[News] Microsoft and Novell Working to Isolate Out Non-'Taxable' Linux - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Microsoft and Novell Working to Isolate Out Non-'Taxable' Linux - Linux ; More Linux poison, just as they do in the EU. ,----[ Quote ] | "The majority of our customers have mixed-source environments, and they want | their platform vendors to make things work together," said Roger Levy, senior | vice ...

  1. [News] Microsoft and Novell Working to Isolate Out Non-'Taxable' Linux

    More Linux poison, just as they do in the EU.

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | "The majority of our customers have mixed-source environments, and they want
    | their platform vendors to make things work together," said Roger Levy, senior
    | vice president and general manager, Open Platform Solutions at
    | Novell. "That's why we entered into a technical collaboration agreement with
    | Microsoft. As a result, Novell is the first vendor to develop and ship
    | technology that will allow a paravirtualized Windows Server 2008 to be hosted
    | as a guest on the Xen hypervisor. Microsoft's decision to put the hypercall
    | API under their Open Specifications Promise will make it even easier for
    | Novell, our customers and partners, and the entire open source community to
    | develop high-quality virtualization solutions that deliver true
    | interoperability between Windows and Linux."
    `----

    http://weblog.infoworld.com/virtuali...oft_makes.html

    Ah! It's the anti-GPL 'license' trick. Bury Novell.

    Microsoft Makes the Hypercall

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Microsoft's decision to license the hypercall API is the right call, although
    | some pundits and competitors might balk at the licensing scheme.
    `---- ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

    Red Hat voices concerns over Microsoft patent model

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | While Red Hat welcomed Microsoft's recent decision to comply with the
    | European Court of First Instance's antitrust ruling, Michael Cunningham,
    | general counsel for Red Hat, stated that the company was still concerned
    | about Microsoft's patent model.
    `----

    http://news.zdnet.co.uk/software/0,1...9290318,00.htm

    XenSource: Xen hypervisor made for servers, not OS

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | XenSource has worked closely with Red Hat and Novell to integrate Xen into
    | their latest Linux distributions and is collborating closely with Microsoft
    | on its implementation of Xen, dubbed Viridian, for Windows Server 2008.
    | Citrix does not own an operating system but sells a platform that offers
    | desktop and application virtualization, and now server virtualization.
    `----

    http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=1592

    So you can see how Xen converges with Viridian under the new Citrix/Microsoft
    regime.

    Related:

    Is Microsoft’s Europe agreement a big deal?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | If open source developers find greater protection for their work and its
    | results in Europe than in America that’s where they will gravitate. That’s
    | the kind of regime the EU is trying to create. We ignore that and dismiss
    | that at our peril. *
    `----

    http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=1584

    Half A Loaf

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Yes, open source will have access to the interoperability information
    | on "reasonable" terms (ask independent open source developers how many can
    | afford to cough up the $15,000 such access will cost), but nothing in this
    | statement indicates the Commission has overcome Microsoft's "refusa[al] to *
    | make the [patent] licence compatible with the open source business model." In
    | fact, we can expect that nothing about that patent license will be compatible
    | with the most widely used open source license, the GNU General Public
    | License. * * *
    `----

    http://walkingwithelephants.blogspot...half-loaf.html

    EU tells open source to start paying MS patent tax

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | EU Commissioner Kroes' deal with Microsoft creates real dangers to Europe's
    | growing open source economy, warns the FFII. Using patent licenses that
    | exclude businesses, the software monopolist has turned the EU competition
    | ruling into a victory, and now gets implicit support from the Commission to
    | proceed aggressively against its competitors. * *
    `----

    http://press.ffii.org/Press_releases..._MS_patent_tax

    Late night baseball games, Microsoft concessions evoke big yawns at open source
    water cooler

