[News] [Rival] Windows Vista's Report Card Doesn't Get Any Better (It's Very Bad) - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] [Rival] Windows Vista's Report Card Doesn't Get Any Better (It's Very Bad) - Linux ; Vista Is Still Plagued by Incompatibilities ,----[ Quote ] | Nine months since its release, lots of hardware and software products still | don't work with Microsoft's operating system, including some that are | certified as Vista compatible. `---- http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,138693/article.html# ...

  1. [News] [Rival] Windows Vista's Report Card Doesn't Get Any Better (It's Very Bad)

    Vista Is Still Plagued by Incompatibilities

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Nine months since its release, lots of hardware and software products still
    | don't work with Microsoft's operating system, including some that are
    | certified as Vista compatible.
    `----

    http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,138693/article.html#

    Related:

    6 months later, a report card on Vista
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | "I can't live in Vista if the software that I use in my life for productivity
    | does not work," said Pirillo, in the third minute of a 52-minute video he
    | posted on YouTube. *
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | He "upgraded," as he called it, back to XP.
    `----

    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070714/...icrosoft_vista

    Allchin's 'Buy a Mac' E-Mail Exposed

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | "I must tell you everything in my soul tells me that we should do
    | what I called plan (b) yesterday. We need a simple fast storage
    | system. LH [Longhorn] is a pig and I don't see any solution to this
    | problem. If we are to rise to the challenge of Linux and Apple, we
    | * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    | need to start taking the lessons of 'scenario, simple, fast' to
    | heart. Jim"
    `----

    http://tinyurl.com/y5cuu6

  2. Re: [News] [Rival] Windows Vista's Report Card Doesn't Get Any Better (It's Very Bad)

    > Vista Is Still Plagued by Incompatibilities
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | Nine months since its release, lots of hardware and software products still
    > | don't work with Microsoft's operating system, including some that are
    > | certified as Vista compatible.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,138693/article.html#

    If you're running Vista and you need a multifunction printer,
    Brother's MFC-5860CN might seem like a great choice. After all, it's
    proudly sold as "Certified for Windows Vista."

    But don't plan on scanning any documents to turn them into digital
    files. The 5860CN is capable of doing that, but the optical character
    recognition software that comes bundled with the printer, PaperPort 9
    from Nuance, isn't Vista compatible. (Brother recommends that Vista
    owners use Microsoft Office's Document Imaging feature.) And
    the printer's Internet fax option? Forget about that, too. It works
    with XP, but not Vista.

    "But, but, I don't /have/ Microsoft Office!"

    This kind of Vista support, says Jim McGregor, research director at
    market research firm In-Stat, is more like torture by small
    incompatibilities.

    Pecked to death by ducks.

    Consider the plight of Adobe Photoshop CS2 users who have upgraded to
    Vista. That software still isn't fully compatible with the new
    operating system. Adobe Photoshop CS2 customers have been asking
    Adobe for a software compatibility upgrade without much luck, Swenson
    says. "If you want Vista and you use Adobe CS, you are going to have
    to buy the new CS3 version," Swenson says. Adobe CS3 ($649) is the
    only version fully compatible with Vista. Upgrading from CS2 to CS3
    costs $200.

    Only a monopoly can survive this kind of debacle.

+ Reply to Thread