[News] Dell Shows Signs of Vista Retraction for 64 Bit - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Dell Shows Signs of Vista Retraction for 64 Bit - Linux ; Dell pulls Vista 64 bit drivers! ,----[ Quote ] | Dell has pulled Vista 64 Bit drivers from their support site. Forums posts go | unanswered, chats with support claim the "server must be down for | maintenance". When a ...

  1. [News] Dell Shows Signs of Vista Retraction for 64 Bit

    Dell pulls Vista 64 bit drivers!

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Dell has pulled Vista 64 Bit drivers from their support site. Forums posts go
    | unanswered, chats with support claim the "server must be down for
    | maintenance". When a user posted their support chat logs, Dell took the time
    | to remove the post. What is Dell hiding? Digg this to pressure Dell to
    | respond!
    `----

    http://digg.com/tech_news/Dell_pulls...64_bit_drivers

    Look at some excuses.

    What’s holding Vista back?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Repeated delays in the delivery of Vista -- which came five years after
    | Windows XP first shipped in late 2001 -- moved the operating system’s release
    | to a point where many users had already begun or completed hardware-refresh
    | cycles.
    `----

    http://www.networkworld.com/news/200...ta-delays.html

    It seems as though they cite some 'study'. Is the brainwash machine hard at
    work? Last week it was the '100 reasons'...

    Nice months went by and never has this excuse been used before.

    Related:

    Microsoft Vista 64 bit is no go in 2007

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Without an exception, they all think it's too early and the drivers
    | won't be that polished for 64 bit either. AMD and Intel have CPUs which
    | can support 64 operating systems but the drivers are still lame,
    | unpolished and slow compared with 32 bit.
    `----

    Vista 64 VS Vista 32

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Vista 64 has a slight advantage over the 32 Bit version speed
    | wise, unfortunately due to the stringent drivers requirements
    | for the 64 Bit versions, at this point
    | my recommendations are to stick with the 32 Bit version of
    | Vista until most of *hardware manufacturers and software
    | manufactures (including Microsoft) decide to actually take
    | advantage of the 64 Bit architecture!
    | Even better: get serious and do some progress in this
    | industry, I am sick and tired to just see marketing
    | numbers and not actually progress here.
    `----

    http://vistaincompatible.com/forums/...num=1171842357

    Windows XP 64 is crap and things break and printers dont work and
    quickbooks doesnt work the list goes on

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Morale (sic) of the story is - if you are using Microsoft products, stay
    | away from the cutting edge - it sucks pretty bad.
    `----

    http://www.pintmaster.com/20061212/w...-list-goes-on/
    http://tinyurl.com/yguyum

    Support for Microsoft Windows XP x64 Not Worth Anything

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Almost no one is supporting Microsoft Windows XP x64, the 64-bit
    | version of Windows XP.
    |
    | There are no Antivirus programs that work with x64 and most
    | applications won't work with x64 (unless they run the crippled
    | 32-bit equivalent).
    |
    | Programs won't install printer drivers because, apparently, no one
    | can figure out how to write a 64-bit printer driver.
    |
    | If Windows XP x64 has this much trouble with basic elements such
    | as printer drivers, how can anyone expect the much maligned Windows
    | Vista to be of any value?
    |
    | Frankly, my high opinion of Microsoft is quickly fading away, and
    | my shop used to be a staunch Microsoft shop.
    |
    | Open Source alternatives are looking better and better every
    | day.
    `----

    http://roacm.blogspot.com/

    Vista users get the 64-bit blues

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Microsoft is keen to stir up enthusiasm for Windows Vista, but
    | when it comes to the 64-bit edition of the recently released
    | operating system, the software giant is sending decidedly
    | mixed messages.
    `----

    http://tinyurl.com/224e3f

  2. Re: [News] Dell Shows Signs of Vista Retraction for 64 Bit

    wrote
    on Thu, 25 Oct 2007 15:10:50 +0100
    <1552146.TPWm1de1BW@schestowitz.com>:
    > Dell pulls Vista 64 bit drivers!
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | Dell has pulled Vista 64 Bit drivers from their support site.
    > | Forums posts go unanswered, chats with support claim the
    > | "server must be down for maintenance". When a user posted
    > | their support chat logs, Dell took the time to remove the
    > | post. What is Dell hiding? Digg this to pressure Dell to
    > | respond!
    > `----
    >
    > http://digg.com/tech_news/Dell_pulls...64_bit_drivers
    >
    > Look at some excuses.

    This is a very confused report.

