[News] Overwhelming Response to Linux GPU Survey - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Overwhelming Response to Linux GPU Survey - Linux ; What 10,000+ People Say About Linux Graphics ,----[ Quote ] | ============== | Which video adapter brand(s) do you use in your Linux system(s)? | ============== | Intel: 15.17% | ATI: 31.87% | NVIDIA: 48.16% | Matrox: 1.41% | SiS ...

  1. [News] Overwhelming Response to Linux GPU Survey

    What 10,000+ People Say About Linux Graphics

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | ==============
    | Which video adapter brand(s) do you use in your Linux system(s)?
    | ==============
    | Intel: 15.17%
    | ATI: 31.87%
    | NVIDIA: 48.16%
    | Matrox: 1.41%
    | SiS / XGI: 1.61%
    | Other: 1.75%
    `----

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item=889&num=1

    Not bad for a new site. This confirms that the size of the Linux community is
    huge and with open source drivers the best is yet to come.

    Related:

    AMD 8.41 Display Driver Preview

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Whether you are using a Radeon X300 purchased a few years ago or the Radeon
    | X1950PRO, the 8.41 driver is noticeably faster. How much faster? In many
    | cases it is about 50% faster while in some configurations it may go as high
    | as 90% or more. In fact, in some benchmarks the Mobility Radeon X300 was over
    | 10x faster!
    `----

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item=821&num=1

    AMD Delivers Significant Graphics Performance and Compatibility Enhancements
    for Consumer Linux Users

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Moving forward, AMD also plans to accelerate efforts to address the needs of
    | the open source community as well.
    |
    | "As client computing on Linux continues to grow so has our support and focus
    | on delivering best-in-class performance and compatibility for our products,"
    | said Ben Bar-Haim, vice president of software, Graphics Product Group at AMD.
    `----

    http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/070905/20070904006432.html?.v=1

    NVIDIA's Calm Before The Storm

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | It has been 80 days since the last NVIDIA Linux display driver was released.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | This week is already very busy with the X Developer Summit going on where AMD
    | will be releasing their new ATI R500/600 open-source driver as well as the
    | specifications and it's very likely that the new NVIDIA 100.xx.xx series
    | driver will meet the world in the coming days.
    `----

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item&px=NjA0NA

    NVIDIA: Got Specifications?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | This past week AMD raised the Linux graphics bar by not only announcing their
    | new fglrx graphics driver, which delivers Radeon HD 2000 support, immense
    | performance improvements, and AIGLX, but it was accompanied by an
    | announcement that they will be delivering specifications to the X.Org
    | development community. These two announcements came after intense work
    | internally at AMD and over a long period of time, but literally overnight it
    | changed the minds of many Linux users on how they judge this company with its
    | once notorious binary blob. AMD has really set a precedence for showing that
    | a semiconductor company once criticized to no end with their proprietary
    | software can update their views to assist and embrace the open-source Linux
    | community while remaining competitive as a company in a triopoloy market.
    | They have also thus reaffirmed that Linux is a viable desktop operating
    | system. But the ball has now landed in NVIDIA's court. NVIDIA can either play
    | ball by pushing forward with a similar effort, and then all of the big three
    | GPU manufacturers would be cradling an open-source strategy, or they may find
    | themselves in trouble down the road.
    `----

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item=831&num=1

  2. Re: [News] Overwhelming Response to Linux GPU Survey

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    > What 10,000+ People Say About Linux Graphics
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| ==============
    >| Which video adapter brand(s) do you use in your Linux system(s)?
    >| ==============
    >| Intel: 15.17%
    >| ATI: 31.87%
    >| NVIDIA: 48.16%
    >| Matrox: 1.41%
    >| SiS / XGI: 1.61%
    >| Other: 1.75%
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item=889&num=1
    >
    > Not bad for a new site. This confirms that the size of the Linux community is
    > huge and with open source drivers the best is yet to come.

    I'm about to start switching over to ATI because of the open-source
    drivers.

  3. Re: [News] Overwhelming Response to Linux GPU Survey

    ____/ Mark Kent on Friday 26 October 2007 15:26 : \____

    > Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    >> What 10,000+ People Say About Linux Graphics
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>| ==============
    >>| Which video adapter brand(s) do you use in your Linux system(s)?
    >>| ==============
    >>| Intel: 15.17%
    >>| ATI: 31.87%
    >>| NVIDIA: 48.16%
    >>| Matrox: 1.41%
    >>| SiS / XGI: 1.61%
    >>| Other: 1.75%
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item=889&num=1
    >>
    >> Not bad for a new site. This confirms that the size of the Linux community
    >> is huge and with open source drivers the best is yet to come.
    >>

    > I'm about to start switching over to ATI because of the open-source
    > drivers.

    That seems to be the consensus in Digg (probably the Linux world in general).
    If NVIDIA loses market share, it'll have to follow suit or /top/ ATI (full
    open source driver?). Some projects play these games with licences, e.g. MPL
    vs GPL.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Watch your step, that soapbox is very slippery