Another nail in the desktop linux coffin - Linux

This is a discussion on Another nail in the desktop linux coffin - Linux ; After takin' a swig o' grog, Rick belched out this bit o' wisdom: >> But corporations do have these resources and they have polled millions >> of people. The news ain't good for linux. > > ... why do you ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 26 of 26

  1. Re: Another nail in the desktop linux coffin

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Rick belched out this bit o' wisdom:

    >> But corporations do have these resources and they have polled millions
    >> of people. The news ain't good for linux.

    > ... why do you care?

    He's full of it, anyway.

    Just a basic troll. Linux is doing pretty well, even if not as well as
    one would like to see in the "desktop market".

    He needs to face facts, as brought to light by Mark Shuttleworth, for
    example.

    --
    Tux rox!

  2. Re: Another nail in the desktop linux coffin

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Erik Jan belched out this bit o' wisdom:

    > We all hate this. We may use Windows and/or MSOffice and other MS
    > programs, but we hate Microsoft for its arrogance, sloppy programming
    > and neglect of users' wishes.

    Somewhat correct. We don't hate them. We are simply annoyed with them.

    --
    Tux rox!

  3. Re: Another nail in the desktop linux coffin

    Keith Windsor wrote:

    > Most people want Windows.

    Most people inside your head maybe. For all other real folk out there, they
    are decrying the woes of such sad disaster that is Vista. In fact, my tech
    guy keeps getting calls from people who want it out of their computers!

    > For those who want an alternative

    Are finding them in Linux and OSX. Nowadays, this is becoming more of a
    necessity.

    > there's an
    > add-kickin update to OS/X available today.
    >
    > http://www.apple.com/macosx/

    Anything but Windos!!!!

    Proof that MS trash is not a viable solution even for consumers.

    > Once again, Microsoft and Apple continue to eat linux's lunch. Poor linux
    > gets the few crumbs that fell on the floor.

    Poor you. Have you considered therapy?

  4. Re: Another nail in the desktop linux coffin

    Keith Windsor wrote:
    > "Erik Jan" wrote in message
    > news:47223492$0$746$3a628fcd@textreader.nntp.hccne t.nl...
    >> Keith Windsor had de volgende lumineuze gedachte op 26-10-07 16:10:
    >>
    >>> Most people want Windows.

    >> I don't believe people want Windows, they don't want to be locked out and
    >> unable to communicate easily with others. Microsoft harvests the fruits of
    >> its lock-in policy.

    > Of course they want Windows. Picking linux would effectively 'lock people
    > out' because their applications and documents would NOT be fully compatible
    > with what their friends, neighbors and co-workers are using.

    I haven't been having any trouble with document exchange between my
    Linux machines and my Windows machines. I use my laptop for just about
    anything to do with work, and that involves exchanging files with
    Windows users *all the time*. Have you? Perhaps I can offer you some
    tips on how to deal with such difficulties?

    > For better or
    > worse, Windows is the de-facto computing standard and is what most people
    > use. Picking an odd-ball OS would make them in-compatible with the rest of
    > the world.

    My Linux machine is more compatible with the rest of the world than my
    Windows machine is.

    >> Windows is most insecure, and becoming more and more expensive in the
    >> course of years. The Windows license is becoming more and more expensive,
    >> the costs of anti-virus and anti-spyware subscriptions raise more and
    >> more, while the war against all malware is essentially lost. Hundreds of
    >> malware variants are released every week (according to Secunia). Windows
    >> is essentially defenceless against rootkits.

    > That's funny because I've never been rooted. It's not that Windows is
    > insecure it's the millions of people who run as Administrator.

    Because that is what is given to them by default.

    >> Windows needs a lot of maintenance and a periodic clean re-installation,
    >> which means a lot of time lost and sometimes data.

    > More bull****. I've never re-installed Windows.

    Then you got someone else to do it for you.

  5. Re: Another nail in the desktop linux coffin

    On 2007-10-26, Keith Windsor wrote:

    > "AZ Nomad" wrote in message
    >> On Fri, 26 Oct 2007 10:10:56 -0400, Keith Windsor
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >>>Most people want Windows. For those who want an alternative there's an
    >>>add-kickin update to OS/X available today.

    >> And all you have to do is pay thousands extra for your computer hardware

    > Thousands more for the hardware??? In in the mind of a "linux advocate"

    If you want something resembling a "real PC" sure.

    If you want something that's a glorified laptop then you're OK.

    >> and thousands extra for all your applications.

    > And thousands extra for all the apps??? "Unbelieavable"

    A couple serious apps would be all that it would take to get
    into the kilobucks. Do you, like, pirate all of your software or
    something? Or do you just do nothing meaningful with your computer.

    Some serious desktop apps will cost kilobucks all by themselves.

    >> Send me four grand and I'll check it out for you.

    > No need. Just ask the MILLIONS of people who bought a new Mac in the past 3
    > months.

    Mine runs Ubuntu 7.10.

    It was bought primarily because it was the only book-pc style machine
    that I could walk up to a brick and mortar store and buy (and conversely
    return if necessary).

    --
    OpenDoc is moot when Apple is your one stop iShop. |||
    / | \

    http://www.usenet.com

  6. Re: Another nail in the desktop linux coffin

    After takin' a swig o' grog, JEDIDIAH belched out this bit o' wisdom:

    >>> and thousands extra for all your applications.

    >> And thousands extra for all the apps??? "Unbelieavable"

    > A couple serious apps would be all that it would take to get
    > into the kilobucks. Do you, like, pirate all of your software or
    > something? Or do you just do nothing meaningful with your computer.
    >
    > Some serious desktop apps will cost kilobucks all by themselves.

    Just check out the prices at Programmer's Paradise.

    --
    Price check!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2