Microsoft makes more stabs at wireless

,----[ Quote ]
| Windows on the phone has never matched Windows on the desktop. Can two new
| plans help? Fortune's Stephanie Mehta scrutinizes Microsoft's strategy.
| [...]
| Easier said than done. Globally Microsoft's Windows Mobile operating system
| for so-called "smart phones" remains a market laggard, while the Nokia-backed
| Symbian operating system dominates - particularly in markets such as Japan
| and most of Europe. Meanwhile, it faces stiff competition for corporate users
| with Research in Motion's (Charts) popular Blackberry messaging platform.
| Apple makes a bold wireless land grab
| Yet Microsoft has little choice but to move to the mobile world.

Microsoft's vision for universal mobile platform a little blurred

,----[ Quote ]
| Unfortunately for Microsoft, Windows Mobile is currently not even in the
| second runner in the smartphone operating systems race. Linux, which is
| widely used on mobile devices in China, is second to Symbian with more than
| 13% market share. Windows mobile is a distant third with about 6% share.
`---- ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

After the Desktop -- What?

,----[ Quote ]
| I would suggest that the open source community should stop obsessing
| with the battle for the desktop, and start focusing on the battle for
| the platform that will replace it. As I have said before, the day
| will soon come when the notion of having to go to a particular
| machine on a particular room every time you need access to
| information or computer power will be as obsolete as the notion
| of having to go to the hand pump over the well in the front
| yard every time you need water.

Linux expected to be leading Smartphone OS market by 2010

,----[ Quote ]
| I just came across this research by Diffusion Group, which found
| that Linux is set to become the leading Smartphone OS by 2010.

FEATURE: Mobile Linux: Why it will become the dominant mobile OS

,----[ Quote ]
| I see the mobile Linux wave out in the ocean and am sounding the
| alarm--the mobile Linux tide is rising. Be prepared.

Linux Growth Accelerates with Server Shipments in 4th QTR 2006

,----[ Quote ]