Ubuntu Gutsy on Sony TX series (TXN19P) - Linux

This is a discussion on Ubuntu Gutsy on Sony TX series (TXN19P) - Linux ; http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/U...s-TXN19P-88694 I GOT THE SAME LAPTOP WITH XP ON IT. I CAN'T TELL FROM THE ARTICLE IF LINUX WORKS GOOD ON IT OR NOT. I'M A LITTLE WORRIED ABOUT THE LOWER BATTERY LIFE WITH LINUX BECAUSE I TRAVEL A LOT. ...

  1. Ubuntu Gutsy on Sony TX series (TXN19P)

    http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/U...s-TXN19P-88694

    I GOT THE SAME LAPTOP WITH XP ON IT. I CAN'T TELL FROM THE ARTICLE IF LINUX
    WORKS GOOD ON IT OR NOT. I'M A LITTLE WORRIED ABOUT THE LOWER BATTERY LIFE
    WITH LINUX BECAUSE I TRAVEL A LOT.

    DO YOU GUYS THINK THIS WILL WORK WELL FOR ME?

  2. Re: Ubuntu Gutsy on Sony TX series (TXN19P)

    "LENNY" wrote in message
    news:4722444e$0$14527$88260bb3@free.teranews.com.. .

    > http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/U...s-TXN19P-88694
    >
    > I GOT THE SAME LAPTOP WITH XP ON IT. I CAN'T TELL FROM THE ARTICLE IF
    > LINUX WORKS GOOD ON IT OR NOT. I'M A LITTLE WORRIED ABOUT THE LOWER
    > BATTERY LIFE WITH LINUX BECAUSE I TRAVEL A LOT.
    >
    > DO YOU GUYS THINK THIS WILL WORK WELL FOR ME?

    You should return your laptop. The key seems to be defective. But if
    you think that's borked wait until you install linux on it. The nuts here
    will tell you that it's perfect but that couldn't be further from the truth.
    The guy who wrote the article already listed a dozen things that won't work
    right. Besides that linux is so inefficient that it will suck the life out
    of your battery. The author even mentions that simply moving the mouse
    cursor causes CPU usage to jump 10%. Trying playing a mp3 file and it'll
    bury your CPU.

    Linux is worth exactly what you paid for it. Nothing.

    : KW

  3. Re: BAWAWAWA - Linux needs 10% of your CPU just to move the mouse

    "LENNY" wrote in message
    news:4722444e$0$14527$88260bb3@free.teranews.com.. .

    > http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/U...s-TXN19P-88694
    >
    > I GOT THE SAME LAPTOP WITH XP ON IT. I CAN'T TELL FROM THE ARTICLE IF
    > LINUX WORKS GOOD ON IT OR NOT. I'M A LITTLE WORRIED ABOUT THE LOWER
    > BATTERY LIFE WITH LINUX BECAUSE I TRAVEL A LOT.
    >
    > DO YOU GUYS THINK THIS WILL WORK WELL FOR ME?

    [Quote from the article]

    Conclusion:
    Although the touchpad generates a lot of interrupts, under XP this does not
    translate to much increased CPU usage, or much increased power usage.

    Under Ubuntu, moving the mouse using the touchpad took over 10% of the CPU.

  4. Re: PISTA DRAINS BATTERIES

    Micoshaft Asstroturfer LENNY wrote on behalf of Micoshaft Corporation:

    > http://www.dslreports.com/shownews

    Ubunto-Gutsy-on-Sony-TX-series-TXN19P-88694

    > I GOT THE SAME LAPTOP WITH XP ON IT. I CAN'T TELL FROM THE ARTICLE IF
    > LINUX WORKS GOOD ON IT OR NOT. I'M A LITTLE WORRIED ABOUT THE LOWER
    > BATTERY LIFE WITH LINUX BECAUSE I TRAVEL A LOT.
    >
    > DO YOU GUYS THINK THIS WILL WORK WELL FOR ME?

    Micoshaft corporation's pista drains more batteries more
    quickly and runs slower.

