Another nail in the desktop linux coffin - Linux

This is a discussion on Another nail in the desktop linux coffin - Linux ; Most people want Windows. For those who want an alternative there's an add-kickin update to OS/X available today. http://www.apple.com/macosx/ Once again, Microsoft and Apple continue to eat linux's lunch. Poor linux gets the few crumbs that fell on the floor. ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 26

  1. Another nail in the desktop linux coffin

    Most people want Windows. For those who want an alternative there's an
    add-kickin update to OS/X available today.

    http://www.apple.com/macosx/

    Once again, Microsoft and Apple continue to eat linux's lunch. Poor linux
    gets the few crumbs that fell on the floor.

  2. Re: Another nail in the desktop linux coffin

    On Fri, 26 Oct 2007 10:10:56 -0400, Keith Windsor wrote:

    >Most people want Windows. For those who want an alternative there's an
    >add-kickin update to OS/X available today.

    And all you have to do is pay thousands extra for your computer hardware
    and thousands extra for all your applications.

    Send me four grand and I'll check it out for you.

  3. Re: Another nail in the desktop linux coffin

    "AZ Nomad" wrote in message
    > On Fri, 26 Oct 2007 10:10:56 -0400, Keith Windsor
    > wrote:
    >

    >>Most people want Windows. For those who want an alternative there's an
    >>add-kickin update to OS/X available today.

    > And all you have to do is pay thousands extra for your computer hardware

    Thousands more for the hardware??? In in the mind of a "linux advocate"

    > and thousands extra for all your applications.

    And thousands extra for all the apps??? "Unbelieavable"

    > Send me four grand and I'll check it out for you.

    No need. Just ask the MILLIONS of people who bought a new Mac in the past 3
    months.

  4. Re: Another nail in the desktop linux coffin

    On Fri, 26 Oct 2007 10:52:16 -0400, Keith Windsor wrote:

    >"AZ Nomad" wrote in message
    >> On Fri, 26 Oct 2007 10:10:56 -0400, Keith Windsor
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >>>Most people want Windows. For those who want an alternative there's an
    >>>add-kickin update to OS/X available today.

    >> And all you have to do is pay thousands extra for your computer hardware

    >Thousands more for the hardware??? In in the mind of a "linux advocate"

    >> and thousands extra for all your applications.

    >And thousands extra for all the apps??? "Unbelieavable"

    You use open source apps with OS/X? Why bother with OS/X then?

    >> Send me four grand and I'll check it out for you.

    >No need. Just ask the MILLIONS of people who bought a new Mac in the past 3
    >months.

    suckers.

  5. Re: Another nail in the desktop linux coffin

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Keith Windsor belched out this bit o' wisdom:

    > Most people want Windows. For those who want an alternative there's an
    > add-kickin update to OS/X available today.
    >
    > http://www.apple.com/macosx/
    >
    > Once again, Microsoft and Apple continue to eat linux's lunch. Poor linux
    > gets the few crumbs that fell on the floor.

    0 Troll-o-meter 10
    ^

    On my end, this is the reading:

    http://www.kevinbloodywilson.com/sit...****ometer.gif

    --
    Tux rox!

  6. Re: Another nail in the desktop linux coffin

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Keith Windsor belched out this bit o' wisdom:

    >> Send me four grand and I'll check it out for you.

    > No need. Just ask the MILLIONS of people who bought a new Mac in the past 3
    > months.

    I'd rather ask the MILLIONS who installed Linux in the past 3 months.

    Except, of course, I don't have the resources of Nielson to poll
    MILLIONS of people.

    --
    Tux rox!

  7. Re: Another nail in the desktop linux coffin

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Keith Windsor

    wrote
    <4721e98b$0$26400$88260bb3@free.teranews.com>:
    > Most people want Windows. For those who want an
    > alternative there's an add-kickin update to OS/X
    > available today.
    >
    > http://www.apple.com/macosx/
    >
    > Once again, Microsoft and Apple continue to eat
    > linux's lunch. Poor linux gets the few crumbs
    > that fell on the floor.

    It would be nice if you were to attempt to point an
    appendage at something that actually starts to approximate
    a remote resemblance to a reputable customer survey...

