[News] Vista Learning Curve Steeper Than Linux Learning Curve - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Vista Learning Curve Steeper Than Linux Learning Curve - Linux ; Vistification - a temporoary drive to Linux? ,----[ Quote ] | Rupert's just said again what I've been hearing in various places: | Vista's awkwardness is going to drive people to Linux. | | That's something I heard when Specavers ...

  1. [News] Vista Learning Curve Steeper Than Linux Learning Curve

    Vistification - a temporoary drive to Linux?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Rupert's just said again what I've been hearing in various places:
    | Vista's awkwardness is going to drive people to Linux.
    |
    | That's something I heard when Specavers moved to Linux. They'd been thinking
    | about moving before, but there was always a barrier - the cost of retraining.
    |
    | Vista is gratuitously different from Windows XP. So different that it will
    | take as much retraining (Vistification?) to get a user started on Vista, as
    | it would to get them shifted to Linux. On Rupert's experience, probably more.
    `----

    http://community.zdnet.co.uk/blog/0,...469549b,00.htm

    The same goes for MSO07 and OOo.

    Related:

    Bold Redesign Improves Office 2007 But Learning Curve May Be Too Steep for
    Some Users

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | "it requires a steep learning curve that many people might rather avoid.
    | In my own tests, I was cursing the program for weeks"

    http://online.wsj.com/public/article..._20080103.html

    Partners Fix Up Office 2007 and Windows Vista

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | On Friday, Addintools, based in Hai-nan, China released Classic Menu for
    | Office 2007, after more than six months of beta testing. The user interface
    | enhancement does what Office 2007 can't: Revert to the Office 2003 look and
    | feel.
    `----

  2. Re: [News] Vista Learning Curve Steeper Than Linux Learning Curve

    wrote
    on Thu, 25 Oct 2007 00:41:45 +0100
    <2228949.lKQa44gEvu@schestowitz.com>:
    > Vistification - a temporoary drive to Linux?
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | Rupert's just said again what I've been hearing in various places:
    > | Vista's awkwardness is going to drive people to Linux.
    > |
    > | That's something I heard when Specavers moved to Linux. They'd been thinking
    > | about moving before, but there was always a barrier - the cost of retraining.
    > |
    > | Vista is gratuitously different from Windows XP. So different that it will
    > | take as much retraining (Vistification?) to get a user started on Vista, as
    > | it would to get them shifted to Linux. On Rupert's experience, probably more.
    > `----
    >
    > http://community.zdnet.co.uk/blog/0,...469549b,00.htm
    >
    > The same goes for MSO07 and OOo.

    Wasn't ZDNet accused of being in Microsoft's pocket at one point?

    Of course this is only a temporary condition; a new
    generation is being Vistified(tm):

    ... [L]et's not forget that home users now effectively
    cannot get Windows XP. They're pushed towards Vista
    Home Premium, and that means here's a generation who
    will go through the Vistification process at home on
    their own time, at their own expense.

    In a few years, everyone will be running Microsoft Windows
    Vista Home Premium Edition, apparently -- and hating it.

    Or they'll be running Linux, and loving it. :-) To be sure,
    that's a bit binary, but this is COLA, after all; advocating
    Linux is what we do.

    > Related:
    >
    > Bold Redesign Improves Office 2007 But Learning Curve May Be Too Steep for
    > Some Users
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | "it requires a steep learning curve that many people might rather avoid.
    > | In my own tests, I was cursing the program for weeks"
    >
    > http://online.wsj.com/public/article..._20080103.html
    >

    > Partners Fix Up Office 2007 and Windows Vista
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | On Friday, Addintools, based in Hai-nan, China released Classic Menu for
    > | Office 2007, after more than six months of beta testing. The user interface
    > | enhancement does what Office 2007 can't: Revert to the Office 2003 look and
    > | feel.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.microsoft-watch.com/conte...129TX1K0000535

    Um...wasn't the whole idea of the ribbon interface to be fresh, new, and
    intuitive? *smirk*

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Useless C/C++ Programming Idea #1123133:
    void f(FILE * fptr, char *p) { fgets(p, sizeof(p), fptr); }

