Ubuntu linux - Written by retards for retards - Linux

This is a discussion on Ubuntu linux - Written by retards for retards - Linux ; I have an old disk with Ubuntu linux on it that I thought I'd try one more time. It's been a while and maybe it doesn't suck anymore. So I unplug my Windows drive and plug in the linux drive. ...

  1. Ubuntu linux - Written by retards for retards

    I have an old disk with Ubuntu linux on it that I thought I'd try one more
    time. It's been a while and maybe it doesn't suck anymore.

    So I unplug my Windows drive and plug in the linux drive. (No way I'm
    trusting my Windows partitions to linux.) I boot up, login in and there's a
    popup notifier:

    "Dapper Drake 6.06 LTS"
    "New release "Edgy" is available. 6.10"

    Sure... why not upgrade. It downloads about 570 Megs worth of stuff,
    installs it, reboots and all is good.

    "Welcome to Ubuntu 6.10 - the Edgy Eft"

    Yep. It worked. Then about 3 minutes later I get another popup notifier.

    "New distribution release '7.04' is available."
    "Welcome to Ubuntu 7.04 'Feisty Fawn'"

    So now it's telling me that I need to download 600 more megs to update my
    system. WTF????

    So if somebody had version 4.x these 'highly intelligent upgrades' would
    walk them through ONE FREAKIN VERSION AT A TIME until they finally have the
    latest one?

    What a bunch of retarded crap. Here's an idea these retards haven't thought
    of yet. When upgrading how about letting me upgrade to the latest version
    without having to install every single god damn version inbetween.

    Linux - written by retards for retards. Time to connect that Windows drive
    once again.

  2. Re: Ubuntu linux - Written by retards for retards

    On Wed, 24 Oct 2007 16:25:21 -0400, Zumwalt Humphry wrote:

    > I have an old disk with Ubuntu linux on it that I thought I'd try one more
    > time. It's been a while and maybe it doesn't suck anymore.
    >
    > So I unplug my Windows drive and plug in the linux drive. (No way I'm
    > trusting my Windows partitions to linux.) I boot up, login in and there's a
    > popup notifier:
    >

    > "Dapper Drake 6.06 LTS"
    > "New release "Edgy" is available. 6.10"
    >
    > Sure... why not upgrade. It downloads about 570 Megs worth of stuff,
    > installs it, reboots and all is good.
    >
    > "Welcome to Ubuntu 6.10 - the Edgy Eft"
    >
    > Yep. It worked. Then about 3 minutes later I get another popup notifier.
    >
    > "New distribution release '7.04' is available."
    > "Welcome to Ubuntu 7.04 'Feisty Fawn'"
    >
    > So now it's telling me that I need to download 600 more megs to update my
    > system. WTF????
    >
    > So if somebody had version 4.x these 'highly intelligent upgrades' would
    > walk them through ONE FREAKIN VERSION AT A TIME until they finally have the
    > latest one?
    >
    > What a bunch of retarded crap. Here's an idea these retards haven't thought
    > of yet. When upgrading how about letting me upgrade to the latest version
    > without having to install every single god damn version inbetween.

    For the simple reason that, since no software is perfect, there is less
    chance that things will go awry.

    > Linux - written by retards for retards. Time to connect that Windows drive
    > once again.

  3. Re: Ubuntu linux - Written by retards for retards

    Zumwalt Humphry wrote:

    > I have an old disk with Ubuntu linux on it that I thought I'd try one more
    > time. It's been a while and maybe it doesn't suck anymore.
    >
    > So I unplug my Windows drive and plug in the linux drive. (No way I'm
    > trusting my Windows partitions to linux.) I boot up, login in and there's
    > a popup notifier:
    >

    > "Dapper Drake 6.06 LTS"
    > "New release "Edgy" is available. 6.10"
    >
    > Sure... why not upgrade. It downloads about 570 Megs worth of stuff,
    > installs it, reboots and all is good.
    >
    > "Welcome to Ubuntu 6.10 - the Edgy Eft"
    >
    > Yep. It worked. Then about 3 minutes later I get another popup notifier.
    >
    > "New distribution release '7.04' is available."
    > "Welcome to Ubuntu 7.04 'Feisty Fawn'"
    >
    > So now it's telling me that I need to download 600 more megs to update my
    > system. WTF????
    >
    > So if somebody had version 4.x these 'highly intelligent upgrades' would
    > walk them through ONE FREAKIN VERSION AT A TIME until they finally have
    > the latest one?
    >
    > What a bunch of retarded crap. Here's an idea these retards haven't
    > thought of yet. When upgrading how about letting me upgrade to the latest
    > version without having to install every single god damn version inbetween.
    >
    > Linux - written by retards for retards. Time to connect that Windows drive
    > once again.

    If linux is so bad, then why are you here? It couldn't be because you're
    feeling a bit insecure with micoshats latest flop os? Nah... you beat your
    dog for that one... Maybe it's the way that linux is taking over... you
    know... creeping into every possible windows niche... it drives you mad,
    doesn't it?

    Do us a favor and just go away. You really aren't doing anything other than
    showing just how scared you are...

    --

    Jerry McBride

  4. Re: Ubuntu linux - Written by retards for retards

    "ray" wrote in message
    newsan.2007.10.24.21.19.26.654987@zianet.com...
    > On Wed, 24 Oct 2007 16:25:21 -0400, Zumwalt Humphry wrote:
    >

    >> I have an old disk with Ubuntu linux on it that I thought I'd try one
    >> more
    >> time. It's been a while and maybe it doesn't suck anymore.
    >>
    >> So I unplug my Windows drive and plug in the linux drive. (No way I'm
    >> trusting my Windows partitions to linux.) I boot up, login in and there's
    >> popup notifier:
    >>

    >> "Dapper Drake 6.06 LTS"
    >> "New release "Edgy" is available. 6.10"
    >>
    >> Sure... why not upgrade. It downloads about 570 Megs worth of stuff,
    >> installs it, reboots and all is good.
    >>
    >> "Welcome to Ubuntu 6.10 - the Edgy Eft"
    >>
    >> Yep. It worked. Then about 3 minutes later I get another popup notifier.
    >>
    >> "New distribution release '7.04' is available."
    >> "Welcome to Ubuntu 7.04 'Feisty Fawn'"
    >>
    >> So now it's telling me that I need to download 600 more megs to update my
    >> system. WTF????
    >>
    >> So if somebody had version 4.x these 'highly intelligent upgrades' would
    >> walk them through ONE FREAKIN VERSION AT A TIME until they finally have
    >> the
    >> latest one?
    >>
    >> What a bunch of retarded crap. Here's an idea these retards haven't
    >> thought
    >> of yet. When upgrading how about letting me upgrade to the latest version
    >> without having to install every single god damn version inbetween.

    > For the simple reason that, since no software is perfect, there is less
    > chance that things will go awry.

    Yikes. So this means that if someone had version 4.x and wanted to upgrade
    to the latest with these intelligent "automatic" updated they would end up
    downloading and installing one version at a time. They'd have to download
    and install all 12 versions (or whatever the number is) until they were
    finally up to date.

    Wouldn't be a big deal if each download was 30 megs. But each download that
    I went through was in the 570 - 600 Meg range.

    >> Linux - written by retards for retards. Time to connect that Windows
    >> drive
    >> once again.

  5. Re: Ubuntu linux - Written by retards for retards

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Zumwalt Humphry belched out this bit o' wisdom:

    > I have an old disk with Ubuntu linux on it that I thought I'd try one more
    > time. It's been a while and maybe it doesn't suck anymore.

    0 Troll-o-meter 10
    ^

    --
    Try harder. Hint: use brain.