  5. Re: Ubuntu Gutsy on Sony TX series (TXN19P)

    LENNY wrote:

    http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/U...s-TXN19P-88694

    > I GOT THE SAME LAPTOP WITH XP ON IT. I CAN'T TELL FROM THE ARTICLE IF
    > LINUX WORKS GOOD ON IT OR NOT. I'M A LITTLE WORRIED ABOUT THE LOWER
    > BATTERY LIFE WITH LINUX BECAUSE I TRAVEL A LOT.
    >
    > DO YOU GUYS THINK THIS WILL WORK WELL FOR ME?

    Nice article... goes into some serious setup details. The one that caught my
    eye was this:

    1. echo 1500 > /proc/sys/vm/dirty_writeback_centisecs
    2. iwpriv eth1 set_power 2
    3. hciconfig hci0 down && rmmod hci_usb
    4. echo 5 > /proc/sys/vm/laptop_mode
    5. echo
    performance> /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor
    6. echo 1500 > /proc/sys/vm/dirty_writeback_centisecs
    7. echo 3 > /sys/class/backlight/sony/brightness
    8. #
    9. ethtool -s eth0 wol d
    10. #
    11. hdparm -B 1 -S 35 /dev/sda
    12. echo 0 > /sys/devices/platform/sony-laptop/bluetoothpower
    13. #echo 0 > /sys/devices/platform/sony-laptop/cdpower
    14. echo 0 > /sys/devices/platform/sony-laptop/fanspeed
    15. hal-disable-polling --device /dev/scd0
    16. xset s 120 120

    Under his title "Using powertop and maximising battery life" at the line
    numbered "5" he sets up the scaling_governor with "performance". Surely
    this is a misstake? That forces the laptop to CONSTANTLY run at maximum cpu
    frequency...EVEN if it's doing nothing. What the idiot should have done was
    used the "ondemand" governor. Which cuts the processor frequency to the
    minimu when doing nothing and scaling up as the user load builds.

    Does wonders for my COMPAQ PRESARIO R3000.

    That one error is his setup, makes the whole linux evaluation suspect. It's
    like claiming you tuned your car for maximum gas milage, but the whole
    time the accelerator pedal is strapped down to the floorboard. Stupid...
    and then have the audacity to complain about it!!

    Personally, I think this would be a good move. Anytime you trade windows for
    something else, you win. Imagine... no more defrag, virus check, reboot
    after every single update, etc. Not to mention the hundreds of free
    applications...

    --

    Jerry McBride

  6. Re: Ubuntu Gutsy on Sony TX series (TXN19P)

    [H]omer wrote:

    > Verily I say unto thee, that Jerry McBride spake thusly:
    >
    >> Nice article... goes into some serious setup details. The one that caught
    >> my eye was this:

    > [snip power saving tips]
    >
    > On the subject of power saving...
    >
    > I just discovered a way to finally get hibernate to work on my laptop
    > with the kernel update that I've been holding off (2.6.22 series).
    >
    > free | grep Swap | sed 's/Swap: *//' | \
    > cut -d' ' -f1 >/sys/power/image_size

    Nice one... Thanks.

    --

    Jerry McBride

  7. Re: Ubuntu Gutsy on Sony TX series (TXN19P)

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Jerry McBride

    wrote
    on Fri, 26 Oct 2007 17:40:39 -0400
    :

    [snippage for brevity]

    > Personally, I think this would be a good move. Anytime you trade windows for
    > something else, you win. Imagine... no more defrag, virus check, reboot
    > after every single update, etc. Not to mention the hundreds of free
    > applications...

    Hundreds? The number of '*.ebuild' entries in my Gentoo
    Portage tree numbers in the tens of thousands last
    I looked. Granted, each of those is a version, not a
    separate application.

    $ find /usr/portage -name '*.ebuild' | wc -l
    24742
    $

    It's a lot.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Useless C/C++ Programming Idea #1123133:
    void f(FILE * fptr, char *p) { fgets(p, sizeof(p), fptr); }

  8. Re: Ubuntu Gutsy on Sony TX series (TXN19P)

    The Ghost In The Machine wrote:

    > In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Jerry McBride
    >
    > wrote
    > on Fri, 26 Oct 2007 17:40:39 -0400
    > :
    >
    > [snippage for brevity]
    >
    >> Personally, I think this would be a good move. Anytime you trade windows
    >> for something else, you win. Imagine... no more defrag, virus check,
    >> reboot after every single update, etc. Not to mention the hundreds of
    >> free applications...