    [1] What drivers?
    [2] What machines? To its credit the forum posts refer
    to XPS 410, XPS 710, Precision M90 laptop, Dimension 8400
    w/RAID, Inspiron 1501, Dimension E520.
    [3] A search for an nVidia GeForce 7900 GTX 512MB driver
    on a (hypothetical) XPS 710 coughed up a driver dated
    07/26/2006, version v.84.21, A01. It is 21 MB in length
    and is named 'R119866.EXE'. I have no idea whether it's
    32- or 64-bit, though. The note refers to a different
    version for some reason. (I'm assuming video drivers are
    the main bone of contention, though RAID and hard drive
    interface drivers might also be an issue. Audio isn't
    that much of a bandwidth hog; a 16 bit 44100 Hz signal
    consumes all of 88kB/s bandwidth uncompressed -- an issue
    for dialup and low-end DSL lines, but not a problem at
    all for a modern 32-bit 800 MHZ FSB data buss.)

    I have no idea what's going on, admittedly. Fortunately
    for me, I'm not in a position to have to worry about it;
    unfortunately, there are others who most likely are.

    > What?s holding Vista back?
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | Repeated delays in the delivery of Vista -- which came five
    > | years after Windows XP first shipped in late 2001 -- moved
    > | the operating system?s release to a point where many users
    > | had already begun or completed hardware-refresh
    > | cycles.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.networkworld.com/news/200...ta-delays.html
    >
    > It seems as though they cite some 'study'. Is the brainwash
    > machine hard at work? Last week it was the '100 reasons'...
    >
    > Nice months went by and never has this excuse been used before.

    Maybe not, but it would partially explain the 4.6 year
    rampup line by the one market study the wintrolls post on
    occasion. In an idealized case XP was released in 2001,
    Vista in 2004, and everyone is now using Vista in 2007.
    As it is, Vista was released in early 2007 and its eventual
    adoption will be 2010, but many people may have delayed
    their refreshes for a year or more, so now it's all screwed
    up. :-)

    [rest snipped]

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Linux sucks efficiently, but Windows just blows around
    a lot of hot air and vapor.

  3. Re: [News] Dell Shows Signs of Vista Retraction for 64 Bit

    ____/ [H]omer on Thursday 25 October 2007 16:45 : \____

    http://www.dellcommunity.com/support...hread.id=45623

    > Maybe they're shifting the balance over to Ubuntu support, where at
    > least they stand a chance of supporting an OS that actually /works/.

    Yes, the battle for the desktop has already been one (tipping point is well
    behind us). Watch for yourself:

    Coming soon: automatic Linux driver upgrades

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Linux users want two things for their hardware: drivers; and easy access to
    | those drivers. The first is finally happening; and now, thanks to a Dell
    | Linux project called DKMS (Dynamic Kernel Module Support), the other is on
    | its way. * *
    `----

    Ubuntu plus Dell equals better support for devices in Linux

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | One of the best things that has happened to Linux enthusisasts the world over
    | is the confluence of two big players one in the Linux arena (Ubuntu aka
    | Canonical) and the other in the PC hardware space (Dell). And the end users
    | have already started reaping the benefits. *
    `----

    http://linuxhelp.blogspot.com/2007/0...r-support.html

    Dell's Small Software Acquisition Has Big Implications

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | So, how does Silverback benefit Dell? It's rather simple: The same way that
    | big outsourcing firms like Electronic Data Systems manage Fortune 500
    | networks, Dell can now remotely manage thousands of individual customer
    | sites. *
    `----

    http://biz.yahoo.com/seekingalpha/07...4_id.html?.v=1

    Pre-loaded Linux = Increased adoption?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | "I think Dell pre-loading Linux will have a significant impact on
    | Linux adoption, although not necessarily because so many end
    | users comfortable with Windows will decide to switch. Rather,
    | Dell's involvement will motivate many hardware manufacturers
    | to make reliable Linux drivers available, the lack of which
    | has significantly retarded the adoption of Linux by many
    | individuals and organizations interested in trying out Linux.
    | By reducing the barrier of drivers and thereby enabling these
    | trials, Linux will start to achieve some momentum, which will
    | in turn increase its adoption rate. So, I applaud Dell for
    | moving forward on this initiative."
    `----

    http://enterpriselinuxlog.blogs.tech...ased-adoption/

    Dell Wants Better ATI Linux Drivers

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | At Ubuntu Live 2007, Amit Bhutani had a session on Ubuntu Linux for Dell
    | Consumer Systems, where he had shared a slide with Dell's "area of
    | investigation", which Amit had said is essentially their Linux road-map. Amit
    | had also stated that the NVIDIA 2D and 3D video drivers were "challenges in
    | platform enablement". Dell wants to offer ATI Linux systems, but first the
    | driver must be improved for the Linux platform (not necessarily open-source,
    | but improved). * * *
    `----

    http://www.phoronix.com/?page=news_item&px=NTkxOA

    Linux: Driver Support is Key

    ,----[ Quote ]
    `----

    http://direct2dell.com/one2one/archi...3/28/9655.aspx

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | "All your archives are (sic) belong to Google"