Best Linux distro for this old obsolete hardware system is? - Linux

This is a discussion on Best Linux distro for this old obsolete hardware system is? - Linux ; [H]omer suggested Mandriva Linux 2008. I don't have time for a lot of experimental "building" of kernels--if I want to play programmer I'll do my C# stuff, which is a hobby of mine. Rather, I want a Linux distro for ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 30

  1. Best Linux distro for this old obsolete hardware system is?

    [H]omer suggested Mandriva Linux 2008. I don't have time for a lot of
    experimental "building" of kernels--if I want to play programmer I'll
    do my C# stuff, which is a hobby of mine. Rather, I want a Linux
    distro for light word processing, maybe home networking at some future
    point, standalone (no Internet access for now), preferably that fits
    on one CD-ROM that I can burn from my real system, and supports the
    following hardware:

    Pentium 2, without booting it up and from memory I think it's 100 MHz

    RAM = 512 MB I think, maybe a little less.

    No printer

    CD-ROM

    Floppy 3.5"

    keyboard, monitor (that I share with a cool AB switch with my real
    system--that's a true virtual OS for you--just toggle the button and
    you've got the other system)

    I'd like (for fun) KDE/Gnome or whatever GUI there is.

    Also suggestions for word processor, spreadsheet (OpenOffice I take
    it), and compiler for both visual and traditional C++ (compiler
    optional, since I doubt anything can surpass MSFT's Visual Studio, but
    for fun I'd like to write a Linux based program, maybe even a virus?!
    LOL, I'll be famous as the first virus writer, since according to
    Linux lore there are no viruses in Linux land).

    "Many thanks in advance" (not, since I don't trust this group of
    misfits and renegades--if you were normal you'd all be using Windows
    or Apple like normal people do).

    RL

  2. Re: Best Linux distro for this old obsolete hardware system is?

    On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 03:08:11 -0700, raylopez99 wrote:

    > [H]omer suggested Mandriva Linux 2008. I don't have time for a lot of
    > experimental "building" of kernels--if I want to play programmer I'll do
    > my C# stuff, which is a hobby of mine. Rather, I want a Linux distro
    > for light word processing, maybe home networking at some future point,
    > standalone (no Internet access for now), preferably that fits on one
    > CD-ROM that I can burn from my real system, and supports the following
    > hardware:
    >
    > Pentium 2, without booting it up and from memory I think it's 100 MHz
    >
    > RAM = 512 MB I think, maybe a little less.
    >
    > No printer
    >
    > CD-ROM
    >
    > Floppy 3.5"
    >
    > keyboard, monitor (that I share with a cool AB switch with my real
    > system--that's a true virtual OS for you--just toggle the button and
    > you've got the other system)
    >
    > I'd like (for fun) KDE/Gnome or whatever GUI there is.
    >
    > Also suggestions for word processor, spreadsheet (OpenOffice I take it),
    > and compiler for both visual and traditional C++ (compiler optional,
    > since I doubt anything can surpass MSFT's Visual Studio, but for fun I'd
    > like to write a Linux based program, maybe even a virus?! LOL, I'll be
    > famous as the first virus writer, since according to Linux lore there
    > are no viruses in Linux land).
    >
    > "Many thanks in advance" (not, since I don't trust this group of misfits
    > and renegades--if you were normal you'd all be using Windows or Apple
    > like normal people do).
    >
    > RL

    And yet you want us to help you. Pathetic.

  3. Re: Best Linux distro for this old obsolete hardware system is?

    SomeBloke wrote:

    > On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 03:08:11 -0700, raylopez99 wrote:

    > And yet you want us to help you. Pathetic.

    I wouldn't tell him the time of day.

    --
    Operating systems: FreeBSD 6.2, PC-BSD 1.4,
    Testing: FreeBSD 7.0-BETA1.5

  4. Re: Best Linux distro for this old obsolete hardware system is?

    raylopez99 did eloquently scribble:
    > Pentium 2, without booting it up and from memory I think it's 100 MHz

    Doubtful... Even the (snipped)

    > RAM = 512 MB I think, maybe a little less.

    So, (snipped)

    Other than that...

    > keyboard, monitor (that I share with a cool AB switch with my real
    > system--that's a true virtual OS for you--just toggle the button and
    > you've got the other system)

    Oh yeah, that's REAL vitualisation that is...
    Apart from the fact you have an ACTUAL rather than a VIRTUAL machine running
    it.

    > I'd like (for fun) KDE/Gnome or whatever GUI there is.

    Well you (snipped)

    > Also suggestions for word processor, spreadsheet (OpenOffice I take
    > it),

    Or (snipped)
    OR (snipped)

    > and compiler for both visual and traditional C++

    Visual C++ is a different language to C++ now?