    All this page does is point out that there are 7 more
    shopping days until the new release.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Useless C/C++ Programming Idea #40490127:
    for(; ;

  8. Re: Another nail in the desktop linux coffin

    > In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Keith Windsor
    >
    > wrote
    > on Fri, 26 Oct 2007 10:10:56 -0400
    > <4721e98b$0$26400$88260bb3@free.teranews.com>:
    >> Most people want Windows. For those who want an
    >> alternative there's an add-kickin update to OS/X
    >> available today.
    >>
    >> http://www.apple.com/macosx/
    >>
    >> Once again, Microsoft and Apple continue to eat
    >> linux's lunch. Poor linux gets the few crumbs
    >> that fell on the floor.
    >>

    > It would be nice if you were to attempt to point an
    > appendage at something that actually starts to approximate
    > a remote resemblance to a reputable customer survey...
    >
    > All this page does is point out that there are 7 more
    > shopping days until the new release.

    Actually the new release (Leopard) is available today. There's a new CD
    about 3 feet away from me. The front has a black "X" with a hologram of a
    galaxy or something on it. The back has a smaller X in the middle with 5
    holograms surrounding it. The top hollogram is "Finder" followed
    (clock-wise) by "Time Machine", "iChat", "Mail" and "Spaces."

  9. Re: Another nail in the desktop linux coffin

    Keith Windsor had de volgende lumineuze gedachte op 26-10-07 16:10:

    > Most people want Windows.

    I don't believe people want Windows, they don't want to be locked out
    and unable to communicate easily with others. Microsoft harvests the
    fruits of its lock-in policy.

    Windows is most insecure, and becoming more and more expensive in the
    course of years. The Windows license is becoming more and more
    expensive, the costs of anti-virus and anti-spyware subscriptions raise
    more and more, while the war against all malware is essentially lost.
    Hundreds of malware variants are released every week (according to
    Secunia). Windows is essentially defenceless against rootkits.

    Windows needs a lot of maintenance and a periodic clean re-installation,
    which means a lot of time lost and sometimes data.

    Microsoft's Vista is not more secure than XP. It may be true that of all
    malware that can infect an XP installation only 40% can infect a Vista
    installation, but this does not make a difference. A kind of natural
    selection will cause that this 40% will become 100%.

    Microsoft leaves bugs and removes beloved features in its "upgrades",
    and corrects some bugs only in new versions for which we must pay again.

    We all hate this. We may use Windows and/or MSOffice and other MS
    programs, but we hate Microsoft for its arrogance, sloppy programming
    and neglect of users' wishes.

    Microsoft will harvest the fruits of this policies and arrogance. It has
    begun already. Roy Schestowitz informs us almost daily about
    corporations or institutions that go over to the use of Linux, on
    servers and on desktops. With about 600,000,000 computers on Windows a
    few thousands or hundreds of computers that go over to Linux, is almost
    invisible. It will not make a dent in MS's earnings. It will take years
    and years before the change will become noticeable or relevant to MS's
    stockholders. This does not matter. MS will harvest what it has sown.

    In the mean time, the Linux users, the smallest of computer minorities,
    will continue to enjoy the freedom and better quality of software, will
    support the people who build the distributions out of gratitude, and
    leave Microsoft to its own devices, knowing that the day will come that
    even the people at Microsoft will see that a change of course is their
    only way out.

    Erik Jan

  10. Re: Another nail in the desktop linux coffin

    Keith Windsor wrote:
    > Most people want Windows.

    No, most people want what everyone else has.

    > For those who want an alternative there's an
    > add-kickin update to OS/X available today.
    >
    > http://www.apple.com/macosx/
    >
    > Once again, Microsoft and Apple continue to eat linux's lunch. Poor linux
    > gets the few crumbs that fell on the floor.

    Don't you wish you had some little bit of credibility?

  11. Re: Another nail in the desktop linux coffin

    "Erik Jan" wrote in message
    news:47223492$0$746$3a628fcd@textreader.nntp.hccne t.nl...
    > Keith Windsor had de volgende lumineuze gedachte op 26-10-07 16:10:
    >
    >> Most people want Windows.

    > I don't believe people want Windows, they don't want to be locked out and
    > unable to communicate easily with others. Microsoft harvests the fruits of
    > its lock-in policy.

    Of course they want Windows. Picking linux would effectively 'lock people
    out' because their applications and documents would NOT be fully compatible
    with what their friends, neighbors and co-workers are using. For better or
    worse, Windows is the de-facto computing standard and is what most people
    use. Picking an odd-ball OS would make them in-compatible with the rest of
    the world.

    > Windows is most insecure, and becoming more and more expensive in the
    > course of years. The Windows license is becoming more and more expensive,
    > the costs of anti-virus and anti-spyware subscriptions raise more and
    > more, while the war against all malware is essentially lost. Hundreds of
    > malware variants are released every week (according to Secunia). Windows
    > is essentially defenceless against rootkits.