  6. Re: Ubuntu linux - Written by retards for retards

    On 2007-10-24 16:25:21 -0400, "Zumwalt Humphry" said:

    > Linux - written by retards for retards. Time to connect that Windows drive
    > once again.

    Good luck with that!

  7. Re: Ubuntu linux - Written by retards for retards

    On 2007-10-24 16:25:21 -0400, "Zumwalt Humphry" said:

    > I have an old disk with Ubuntu linux on it that I thought I'd try one more
    > time. It's been a while and maybe it doesn't suck anymore.
    >
    > So I unplug my Windows drive and plug in the linux drive. (No way I'm
    > trusting my Windows partitions to linux.) I boot up, login in and there's a
    > popup notifier:

    Troll douche alert!

  8. Re: Windopws PISTA - Written by retards for retards

    Micoshaft Asstroturfer Zumwalt Humphry wrote on behalf of Micoshaft
    Corporation:

    I often wonder why Micoshaft's Pista (l)users are turn into
    evil little buggers. Is it mental retardation caused by Pista use?

    In any case should one sue Micoshaft Corporation?

  9. Re: Ubuntu linux - Written by retards for retards

    On Wed, 24 Oct 2007 17:25:18 -0400, Zumwalt Humphry wrote:

    > "ray" wrote in message
    > newsan.2007.10.24.21.19.26.654987@zianet.com...
    >> On Wed, 24 Oct 2007 16:25:21 -0400, Zumwalt Humphry wrote:
    >>

    >>> I have an old disk with Ubuntu linux on it that I thought I'd try one
    >>> more
    >>> time. It's been a while and maybe it doesn't suck anymore.
    >>>
    >>> So I unplug my Windows drive and plug in the linux drive. (No way I'm
    >>> trusting my Windows partitions to linux.) I boot up, login in and
    >>> there's a
    >>> popup notifier:
    >>>

    >>> "Dapper Drake 6.06 LTS"
    >>> "New release "Edgy" is available. 6.10"
    >>>
    >>> Sure... why not upgrade. It downloads about 570 Megs worth of stuff,
    >>> installs it, reboots and all is good.
    >>>
    >>> "Welcome to Ubuntu 6.10 - the Edgy Eft"
    >>>
    >>> Yep. It worked. Then about 3 minutes later I get another popup
    >>> notifier.
    >>>
    >>> "New distribution release '7.04' is available." "Welcome to
    >>> Ubuntu 7.04 'Feisty Fawn'"
    >>>
    >>> So now it's telling me that I need to download 600 more megs to update
    >>> my system. WTF????
    >>>
    >>> So if somebody had version 4.x these 'highly intelligent upgrades'
    >>> would walk them through ONE FREAKIN VERSION AT A TIME until they
    >>> finally have the
    >>> latest one?
    >>>
    >>> What a bunch of retarded crap. Here's an idea these retards haven't
    >>> thought
    >>> of yet. When upgrading how about letting me upgrade to the latest
    >>> version without having to install every single god damn version
    >>> inbetween.

    >> For the simple reason that, since no software is perfect, there is less
    >> chance that things will go awry.

    > Yikes. So this means that if someone had version 4.x and wanted to
    > upgrade to the latest with these intelligent "automatic" updated they
    > would end up downloading and installing one version at a time. They'd
    > have to download and install all 12 versions (or whatever the number is)
    > until they were finally up to date.
    >
    > Wouldn't be a big deal if each download was 30 megs. But each download
    > that I went through was in the 570 - 600 Meg range.
    >

    >>> Linux - written by retards for retards. Time to connect that Windows
    >>> drive
    >>> once again.

    Download 7.10. Burn. Install.
    .... or wait for some magazine to have the discs.

    --
    Rick

  10. Re: Ubuntu linux - Written by retards for retards

    On Oct 24, 4:25 pm, "Zumwalt Humphry" wrote:

    > So I unplug my Windows drive and plug in the linux drive. (No way I'm
    > trusting my Windows partitions to linux.)

