Open source development is parallel processing in action

,----[ Quote ]
| About 20 years ago engineers around the world began demonstrating what is
| still the greatest computer innovation of my lifetime, parallel processing.
|
| [...]
|
| An open source development process, with light central control, lets you
| manage this challenge organically, in the way a grid computing stack does.
| Products like OpenQRM from Qlusters do it in an enterprise computing system.
| Management theorists should look closely at how.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=1589

Related:

JasperSoft: from Proprietary to Open Source

,----[ Quote ]
| Looking back over our history, I think there was one major shift, which
| was two-and-half years ago when we made the shift from proprietary
| to the open source model. That was the one thing we hadn't planned
| on five years ago, but most people then didn't really think about
| open source as being a viable business model.
|
| Since we've made the shift things have been going really well.
`----

http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/article.php/3664536

Informal Survey: Do Rewrites Really Fail?

,----[ Quote ]
| In a now famous article by Joel Spolsky, he argues that you should never
| rewrite projects from scratch. To be fair, I’ve done this, but generally on
| open-source projects where I’m donating my time. I’m less worried about
| financial constraints or competitive advantage.
`----

http://www.oreillynet.com/onlamp/blo...writes_re.html

Don’t invent, evolve

,----[ Quote ]
| The inventor’s trial-and-error approach can be automated by software that
| mimics natural selection
`----

http://www.economist.com/displaystor...ory_id=9896323

Alan Cox on open-source development vs. proprietary development

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://blogs.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9...bj=TheOpenRoad