    That's funny because I've never been rooted. It's not that Windows is
    insecure it's the millions of people who run as Administrator.

    More bull****. I've never re-installed Windows.

    > Microsoft's Vista is not more secure than XP. It may be true that of all
    > malware that can infect an XP installation only 40% can infect a Vista
    > installation, but this does not make a difference. A kind of natural
    > selection will cause that this 40% will become 100%.

    Do you have any more random stats that you'd like to pull out of your ass?

    > Microsoft leaves bugs and removes beloved features in its "upgrades", and
    > corrects some bugs only in new versions for which we must pay again.

    And you know this because you work at Microsoft and know what they do or are
    you simply making up bull**** and posting it.

    > We all hate this. We may use Windows and/or MSOffice and other MS
    > programs, but we hate Microsoft for its arrogance, sloppy programming and
    > neglect of users' wishes.

    "We all hate this..." - So you speak for everybody? It seems that all of
    this hate added up to billions and billions and billions in sales in just
    the past 3 months.

    > Microsoft will harvest the fruits of this policies and arrogance. It has
    > begun already.

    Really. Is the 27% increase in the already huge profits the proof that it
    has begun?

    > Roy Schestowitz informs us almost daily about corporations or institutions
    > that go over to the use of Linux,

    Roy Schestowitz is a pathetic child who twists stories and headlines into
    false and misleading lines. The only people more pathetic than scum like Roy
    Schestowitz are the losers like you who actually believe his **** without
    the brains or courage to think for yourself and see what's REALLY happening
    out there in the world.

    > servers and on desktops. With about 600,000,000 computers on Windows a few
    > thousands or hundreds of computers that go over to Linux, is almost
    > invisible. It will not make a dent in MS's earnings. It will take years
    > and years before the change will become noticeable or relevant to MS's
    > stockholders. This does not matter. MS will harvest what it has sown.

    Blah... blah... blah. For years and years your COLA idiots have been
    proclaiming the collapse of Microsoft. Go back and see the incredibly stupid
    posts back when Win2k and XP shipped. Here we are years later and nothing
    has changed except for the fact that Microsoft is now much larger, richer
    and more powerful than ever.

    > In the mean time, the Linux users, the smallest of computer minorities,
    > will continue to enjoy the freedom and better quality of software, will
    > support the people who build the distributions out of gratitude, and leave
    > Microsoft to its own devices, knowing that the day will come that even the
    > people at Microsoft will see that a change of course is their only way
    > out.

    Knowing the day will come. "Next year will be the year for linux." (Make
    sure you repeat this every year.)

    > Erik Jan

  12. Re: Another nail in the desktop linux coffin

    Erik Jan did eloquently scribble:
    > Keith Windsor had de volgende lumineuze gedachte op 26-10-07 16:10:

    >> Most people want Windows.

    > I don't believe people want Windows, they don't want to be locked out
    > and unable to communicate easily with others. Microsoft harvests the
    > fruits of its lock-in policy.

    Worse than that, I was just talking to someone on the street and the
    conversation turned to computers. They're the type of people who thought
    computers ARE microsoft.

    | spike1@freenet.co.uk | |

  13. Re: Another nail in the desktop linux coffin

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Keith Windsor

    wrote
    on Fri, 26 Oct 2007 14:15:05 -0400
    <472222c4$0$26381$88260bb3@free.teranews.com>:

    > "The Ghost In The Machine" wrote in message
    >> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Keith Windsor
    >>
    >> wrote
    >> on Fri, 26 Oct 2007 10:10:56 -0400
    >> <4721e98b$0$26400$88260bb3@free.teranews.com>:
    >>> Most people want Windows. For those who want an
    >>> alternative there's an add-kickin update to OS/X
    >>> available today.
    >>>
    >>> http://www.apple.com/macosx/
    >>>
    >>> Once again, Microsoft and Apple continue to eat
    >>> linux's lunch. Poor linux gets the few crumbs
    >>> that fell on the floor.
    >>>

    >> It would be nice if you were to attempt to point an
    >> appendage at something that actually starts to approximate
    >> a remote resemblance to a reputable customer survey...
    >>
    >> All this page does is point out that there are 7 more
    >> shopping days until the new release.