    Probably a good idea. Besides, you can use VMWare Converter on the
    Windows drive, save the image directory to a USB drive, then boot the
    Linux drive, install VMWare Player, and start the Window vmx file, you
    now have Windows running on Linux and you still have the "real"
    windows system as a backup.

    > I boot up, login in and there's a
    > popup notifier:

    > "Dapper Drake 6.06 LTS"
    > "New release "Edgy" is available. 6.10"

    This makes sense. Obviously, you were at 6.06 for a reason. You
    could have downloaded the entire Gutsy Gibbon release directly, or
    purchased the software via a magazine, or in the back of a book. The
    download would take about 2-3 hours if you have a Cable Modem or high
    speed DSL, or you want to go to Starbucks. Panera even has free
    WiFi..

    Since you booted into 6.06, there might have been a very good reason.
    Perhaps an application that wouldn't run on the newest versions.

    > Sure... why not upgrade. It downloads about 570 Megs worth of stuff,
    > installs it, reboots and all is good.

    > "Welcome to Ubuntu 6.10 - the Edgy Eft"

    So instead of having to download a 4 gig upgrade, you had the chance
    to install only the incremental upgrades - test your older
    applications, and make sure that nothing was broken.

    > Yep. It worked. Then about 3 minutes later I get another popup notifier.
    >
    > "New distribution release '7.04' is available."
    > "Welcome to Ubuntu 7.04 'Feisty Fawn'"
    >
    > So now it's telling me that I need to download 600 more megs to update my
    > system.

    Yes. And after that, you would have been given the opportunity to
    download "gutsy Gibbon"
    I think that one is 7.10. That might be another 300-400 megs of
    downloads, with new features.

    On the other hand, if you decided that Gutsy Gibbon was too new for
    you to feel comfortable, you could stay with Edgy or Feisty Fawn.

    > WTF????

    A common complaint among Linux users, especially commercial users is
    that the versions change so rapidly that it's hard to keep up. Very
    few applications get broken, but it's often necessary to test and
    validate against a "certified" version.

    There are still customers using Oracle 9g who need to have access to
    Red Hat 7.2

    There are customers using WebSphere 5.0 who still need to run Red Hat
    8.0. It's not that they can't run newer versions of Red Hat, but they
    need to upgrade the application software, commercial libraries, and
    OSS libraries in lock-step to the next "Certified" level.

    An upgrade for a high-end system could take 3-6 months to validate.

    > So if somebody had version 4.x these 'highly intelligent upgrades' would
    > walk them through ONE FREAKIN VERSION AT A TIME until they finally have the
    > latest one?

    The other option is to download the version you want. It's often nice
    to know that you CAN get the version you want, or be upgraded when YOU
    want to be upgraded.

    > What a bunch of retarded crap. Here's an idea these retards haven't thought
    > of yet. When upgrading how about letting me upgrade to the latest version
    > without having to install every single god damn version inbetween.

    Keep in mind that IBM had to disable Windows XP SP2 upgrades for
    almost 2 years because the upgrades kept breaking applications that
    were critical to IBM. Many other companies have had similar problems.

    Recently, there was a "security fix" that made it to a bunch of
    machines and broke them so badly that Windows XP had to be completely
    reinstalled. So many people didn't have Installation media that
    Microsoft put out a special "recovery" disk for those who had been
    impacted.

    Third party Windows Applications that do automatic upgrades have also
    been known to cause problems, especially if there are library
    conflicts with other 3rd party Windows applications, or have conflicts
    with Microsoft security patches that haven't been tested with the 3rd
    party software.

    Most versions of Linux give the end-user or corporate administrator
    control over their upgrade process. Ubuntu needs to support that as
    well to succeed.

