Linux (Kubuntu) - KDE Base Tweaks - Linux

This is a discussion on Linux (Kubuntu) - KDE Base Tweaks - Linux ; (1) How do you clear the contents of Find Files/Folders (on the K-Menu)? (2) How do you clear the contents of the Run Command (on the K-Menu)? (3) How do you get every new users desktop to have what you ...

  1. Linux (Kubuntu) - KDE Base Tweaks

    (1) How do you clear the contents of Find Files/Folders (on the K-Menu)?

    (2) How do you clear the contents of the Run Command (on the K-Menu)?

    (3) How do you get every new users desktop to have what you have - look and
    feel - a default user profile (I tried copying the contents of
    my /home/myprof/* profile to /etc/skel/ - that did not work.

    Thanks!

  2. Re: Linux (Kubuntu) - KDE Base Tweaks

    /root wrote:

    >(1) How do you clear the contents of Find Files/Folders (on the K-Menu)?
    >
    >(2) How do you clear the contents of the Run Command (on the K-Menu)?
    >
    >(3) How do you get every new users desktop to have what you have - look and
    >feel - a default user profile (I tried copying the contents of
    >my /home/myprof/* profile to /etc/skel/ - that did not work.
    >
    >Thanks!

    The settings are in $HOME/.kde. If you want to know where something is
    actualy configured you can do the following:
    cp -r .kde temp

    diff -Naur .kde temp > patch
    Then look at the content of the file "patch". For question (2) it
    seems to be the file .kde/share/config/kdesktoprc, section [MiniCli].
    For question (1) you can try yourself.

    In general all applications keep the user-specific configurations in
    $HOME/.app_name.

    Hope this helps,
    Mihai

  3. Re: Linux (Kubuntu) - KDE Base Tweaks

    Mihai Osian wrote:

    > /root wrote:
    >
    >>(1) How do you clear the contents of Find Files/Folders (on the K-Menu)?
    >>
    >>(2) How do you clear the contents of the Run Command (on the K-Menu)?
    >>
    >>(3) How do you get every new users desktop to have what you have - look
    >>and feel - a default user profile (I tried copying the contents of
    >>my /home/myprof/* profile to /etc/skel/ - that did not work.
    >>
    >>Thanks!
    >>

    > The settings are in $HOME/.kde. If you want to know where something is
    > actualy configured you can do the following:
    > cp -r .kde temp
    >
    > diff -Naur .kde temp > patch
    > Then look at the content of the file "patch". For question (2) it
    > seems to be the file .kde/share/config/kdesktoprc, section [MiniCli].
    > For question (1) you can try yourself.
    >
    > In general all applications keep the user-specific configurations in
    > $HOME/.app_name.
    >
    > Hope this helps,
    > Mihai

    Thanks...got 1 and 2...still problem with 3!

    To the Linux gurus out there...when a new distro comes and it first logs in,
    and you get a desktop and application settings...WHERE is this this coming
    from and how do you set it up?

    Gracias.

  4. Re: Linux (Kubuntu) - KDE Base Tweaks

    In alt.os.linux /root :
    > Mihai Osian wrote:
    >> /root wrote:

    [ Invalid (for me) Followup-To removed ]

    >>>(3) How do you get every new users desktop to have what you have - look
    >>>and feel - a default user profile (I tried copying the contents of
    >>>my /home/myprof/* profile to /etc/skel/ - that did not work.

    [..]

    > Thanks...got 1 and 2...still problem with 3!

    > To the Linux gurus out there...when a new distro comes and it first logs in,
    > and you get a desktop and application settings...WHERE is this this coming
    > from and how do you set it up?

    /etc/skel works, copying ~/.kde should be enough, perhaps you
    aren't instructing useradd to copy /etc/skel?
    "useradd ... -m -k /etc/skel ..."
    'man useradd' for more info

    #bofh excuse 133: It's not plugged in.

  5. Re: Linux (Kubuntu) - KDE Base Tweaks

    "Michael Heiming" wrote in message
    > In alt.os.linux /root :
    >> Mihai Osian wrote:
    >>> /root wrote:

    > [ Invalid (for me) Followup-To removed ]

    > [..]
    >
    >> Thanks...got 1 and 2...still problem with 3!

    >> To the Linux gurus out there...when a new distro comes and it first logs
    >> in,
    >> and you get a desktop and application settings...WHERE is this this
    >> coming
    >> from and how do you set it up?

    > /etc/skel works, copying ~/.kde should be enough, perhaps you
    > aren't instructing useradd to copy /etc/skel?
    > "useradd ... -m -k /etc/skel ..."
    > 'man useradd' for more info
    >
    > --
    > Michael Heiming (X-PGP-Sig > GPG-Key ID: EDD27B94)
    > mail: echo zvpunry@urvzvat.qr | perl -pe 'y/a-z/n-za-m/'
    > #bofh excuse 133: It's not plugged in.

    Thank you sir...that was it...just now have to copy everything cleanly...I
    guess I just need to tweak it more before the copy to /etc/skel and make
    sure the profile I copy is generic as possible. Is there a guide on doing
    this - I would like to standardize the users logging into the system - the
    look and feel and applications.

+ Reply to Thread