Re: [News] The Telegraph Gives Linux a Spot - Linux

This is a discussion on Re: [News] The Telegraph Gives Linux a Spot - Linux ; ____/ [H]omer on Wednesday 24 October 2007 10:58 : \____ > Verily I say unto thee, that Roy Schestowitz spake thusly: > >> Bootcamp 497: Ten uses for an old PC, part 2 > [...] >> http://www.telegraph.co.uk/connected.../ecrboot22.xml > > Actually ...

  1. Re: [News] The Telegraph Gives Linux a Spot

    http://www.guardian.co.uk/environmen...fclimatechange

    > Then of course, there's this:
    >

    > A Gibbon beats Leopard
    >
    > .----
    > | But Ubuntu just worked. The install, disk partitioning and boot
    > | manager were straight forward. The package and update managers
    > | handle all of the dependencies
    > `----
    >
    > http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/technolo...s_leopard.html
    >

    > Yes, the Guardian is definitely turning out to be my favourite news
    > provider ... well next to the P&J, anyway.
    >
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Press_a...%28Scotland%29

    Ironically, it's the BBC that goes the other way (and guess who pays for it?).
    I only syndicate the science and technology section of the BBC's Web site and
    the presence of Microsoft there is disgusting. If Google is mentioned there,
    it's often in negative context. Linux? Barely a mention. That's the effect of
    having colleagues from Microsoft at lunch.

    See this article:

    http://rcpmag.com/features/article.a...itorialsid=741

    Repulsive. Microsoft is like the government of China, even in-house. It's like
    a cult. Please do follow the link. You'll be amazed and disgusted at the same
    time.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | "Beauty is in the eye of the beerholder"
    11:05:04 up 7 days, 19:50, 3 users, load average: 1.47, 1.42, 1.60

  2. Re: [News] The Telegraph Gives Linux a Spot

    ____/ [H]omer on Wednesday 24 October 2007 13:23 : \____

    >> See this article:
    >>
    >> http://rcpmag.com/features/article.a...itorialsid=741
    >>
    >> Repulsive. Microsoft is like the government of China, even in-house.
    >> It's like a cult. Please do follow the link. You'll be amazed and
    >> disgusted at the same time.

    > Seen it before; the guide to what is permissible to say to the Vole.
    >
    > As you say, repulsive.

    Not a real story, but relevant nonetheless:

    Microsoft's Future Former CEO Throws Tables During Interview

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | "I was shocked to the point that I passed a wee bit of a toot. It made me
    | feel not-so-fresh for the remainder of the interview," Blanston recalled.
    |
    | When asked about his choice of internet platforms, Ballmer mentioned that the
    | browser came pre-loaded on his Dell Laptop and he couldn't figure out how to
    | uninstall it, change the homepage, or find where IE was.
    |
    | Realizing the conundrum he was in after Blanston snickered, Ballmer quickly
    | became "overly emotional, like a chick I used to date" according to the
    | interviewer. "He told me to shut the hell up or he'd 'beat my hippie ass'."
    |
    | Ballmer has described Blanston's account of the incident as a "gross
    | exaggeration of what actually took place."
    `----

    http://www.theagencyblog.com/2007/08...html?digg=digg

    Timely:

    Behavior May Suggest We're Not Only Human

    ,----[ Quote ]
    `----

    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...nav=rss_nation

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ballmer#Public_persona

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Useless fact: Sharks are immune to cancer
    run-level 2 2007-10-16 15:14 last=

  3. Re: [News] The Telegraph Gives Linux a Spot

    [H]omer wrote:

    >> See this article:
    >>
    >> http://rcpmag.com/features/article.a...itorialsid=741
    >>
    >> Repulsive. Microsoft is like the government of China, even in-house.
    >> It's like a cult. Please do follow the link. You'll be amazed and
    >> disgusted at the same time.

    > Seen it before; the guide to what is permissible to say to the Vole.
    >
    > As you say, repulsive.

    You guys are so utterly clueless it's amazing.

    That's an article about how to suck-up and get the best results when meeting
    with or partnering with Microsoft. Similar "rules" apply when meeting with
    any big company: know the corporate culture, praise their products, don't
    waste their time, don't expect access to executives, etc.

  4. Re: [News] The Telegraph Gives Linux a Spot

    "DFS" wrote in message
    > [H]omer wrote:
    >>
    >>> See this article:
    >>>
    >>> http://rcpmag.com/features/article.a...itorialsid=741
    >>>
    >>> Repulsive. Microsoft is like the government of China, even in-house.
    >>> It's like a cult. Please do follow the link. You'll be amazed and
    >>> disgusted at the same time.

    >> Seen it before; the guide to what is permissible to say to the Vole.
    >>
    >> As you say, repulsive.

    > You guys are so utterly clueless it's amazing.
    >
    > That's an article about how to suck-up and get the best results when
    > meeting with or partnering with Microsoft. Similar "rules" apply when
    > meeting with any big company: know the corporate culture, praise their
    > products, don't waste their time, don't expect access to executives, etc.

    I doubt these "linux advocates" have ever traveled to big companies and
    attended meetings. These idiots really have no idea how the *real* world
    operates.

  5. Re: [News] The Telegraph Gives Linux a Spot

    Adam Baum espoused:

    > "DFS" wrote in message

    >>> Seen it before; the guide to what is permissible to say to the Vole.
    >>>
    >>> As you say, repulsive.