    > Actually the new release (Leopard) is available today. There's a new CD
    > about 3 feet away from me. The front has a black "X" with a hologram of a
    > galaxy or something on it. The back has a smaller X in the middle with 5
    > holograms surrounding it. The top hollogram is "Finder" followed

    I was referring to the claim regarding "most people want
    Windows", and statistical validation thereof using some
    sort of reputable poll. Granted, Leopard is an alternative
    to Windows; one hopes it's a good one (I've not heard
    anything regarding the beta either way; Tiger has been
    reasonably well-received AFAIK).

    Of course this is a Linux advocacy group, and Leopard is
    not related to Linux except that both are POSIX-compliant
    in some areas, which means some code can be compiled on
    and then run on both.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Windows. Multi-platform(1), multi-tasking(1), multi-user(1).
    (1) if one defines "multi" as "exactly one".

  14. Re: Another nail in the desktop linux coffin

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Keith Windsor

    wrote
    on Fri, 26 Oct 2007 14:53:11 -0400
    <47222bb2$0$15396$88260bb3@free.teranews.com>:

    > "Erik Jan" wrote in message
    > news:47223492$0$746$3a628fcd@textreader.nntp.hccne t.nl...
    >> Keith Windsor had de volgende lumineuze gedachte op 26-10-07 16:10:
    >>
    >>> Most people want Windows.

    >> I don't believe people want Windows, they don't want to be locked out and
    >> unable to communicate easily with others. Microsoft harvests the fruits of
    >> its lock-in policy.

    > Of course they want Windows. Picking linux would effectively 'lock people
    > out' because their applications and documents would NOT be fully compatible
    > with what their friends, neighbors and co-workers are using.

    Wine, Cedega, and for that matter Leopard, which apparently has an
    option to run Windows within a VM.

    So much for "lockout".

    > For better or
    > worse, Windows is the de-facto computing standard and is what most people
    > use. Picking an odd-ball OS would make them in-compatible with the rest of
    > the world.

    Only because "the rest of the world" has been suckered.
    This situation, however, didn't happen overnight, and
    Leopard isn't exactly a magical fix.

    (Neither, for that matter, is Linux.)

    >> Windows is most insecure, and becoming more and more expensive in the
    >> course of years. The Windows license is becoming more and more expensive,
    >> the costs of anti-virus and anti-spyware subscriptions raise more and
    >> more, while the war against all malware is essentially lost. Hundreds of
    >> malware variants are released every week (according to Secunia). Windows
    >> is essentially defenceless against rootkits.

    > That's funny because I've never been rooted. It's not that Windows is
    > insecure it's the millions of people who run as Administrator.

    Windows is being fixed, people notice; they're buying
    Vista. Vista might finally fix the problem, actually,
    of malware. (I have my doubts. More likely, people will
    simply "fix" the annoying UAC.)

    >> Windows needs a lot of maintenance and a periodic clean re-installation,
    >> which means a lot of time lost and sometimes data.

    > More bull****. I've never re-installed Windows.

    You probably were smart enough to restrict the size of
    the paging file. :-)

    [rest snipped]

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Windows. Multi-platform(1), multi-tasking(1), multi-user(1).
    (1) if one defines "multi" as "exactly one".

  15. Re: Another nail in the desktop linux coffin

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, spike1@freenet.co.uk

    wrote
    on Fri, 26 Oct 2007 20:01:03 +0100
    :
    > Erik Jan did eloquently scribble:
    >> Keith Windsor had de volgende lumineuze gedachte op 26-10-07 16:10:

    >>> Most people want Windows.

    >> I don't believe people want Windows, they don't want to be locked out
    >> and unable to communicate easily with others. Microsoft harvests the
    >> fruits of its lock-in policy.

    > Worse than that, I was just talking to someone on the street and the
    > conversation turned to computers. They're the type of people who thought
    > computers ARE microsoft.

    For most people, they are. Like it or lump it, Microsoft
    is a monopoly, and until this monopoly market is changed
    to something resembling a standard-compliant one, people
    will continue to associate computers with Microsoft (and,
    of course, Microsoft with computers).

    The most visible computer is the one near one's elbow
    or foot. This may change as technology continues to
    aggressively mutate (Apple in particular has some
    interesting computer-in-monitor offerings -- which
    is a convenient method of packaging but not all that
    extensible).

    And then there's the sad state of education in the US...
    but I digress.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    "640K ought to be enough for anybody."
    - allegedly said by Bill Gates, 1981, but somebody had to make this up!

  16. Re: Another nail in the desktop linux coffin

    "Linonut" wrote in message
    news:slrnfi47o5.dte.linonut@mlsrock.launchmodem.co m...
    > After takin' a swig o' grog, Keith Windsor belched out this bit o' wisdom:
    >
    >>> Send me four grand and I'll check it out for you.