  3. Re: [News] Vista Learning Curve Steeper Than Linux Learning Curve

    ____/ The Ghost In The Machine on Thursday 25 October 2007 14:37 : \____

    > In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Roy Schestowitz
    >
    > wrote
    > on Thu, 25 Oct 2007 00:41:45 +0100
    > <2228949.lKQa44gEvu@schestowitz.com>:
    >> Vistification - a temporoary drive to Linux?
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >> | Rupert's just said again what I've been hearing in various places:
    >> | Vista's awkwardness is going to drive people to Linux.
    >> |
    >> | That's something I heard when Specavers moved to Linux. They'd been
    >> | thinking about moving before, but there was always a barrier - the cost of
    >> | retraining.
    >> |
    >> | Vista is gratuitously different from Windows XP. So different that it will
    >> | take as much retraining (Vistification?) to get a user started on Vista,
    >> | as it would to get them shifted to Linux. On Rupert's experience, probably
    >> | more.
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://community.zdnet.co.uk/blog/0,...469549b,00.htm
    >>
    >> The same goes for MSO07 and OOo.

    > Wasn't ZDNet accused of being in Microsoft's pocket at one point?

    It's one of their main advertisers, they use content from CNET (/very/ pro
    Microsoft, with partnerships even), and in this case you're looking
    at "community", not articles, and "whitepaper" (aka "brainwash"
    aka "binware").

    > Of course this is only a temporary condition; a new
    > generation is being Vistified(tm):
    >
    > ... [L]et's not forget that home users now effectively
    > cannot get Windows XP. They're pushed towards Vista
    > Home Premium, and that means here's a generation who
    > will go through the Vistification process at home on
    > their own time, at their own expense.
    >
    > In a few years, everyone will be running Microsoft Windows
    > Vista Home Premium Edition, apparently -- and hating it.
    >
    > Or they'll be running Linux, and loving it. :-) To be sure,
    > that's a bit binary, but this is COLA, after all; advocating
    > Linux is what we do.

    Changes will start at the governments, and they already do. Not in the US and
    UK though.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | INQredible Hacktivism
    Mem: 515500k total, 444228k used, 71272k free, 7912k buffers

  4. Re: [News] Vista Learning Curve Steeper Than Linux Learning Curve

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Vistification - a temporoary drive to Linux?

    Nope. You got that wrong.
    Its PISTIFICATION.
    Your PC is PISTIFIED upon installing Micoshaft PISTA.
    Having your PC pistified is a sure way to abandon Micoshaft Corporation
    and go all the way to Linux.

    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | Rupert's just said again what I've been hearing in various places:
    > | Vista's awkwardness is going to drive people to Linux.
    > |
    > | That's something I heard when Specavers moved to Linux. They'd been
    > | thinking about moving before, but there was always a barrier - the cost
    > | of retraining.
    > |
    > | Vista is gratuitously different from Windows XP. So different that it
    > | will take as much retraining (Vistification?) to get a user started on
    > | Vista, as it would to get them shifted to Linux. On Rupert's experience,
    > | probably more.
    > `----
    >
    > http://community.zdnet.co.uk

    blog/0,1000000567,10006251o-2000469549b,00.htm

    > The same goes for MSO07 and OOo.
    >

    > Related:
    >
    > Bold Redesign Improves Office 2007 But Learning Curve May Be Too Steep for
    > Some Users
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | "it requires a steep learning curve that many people might rather avoid.
    > | In my own tests, I was cursing the program for weeks"
    >
    > http://online.wsj.com/public/article

    SB116786111022966326-T8UUTIl2b10DaW11usf4NasZTYI_20080103.html

    > Partners Fix Up Office 2007 and Windows Vista
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | On Friday, Addintools, based in Hai-nan, China released Classic Menu for
    > | Office 2007, after more than six months of beta testing. The user
    > | interface enhancement does what Office 2007 can't: Revert to the Office
    > | 2003 look and feel.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.microsoft-watch.com/content/channel

    partners_fix_up_office_2007_and_windows_vista.html ?kc=MWRSS02129TX1K0000535

+ Reply to Thread