    > Hundreds? The number of '*.ebuild' entries in my Gentoo
    > Portage tree numbers in the tens of thousands last
    > I looked. Granted, each of those is a version, not a
    > separate application.
    >
    > $ find /usr/portage -name '*.ebuild' | wc -l
    > 24742
    > $
    >
    > It's a lot.

    True enough... But... in my humble defense, hundreds means multiple
    hundreds... easily reaching into the thousands.

    Cheers.

    --

    Jerry McBride

  9. Re: Ubuntu Gutsy on Sony TX series (TXN19P)

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Jerry McBride

    wrote
    on Fri, 26 Oct 2007 22:32:24 -0400
    :
    > The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    >
    >> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Jerry McBride
    >>
    >> wrote
    >> on Fri, 26 Oct 2007 17:40:39 -0400
    >> :
    >>
    >> [snippage for brevity]
    >>
    >>> Personally, I think this would be a good move. Anytime you trade windows
    >>> for something else, you win. Imagine... no more defrag, virus check,
    >>> reboot after every single update, etc. Not to mention the hundreds of
    >>> free applications...

    >> Hundreds? The number of '*.ebuild' entries in my Gentoo
    >> Portage tree numbers in the tens of thousands last
    >> I looked. Granted, each of those is a version, not a
    >> separate application.
    >>
    >> $ find /usr/portage -name '*.ebuild' | wc -l
    >> 24742
    >> $
    >>
    >> It's a lot.
    >>

    > True enough... But... in my humble defense, hundreds means multiple
    > hundreds... easily reaching into the thousands.
    >
    > Cheers.

    Nice save. :-) Still, I think any piece of code worth
    porting will eventually end up on both Windows and Linux --
    and generally work more reliably on Linux.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Windows Vista. Because it's time to refresh your hardware. Trust us.

  10. Re: BAWAWAWA - Linux needs 10% of your CPU just to move the mouse

    On Oct 26, 4:54 pm, "Keith Windsor" wrote:
    > "LENNY" wrote in message
    > news:4722444e$0$14527$88260bb3@free.teranews.com.. .
    > >http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/U...-TX-series-TXN...

    > > I GOT THE SAME LAPTOP WITH XP ON IT. I CAN'T TELL FROM THE ARTICLE IF
    > > LINUX WORKS GOOD ON IT OR NOT. I'M A LITTLE WORRIED ABOUT THE LOWER
    > > BATTERY LIFE WITH LINUX BECAUSE I TRAVEL A LOT.

    The battery life shouldn't be too much of a problem. According to the
    article, the laptop consumes 15% more power in full idle when running
    Linux than it does when running Windows. Given that most sleeping
    Windows machines can sit in standby mode for several hours, even a
    full day - I wouldn't get terribly freaked about it.

    If you are doing long flights, you might want to get an external
    battery. APC makes one for about $80 that can run a T40 for 8 hours
    on a single charge.

    > > DO YOU GUYS THINK THIS WILL WORK WELL FOR ME?

    It looks pretty good to me. I liked that the WiFi worked better on
    Linux than for Windows XP. It doesn't look like there is a 3D OpenGL
    (GLX or XGL) accelerator option though.

    > [Quote from the article]
    >
    > Under Ubuntu, moving the mouse using the touchpad took over 10% of the CPU.

    This may be a function of how idle time is measured, and how display
    time is accounted for.

    On Windows, Idle time is measured by running The System Idle process
    and comparing it with other running processes. The GDI and other
    display functions are kernel functions and excluded from the total.

    On Linux, the kernel measures the idle time as those times when there
    was literally nothing to do. Furthermore, the X11 display and several
    other applications waiting for interrupts are running as application
    processes which are always guaranteed at least some run time and can
    be triggered by any related interrupt such as h-sync interrupts (used
    to sync X-server displays in 3D animations)..