    >> No need. Just ask the MILLIONS of people who bought a new Mac in the past
    >> 3
    >> months.

    > I'd rather ask the MILLIONS who installed Linux in the past 3 months.

    Except that the millions of people who bought a new Mac is verifiable. The
    "millions" who installed linux amounts to wishful thinking.

    > Except, of course, I don't have the resources of Nielson to poll
    > MILLIONS of people.

    But corporations do have these resources and they have polled millions of
    people. The news ain't good for linux.

    > --
    > Tux rox!

  17. Re: Another nail in the desktop linux coffin

    On Fri, 26 Oct 2007 16:42:00 -0400, Keith Windsor wrote:

    > "Linonut" wrote in message
    > news:slrnfi47o5.dte.linonut@mlsrock.launchmodem.co m...
    >> After takin' a swig o' grog, Keith Windsor belched out this bit o'
    >> wisdom:

    >>> No need. Just ask the MILLIONS of people who bought a new Mac in the
    >>> past 3
    >>> months.

    >> I'd rather ask the MILLIONS who installed Linux in the past 3 months.

    > Except that the millions of people who bought a new Mac is verifiable.
    > The "millions" who installed linux amounts to wishful thinking.

    .... in your opinion.

    >> Except, of course, I don't have the resources of Nielson to poll
    >> MILLIONS of people.

    > But corporations do have these resources and they have polled millions
    > of people. The news ain't good for linux.

    .... why do you care?
    --
    Rick

  18. Re: Another nail in the desktop linux coffin

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Rick

    wrote
    on Fri, 26 Oct 2007 20:44:58 -0000
    <13i4keasdruv6f5@news.supernews.com>:
    > On Fri, 26 Oct 2007 16:42:00 -0400, Keith Windsor wrote:
    >
    >> "Linonut" wrote in message
    >> news:slrnfi47o5.dte.linonut@mlsrock.launchmodem.co m...
    >>> After takin' a swig o' grog, Keith Windsor belched out this bit o'
    >>> wisdom:

    >>> I'd rather ask the MILLIONS who installed Linux in the past 3 months.

    >> Except that the millions of people who bought a new Mac is verifiable.
    >> The "millions" who installed linux amounts to wishful thinking.

    > ... in your opinion.

    I don't know about the Linux install count, but Mac
    purchases should be verifiable enough. One would hope
    Apple's reports include revenue from system sales.

    An interesting, if probably rather biased, report:

    http://www.macworld.com/news/2006/07...hare/index.php

    This is from the same firm, apparently, that brought us that
    wonderfully "unbiased" report regarding Linux TCO, so
    take it with an appropriate dosage of sodium chloride.

    (It's also more than a year old.)

    A slightly more useful report, which is still too old
    for my liking:

    http://arstechnica.com/journals/appl...007/03/02/7296

    The graph suggests 84.33% WinXP, 4.75% Win2k, 4.29% MacOS, and
    2.09% MacIntel.

    http://marketshare.hitslink.com/report.aspx?qprid=2

    suggests 79.32% for WinXP, 7.38% for Vista, 3.38% for MacOS,
    and 3.23% for MacIntel.

    Make of all of this what one will.

    >>> Except, of course, I don't have the resources of Nielson to poll
    >>> MILLIONS of people.

    >> But corporations do have these resources and they have polled millions
    >> of people. The news ain't good for linux.

    > ... why do you care?

    Why indeed?

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Been there, done that, didn't get the T-shirt.

  19. Re: Another nail in the desktop linux coffin

    Appil computer asstroturfer Keith Windsor wrote on behalf of Appil
    Corporation:

    http://www.appile.com/macosux/

    > Once again, Microsoft and Apple continue to eat linux's lunch. Poor linux
    > gets the few crumbs that fell on the floor.

    Dude you are out of date.
    Its Linux that is eating Micoshaft's and APpil computer corporation's lunch.

    Go home and improve your dud OS while you still can.

  20. Re: Another nail in the desktop linux coffin

    On Fri, 26 Oct 2007 10:10:56 -0400, Keith Windsor wrote:

    > Most people want Windows. For those who want an alternative there's an
    > add-kickin update to OS/X available today.
    >
    > http://www.apple.com/macosx/
    >
    > Once again, Microsoft and Apple continue to eat linux's lunch. Poor linux
    > gets the few crumbs that fell on the floor.

    So many 'few crumbs' that the Linux user base outnumbers MAC, according to
    most reports.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast