Error with VMware and Ubuntu (Debian) - Linux

This is a discussion on Error with VMware and Ubuntu (Debian) - Linux ; I received this error when I reboot the machine and run VMWare each time (only after reboot)....must be losing it setting. VMWare Workstation is installed, but it has not been (correctly) configured for your running kernel. To (re-) configure it, ...

  1. Error with VMware and Ubuntu (Debian)

    I received this error when I reboot the machine and run VMWare each time
    (only after reboot)....must be losing it setting.

    VMWare Workstation is installed, but it has not been (correctly) configured
    for your running kernel. To (re-) configure it, your system administrator
    must find and run "vmware-config.pl".

    Anyhow, the temporary fix is to run the vmware-config.pl and it runs some
    scripts on its own then it executes fine after that,,,except after the
    machine is rebooted. I think it has something to do with update. Anyhow,
    this is my machine info - Linux kubuntu01 2.6.10-5-686 #1 Thu Mar 24
    14:58:42 GMT 2005 i686 GNU/Linux

    Any ideas on what I need to do to correct it?

  2. Re: Error with VMware and Ubuntu (Debian)

    /root wrote:

    > I received this error when I reboot the machine and run VMWare each time
    > (only after reboot)....must be losing it setting.
    >
    > VMWare Workstation is installed, but it has not been (correctly)
    > configured for your running kernel. To (re-) configure it, your system
    > administrator must find and run "vmware-config.pl".
    >
    > Anyhow, the temporary fix is to run the vmware-config.pl and it runs some
    > scripts on its own then it executes fine after that,,,except after the
    > machine is rebooted. I think it has something to do with update. Anyhow,
    > this is my machine info - Linux kubuntu01 2.6.10-5-686 #1 Thu Mar 24
    > 14:58:42 GMT 2005 i686 GNU/Linux
    >
    > Any ideas on what I need to do to correct it?

    Here was the solution ... can anyone please tell me what's goin on here as
    far as the fix...what did it do?

    1.

    rm /etc/vmware/not_configured if it exists.
    *

    This clears VMware's Not Configured flag so that the next time
    you try to start VMware after you apply this patch you won't have to
    reconfigure first.
    2.

    Find this text in /etc/init.d/vmware (around line 814):
    *

    # See how we were called.
    case "$1" in
    start)

    3.

    Put this text right under those two lines:
    *

    for a in `seq 0 9`; do
    mknod /dev/vmnet$a c 119 $a > /dev/null 2>&1
    done
    mknod /dev/vmmon c 10 165 > /dev/null 2>&1

    4.

    Now run /etc/init.d/vmware start and the program should work again.

+ Reply to Thread