    (compiler
    > optional, since I doubt anything can surpass MSFT's Visual Studio, but
    > for fun I'd like to write a Linux based program, maybe even a virus?!
    > LOL, I'll be famous as the first virus writer, since according to
    > Linux lore there are no viruses in Linux land).

    No, there are no viruses IN THE WILD.
    There've been a few over the past 12 years. Each time one was found to work
    however, the hole was plugged. So go ahead, you'll have a hard job getting a
    virus to do damage in linux. Doubt you could even code hello world,
    personally.

    > "Many thanks in advance" (not, since I don't trust this group of
    > misfits and renegades

    Why do you insist on being a ****witted arsehole?
    IF you ask for help we atleast expect the common courtesy not to be insulted
    in the same ****ing post...

    *all the help I included in this post duly snipped before posting*

    --if you were normal you'd all be using Windows
    > or Apple like normal people do).

    > RL

    |Andrew Halliwell BSc(hons)| |

  5. Re: Best Linux distro for this old obsolete hardware system is?

    William Poaster did eloquently scribble:
    > SomeBloke wrote:

    >> On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 03:08:11 -0700, raylopez99 wrote:

    >> And yet you want us to help you. Pathetic.

    > I wouldn't tell him the time of day.

    Oh, when people post for help, I do try to... even the wintrolls.
    Why? because other people might gain something from the post even if the
    ****wits don't.

    That post, I wrote a few things that answered his questions, got to the end,
    read the insults and then went back and replaced all the advice with
    (snipped)

    If that's the way he wants to play it, that's how he'll get responded to.
    I recommend everyone else do the same, it might really irritating him.
    Either way, fun for us.

  6. Re: Best Linux distro for this old obsolete hardware system is?

    spike1@freenet.co.uk wrote:

    > William Poaster did eloquently scribble:
    >> SomeBloke wrote:

    >>> On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 03:08:11 -0700, raylopez99 wrote:

    >>> And yet you want us to help you. Pathetic.

    >> I wouldn't tell him the time of day.

    > Oh, when people post for help, I do try to... even the wintrolls.
    > Why? because other people might gain something from the post even if the
    > ****wits don't.
    >
    > That post, I wrote a few things that answered his questions, got to the
    > end, read the insults and then went back and replaced all the advice with
    > (snipped)
    >
    > If that's the way he wants to play it, that's how he'll get responded to.
    > I recommend everyone else do the same, it might really irritating him.
    > Either way, fun for us.

    I (for one) don't see posts from googlegroups, only replies to the trolls.

    --
    Operating systems: FreeBSD 6.2, PC-BSD 1.4,
    Testing: FreeBSD 7.0-BETA1.5
    Linux systems: Debian 4.0, PCLinuxOS 2007,
    Kubuntu 7.10 "Gutsy"

  7. Re: Best Linux distro for this old obsolete hardware system is?

    On Oct 27, 5:19 am, spi...@freenet.co.uk wrote:

    With all that text you could have suggested a distro, dimwit.

    I figured this group is nothing but malcontents, and it looks like I'm
    right.

    Anybody else?

    What idiots. I guess this is the so-called "Linux Community"--waste
    of time.

    RL

  8. Re: Best Linux distro for this old obsolete hardware system is?

    raylopez99 wrote:
    > [H]omer suggested Mandriva Linux 2008.

    omer is an idiot on her best days.

    http://puppylinux.net/download/downpage.htm

  9. Re: Best Linux distro for this old obsolete hardware system is?

    raylopez99 did eloquently scribble:
    > On Oct 27, 5:19 am, spi...@freenet.co.uk wrote:

    > With all that text you could have suggested a distro, dimwit.

    > I figured this group is nothing but malcontents, and it looks like I'm
    > right.

    > Anybody else?

    > What idiots. I guess this is the so-called "Linux Community"--waste
    > of time.

    Oh, I did. I suggested several, moron.
    But as you were do discourteous I removed all advice from my post.
    It's how you want it after all. IF you actually wanted help you wouldn't
    insult the people you were asking for help FROM in the same post, now, would
    you?

    Why should you expect anyone to help you with your attitude?
    | spike1@freenet.co.uk | |

  10. Re: Best Linux distro for this old obsolete hardware system is?

    spike1@freenet.co.uk wrote:

    > raylopez99 did eloquently scribble:
    >> On Oct 27, 5:19 am, spi...@freenet.co.uk wrote:

    >> With all that text you could have suggested a distro, dimwit.

    >> I figured this group is nothing but malcontents, and it looks like I'm
    >> right.

    He's an idiot. The bum comes in here with an attitude & trolls the group,
    then is surprised when he doesn't get help. What an imbecile.

    The only malcontents are people like HIM, who have no business in this
    group.

    >> Anybody else?

    No, take a hike, numbnuts.

    >> What idiots. I guess this is the so-called "Linux Community"--waste
    >> of time.

    > Oh, I did. I suggested several, moron.
    > But as you were do discourteous I removed all advice from my post.
    > It's how you want it after all. IF you actually wanted help you wouldn't
    > insult the people you were asking for help FROM in the same post, now,
    > would you?
    >
    > Why should you expect anyone to help you with your attitude?

    Because he's not actually *after* help, he's trolling.

    --
    Operating systems: FreeBSD 6.2, PC-BSD 1.4,
    Testing: FreeBSD 7.0-BETA1.5
    Linux systems: Debian 4.0, PCLinuxOS 2007,
    Kubuntu 7.10 "Gutsy"

  11. Re: Best Linux distro for this old obsolete hardware system is?

    spike1@freenet.co.uk wrote:
    > raylopez99 did eloquently scribble:
    >> On Oct 27, 5:19 am, spi...@freenet.co.uk wrote:

    [snip]

    > Oh, I did. I suggested several, moron.
    > But as you were do discourteous I removed all advice from my post.
    > It's how you want it after all. IF you actually wanted help you wouldn't
    > insult the people you were asking for help FROM in the same post, now, would
    > you?
    >
    > Why should you expect anyone to help you with your attitude?

    No one can guess what raylopez99 expects, there just is no start to his
    abilities. Remember, raylopez99 is the same subgenius who wrote:"...but
    it's the 32 bit version of Vista that gives problems with RAM over 2
    GB--since it cannot see RAM over 2 GB."

    --
    Timo Pirinen
    pirisisi@dlc.fi

  12. Re: Best Linux distro for this old obsolete hardware system is?

    On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 03:08:11 -0700, raylopez99 wrote:

    > [H]omer suggested Mandriva Linux 2008. I don't have time for a lot of
    > experimental "building" of kernels--if I want to play programmer I'll
    > do my C# stuff, which is a hobby of mine. Rather, I want a Linux
    > distro for light word processing, maybe home networking at some future
    > point, standalone (no Internet access for now), preferably that fits
    > on one CD-ROM that I can burn from my real system, and supports the
    > following hardware:
    >
    > Pentium 2, without booting it up and from memory I think it's 100 MHz
    >
    > RAM = 512 MB I think, maybe a little less.

    I've installed Elive on a P-166 with 64mb RAM and it runs quite nicely.

    > No printer
    >
    > CD-ROM
    >
    > Floppy 3.5"
    >
    > keyboard, monitor (that I share with a cool AB switch with my real
    > system--that's a true virtual OS for you--just toggle the button and
    > you've got the other system)
    >
    > I'd like (for fun) KDE/Gnome or whatever GUI there is.
    >
    > Also suggestions for word processor, spreadsheet (OpenOffice I take
    > it), and compiler for both visual and traditional C++ (compiler
    > optional, since I doubt anything can surpass MSFT's Visual Studio, but
    > for fun I'd like to write a Linux based program, maybe even a virus?!
    > LOL, I'll be famous as the first virus writer, since according to
    > Linux lore there are no viruses in Linux land).

    What's the point in a word processor if it's a standalone with no printer?
    Abiword and Gnumeric are much 'lighter' than OpenOffice. You're right that
    Linux compilers don't surpass Visual Studio - quite the contrary, they
    actually work.

    > "Many thanks in advance" (not, since I don't trust this group of
    > misfits and renegades--if you were normal you'd all be using Windows
    > or Apple like normal people do).
    >
    > RL

    Thank God I'm not like 'normal' (read non-thinking) people.

  13. Re: Best Linux distro for this old obsolete hardware system is?

    After takin' a swig o' grog, ray belched out this bit o' wisdom:

    > On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 03:08:11 -0700, raylopez99 wrote:
    >
    >> it), and compiler for both visual and traditional C++ (compiler
    >> optional, since I doubt anything can surpass MSFT's Visual Studio...

    > What's the point in a word processor if it's a standalone with no printer?
    > Abiword and Gnumeric are much 'lighter' than OpenOffice. You're right that
    > Linux compilers don't surpass Visual Studio - quite the contrary, they
    > actually work.

    Visual Studio is an okay IDE, and pretty good for debugging. I think it
    is easier to use for debugging than the OSS debuggers I've used.

    However, unless you want to fork over an extra pile of cash for VS Team
    Solutions (I hear talk that it is powerful, if still a little
    problematic, and probably Windows only even with plugins), that's about
    all you can say about it. Linux-based IDEs are pretty powerful.

    >> "Many thanks in advance" (not, since I don't trust this group of
    >> misfits and renegades--if you were normal you'd all be using Windows
    >> or Apple like normal people do).

    > Thank God I'm not like 'normal' (read non-thinking) people.

    raylopez99 is idiocy incarnate. He's currently the most useless poster
    ever here, beating out even Oxford for lack of content.

    --
    Tux rox!

  14. Re: Best Linux distro for this old obsolete hardware system is?

    Linonut wrote:

    > raylopez99 is idiocy incarnate. He's currently the most useless
    > poster ever here, beating out even Oxford for lack of content.

    That award will forever go to 7 (unless someone even more brainless shows
    up, which is unlikely).

  15. Re: Best Linux distro for this old obsolete hardware system is?

    DFS did eloquently scribble:
    > Linonut wrote:

    >> raylopez99 is idiocy incarnate. He's currently the most useless
    >> poster ever here, beating out even Oxford for lack of content.

    > That award will forever go to 7 (unless someone even more brainless shows
    > up, which is unlikely).

    By eck, I *almost* agree with doofus.
    But if there was an international idiot award, I think it would have to be
    awarded jointly to 7 AND raylopez.

    That's as far as the agreement goes though, for Doofy and hardon would be
    joined 3rd.
    | spike1@freenet.co.uk | |

  16. Re: Best Linux distro for this old obsolete hardware system is?

    After takin' a swig o' grog, DFS belched out this bit o' wisdom:

    > Linonut wrote:
    >
    >> raylopez99 is idiocy incarnate. He's currently the most useless
    >> poster ever here, beating out even Oxford for lack of content.

    > That award will forever go to 7 (unless someone even more brainless shows
    > up, which is unlikely).

    I view 7 more as madcap comedy, myself.

    --
    Tux rox!

  17. Re: Best Linux distro for this old obsolete hardware system is?

    Linonut did eloquently scribble:
    > After takin' a swig o' grog, DFS belched out this bit o' wisdom:

    >> Linonut wrote:
    >>
    >>> raylopez99 is idiocy incarnate. He's currently the most useless
    >>> poster ever here, beating out even Oxford for lack of content.

    >> That award will forever go to 7 (unless someone even more brainless shows
    >> up, which is unlikely).

    > I view 7 more as madcap comedy, myself.

    I see him as an irritating little twat who's giving the rest of us a bad
    name.

  18. Re: Best Linux distro for this old obsolete hardware system is?

    On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 21:15:26 +0100, spike1 wrote:

    > Linonut did eloquently scribble:
    >> After takin' a swig o' grog, DFS belched out this bit o' wisdom:

    >>> That award will forever go to 7 (unless someone even more brainless shows
    >>> up, which is unlikely).

    >> I view 7 more as madcap comedy, myself.

    > I see him as an irritating little twat who's giving the rest of us a bad
    > name.

    I second that.

    --
    Kier

  19. Re: Best Linux distro for this old obsolete hardware system is?

    On Oct 27, 6:08 am, raylopez99 wrote:
    > [H]omer suggested Mandriva Linux 2008. I don't have time for a lot of
    > experimental "building" of kernels--if I want to play programmer I'll

    If Homer suggested a bloated distribution like Mandriva for an older
    machine it just goes to show that he knows little about Linux.
    Try DSL or Puppy Linux.
    As for the comments about 7, I always assumed he is brain damaged?

  20. Re: Best Linux distro for this old obsolete hardware system is?

    spike1@freenet.co.uk wrote:
    > DFS did eloquently scribble:
    >> Linonut wrote:

    >>> raylopez99 is idiocy incarnate. He's currently the most useless
    >>> poster ever here, beating out even Oxford for lack of content.

    >> That award will forever go to 7 (unless someone even more brainless
    >> shows up, which is unlikely).

    > By eck, I *almost* agree with doofus.
    > But if there was an international idiot award, I think it would have
    > to be awarded jointly to 7 AND raylopez.

    Ray's fine by me - he tells it like it is.

    7 is in a class by himself as far as uselessness: posts incoherent baby-talk
    nonsense for years on end, and slinks away when asked for proof of his
    absurd claims (ala Rex Ballard).

    > That's as far as the agreement goes though, for Doofy and hardon
    > would be joined 3rd.

    You're fairly useless as a cola poster, too. No advocacy, just hostile
    fighting with me and anyone else who doesn't agree that Linux is miraculous.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast