Microsoft increases Windows Desktop Search market share ... - Linux

This is a discussion on Microsoft increases Windows Desktop Search market share ... - Linux ; .... by foisting it on their unsuspecting vict^H^H^H^Hcustomers: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/10..._update_snafu/ And what Great Software it is! Reportedly, "All the clients have slowed to a crawl, and the file servers are having problems with the load." Who would want a piece of ...

  1. Microsoft increases Windows Desktop Search market share ...

    .... by foisting it on their unsuspecting vict^H^H^H^Hcustomers:

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/10..._update_snafu/

    And what Great Software it is! Reportedly, "All the clients have slowed to a
    crawl, and the file servers are having problems with the load."

    Who would want a piece of crapware like this hogging their computers? This
    is another proof that Microsoft literally has to force people to use their
    stuff -- the appalling quality of which would send any less powerful
    software maker into bankruptcy within no time, because no-one in their
    right mind would consider paying for it.

    Richard Rasker
    --
    http://www.linetec.nl/

  2. Re: Microsoft increases Windows Desktop Search market share ...

    ____/ [H]omer on Thursday 25 October 2007 14:02 : \____

    > Verily I say unto thee, that Richard Rasker spake thusly:
    >
    >> ... by foisting it on their unsuspecting vict^H^H^H^Hcustomers:
    >>
    >> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/10..._update_snafu/
    >>
    >> And what Great Software it is! Reportedly, "All the clients have
    >> slowed to a crawl, and the file servers are having problems with the
    >> load."

    > Another global disaster brought to you by Microsoft. They made the hat
    > trick, with the WGA server crisis, then the stealth update fiasco.
    >
    > Forget about radar detection of long-range missiles, we should have an
    > early warning system for whenever Microsoft unleashes its weapons of
    > mass destruction upon an unsuspecting public.

    It works differently. First it disables all the PCs in your country.

    Vista a 'threat' to the national security of India

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | As Mr Bombay Watcher says on his blog, Microsoft has a cosy partnership
    | with the CIA, so perhaps the world should take care and caution when it
    | comes time to upgrade. We're pretty certain Windows 3.1 would be a safe
    | bet. He seems particularly worried about the national security of India,
    | as it does, of course, have some conflicting interests with the US
    | of A.
    `----

    Only then, in blackout, the weapons of mass destruction are unleashed.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Ribbon-type shortcuts in Palm handhelds leads to SMS talk. We must we
    abbreviate?
    Tasks: 114 total, 1 running, 113 sleeping, 0 stopped, 0 zombie

  3. Re: Microsoft increases Windows Desktop Search market share ...

    Richard Rasker wrote:

    > ... by foisting it on their unsuspecting vict^H^H^H^Hcustomers:
    >
    > http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/10..._update_snafu/
    >
    > And what Great Software it is! Reportedly, "All the clients have slowed to a
    > crawl, and the file servers are having problems with the load."

    Far worse than this, the article mentions a software patch being
    installed despite systems being configured to disable automatic updates.

    This is a major security hole. As many people are unaware of exactly
    what 'compliance issues' are, consider that companies like Boeing can
    have the entire outputs of avionics s/w builds scrapped if the systems
    doing the builds and subsequent tests aren't maintained in strict
    configuration control.

    Forget slow desktops, figure the cost of grounding your entire fleet
    when the FAA springs an audit and finds an entire batch of s/w to be out
    of compliance.

    --
    Paul Hovnanian paul@hovnanian.com
    Procrastinators: The leaders for tomorrow.

  4. Re: Microsoft increases Windows Desktop Search market share ...

    Paul Hovnanian P.E. wrote:

    > Richard Rasker wrote:
    >>
    >> ... by foisting it on their unsuspecting vict^H^H^H^Hcustomers:
    >>
    >> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/10..._update_snafu/
    >>
    >> And what Great Software it is! Reportedly, "All the clients have slowed
    >> to a crawl, and the file servers are having problems with the load."

    > Far worse than this, the article mentions a software patch being
    > installed despite systems being configured to disable automatic updates.
    >
    > This is a major security hole. As many people are unaware of exactly
    > what 'compliance issues' are, consider that companies like Boeing can
    > have the entire outputs of avionics s/w builds scrapped if the systems
    > doing the builds and subsequent tests aren't maintained in strict
    > configuration control.
    >
    > Forget slow desktops, figure the cost of grounding your entire fleet
    > when the FAA springs an audit and finds an entire batch of s/w to be out
    > of compliance.

    IIRC, Boeing is one of the smarter companies, making extensive use of Linux
    for their mission-critical systems.
    Only idiots trust Microsoft and their crapware.

    Richard Rasker
    --
    http://www.linetec.nl/

  5. Re: Microsoft increases Windows Desktop Search market share ...

    "Richard Rasker" wrote in message
    > Paul Hovnanian P.E. wrote:
    >
    >> Richard Rasker wrote:
    >>>
    >>> ... by foisting it on their unsuspecting vict^H^H^H^Hcustomers:
    >>>
    >>> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/10..._update_snafu/
    >>>
    >>> And what Great Software it is! Reportedly, "All the clients have slowed
    >>> to a crawl, and the file servers are having problems with the load."

    >> Far worse than this, the article mentions a software patch being
    >> installed despite systems being configured to disable automatic updates.
    >>
    >> This is a major security hole. As many people are unaware of exactly
    >> what 'compliance issues' are, consider that companies like Boeing can
    >> have the entire outputs of avionics s/w builds scrapped if the systems
    >> doing the builds and subsequent tests aren't maintained in strict
    >> configuration control.
    >>
    >> Forget slow desktops, figure the cost of grounding your entire fleet
    >> when the FAA springs an audit and finds an entire batch of s/w to be out
    >> of compliance.

    > IIRC, Boeing is one of the smarter companies, making extensive use of
    > Linux
    > for their mission-critical systems.
    > Only idiots trust Microsoft and their crapware.

    Seemingly it appears that only the handful of enlightened linux users who
    post to COLA are smart enough to know this. (Why is the rest of the world so
    stupid and brilliant minds like "7", "chrisv" and "Ricky Rasker" are the
    true masterminds of the computing world?)