    Do you want Fedora 7 - the latest version of Red Hat, or RHEL-5 - the
    newest one certified for production use with DB2, Oracle, and other
    commercial server software?

    You might want Fedora Core 6 - so that you can prepare a project that
    is scheduled to go into production a few months after RHEL-6 comes
    out.

    For production, you want SLED 10 or SLES 10. For leading edge
    development of projects scheduled to come out in 6-9 months, you
    probably want to use OpenSUSE 10.2

    > Linux - written by retards for retards.

    The evidence shows just the opposite. Remember, Windows users don't
    even have to install their own software, they don't have to read a
    book. Microsoft hires a lot of really good programmers, not to write
    revolutionary new software, but to meticulously add context sensitive
    help and give the dancing paper clip answers to all of the questions -
    even when you don't want them.

    Linux on the other hand has lots of revolutionary new software as well
    as some of the most stable and reliable software available in the
    market - much that has been in production environments for decades,
    first on BSD Unix systems then on AT&T UNIX systems, and then on Linux
    systems.

    Linux is often the launching ground for the newest genres of software
    ranging from interactive 3D animation - to real-time management
    dashboards, to CAD, CASE, and CAM systems and many business to
    business integrations, Web systems, and collaboration technologies.

    Linux has made the world a smaller place where it's possible to make
    $billions (google, amazon, e-trade,...) this.

    Do be fair, Microsoft makes it much easier for "morons" as you call
    them, to appear more skilled than they really are. An excel
    spreadsheet can fool a bank into thinking you actually know something
    about budgeting and business management - and maybe you'll get a loan
    for your soon to be bankrupt company. Microsoft PowerPoint can make
    you look like you know something about marketing and advertising -
    even when you have no clue what you are talking about. Microsoft
    Access can make a company think you are a Database Administrator, even
    though your "SQL" is completely non-standard and non-portable, and
    also so poorly normalized that you just gobble up huge amounts of
    memory and hard drive with "tramp" data.

    And then there is Microsoft Project - you can fool people into
    thinking you are a project manager and then wonder why you have people
    working 80 hour weeks and your project is still taking 3 times longer
    than you said it would - and we won't even talk about the real costs -
    the billing that you might be able to pass on puts it 5 times your
    original bid, because you didn't level properly.

    > Time to connect that Windows drive once again.

    Just out of curiosity - how much time did you actually spend USING ANY
    of the versions you installed. You have described the process of
    upgrading, but not a peep about Feisty Fawn's new features, like the 3-
    D rotating cube desktop, or the nice new versions of Open Office 2.2,
    or FireFox 2.0, or any of the other nice new features and options
    available.

    One can only assume that you did this little "Upgrade" for the express
    purpose of complaining about Linux -- again.

    If you reallly want to grouse - go buy a machine with Vista, a Direct-
    X 10 video card, and an Atheros ar5416 based WiFi card, so that
    NOTHING will work as well as it should.

    > --

  11. Re: Windopws PISTA - Written by retards for retards

    7 wrote:
    > Micoshaft Asstroturfer Zumwalt Humphry wrote on behalf of Micoshaft
    > Corporation:

    > I often wonder why Micoshaft's Pista (l)users are turn into
    > evil little buggers. Is it mental retardation caused by Pista use?
    >
    > In any case should one sue Micoshaft Corporation?

    in this NG with you're BS bashing you have done for years. >

  12. Re: Ubuntu linux - Written by retards for retards

    On Wed, 24 Oct 2007 16:25:21 -0400, Zumwalt Humphry wrote:

    > I have an old disk with Ubuntu linux on it that I thought I'd try one
    > more time.

    Why would anyone but a retard bother with an old disk when the most up to
    date version is so easily available and simple to install?

  13. Re: Ubuntu linux - Written by retards for retards

    Robin T Cox wrote:

    > On Wed, 24 Oct 2007 16:25:21 -0400, Zumwalt Humphry wrote:
    >
    >> I have an old disk with Ubuntu linux on it that I thought I'd try one
    >> more time.

    > Why would anyone but a retard bother with an old disk when the most up to
    > date version is so easily available and simple to install?

    An idiot troll who hasn't the faintest idea of wtf he's doing, that's who.

    --
    Operating systems: FreeBSD 6.2, PC-BSD 1.4,
    Testing: FreeBSD 7.0

  14. Re: Ubuntu linux - Written by retards for retards

    On Oct 24, 1:25 pm, "Zumwalt Humphry" wrote:
    > I have an old disk with Ubuntu linux on it that I thought I'd try one more
    > time. It's been a while and maybe it doesn't suck anymore.

    Dear Zumwalt,

    Or is it Adam Baum, Barb Dwyer, Capt. James Pike, Capt. Morgan,
    Captain Commando, Colonel Ichabod Conk, Cpl Kronk, Dr. Disco, Dr.
    Fafoofnik, Dr. Feelgood, Dr Gang Green, Dr. GroundAxe, Dr. Hungwell,
    Dr. Hurt, Dr. Livingston, Dr. McGillicudy, Dr. Pain, Dr. Seymour
    Butts, Dr. Shlongwell, Dr.Smooth, Dr. Zhivago, Gordon Glover, Judge
    Dredd, Keith Windsor, Lintard Luser, Lt. Stardust, Mindy Cohen
    impersonator, Mr. Doug Hoel, Mr. X, Ms. Polly Ester, Ofc. Michael
    Clayton, Professor Dungby, Randy Oaks, SgtMajor Gansevoort, Sgt.
    Wannacker, Simon Templar, Sir Michael Clayton, Sophie McDowell, Sue
    Romer, Warren Piece?

    Each of whom has a different linux horror story? And those are just
    your nyms in the last month or so. And every story is a lie. DFS
    loves to talk about lying linux advocates, but somehow your lies don't
    bother him. It's incredible the amount of time you spend trying to
    trash this newsgroup. Don't you have another life? Maybe this *is*
    your life.

    Best regards,
    Nessuno

  15. Re: Windopws PISTA - Written by retards for retards

    Micoshaft Asstroturfer OJ Simpson wrote on behalf of Micoshaft Corporation:

    > > in this NG with you're BS bashing you have done for years. >

    So what are you trying to tell us?
    That you are a cute bum boy for Micoshaft Corporation?
    Bum boys like you posting drivel on behalf of Micoshaft Corporation need to
    get a life.

  16. Re: Windopws PISTA - Written by retards for retards

    7 did eloquently scribble:

    > So what are you trying to tell us?
    > That you are a cute bum boy for Micoshaft Corporation?
    > Bum boys like you posting drivel on behalf of Micoshaft Corporation need to
    > get a life.

    It doesn't really matter if he's a windows troll or a linux advocate does
    it.

    When it comes to you... HE IS 100% RIGHT!
    ****ING TALK IN NORMAL ENGLISH FOR ONCE YOU TWAT!

    FFS.
    | in |good to you so far... |

  17. Re: Ubuntu linux - Written by retards for retards

    On Wed, 24 Oct 2007 16:25:21 -0400, Zumwalt Humphry wrote:

    > What a bunch of retarded crap. Here's an idea these retards haven't thought
    > of yet. When upgrading how about letting me upgrade to the latest version
    > without having to install every single god damn version inbetween.

    Yeah. Windows is so much better to upgrade, upgrade....reboot....more
    upgrades....reboot...yet /more/ upgrades.....reboot....hey, IE
    update!....reboot...security patch for the IE update...reboot, etc.., etc.
    And all this *just* for the platform, not any of the apps installed on it.

    Seriously, if you want to even try to compare Windows vs. Ubuntu update
    process, there is none. The Linux/OSS method is far superior, as usual.

    --
    rapskat - 07:14:33 up 7 days, 13:34, 4 users, load average: 0.11, 0.19, 0.43
    netgod: My calculator has more registers than the x86, and

  18. Re: Ubuntu linux - Written by retards for retards

    On Oct 26, 7:19 am, rapskat wrote:
    > On Wed, 24 Oct 2007 16:25:21 -0400, Zumwalt Humphry wrote:

    Comparison of Install/upgrade of Ubuntu - complaints that 4 upgrades
    from 2 year old release were required to get to current release.

    > > What a bunch of retarded crap. Here's an idea these retards haven't thought
    > > of yet. When upgrading how about letting me upgrade to the latest version
    > > without having to install every single god damn version inbetween.

    He could have downloaded the latest version - Gutsy Gibbon directly
    from Ubuntu. No charge, just a long download - maybe even overnight,
    or a background job while he was using Windows or the current version
    of Linux (he had 6.10 installed).

    > Yeah. Windows is so much better to upgrade, upgrade....reboot....more
    > upgrades....reboot...yet /more/ upgrades.....reboot....hey, IE
    > update!....reboot...security patch for the IE update...reboot, etc.., etc.
    > And all this *just* for the platform, not any of the apps installed on it.

    I always find it a bit amusing when someone compares the installation
    of Windows, and it's 50-60 applet applications to Linux, and it's 2000
    packages of applications. It's a bit like comparing the complexity of
    building a bicycle to the complexity of building a Sports Utility
    Vehicle.

    The problem is that because he never learned to drive, he thinks he
    gets more "freedom" with the bicycle, because he can't actually DRIVE
    the SUV.

    If all you want to do is get to a near-by store or community center,
    the bicycle is probably simpler, more efficient, lower cost, and even
    healthy. If you need to commute 20 miles to work, and back, in all
    kinds of weather, including unplowed roads covered with 2 feet of
    snow, you probably woudn't want to do that on a bicycle.

    You could BUY some of the software that is similar to that offered by
    Linux. It would probably even be really "cute" with nice friendly
    graphical user interfaces, context sensitive help, and even a toll
    free help line for getting you questions answered. Windows has a
    larger assortment of this type of software, but more and more Linux
    users are also willing to pay modest fees for this type of support as
    well.

    > Seriously, if you want to even try to compare Windows vs. Ubuntu update
    > process, there is none. The Linux/OSS method is far superior, as usual.

    My favorite scenario. You're on the road, you have a report due
    tomorrow morning, and a virus has turned your hard drive into
    confetti. You have a copy of the report on your corporate network
    drive, but it's 6 PM and you need to get your laptop up to the point
    where you can have someone send it to you.

    You have to install Windows.
    You have to install Office
    You have to install the VPN software.
    You have to install the Network applications.
    You have to install the software to be demonstrated.
    You have to install corporate e-mail package.
    You have to install WinZip
    and so on.

    You can go to the local Staples and plonk down $350 for Windows XP Pro
    or Vista Business edition (remember your hard drive is completely
    unreadable, so you have to start from scratch. You can get a
    replacement hard drive for $150, you can get MS-Office professional
    for $450.
    You could easily spend another $500-600 at $40-$200 per application to
    have the system back to the way it was before it crashed.

    You might be able to get the machine functional enough to make your
    presentation before 8 AM if you stayed up all night, but it might take
    a week or more to fully restore that Windows machine.

    > rapskat - 07:14:33 up 7 days, 13:34, 4 users, load average: 0.11, 0.19, 0.43
    > netgod: My calculator has more registers than the x86, and
    > -- thats- sad

    The Vax 11/750 with BSD Unix 4.2 had 1 megabyte of RAM, a 1 MIPS
    processor, and several drives TOTALING 1 gigabyte and was shared by
    over 100 users.
    My CELL PHONE has 800 MIPS processor, 256 megabytes of RAM, and a
    flash drive that stores 2 gigabytes, and it's the "smallest" of of my
    "appliances". The laptop has 3 gig of RAM, 3000 MIPS, 160 gigabyte
    drive, and can run Linux and Windows at the same time.