    >> You guys are so utterly clueless it's amazing.
    >>
    >> That's an article about how to suck-up and get the best results when
    >> meeting with or partnering with Microsoft. Similar "rules" apply when
    >> meeting with any big company: know the corporate culture, praise their
    >> products, don't waste their time, don't expect access to executives, etc.

    > I doubt these "linux advocates" have ever traveled to big companies and
    > attended meetings. These idiots really have no idea how the *real* world
    > operates.

    Actually, quite a lot of us are quite senior in some of the world's
    largest companies. That's how we *know* how the real world operates,
    because we *are* it.

  6. Re: [News] The Telegraph Gives Linux a Spot

    "Mark Kent" wrote in message
    > Adam Baum espoused:
    >>
    >> "DFS" wrote in message

    >>> You guys are so utterly clueless it's amazing.
    >>>
    >>> That's an article about how to suck-up and get the best results when
    >>> meeting with or partnering with Microsoft. Similar "rules" apply when
    >>> meeting with any big company: know the corporate culture, praise their
    >>> products, don't waste their time, don't expect access to executives,
    >>> etc.

    >> I doubt these "linux advocates" have ever traveled to big companies and
    >> attended meetings. These idiots really have no idea how the *real* world
    >> operates.
    >>

    > Actually, quite a lot of us are quite senior in some of the world's
    > largest companies. That's how we *know* how the real world operates,
    > because we *are* it.

    Good for you. Now answer me this. If you were having lunch with execs from
    say "Cadbury Schweppes" and they all ordered Schweppes brand drinks would
    you order a Pepsi and drink it during the lunch meeting?

    Or if you were having a meeting with execs from the Liverpool football team
    would you have a "Manchester United" pin on your jacket? (Or vice-versa)

    Or if you used "Orange" as your cell phone provider would make this known
    during a meeting with execs from British Telecom if you were vying for their
    business?

    Well this is precisely the scenario the article covered when meeting with
    Microsoft. Hint... if you're visiting Microsoft and are trying to do
    business with them you don't show up with a linux laptop and connect to
    Google to run a search. It should be common sense but that's not always
    [Doh]mers forte'.

  7. Re: [News] The Telegraph Gives Linux a Spot

    Adam Baum espoused:

    > "Mark Kent" wrote in message
    >> Adam Baum espoused:
    >>>
    >>> "DFS" wrote in message

    >>> I doubt these "linux advocates" have ever traveled to big companies and
    >>> attended meetings. These idiots really have no idea how the *real* world
    >>> operates.
    >>>

    >> Actually, quite a lot of us are quite senior in some of the world's
    >> largest companies. That's how we *know* how the real world operates,
    >> because we *are* it.
    >>

    > Good for you. Now answer me this. If you were having lunch with execs from
    > say "Cadbury Schweppes" and they all ordered Schweppes brand drinks would
    > you order a Pepsi and drink it during the lunch meeting?

    I don't drink sugary pop - it's for children. I might drink tea, or
    coffee, or beer, or wine, but never pop. Nor would I lie about what I
    like, because I'm an honest person, which is why I'm good to do business
    with.

    > Or if you were having a meeting with execs from the Liverpool football team
    > would you have a "Manchester United" pin on your jacket? (Or vice-versa)

    I would be quite happy to point out that I'm a Leeds supporter myself.
    I would not lie to people I'm trying to do business with.

    > Or if you used "Orange" as your cell phone provider would make this known
    > during a meeting with execs from British Telecom if you were vying for their
    > business?

    BT doesn't do mobile phones, does it? Your research seems lacking.

    > Well this is precisely the scenario the article covered when meeting with
    > Microsoft. Hint... if you're visiting Microsoft and are trying to do
    > business with them you don't show up with a linux laptop and connect to
    > Google to run a search. It should be common sense but that's not always
    > [Doh]mers forte'.

    Sounds like brown-necking is the way you do things. I don't, and what's
    more, I can't stand brown-neckers, and would *never* buy something from
    them, because I don't trust them. They lie about everything in order to
    achieve what they want to achieve, just like the list you've put up
    above, and yet, they're so easy to track down.

    I do *not* buy from bullsh1tters. Ever.

    So, my "hint" for you - don't lie - you *always* get found out, and it
    always poisons business relationships.

  8. Re: [News] The Telegraph Gives Linux a Spot

    [H]omer espoused:
    > Verily I say unto thee, that Mark Kent spake thusly:
    >> Adam Baum espoused:

    >>> Or if you were having a meeting with execs from the Liverpool
    >>> football team would you have a "Manchester United" pin on your
    >>> jacket? (Or vice-versa)

    >> I would be quite happy to point out that I'm a Leeds supporter
    >> myself. I would not lie to people I'm trying to do business with.

    > The kind of "business" that our friendly Troll engages in no doubt
    > /requires/ dishonesty. He must be used to dealing with Microsoft and
    > other crime syndicates.

    Myself and colleagues have inumerable supplier meetings. We can always
    spot within a moment when we're being lied to. Smart sales guys don't
    try to sell to us at all... they approach things quite differently.

    Equally, I do not lie to our customers. It's never worth it, and they
    inevitably find out.

    As you say, the previous posting by OP just illustrates the kind of
    dishonest world he lives in. This isn't even about proprietary or open,
    it's a more fundamental question about morals and values.

  9. Re: [News] The Telegraph Gives Linux a Spot

    Mark Kent wrote:

    > Equally, I do not lie to our customers. It's never worth it, and they
    > inevitably find out.

    Then you behave differently in real life than you do here. And that's
    because in real life there can be serious consequences to your lying - here
    you can just plonk everyone who reminds you what a liar you are.

+ Reply to Thread