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | It will benefit purveyors of proprietary software but not open source
    | developers, agreed Michael Goulde, analyst of open source strategy at
    | Forrester Research, Cambridge, Mass. “Some open source developers believe
    | that Microsoft should make its protocols available for use royalty free. In
    | some cases, there are open source license restrictions that make it not
    | possible for the software to include Microsoft licensed code – because you
    | can’t downstream the license. So, unless Microsoft goes way beyond what it
    | has agreed with the EU to do, only a subset of open source developers will
    | have much interest. They’ll continue reverse engineering Microsoft protocols
    | and doing the best they can." * * * *
    `----

    http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=1582

    Let's Make a Deal - The MS-EU Settlement

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The patent part is terrible. Worse than terrible. They are not blocked from
    | offering patent deals, only constrained as to how much to charge for a
    | license, which is not and never was the issue. So they'll beef up those
    | initiatives, I'm sure. However, the good part is that they were compelled to
    | separate the patent license offer out and make it optional. Thanks, but no
    | thanks. * *
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | I'm guessing Microsoft lawyers are high fiving each other, having snatched an
    | important victory from utter and total defeat. The rest is excellent, of
    | course, and in no way do I mean to detract from the hard work and persistence
    | that the EU Commission has shown. However, I don't think they understand how
    | seriously broken the US patent system is currently, and how easy it is to *
    | abuse it, or they don't feel it's their job to fix the US problems, or how
    | central patents are to Microsoft's current strategy against FOSS. * *
    `----

  2. Re: [News] Microsoft and Novell Working to Isolate Out Non-'Taxable' Linux

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > More Linux poison, just as they do in the EU.
    >

    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | "The majority of our customers have mixed-source environments, and they
    > | want their platform vendors to make things work together," said Roger
    > | Levy, senior vice president and general manager, Open Platform Solutions
    > | at Novell.

    That simply put is an out of date lie.

    Today, open source customers want open source products.

    They don't want it tainted with proprietory technologies.

    Every time proprietory is mentioned, your average IT
    manager now creates a big fuss over how they are being
    screwed. Your average techie voices the same opinion
    by expression how their time gets screwed with closed
    source unmaintable products.

  3. Re: [News] Microsoft and Novell Working to Isolate Out Non-'Taxable' Linux

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, 7

    wrote
    on Thu, 25 Oct 2007 20:54:21 GMT
    <1o7Ui.37057$c_1.10490@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk>:
    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    >> More Linux poison, just as they do in the EU.
    >>

    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >> | "The majority of our customers have mixed-source
    >> | environments, and they want their platform vendors
    >> | to make things work together," said Roger Levy,
    >> | senior vice president and general manager, Open
    >> | Platform Solutions at Novell.

    > That simply put is an out of date lie.
    >
    > Today, open source customers want open source products.
    >
    > They don't want it tainted with proprietory technologies.
    >
    > Every time proprietory is mentioned, your average IT
    > manager now creates a big fuss over how they are being
    > screwed. Your average techie voices the same opinion
    > by expression how their time gets screwed with closed
    > source unmaintable products.

    There appear to be multiple issues here. Presumably,
    the main level a business will want to work at is
    providing services such as email, conference management,
    asset/document handling, and order tracking -- "office
    stuff", one might call it. Since most shops have some
    proprietary software (I'd hesitate to say "all", but AIUI
    most software is in fact contract and/or inhouse work), I'd
    say they'd want the solutions to work together, as well.

    Microsoft of course makes a show of integration -- mostly
    with their own stuff (called, in a fit of high originality,
    "Microsoft Office"[*]) -- but with standards, an IT department
    has a fighting chance of actually being able to do email,
    conference management, asset/document handling, and order
    tracking without delving into the idiosyncratic/idiotic
    world of machine management, virus malware eradication,
    volume defragmentation, and network troubleshooting.

    Of course Microsoft Office is the obvious solution,
    it's the simple solution -- and, it turns out, it's the
    wrong solution. Not to say Office isn't a good idea,
    but between Microsoft's insistence on using proprietary
    formats which are convenient for them, and attempting to
    lock out competitors by not standardizing those formats
    (and, worse, modifying them on occasion so that competitors
    can't reverse-engineer them), IT shops are presumably up
    in arms, waving at the flies buzzing around them as the
    alligators munch on their legs in the swamp which they
    were supposed to be draining -- in this case, because the
    Microsoft pump's clogged, and the new pump with a too-short
    electrical cord won't work with the old pipe.

    Is OpenOffice a good replacement? Dunno, really. I like
    the spreadsheet but prefer writing the HTML myself.
    (YMMV on all this.) Impress is adequate but I tend
    to work with SVG for images. The math package works
    though one wonders why they felt the need to implement
    a TeX replacement. (Of course TeX has its own issues,
    mostly because I'm not sure there's a well-defined set of
    macros that works everywhere.)

