[News] AMD Reaches Out to Linux Users, NVidia Down 10% - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] AMD Reaches Out to Linux Users, NVidia Down 10% - Linux ; Should we really be *happy* about AMD's release of specs? ,----[ Quote ] | Talk about a limited OS-centered fanboyism versus the serious issues seen in | the big picture. The OS shouldn't matter as much as Freedomware. `---- http://www.libervis.com/topic/should...lease_of_specs ...

  1. [News] AMD Reaches Out to Linux Users, NVidia Down 10%

    Should we really be *happy* about AMD's release of specs?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Talk about a limited OS-centered fanboyism versus the serious issues seen in
    | the big picture. The OS shouldn't matter as much as Freedomware.
    `----

    http://www.libervis.com/topic/should...lease_of_specs

    Watch the followup. The answer is "yes" because Free drivers are arriving.
    Nvidia will need to match that because:

    Nvidia shares slide 10% on downgrade to sell

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Shares for Nvidia Corp. dropped more than 10% on Thursday after an analyst
    | downgraded the stock from neutral to sell, saying the graphics chipmaker's
    | revenue may have reached a peak.
    `----

    http://www.marketwatch.com/news/stor...D&siteid=yhoof
    http://tinyurl.com/2ugba4

    Yesterday:

    What 10,000+ People Say About Linux Graphics

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | ==============
    | Which video adapter brand(s) do you use in your Linux system(s)?
    | ==============
    | Intel: 15.17%
    | ATI: 31.87%
    | NVIDIA: 48.16%
    | Matrox: 1.41%
    | SiS / XGI: 1.61%
    | Other: 1.75%
    `----

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item=889&num=1

    Related:

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | It has been 80 days since the last NVIDIA Linux display driver was released.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | This week is already very busy with the X Developer Summit going on where AMD
    | will be releasing their new ATI R500/600 open-source driver as well as the
    | specifications and it's very likely that the new NVIDIA 100.xx.xx series
    | driver will meet the world in the coming days. *
    `----

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item&px=NjA0NA

    NVIDIA: Got Specifications?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | This past week AMD raised the Linux graphics bar by not only announcing their
    | new fglrx graphics driver, which delivers Radeon HD 2000 support, immense
    | performance improvements, and AIGLX, but it was accompanied by an
    | announcement that they will be delivering specifications to the X.Org
    | development community. These two announcements came after intense work
    | internally at AMD and over a long period of time, but literally overnight it
    | changed the minds of many Linux users on how they judge this company with its
    | once notorious binary blob. AMD has really set a precedence for showing that
    | a semiconductor company once criticized to no end with their proprietary
    | software can update their views to assist and embrace the open-source Linux
    | community while remaining competitive as a company in a triopoloy market.
    | They have also thus reaffirmed that Linux is a viable desktop operating
    | system. But the ball has now landed in NVIDIA's court. NVIDIA can either play
    | ball by pushing forward with a similar effort, and then all of the big three *
    | GPU manufacturers would be cradling an open-source strategy, or they may find
    | themselves in trouble down the road. * * * * * * *
    `----

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item=831&num=1

  2. Re: [News] AMD Reaches Out to Linux Users, NVidia Down 10%

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    > Should we really be *happy* about AMD's release of specs?
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| Talk about a limited OS-centered fanboyism versus the serious issues seen in
    >| the big picture. The OS shouldn't matter as much as Freedomware.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.libervis.com/topic/should...lease_of_specs

    There is another singular point, though - what use are these machines in
    the long run? The desktop remains dead as a dodo, so far as I can tell.

    If anyone wants to play high-end games now, it's almost certainly less
    expensive to buy a PS3 and just buy the game for it.

    Why spend hundreds of quid trying to force a non-optimal architecture
    into being a high-end graphics machine, when you can buy a PS3 for half
    the price?