  19. Re: Ubuntu linux - Written by retards for retards

    On Wed, 24 Oct 2007 16:25:21 -0400, Zumwalt Humphry wrote:

    > I have an old disk with Ubuntu linux on it that I thought I'd try one more
    > time. It's been a while and maybe it doesn't suck anymore.
    >
    > So I unplug my Windows drive and plug in the linux drive. (No way I'm
    > trusting my Windows partitions to linux.) I boot up, login in and there's a
    > popup notifier:
    >

    > "Dapper Drake 6.06 LTS"
    > "New release "Edgy" is available. 6.10"

    New release feisty and new release gutsy are available, too. So let's
    see:

    Gutsy Vista
    Feisty XP
    Edgy Win2K
    Dapper Win98

    Ah, yes. We'll be sure to compare your comments to a Win98 install, just
    to ensure that you're not comparing a current version to something four
    versions old.

    > Sure... why not upgrade. It downloads about 570 Megs worth of stuff,
    > installs it, reboots and all is good.

    Of course, this means you've at the least got a successful install.
    Including comparative immunity from viruses, at least one office suite
    bundled, your choice of several available desktops, the option to run
    enterprise-scale servers, etc, etc, etc. How's Win98 compare, hmm?

    Oh, wait, this is edgy now? Good, so we should compare it to Win2K. Of
    course, this is, presumably, a desktop-class install, rather than a
    server-class install, so that should be Win2K pro, not server. So, both
    come bundled with an office suite, right? And firewalls, right? And
    other security measures, such as the AV you'll need on the Windows side,
    right?

    Oh, well. Such a nice little comparison while it lasted.

    > "New distribution release '7.04' is available." "Welcome to Ubuntu
    > 7.04 'Feisty Fawn'"
    >
    > So now it's telling me that I need to download 600 more megs to update
    > my system. WTF????

    You install a distro thee major versions behind current, and you expect
    something other than upgrade notifications? Hmm... I'm sure your old
    Win98 install detected the new release of Win2K, which then detected XP,
    which then detected Vista, and of course allowed you, with the click of a
    button, to upgrade from the first to the last, right? Right? No? Funny,
    looks like Ubuntu's doing just that. Amazing, isn't it, how in Linux
    things work?

    > So if somebody had version 4.x these 'highly intelligent upgrades' would
    > walk them through ONE FREAKIN VERSION AT A TIME until they finally have
    > the latest one?

    Actually, that's not too surprising, as upgrading three major versions in
    a go can lead to hassles in any OS. Much safer to do it one step at a
    time.

    Meanwhile, of course, you'll kindly show us how Win98 included the
    functionality to automatically download and upgrade to Vista in one easy
    step, right? No? Ah; so it's something which doesn't work as well as
    you'd like on one side, compared to something that doesn't work at all on
    the other, and you consider the former to be somehow broken.

    Pretty much sums it all up, doesn't it? A Windows user will choose the
    non-existent over something which exists but isn't perfect.

  20. Re: Ubuntu linux - Written by retards for retards

    [snips]

    On Wed, 24 Oct 2007 17:25:18 -0400, Zumwalt Humphry wrote:

    > Wouldn't be a big deal if each download was 30 megs. But each download that
    > I went through was in the 570 - 600 Meg range.

    The size of the install CD for gutsy, give or take a bit. So you chose to
    do things in a manner requiring the most steps, rather than the manner
    requiring one, and this is the fault of the software how?

    Meanwhile, where's the button in Win98 that one can click to download
    the packages and upgrade to Vista? Hmm? Doesn't exist? Ah yes; so
    you're complaining about something imperfect, while failing to note that
    its "competition" is simply non-existent.

+ Reply to Thread