Re: [News] [Rights] The Free Music Paradigm Obsoletes the iPod - Linux

This is a discussion on Re: [News] [Rights] The Free Music Paradigm Obsoletes the iPod - Linux ; "[H]omer" wrote in message news:40j4v4-0bt.ln1@sky.matrix... > With DRM headed towards oblivion, and the artists revolt against the > music industry, ZDnet ponders the relevance of closed hardware: > > Moving beyond the iPod So the iPod is now obsolete? Only ...

  1. Re: [News] [Rights] The Free Music Paradigm Obsoletes the iPod

    "[H]omer" wrote in message news:40j4v4-0bt.ln1@sky.matrix...
    > With DRM headed towards oblivion, and the artists revolt against the
    > music industry, ZDnet ponders the relevance of closed hardware:
    >
    > Moving beyond the iPod

    So the iPod is now obsolete? Only in the mind of a retard^h^h^h "linux
    advocate" is it so.

    Check with Apple who reported the other day that they sold over 10-million
    iPods in the last 3 months. Selling 890 iPods a minute around the clock 24/7
    is pretty impressive for a product that you're calling obsolete.

    I suspect that you're one of those retarded linux fanatics. Did mommy help
    you place your "free tux stickers" on your lunch box?

  2. Re: [News] [Rights] The Free Music Paradigm Obsoletes the iPod

    On Wed, 24 Oct 2007 17:18:00 -0400, Zumwalt Humphry wrote:

    > "[H]omer" wrote in message
    >> With DRM headed towards oblivion, and the artists revolt against the
    >> music industry, ZDnet ponders the relevance of closed hardware:
    >>
    >> Moving beyond the iPod

    > So the iPod is now obsolete? Only in the mind of a retard^h^h^h "linux
    > advocate" is it so.
    >
    > Check with Apple who reported the other day that they sold over
    > 10-million
    > iPods in the last 3 months. Selling 890 iPods a minute around the clock
    > 24/7 is pretty impressive for a product that you're calling obsolete.
    >
    > I suspect that you're one of those retarded linux fanatics. Did mommy
    > help
    > you place your "free tux stickers" on your lunch box?

    Do you wear a red rubber ball on your nose and big yellow floppy shoes on
    your feet when you post?

  3. Re: [Rights] The Free Music Paradigm Obsoletes the iPod

    On Oct 24, 2:18 pm, "Zumwalt Humphry" wrote:
    > "[H]omer" wrote in messagenews:40j4v4-0bt.ln1@sky.matrix...
    > > With DRM headed towards oblivion, and the artists revolt against the
    > > music industry, ZDnet ponders the relevance of closed hardware:

    > > Moving beyond the iPod

    > So the iPod is now obsolete? Only in the mind of a retard^h^h^h "linux
    > advocate" is it so.
    >
    > Check with Apple who reported the other day that they sold over 10-million
    > iPods in the last 3 months. Selling 890 iPods a minute around the clock 24/7
    > is pretty impressive for a product that you're calling obsolete.
    >
    > I suspect that you're one of those retarded linux fanatics. Did mommy help
    > you place your "free tux stickers" on your lunch box?
    >
    > --

    Yeah, Zune isn't doing so good, is it?

  4. Re: [Rights] The Free Music Paradigm Obsoletes the iPod

    wrote in message
    news:1193332158.909554.28700@q5g2000prf.googlegrou ps.com...
    > On Oct 24, 2:18 pm, "Zumwalt Humphry" wrote:
    >> "[H]omer" wrote in
    >> messagenews:40j4v4-0bt.ln1@sky.matrix...
    >> > With DRM headed towards oblivion, and the artists revolt against the
    >> > music industry, ZDnet ponders the relevance of closed hardware:

    >> > Moving beyond the iPod

    >> So the iPod is now obsolete? Only in the mind of a retard^h^h^h "linux
    >> advocate" is it so.
    >>
    >> Check with Apple who reported the other day that they sold over
    >> 10-million
    >> iPods in the last 3 months. Selling 890 iPods a minute around the clock
    >> 24/7
    >> is pretty impressive for a product that you're calling obsolete.
    >>
    >> I suspect that you're one of those retarded linux fanatics. Did mommy
    >> help
    >> you place your "free tux stickers" on your lunch box?
    >>
    >> --

    > Yeah, Zune isn't doing so good, is it?

    Who said anything about the Zune? (Which is doing much better than the
    "Wizpy iPod killer" by the way.)

    The subject is that some [M]oron is claiming that the iPod is obsolete. Any
    device that sells about 1,000 per minute 24/7 is certainly *NOT* obsolete.

    Then again, facts and common sense rarely get in the way of a "linux
    advocate."

  5. Re: [Rights] The Free Music Paradigm Obsoletes the iPod

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu

    wrote
    on Thu, 25 Oct 2007 10:09:18 -0700
    <1193332158.909554.28700@q5g2000prf.googlegroups.co m>:
    > On Oct 24, 2:18 pm, "Zumwalt Humphry" wrote:
    >> "[H]omer" wrote in messagenews:40j4v4-0bt.ln1@sky.matrix...
    >> > With DRM headed towards oblivion, and the artists revolt against the
    >> > music industry, ZDnet ponders the relevance of closed hardware:

    >> > Moving beyond the iPod

    >> So the iPod is now obsolete? Only in the mind of a
    >> retard^h^h^h "linux advocate" is it so.
    >>
    >> Check with Apple who reported the other day that they
    >> sold over 10-million iPods in the last 3 months. Selling
    >> 890 iPods a minute around the clock 24/7 is pretty
    >> impressive for a product that you're calling obsolete.
    >>
    >> I suspect that you're one of those retarded linux
    >> fanatics. Did mommy help you place your "free tux
    >> stickers" on your lunch box?
    >>
    >> --

    > Yeah, Zune isn't doing so good, is it?

