site isn't aimed at specifically at
    >>> computer users but more the general public I think the figures are
    >>> probably a more accurate representation of general computer use. If
    >>> this is the case and the figures are not skewed then to see Linux
    >>> at over 12% is very encouraging.

    >> Ridiculous. You can vote over and over and over. So a few Linux
    >> idiots - from cola I'm sure - sat there for an hour clicking and
    >> clicking and clicking.

    > So, you actually visited the site.
    >
    > It is possible to vote multiple times, as you said (I voted 4 times,
    > so the results are not valid, I guess). Please explain how you did
    > that. In detail. After all, you *did* vote multiple times, didn't
    > you?

    I did, and each time I voted the number increased by 1.

    > While you're at it, explain how a few Linux idiots can out-vote
    > millions of Windows idiots.

    Easily. Windows users vote once and get on with life, while a few spastic,
    childish Linux zealots sit there for an hour, clicking and clicking and
    clicking, inflating the actual Linux usage. Nowhere else can you find
    evidence of desktop Linux usage higher than 3%, but suddenly a poll that
    lets you vote multiple times shows 12+%. Get real.

    You personally highlighted another good example (the tags on the Amazon
    Vista page) of how Linux idiots act. Notice none of the Linux pages have
    negative tags.

    Overwhelmingly, Linux lusers are spiteful little ragamuffins.

  14. Re: Will you be buying Leopard?

    DFS wrote:

    > Rich R wrote:
    >> DFS wrote:

    >>> Ridiculous. You can vote over and over and over. So a few Linux
    >>> idiots - from cola I'm sure - sat there for an hour clicking and
    >>> clicking and clicking.

    >> Ridiculous. You can vote over and over and over. So a few Windows
    >> idiots - from comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy I'm sure - sat there for an
    >> hour clicking and clicking and clicking.

    > Windows users don't have inferiority complexes, and don't feel the need to
    > exaggerate Windows usage.

    Actually, your very presence here shows that you are full of it
    --
    To start your shiny new Core II Duo in Gameboy mode just enter
    C:\win

  15. Re: Will you be buying Leopard?

    On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 10:42:25 -0400, DFS wrote:

    > Overwhelmingly, Linux lusers are spiteful little ragamuffins.

    You're the spiteful 'luser' here, not any of us. And you can't prove that
    any Linux users sat for hours clicking and clicking, so shut up.

    --
    Kier

  16. Re: Will you be buying Leopard?

    DFS wrote:

    > Rich R wrote:
    >> DFS wrote:

    >>> Ridiculous. You can vote over and over and over. So a few Linux
    >>> idiots - from cola I'm sure - sat there for an hour clicking and
    >>> clicking and clicking.

    >> Ridiculous. You can vote over and over and over. So a few Windows
    >> idiots - from comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy I'm sure - sat there for an
    >> hour clicking and clicking and clicking.

    > Windows users don't have inferiority complexes, and don't feel the need to
    > exaggerate Windows usage.

    ROFL. Oh lord I've heard it all now. Inferiority complex! Lol The fact you
    post here every day defending M$ suggests you are the one with the
    inferiority complex. Jeez!

  17. Re: Will you be buying Leopard?

    On 2007-10-27 07:51:31 -0400, p5000011 said:

    > http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/default.stm
    >
    > VOTE
    > Will you be buying Leopard?
    > Yes - I need new spots
    > No - I'm happy with Tiger
    > No - Linux is my OS of choice
    > No - I'm a Windows user
    >
    > Current votes:
    >
    > Yes - I need new spots 22.74%
    > No - I'm happy with Tiger 6.45%
    > No - Linux is my OS of choice 12.59%
    > No - I'm a Windows user 58.22%
    > 29920 Votes Cast

    On order, should be here in a few days!

  18. Re: Will you be buying Leopard?

    I wouldn't have any place to put one. The back yard isn't all that big and
    he sure as hell isn't going indoors!

  19. Re: Will you be buying Leopard?

    DFS wrote:

    > skydweller wrote:
    >> DFS wrote:

    >>> Ridiculous. You can vote over and over and over. So a few Linux
    >>> idiots - from cola I'm sure - sat there for an hour clicking and
    >>> clicking and clicking.

    >> So, you actually visited the site.
    >>
    >> It is possible to vote multiple times, as you said (I voted 4 times,
    >> so the results are not valid, I guess). Please explain how you did
    >> that. In detail. After all, you *did* vote multiple times, didn't
    >> you?

    > I did, and each time I voted the number increased by 1.

    As expected, you provided no explanation. Allow me (firefox 2.0.0.8 on
    Mandriva).

    If you do not accept cookies from the site, it is possible to vote
    repeatedly (don't know if the vote actually counts), but not to see the
    results. Once you have accepted the cookie, you can see the results after
    voting, but cannot vote again until you either remove the cookie or close
    and open your browser. You claim to have voted repeatedly AND seen the
    results each time. You may now choose one of the following:

    a) You didn't actually bother to visit the site.
    b) You knew this, and thought nobody would pick this up.

    I'll leave it to others to explore the ramifications of this. Christian
    charity prevents me from doing so.

    >> While you're at it, explain how a few Linux idiots can out-vote
    >> millions of Windows idiots.

    > Easily. Windows users vote once and get on with life, while a few
    > spastic, childish Linux zealots sit there for an hour, clicking and
    > clicking and
    > clicking, inflating the actual Linux usage. Nowhere else can you find
    > evidence of desktop Linux usage higher than 3%, but suddenly a poll that
    > lets you vote multiple times shows 12+%. Get real.
    >
    > You personally highlighted another good example (the tags on the Amazon
    > Vista page) of how Linux idiots act. Notice none of the Linux pages have
    > negative tags.

    Silly me. I actually visited a page YOU provided, and highlighted a feature
    of the page which stood in hilarious contrast to some point you were trying
    to make (if there was a point).

    > Overwhelmingly, Linux lusers are spiteful little ragamuffins.

    I may be, though I see no evidence thereof here. Shame on you for judging
    all linux users based on my alleged shortcomings. I'll try not to judge
    Windows users based on yours.

    --
    This message brought to you by your Department of Redundancy Department

  20. Re: Will you be buying Leopard?

    On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 10:30:57 -0400, DFS wrote:

    > Rich R wrote:
    >> DFS wrote:

    >>> Ridiculous. You can vote over and over and over. So a few Linux
    >>> idiots - from cola I'm sure - sat there for an hour clicking and
    >>> clicking and clicking.

    >> Ridiculous. You can vote over and over and over. So a few Windows
    >> idiots - from comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy I'm sure - sat there for an
    >> hour clicking and clicking and clicking.

    > Windows users don't have inferiority complexes, and don't feel the need
    > to exaggerate Windows usage.

    aha haah HHAH ahah AHhahaha HAHa hH Ahha hAHa ha

    --
    Rick

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast