Oracle easy meat for Red Hat Australia

,----[ Quote ]
| He said Red Hat was currently working with a "large bank", whom he kept
| anonymous, to introduce Linux into its IT environment.

Open source and mission critical: The Linux application server landscape

,----[ Quote ]
| In 2005, Michael Dortch, executive editor and director of IT infrastructure
| management strategies at the Robert Frances Group, penned a report comparing
| Linux application server total cost of ownership (TCO) with Microsoft's
| Windows and Sun Microsystems' Solaris. In that report, Linux won handily,
| prompting Dortch to recommend that all IT managers at least give the Linux
| application server a serious look for mission-critical data center tasks. * *
| [...]
| What a lot of our clients are finding today, however, is that, with Linux and
| open source application servers, the wisdom of the crowd has solved those
| standards-based problems. And because the management tools are freely
| available and malleable, they find that the big sell was "cheap and free" but
| is now "What will complete my processes faster?" Open source used to be
| inexpensive and free, but now IT is finding value [in it] because it's more
| responsive and responsive. * * *

Forrester: Open source is everywhere, and increasingly used for
mission-critical applications

,----[ Quote ]
| Forrester just issued an insightful report on the increasing adoption
| of open source in the enterprise. The verdict? Open source is everywhere,
| and taking an ever-increasing piece of the enterprise pie

Open Source Slowly Gains Momentum on Wall Street

,----[ Quote ]
| Customers may be comfortable using Linux for infrastructure-type
| systems but less so for business software, said Monica Kumar,
| senior director of product manager for Linux and open-source
| software at Oracle.

Linux Crossing Threshold to Real Mission Critical Computing

,----[ Quote ]
| ...Linux developers are steadily chipping away at the most
| significant functional gaps that limited its suitability for
| these workloads in the past, allowing it to progress far beyond the
| "edge of network" domain where it has traditionally thrived. The
| impressive wins by Novell and Red Hat prove that user perceptions
| about Linux's limitations are gradually crumbling as well.

Linux goes to Wall Street, puts on a show

,----[ Quote ]
| "The Financial Services firms are leading the enterprise adoption of
| open source technology, including Linux," says Zachary. "By watching
| the consumption patterns of these firms, open source vendors can
| gain a good understanding of the types of products and services
| that are commercially viable.
| [...]
| "We see a growing role for open source software beyond Linux in
| financial services companies and that's why many companies are
| expanding the governance policies and procedures around using
| open source software."

Next Gen, Mission-Critical Apps To Be Deployed on Linux Says Report

,----[ Quote ]
| By now it should be obvious to even the most casual industry observers
| that Linux operating systems - and open source-based software in general -
| have reached critical marketplace mass. Recent Linux deals and
| announcements by Oracle and Microsoft have only reinforced the "open
| source is enterprise-grade" message that IBM, Unisys and other "Master
| Brand" hardware, software and services vendors have been preaching for
| years. In short, open source, especially Linux, is becoming "legitimized"
| by the major vendors for enterprise environments, and user executives
| are more than happy to believe them.

CIO study finds Linux ready for prime-time

,----[ Quote ]