    Don't worry. Once Microsoft has successfully infested --
    erm, that is to say, incorporated -- DRM into everyone's
    desktop (including Apple, by an "innovative" contract
    reinterpretation[*]), the Zune will be the only one
    left that will play any song at all, and the iPod will
    either have to go along with the encoding format -- with
    Microsoft conveniently making it buggy in spots for the
    user's convenience -- or die a horrible death at the hands
    of outraged citizenry who attack the iPod messenger...
    at least until they figure out that the real problem is
    a certain abusive monopoly, anyway.

    (That might take a few decades.)
    [*] one might quibble on this if one knows Chicago or
    New York history, circa 1920-1940 or thereabouts. ;-)

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net -- insert random decade here
    New Technology? Not There. No Thanks.

  6. Re: [Rights] The Free Music Paradigm Obsoletes the iPod

    In article <4720ce30$0$26428$88260bb3@free.teranews.com>,
    "Keith Windsor" wrote:
    > Who said anything about the Zune? (Which is doing much better than the
    > "Wizpy iPod killer" by the way.)

    You must have missed the news. TurboLinux made some kind of deal with
    Microsoft, and so now the Wizpy is not longer an iPod killer. It's now
    a crappy device that no one would want. (It's exactly the same device
    as it was, though...interesting how a device can go from being great to
    being crappy without a single change to the device...)

  7. Re: [Rights] The Free Music Paradigm Obsoletes the iPod

    Tim Smith writes:

    > In article <4720ce30$0$26428$88260bb3@free.teranews.com>,
    > "Keith Windsor" wrote:
    >> Who said anything about the Zune? (Which is doing much better than the
    >> "Wizpy iPod killer" by the way.)

    > You must have missed the news. TurboLinux made some kind of deal with
    > Microsoft, and so now the Wizpy is not longer an iPod killer. It's now
    > a crappy device that no one would want. (It's exactly the same device
    > as it was, though...interesting how a device can go from being great to
    > being crappy without a single change to the device...)

    Wizpy?!?!?! never even heard of it, never mind seen one in the wild.

    --
    If men acted after marriage as they do during courtship, there would
    be fewer divorces -- and more bankruptcies.

  8. Re: [Rights] The Free Music Paradigm Obsoletes the iPod

    On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 17:14:14 +0100, Hadron wrote:

    > Tim Smith writes:
    >
    >> In article <4720ce30$0$26428$88260bb3@free.teranews.com>,
    >> "Keith Windsor" wrote:
    >>> Who said anything about the Zune? (Which is doing much better than the
    >>> "Wizpy iPod killer" by the way.)

    >> You must have missed the news. TurboLinux made some kind of deal with
    >> Microsoft, and so now the Wizpy is not longer an iPod killer. It's now
    >> a crappy device that no one would want. (It's exactly the same device
    >> as it was, though...interesting how a device can go from being great to
    >> being crappy without a single change to the device...)

    > Wizpy?!?!?! never even heard of it, never mind seen one in the wild.

    You don't read Linux Format, then. They reviewed it recently. It got a
    reasonably favourable write-up (good sound quality, supports Ogg-Vorbis,
    FM radio). It's not much known outside Japan. One nice feature is that it
    has TurboLinux installed and can be used a a bootable Live USB distro. LXF
    thought it a little pricey despite having several good points.

    I don't know who called it an iPod killer; it certainly isn't that, and no
    doubt was never intended to be.

    --
    Kier

  9. Re: [Rights] The Free Music Paradigm Obsoletes the iPod

    "Kier" wrote in message
    newsan.2007.10.29.16.45.50.116844@tiscali.co.uk...
    > On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 17:14:14 +0100, Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> Tim Smith writes:

    >>> You must have missed the news. TurboLinux made some kind of deal with
    >>> Microsoft, and so now the Wizpy is not longer an iPod killer. It's now
    >>> a crappy device that no one would want. (It's exactly the same device
    >>> as it was, though...interesting how a device can go from being great to
    >>> being crappy without a single change to the device...)

    >> Wizpy?!?!?! never even heard of it, never mind seen one in the wild.

    > You don't read Linux Format, then. They reviewed it recently. It got a
    > reasonably favourable write-up (good sound quality, supports Ogg-Vorbis,
    > FM radio). It's not much known outside Japan. One nice feature is that it
    > has TurboLinux installed and can be used a a bootable Live USB distro. LXF
    > thought it a little pricey despite having several good points.
    >
    > I don't know who called it an iPod killer; it certainly isn't that, and no
    > doubt was never intended to be.

    "Turbolinux ships first Wizpy handhelds GOODBYE iPod!"
    http://groups.google.com/group/comp....06401f5d9c91aa

    "The iPod killer could be a Penguin"

    "If I lived in Japan, I might start saving up for a Wizpy. Not only is it an
    MP3 player for MP#, Ogg, AAC, DivX and JPEG, but there's a radio receiver
    built right in. A text viewer too."

    http://groups.google.com/group/comp....8231da203d9a39

    Where's all the praise now that Turbolinux signed some business agreement
    with Microsoft?