[News] Two More Steps Towards Freedom: GNU Classpath and Open/Free BIOS - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Two More Steps Towards Freedom: GNU Classpath and Open/Free BIOS - Linux ; GNU Project Releases Latest Version of GNU Classpath ,----[ Quote | Incorporates new experimental GStreamer peer `---- http://java.sys-con.com/read/447320_p.htm LinuxBIOS Brings Clones One Step Closer to Freedom ,----[ Quote ] | Even if you don't care about the openness of your ...

  1. [News] Two More Steps Towards Freedom: GNU Classpath and Open/Free BIOS

    `----

    http://java.sys-con.com/read/447320_p.htm

    LinuxBIOS Brings Clones One Step Closer to Freedom

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Even if you don't care about the openness of your system BIOS, you might be
    | concerned about its inflexibility and legacy baggage. The x86 BIOS still
    | thinks it's supporting MS-DOS and performs a number of tasks, such as probing
    | hardware and loading drivers, that modern operating systems (including Linux
    | and Windows) now handle better, faster and with a lot more flexibility and
    | user control. This can take 30-50 seconds. The operating system ignores what
    | the BIOS does and then re-runs the same tasks. Newer PCs shortcut this with
    | the "fast boot" setting, which skips most of the usual steps and gets to a
    | boot prompt in about ten seconds.
    `----

    http://www.enterprisenetworkingplane...le.php/3706881

    Last night:

    An Open-Source BIOS For ATI GPUs?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Mark Shuttleworth would also like to see everything down to the device's
    | firmware being free software. The steps Oliver is taking at this point is to
    | examine the AtomBIOS parser, which is open-source as part of the RadeonHD
    | driver (a partial explanation of AtomBIOS). *
    `----

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item&px=NjE0NQ

    Related:

    LinuxBIOS ready to go mainstream

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | LinuxBIOS is intended to provide a philosophically free replacement
    | for proprietary firmware in chipsets.
    `----

    http://enterprise.linux.com/article....99208&from=rss

  2. Re: [News] Two More Steps Towards Freedom: GNU Classpath and Open/Free BIOS

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > LinuxBIOS Brings Clones One Step Closer to Freedom
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | Even if you don't care about the openness of your system BIOS, you might
    > | be concerned about its inflexibility and legacy baggage. The x86 BIOS
    > | still thinks it's supporting MS-DOS and performs a number of tasks, such
    > | as probing hardware and loading drivers, that modern operating systems
    > | (including Linux and Windows) now handle better, faster and with a lot
    > | more flexibility and user control. This can take 30-50 seconds. The
    > | operating system ignores what the BIOS does and then re-runs the same
    > | tasks. Newer PCs shortcut this with the "fast boot" setting, which skips
    > | most of the usual steps and gets to a boot prompt in about ten seconds.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.enterprisenetworkingplane...le.php/3706881

    Roy,

    I really appreciate this posting. I'd probably have missed it on my own.
    This is really some fantastic news as I have wondered why the post on most
    new computers still takes as long as it did during the old days.

    I've got a new amd64x2 that takes as long to post as an old 550Mhz k6 that I
    have also. It's a hopeful move, LinuxBios is the right way to go.

    --

    Jerry McBride

  3. Re: [News] Two More Steps Towards Freedom: GNU Classpath and Open/Free BIOS

    ____/ [H]omer on Wednesday 24 October 2007 23:39 : \____

    > Verily I say unto thee, that Jerry McBride spake thusly:
    >> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>
    >>> LinuxBIOS Brings Clones One Step Closer to Freedom

    > [...]
    >> I really appreciate this posting. I'd probably have missed it on my
    >> own. This is really some fantastic news as I have wondered why the
    >> post on most new computers still takes as long as it did during the
    >> old days.
    >>
    >> I've got a new amd64x2 that takes as long to post as an old 550Mhz k6
    >> that I have also. It's a hopeful move, LinuxBios is the right way to
    >> go.

    > There's also the upcoming trend of embedding GNU/Linux into the mobo.
    > Combined with LinuxBIOS this means a very fast and legacy-free system.

    Yes, I thought about including a reference to that ASUS board. 5 seconds to
    boot, IIRC.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    This sedentary lifestyle on the Net leads to fatigue. And then you wake up.

  4. Re: [News] Two More Steps Towards Freedom: GNU Classpath and Open/Free BIOS

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    > ____/ [H]omer on Wednesday 24 October 2007 23:39 : \____
    >
    >> Verily I say unto thee, that Jerry McBride spake thusly:

    >> [...]
    >>> I really appreciate this posting. I'd probably have missed it on my
    >>> own. This is really some fantastic news as I have wondered why the
    >>> post on most new computers still takes as long as it did during the
    >>> old days.
    >>>
    >>> I've got a new amd64x2 that takes as long to post as an old 550Mhz k6
    >>> that I have also. It's a hopeful move, LinuxBios is the right way to
    >>> go.

    >> There's also the upcoming trend of embedding GNU/Linux into the mobo.
    >> Combined with LinuxBIOS this means a very fast and legacy-free system.

    > Yes, I thought about including a reference to that ASUS board. 5 seconds to
    > boot, IIRC.

    That's a very good time indeed! Unfortunately, monopolies do tend to
    stifle innovation and creativity. Hopefully, we're heading for the end
    of the Microsoft monopoly in this area, although it'll be a long time in
    collapsing, of course.