    But at least I know OpenOffice has a chance of working.
    It might even become a natural monopoly. (I hope not;
    I want to keep it accountable. Of course, email is but
    one method of communication between individuals anyway.)

    I don't know about Roger Levy's customers, but software is
    a unique animal -- if a wheel already exists out there,
    no point in reinventing the wheel as opposed to merely
    making a copy of a known working one, unless the wheel is
    known *not* to work for some reason (e.g., a side is flat,
    it's too thin, it wobbles, the stuff it's made out of
    melts in hot temperatures), in which case one can modify
    the wheel, making another wheel, which others can copy if
    they need to. (And of course the axle must fit.)

    The GPL encourages this sort of thing. Microsoft, of
    course, would just as soon sell a green-curtained wheel
    to its customers and have them worship it (by paying a
    monthly or yearly maintenance cost). Pay no attention to
    the hexagon behind the curtain; it's a wheel with our
    specially innovated "Stay-Put" feature! Trust us.
    [*] there is, predictably, a flip side. Web browsers
    in the non-Windows world have many colorful names --
    "Safari" in MacOSX (it's a jungle out there?), "Opera"
    (your page isn't loaded until someone sings?), "Galeon"
    (slave driver!), "Epiphany" (Wow, I could have viewed
    the Web!), "kahehakase" (gesundheit?), "Arena"
    (Round 1...fight!), "Mosaic" (wooo, pretty tiles),
    "Netshark" (cue the music, please), "Lynx" (nice kitty
    cat, don't bite me now...) "Grail" (with or without
    Castle Zoot?) and "Cyberdog" (fetch!).

    Maybe Apple's right -- it's a jungle out there. Round 2?

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Useless C/C++ Programming Idea #11823822:
    signal(SIGKILL, catchkill);

  4. Re: [News] Microsoft and Novell Working to Isolate Out Non-'Taxable' Linux

    ____/ The Ghost In The Machine on Friday 26 October 2007 20:05 : \____

    > (Of course TeX has its own issues,
    > mostly because I'm not sure there's a well-defined set of
    > macros that works everywhere.)

    You ought to look into some front ends to TeX. They can improve productivity
    and underneath it can be just plain TeX (not necessarily clean and elegant).

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | United States: #1 in spam export
    run-level 2 2007-10-16 15:14 last=

  5. Re: [News] Microsoft and Novell Working to Isolate Out Non-'Taxable' Linux

    wrote
    on Fri, 26 Oct 2007 23:45:59 +0100
    <1230858.1vI4c0OZEt@schestowitz.com>:
    > ____/ The Ghost In The Machine on Friday 26 October 2007 20:05 : \____
    >
    >> (Of course TeX has its own issues,
    >> mostly because I'm not sure there's a well-defined set of
    >> macros that works everywhere.)

    > You ought to look into some front ends to TeX.
    > They can improve productivity and underneath it
    > can be just plain TeX (not necessarily clean and elegant).

    Oh, I don't use it that often. :-) I tend to use LyX,
    which is a good front end for mathematical typesetting.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Useless C/C++ Programming Idea #1123133:
    void f(FILE * fptr, char *p) { fgets(p, sizeof(p), fptr); }

  6. Re: [News] Microsoft and Novell Working to Isolate Out Non-'Taxable' Linux

    ____/ The Ghost In The Machine on Saturday 27 October 2007 02:56 : \____

    > In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Roy Schestowitz
    >
    > wrote
    > on Fri, 26 Oct 2007 23:45:59 +0100
    > <1230858.1vI4c0OZEt@schestowitz.com>:
    >> ____/ The Ghost In The Machine on Friday 26 October 2007 20:05 : \____
    >>
    >>> (Of course TeX has its own issues,
    >>> mostly because I'm not sure there's a well-defined set of
    >>> macros that works everywhere.)

    >> You ought to look into some front ends to TeX.
    >> They can improve productivity and underneath it
    >> can be just plain TeX (not necessarily clean and elegant).
    >>

    > Oh, I don't use it that often. :-) I tend to use LyX,
    > which is a good front end for mathematical typesetting.

    Just don't use that when exchanging TeX with people that operate on /raw/ TeX.
    LyX generates a lot of spurious stuff when exporting equations.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Coffee makes mw to0 jittery