Re: [News] Open Source is Student-ready, Including OpenOffice.org - Linux

This is a discussion on Re: [News] Open Source is Student-ready, Including OpenOffice.org - Linux ; "Roy Schestowitz" wrote in message news:2196947.zS2hW6qIIB@schestowitz.com... > Tyler Tech: Open-source a software alternative > > ,----[ Quote ] > | OpenOffice.org is, as the name would suggest, a full open-source suite > of > | office programs. Every program a ...

  1. Re: [News] Open Source is Student-ready, Including OpenOffice.org

    "Roy Schestowitz" wrote in message
    > Tyler Tech: Open-source a software alternative
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | OpenOffice.org is, as the name would suggest, a full open-source suite
    > of
    > | office programs. Every program a student ever needs is in here, from a
    > | writing program to a presentation creator similar to PowerPoint. The
    > suite
    > | was originally developed by Sun Microsystems and was aimed solely at
    > | providing a free alternative to Microsoft Office. It is compatible with
    > and
    > | can save files as any Microsoft Office format.
    > `----

    So Harvard, Princeton and MIT students use Windows and MS-Office. But "Tyler
    Tech" uses Open Office. I guess that'll prepare the students well for their
    future jobs as TV repair men.

  2. Re: [News] Open Source is Student-ready, Including OpenOffice.org

    Adam Baum espoused:

    > "Roy Schestowitz" wrote in message
    >> Tyler Tech: Open-source a software alternative
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >> | OpenOffice.org is, as the name would suggest, a full open-source suite
    >> of
    >> | office programs. Every program a student ever needs is in here, from a
    >> | writing program to a presentation creator similar to PowerPoint. The
    >> suite
    >> | was originally developed by Sun Microsystems and was aimed solely at
    >> | providing a free alternative to Microsoft Office. It is compatible with
    >> and
    >> | can save files as any Microsoft Office format.
    >> `----

    > So Harvard, Princeton and MIT students use Windows and MS-Office. But "Tyler
    > Tech" uses Open Office. I guess that'll prepare the students well for their
    > future jobs as TV repair men.

    Harvard, Princeton and MIT all use Linux. Because it's better.

  3. Re: [News] Open Source is Student-ready, Including OpenOffice.org

    ____/ Mark Kent on Friday 26 October 2007 15:24 : \____

    > Adam Baum espoused:
    >>
    >> "Roy Schestowitz" wrote in message
    >>> Tyler Tech: Open-source a software alternative
    >>>
    >>> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>> of
    >>> suite
    >>> and
    >>> `----

    >> So Harvard, Princeton and MIT students use Windows and MS-Office. But "Tyler
    >> Tech" uses Open Office. I guess that'll prepare the students well for their
    >> future jobs as TV repair men.
    >>

    > Harvard, Princeton and MIT all use Linux. Because it's better.

    It's usually the /small/ and obscure colleges that use {everything
    Microsoft}^TM because that's all they know.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | GPL - Global Programmer's Law