OLPC delayed yet again (This thing does exist, right?) - Linux

This is a discussion on OLPC delayed yet again (This thing does exist, right?) - Linux ; http://www.pocket-lint.co.uk/news/ne...et-again.phtml 26 October 2007 11:22 GMT - It has been announced that the One Laptop Per Child has been delayed again. The low cost hardware suffered delays earlier this year at the same time it was announced that the "$100" ...

  1. OLPC delayed yet again (This thing does exist, right?)

    http://www.pocket-lint.co.uk/news/ne...et-again.phtml

    26 October 2007 11:22 GMT - It has been announced that the One Laptop Per
    Child has been delayed again.

    The low cost hardware suffered delays earlier this year at the same time it
    was announced that the "$100" laptop would in fact cost $188.

    Due for launch on 12th November, the latest problems to affect the timescale
    are being blamed on "last-minute bugs" in the Chinese manufacturing process.

  2. Re: OLPC delayed yet again (This thing does exist, right?)

    On Fri, 26 Oct 2007 10:29:54 -0400, Keith Windsor wrote:

    > http://www.pocket-lint.co.uk/news/ne...OLPC-hardware-

    delayed-yet-again.phtml

    > 26 October 2007 11:22 GMT - It has been announced that the One Laptop
    > Per Child has been delayed again.
    >
    > The low cost hardware suffered delays earlier this year at the same time
    > it was announced that the "$100" laptop would in fact cost $188.
    >
    > Due for launch on 12th November, the latest problems to affect the
    > timescale are being blamed on "last-minute bugs" in the Chinese
    > manufacturing process.

    Why do you care?

    --
    Rick

  3. Re: OLPC delayed yet again (This thing does exist, right?)

    "Rick" wrote in message
    > On Fri, 26 Oct 2007 10:29:54 -0400, Keith Windsor wrote:
    >
    >> http://www.pocket-lint.co.uk/news/ne...OLPC-hardware-

    > delayed-yet-again.phtml
    >>

    >> 26 October 2007 11:22 GMT - It has been announced that the One Laptop
    >> Per Child has been delayed again.
    >>
    >> The low cost hardware suffered delays earlier this year at the same time
    >> it was announced that the "$100" laptop would in fact cost $188.
    >>
    >> Due for launch on 12th November, the latest problems to affect the
    >> timescale are being blamed on "last-minute bugs" in the Chinese
    >> manufacturing process.

    > Why do you care?

    I was going to buy one as a gag joke. They're great for practical jokes. The
    person getting one thinks they're getting a real computer. Then the look on
    their face is priceless when they figure out they got a useless POS that you
    have to crank up to use or connect to some treadmill that's powered by cows.

  4. Re: OLPC delayed yet again (This thing does exist, right?)

    On Fri, 26 Oct 2007 16:34:28 -0400, Keith Windsor wrote:

    > "Rick" wrote in message
    >> On Fri, 26 Oct 2007 10:29:54 -0400, Keith Windsor wrote:
    >>
    >>> http://www.pocket-lint.co.uk/news/ne...46/11970/OLPC-

    hardware-
    >> delayed-yet-again.phtml
    >>>

    >>> 26 October 2007 11:22 GMT - It has been announced that the One Laptop
    >>> Per Child has been delayed again.
    >>>
    >>> The low cost hardware suffered delays earlier this year at the same
    >>> time it was announced that the "$100" laptop would in fact cost $188.
    >>>
    >>> Due for launch on 12th November, the latest problems to affect the
    >>> timescale are being blamed on "last-minute bugs" in the Chinese
    >>> manufacturing process.

    >> Why do you care?

    > I was going to buy one as a gag joke. They're great for practical jokes.
    > The person getting one thinks they're getting a real computer. Then the
    > look on their face is priceless when they figure out they got a useless
    > POS that you have to crank up to use or connect to some treadmill that's
    > powered by cows.

    .... and why do you think you have any credibility?

    --
    Rick

  5. Re: OLPC delayed yet again (This thing does exist, right?)

    On Fri, 26 Oct 2007 16:34:28 -0400, Keith Windsor wrote:

    > "Rick" wrote in message

    >> Why do you care?

    > I was going to buy one as a gag joke. They're great for practical jokes. The
    > person getting one thinks they're getting a real computer. Then the look on
    > their face is priceless when they figure out they got a useless POS that you
    > have to crank up to use or connect to some treadmill that's powered by cows.

    Good luck using your fancy expensive laptop out in the villages of Africa
    where electricity is a luxury.. ANd in the future, when demands for power
    exceed supply in your country (and yes, it will happen), the owners of the
    OLPC will be happily continuing to use their machines while yours remains
    a doorstop.

    --
    Kier

  6. Re: OLPC delayed yet again (This thing does exist, right?)

    Keith Windsor wrote:

    > "Rick" wrote in message
    >> On Fri, 26 Oct 2007 10:29:54 -0400, Keith Windsor wrote:
    >>
    >>> http://www.pocket-lint.co.uk/news/ne...OLPC-hardware-

    >> delayed-yet-again.phtml
    >>>

    >>> 26 October 2007 11:22 GMT - It has been announced that the One Laptop
    >>> Per Child has been delayed again.
    >>>
    >>> The low cost hardware suffered delays earlier this year at the same time
    >>> it was announced that the "$100" laptop would in fact cost $188.
    >>>
    >>> Due for launch on 12th November, the latest problems to affect the
    >>> timescale are being blamed on "last-minute bugs" in the Chinese
    >>> manufacturing process.

    >> Why do you care?

    > I was going to buy one as a gag joke. They're great for practical jokes.
    > The person getting one thinks they're getting a real computer. Then the
    > look on their face is priceless when they figure out they got a useless
    > POS that you have to crank up to use or connect to some treadmill that's
    > powered by cows.

    You must work for Microsoft. You sound just like their press releases...
    full of FUD, lies and just negative bull****...

    Why would you be posting in a Linux news group? Hmmm... oh yeah, I forgot...
    window sux and you are trying to make it better looking by bashing linux...

    It ain't working...

    --

    Jerry McBride

  7. Re: OLPC delayed yet again (This thing does exist, right?)

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Keith Windsor

    wrote
    <4722436f$0$26365$88260bb3@free.teranews.com>:

    > "Rick" wrote in message
    >> On Fri, 26 Oct 2007 10:29:54 -0400, Keith Windsor wrote:
    >>
    >>> http://www.pocket-lint.co.uk/news/ne...OLPC-hardware-

    >> delayed-yet-again.phtml
    >>>

    >>> 26 October 2007 11:22 GMT - It has been announced that the One Laptop
    >>> Per Child has been delayed again.
    >>>
    >>> The low cost hardware suffered delays earlier this year at the same time
    >>> it was announced that the "$100" laptop would in fact cost $188.
    >>>
    >>> Due for launch on 12th November, the latest problems to affect the
    >>> timescale are being blamed on "last-minute bugs" in the Chinese
    >>> manufacturing process.

    >> Why do you care?

    > I was going to buy one as a gag joke. They're great for practical jokes. The
    > person getting one thinks they're getting a real computer. Then the look on
    > their face is priceless when they figure out they got a useless POS that you
    > have to crank up to use or connect to some treadmill that's powered by cows.

    It might be of some interest to contemplate the amount of
    "leg time" on a bicycle generator to keep the typical
    low-end PC running. Part of the problem is simply that
    most PC power supplies stipulate *maximum*, not typical,
    power, if they specify power at all (last I looked the
    newer ones only give voltages and maximum currents, and
    the amount of energy depends on usage patterns). However,
    Google is helpful in pointing out that

    3000 kcal/day = 145.3 watts

    and 3000 kcal/day is about the amount of energy consumed
    (as measured food wise) by a healthy active young man.

    There are also Carnot issues, if one wants to get into
    thermodynamics; bike pedaling generates heat, and sweat
    removes the heat by evaporating -- if it can evaporate.
    Therefore, we're Carnot engines and subject to efficiency
    issues.

    Also, the elephant in particular has about a 40% efficiency
    in absorbing energy from what it eats (it's herbivorous);
    the rest comes out the other end as a rather high-quality
    product usable in the garden -- or at least so I'm told.
    Granted, we're (a) omnivorous, and (b) quite differently
    structured (for starters, we're smaller and our gut is
    shorter).

    I therefore don't know how 3000 kcal/day translates into
    actual sustained biomechanical energy, or ultimately
    into electrical energy for powering a desktop. I might
    have a fighting chance if I go to websites describing the
    rather grueling bikeride known as the Tour de France --
    and they consume rather more than 3000 kcal/day during
    that bikeride, and only after after months of endurance
    training.

    Of course I'd be surprised if it didn't have a
    jack for a standard "battery eliminator" power unit.
    http://wiki.laptop.org/index.php/Hardware_specification
    does suggest a 6mm (1.65mm center pin) power connector,
    which is presumably pretty standard for US laptops.
    There is also a provision for a battery, which might last
    about 60-90 minutes given the specs here after a full
    charge -- and probably would last longer since that 15
    watts is again a maximum.

    You're right in that it won't be a speed demon (it has a
    800 MHz processor at most), and it certainly won't run Aero.
    But then, neither can many older-model basic Intel desktops.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Been there, done that, didn't get the T-shirt.