[News] New Linux-based TV (Babel TV) Released - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] New Linux-based TV (Babel TV) Released - Linux ; Announcing Babel TV. A unique, simple to use device combining the benefits of Freeview TV, a personal video recorder and extremely user-friendly and safe Internet access ,----[ Quote ] | Babel TV is unique. It is a simple to use ...

  1. [News] New Linux-based TV (Babel TV) Released

    Announcing Babel TV. A unique, simple to use device combining the benefits of
    Freeview TV, a personal video recorder and extremely user-friendly and safe
    Internet access

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Babel TV is unique. It is a simple to use device that combines the benefits
    | of a Freeview “set-top-box”, personal video recorder and Internet access.
    `----

    http://www.digitaltvnews.net/content/?p=1708

  2. Re: [News] New Linux-based TV (Babel TV) Released

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    > Announcing Babel TV. A unique, simple to use device combining the benefits of
    > Freeview TV, a personal video recorder and extremely user-friendly and safe
    > Internet access
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| Babel TV is unique. It is a simple to use device that combines the benefits
    >| of a Freeview ?set-top-box?, personal video recorder and Internet access.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.digitaltvnews.net/content/?p=1708

    At 300 quid, it seems very inexpensive...

  3. Re: [News] New Linux-based TV (Babel TV) Released

    Mark Kent wrote:
    > Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    >> Announcing Babel TV. A unique, simple to use device combining the benefits of
    >> Freeview TV, a personal video recorder and extremely user-friendly and safe
    >> Internet access
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >> | Babel TV is unique. It is a simple to use device that combines the benefits
    >> | of a Freeview ?set-top-box?, personal video recorder and Internet access.
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://www.digitaltvnews.net/content/?p=1708

    > At 300 quid, it seems very inexpensive...

    Cheaper at 1/4th the price, same values, back up over a network, to any
    system you control, anywhere. hdhomerun.com

  4. Re: [News] New Linux-based TV (Babel TV) Released

    [H]omer espoused:

    >> Announcing Babel TV. A unique, simple to use device combining the
    >> benefits of Freeview TV, a personal video recorder and extremely
    >> user-friendly and safe Internet access
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >> | Babel TV is unique. It is a simple to use device that combines the
    >> | benefits of a Freeview ?set-top-box?, personal video recorder and
    >> | Internet access.
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://www.digitaltvnews.net/content/?p=1708

    > Here's the demo:
    >
    > http://www.babel.tv/demo-video.php
    >
    > What's cool about this system is that it's admin-free. You pay for admin
    > service from the provider, so you don't need to worry about updates or
    > configuration. AFAICT this is like a thin client, since apparently the
    > system starts "clean" each time you switch it on, and data is stored
    > remotely at the vendor's server. They also manage all security, so it
    > means Grandma can surf safely without being a security whiz (not that
    > she'd have much to worry about on a Linux system anyway).
    >
    > Very good. I might even get one of these for my technophobic mum.

    It's clearly built on Mythtv, which is very good anyway. As you say, a
    hosted service for non-technically-aware people is a jolly good idea.