    If the Video card supports Direct X, it will probably perform better
    on XP. If it supports OpenGL, it will probably run better on Linux.
    If it supports Neither, then 2D will run better on Linux and 3D will
    probably run better on Windows.

    It was amusing that your link featured 4 links to ways to "Fix your
    XP", one for fixing the USB driver (had that problem for 4 years - USB
    2 port would only function as USB 1.1 port),
    Fix Boot failures (nice to have with you at all times - never know
    when a virus or Microsoft security patch might render your PC
    unbootable). And something to fix out of date drivers for XP, another
    one that is a "must have". I wonder how much the set would cost -
    they don't spell the costs out up front, and I'm not interested in
    digging for it.

  11. Re: Ubuntu Gutsy on Sony TX series (TXN19P)

    Keith Windsor AKA LENNY, 1st Lt Jean Poole, Adam Baum, Barb
    Dwyer, Capt. James Pike, Capt. Morgan, Captain Commando, Colonel
    Ichabod Conk, Cpl. Kronk, Dr Gang Green, Dr. Disco, Dr.
    Fafoofnik, Dr. Feelgood, Dr. GroundAxe, Dr. Hungwell, Dr. Hurt,
    Dr. Livingston, Dr. McGillicudy, Dr. Pain, Dr. Seymour Butts, Dr.
    Shlongwell, Dr. Shlongwell (aka your Boss), Dr. Smooth, Dr.
    Zhivago, Geppetto Olivio, Gordon Glover, Lintard Luser, Lt.
    Stardust, nym-thief imposter of Mindy Cohen, Mr. Doug Hoel, Mr.
    X, Ms. Polly Ester, Ofc. Michael Clayton, rafael (note the
    nym-thief couldn't even leave poor Rafael alone), Randy Oaks,
    Sgt. Wannacker, SgtMajor Gansevoort, nym-thief imposter of
    Sinister Midget, Sophie McDowell, Simon Templar, Sue Romer, Sir
    Michael Clayton, Warren Piece and Zumwalt Humphry. wrote:
    > LENNY wrote...
    >
    >> http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/U...s-TXN19P-88694
    >>
    >> I GOT THE SAME LAPTOP WITH XP ON IT. I CAN'T TELL FROM THE
    >> ARTICLE IF LINUX WORKS GOOD ON IT OR NOT. I'M A LITTLE
    >> WORRIED ABOUT THE LOWER BATTERY LIFE WITH LINUX BECAUSE I
    >> TRAVEL A LOT.
    >>
    >> DO YOU GUYS THINK THIS WILL WORK WELL FOR ME?

    > You should return your laptop. The key seems to be
    > defective. But if you think that's borked wait until you
    > install linux on it. The nuts here will tell you that it's
    > perfect but that couldn't be further from the truth. The guy
    > who wrote the article already listed a dozen things that won't
    > work right. Besides that linux is so inefficient that it will
    > suck the life out of your battery. The author even mentions
    > that simply moving the mouse cursor causes CPU usage to jump
    > 10%. Trying playing a mp3 file and it'll bury your CPU.
    >
    > Linux is worth exactly what you paid for it. Nothing.

    Article states,

    At first I thought that Ubuntu was much slower than windows on
    booting up but impressions can be deceiving. Windows does a good
    job of showing you your desktop as fast as it can but you can't
    actually use it for a fair bit longer, and launching firefox asap
    incurs a huge delay, evidently because certain services are still
    being started up in the background.

    This XP install is fairly vanilla. No AV software or anything
    expensive put into auto-startup. Most of the stuff Sony threw in
    was removed or disabled.

    Ubuntu is up and multi-user earlier than XP, at about the 25
    second mark after grub kicks it off, but takes longer to give you
    a fully functional desktop. Once the desktop appears, however,
    the machine is pretty much devoted to your needs so it is able to
    start firefox in just 5 seconds or so.

    In both XP and Ubuntu, the wifi network is up and available
    before you are able to use it.
    --
    HPT

+ Reply to Thread