[News] Might the '$100 Linux Laptop' Run Without Batteries or Cranks? - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Might the '$100 Linux Laptop' Run Without Batteries or Cranks? - Linux ; OLPC experiments with cow-powered laptops (seriously) ,----[ Quote ] | The One Laptop Per Child Project (OLPC) is toying with a novel source of | power for its low-cost XO laptops: cows. | | "We plan to drive a dynamo ...

  1. [News] Might the '$100 Linux Laptop' Run Without Batteries or Cranks?

    OLPC experiments with cow-powered laptops (seriously)

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The One Laptop Per Child Project (OLPC) is toying with a novel source of
    | power for its low-cost XO laptops: cows.
    |
    | "We plan to drive a dynamo (taken from an old Fiat) through a system of belts
    | and pulleys using cows/cattle," wrote OLPC's Arjun Sarwal, in an e-mail dated
    | Oct. 21 and posted to one of the group's discussion lists.
    `----

    http://www.computerworld.com/action/...icleId=9044060

    Related:

    One Laptop per Child Creates the World's ''Greenest'' Laptop Computer

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The XO Laptop Consumes One-Tenth the Power of Typical Laptops and Earns
    | Highest European and U.S. Environmental Certifications
    `----

    http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/071022/20071022005302.html?.v=1

    On Education, Innovation, OLPC, And Open-Source

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | While I used the machine for only a few minutes, I came away very impressed
    | by it, in part because of my recent thinking about the growing importance of
    | open-source to education, and the shared sense of adventure and hope that I
    | found at the conference. Â*
    `----

    http://daveshields.wordpress.com/200...d-open-source/

    Lessons to Learn from the OLPC

    ,----[ Gist ]
    | 1- Cheap is good
    |
    | 2- People don’t need a lot of power
    |
    | 3- Linux please
    |
    | 4- Flash storage is key
    |
    | 5- Make it efficient
    |
    | 6- Hand crank!
    |
    | 7- Don’t skimp on the features
    |
    | 8- Make it rugged
    |
    | 9- Make it look cool
    |
    | 10- It’s a tablet, too
    `----

    http://www.geek.com/lessons-to-learn-from-the-olpc/

    One Laptop Per Child (New Version), Reviewed by 12-Year-Old

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | For a regular laptop, this would be the paragraph about its problems, its
    | deficiencies. But the thing is, there aren’t any problems with this computer!
    | Congratulations, OLPC. You’ve done it. Or will you come out with yet better
    | laptops? Is that even possible? We’ll have to see...
    `----

    http://www.freedom-to-tinker.com/?p=1206

  2. Re: [News] Might the '$100 Linux Laptop' Run Without Batteries or Cranks?

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    > OLPC experiments with cow-powered laptops (seriously)
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| The One Laptop Per Child Project (OLPC) is toying with a novel source of
    >| power for its low-cost XO laptops: cows.
    >|
    >| "We plan to drive a dynamo (taken from an old Fiat) through a system of belts
    >| and pulleys using cows/cattle," wrote OLPC's Arjun Sarwal, in an e-mail dated
    >| Oct. 21 and posted to one of the group's discussion lists.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.computerworld.com/action/...icleId=9044060

    One wonders if this might not be something of a rise?