Re: [News] Groovy way to access MySQL - Linux

This is a discussion on Re: [News] Groovy way to access MySQL - Linux ; "[H]omer" wrote in message news:m587v4-1es.ln1@sky.matrix... > Get your Groove on > > .---- > | A very traditional niche of scripting languages, (such as Perl, > | Python or Ruby), has been in the ad hoc manipulation of databases - ...

  1. Re: [News] Groovy way to access MySQL

    "[H]omer" wrote in message news:m587v4-1es.ln1@sky.matrix...
    > Get your Groove on
    >
    > .----
    > | A very traditional niche of scripting languages, (such as Perl,
    > | Python or Ruby), has been in the ad hoc manipulation of databases -
    > | from grabbing data, transforming it, performing bulk updates, right
    > | on through to full-on data migration projects that move data from
    > | one platform or RDBMS to another. Scripting languages are perfect
    > | for these types of task because they are quick to write and test,
    > | can be used interactively while the problem space is being
    > | explored, and because extraneous features - such as graphical user
    > | interface, detailed user documentation and so on - are not
    > | required...
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.regdeveloper.co.uk/2007/10/25/groovy_mysql/

    Yawn. No... make that BIG yawn.

    OSS has finally caught up to what people have been doing on Windows since
    Win2k was released.

  2. Re: [News] Groovy way to access MySQL

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Geppetto Olivio

    wrote
    on Thu, 25 Oct 2007 15:59:58 -0400
    <4720e9d8$0$26438$88260bb3@free.teranews.com>:

    > "[H]omer" wrote in message news:m587v4-1es.ln1@sky.matrix...
    >> Get your Groove on
    >>
    >> .----
    >> | A very traditional niche of scripting languages, (such as Perl,
    >> | Python or Ruby), has been in the ad hoc manipulation of databases -
    >> | from grabbing data, transforming it, performing bulk updates, right
    >> | on through to full-on data migration projects that move data from
    >> | one platform or RDBMS to another. Scripting languages are perfect
    >> | for these types of task because they are quick to write and test,
    >> | can be used interactively while the problem space is being
    >> | explored, and because extraneous features - such as graphical user
    >> | interface, detailed user documentation and so on - are not
    >> | required...
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://www.regdeveloper.co.uk/2007/10/25/groovy_mysql/

    > Yawn. No... make that BIG yawn.
    >
    > OSS has finally caught up to what people have been doing on Windows since
    > Win2k was released.

    Try 1988 or 1989.

    http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/f.../06-28sql.mspx

    Dunno precisely when the scripting capability came into
    play, but it's clear that they could in fact have used SQL
    Server in the Win3.1 timeframe -- in some form.

    This is not to say Microsoft "innovated" scripting --
    I'm not sure who did. But it wasn't Linux, and probably
    wasn't Unix either (Ingres is circa 1973 but did AFAIK not
    include scripting as such; Ingres was finally ported to
    Linux in 1998 but has not really been a factor thereon;
    for their parts Postgres indicates 1985 and MySQL 1994:
    http://www.osdbmigration.org:8080/os...-timeline/view
    ).

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Useless C/C++ Programming Idea #40490127:
    for(; ;

  3. Re: [News] Groovy way to access MySQL

    Geppetto Olivio did eloquently scribble:
    > "[H]omer" wrote in message news:m587v4-1es.ln1@sky.matrix...
    >> Get your Groove on
    >>
    >> .----
    >> | A very traditional niche of scripting languages, (such as Perl,
    >> | Python or Ruby), has been in the ad hoc manipulation of databases -
    >> | from grabbing data, transforming it, performing bulk updates, right
    >> | on through to full-on data migration projects that move data from
    >> | one platform or RDBMS to another. Scripting languages are perfect
    >> | for these types of task because they are quick to write and test,
    >> | can be used interactively while the problem space is being
    >> | explored, and because extraneous features - such as graphical user
    >> | interface, detailed user documentation and so on - are not
    >> | required...
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://www.regdeveloper.co.uk/2007/10/25/groovy_mysql/

    > Yawn. No... make that BIG yawn.

    > OSS has finally caught up to what people have been doing on Windows since
    > Win2k was released.

    Finally?!
    hahahahahaha

    | spike1@freenet.co.uk | |

  4. Re: [News] Groovy way to access MySQL

    After takin' a swig o' grog, The Ghost In The Machine belched out this bit o' wisdom:

    >> OSS has finally caught up to what people have been doing on Windows since
    >> Win2k was released.

    > Try 1988 or 1989.
    >
    > http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/f.../06-28sql.mspx
    >
    > Dunno precisely when the scripting capability came into
    > play, but it's clear that they could in fact have used SQL
    > Server in the Win3.1 timeframe -- in some form.
    >
    > This is not to say Microsoft "innovated" scripting --
    > I'm not sure who did. But it wasn't Linux, and probably
    > wasn't Unix either (Ingres is circa 1973 but did AFAIK not
    > include scripting as such; Ingres was finally ported to
    > Linux in 1998 but has not really been a factor thereon;
    > for their parts Postgres indicates 1985 and MySQL 1994:
    > http://www.osdbmigration.org:8080/os...-timeline/view
    > ).

    Try JCL from IBM?

    --
    Tux rox!

  5. Re: [News] Groovy way to access MySQL

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Linonut

    wrote
    on Fri, 26 Oct 2007 17:12:18 GMT
    :
    > After takin' a swig o' grog, The Ghost In The Machine belched out this bit o' wisdom:
    >
    >>> OSS has finally caught up to what people have been doing on
    >>> Windows since Win2k was released.

    >> Try 1988 or 1989.
    >>
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/f.../06-28sql.mspx
    >>
    >> Dunno precisely when the scripting capability came into
    >> play, but it's clear that they could in fact have used SQL
    >> Server in the Win3.1 timeframe -- in some form.
    >>
    >> This is not to say Microsoft "innovated" scripting --
    >> I'm not sure who did. But it wasn't Linux, and probably
    >> wasn't Unix either (Ingres is circa 1973 but did AFAIK not
    >> include scripting as such; Ingres was finally ported to
    >> Linux in 1998 but has not really been a factor thereon;
    >> for their parts Postgres indicates 1985 and MySQL 1994:
    >> http://www.osdbmigration.org:8080/os...-timeline/view
    >> ).

    > Try JCL from IBM?

    OK...though I'm not sure IBM had an RDBMS when DD cards
    were all the rage. :-) Then again, I'm not sure they didn't.

    A friend of mine has been adamant at the notion
    of a "database" being anything from a sophisticated
    search/retrieval hardware/software solution to a simple
    old-fashioned card catalog (the latter has now been mostly
    replaced by the former, of course).

    IIRC, the main complexity of DD was that it had to describe
    the data format, so that the routines available to the
    program could process it properly. I can't say I fiddled
    a lot with DD (my main contact with IBM systems was in my
    school daze; we had a 4341 running OS/360 and/or VM/CMS,
    but someone had JCL capability at our datacenter), but
    know they were fun, FSVO "fun" anyway.

    On a more contemporary level, pgtcl is a useful library for
    those who want to use tcl to access PostgreSQL databases.
    PHP is also widely used to access PostgreSQL and MySQL.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Useless C/C++ Programming Idea #11823822:
    signal(SIGKILL, catchkill);