[News] [Rights] Comcast Targetted by EEF for Breaking the Law and Fighting Free Culture, Software, Networked Apps - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] [Rights] Comcast Targetted by EEF for Breaking the Law and Fighting Free Culture, Software, Networked Apps - Linux ; Comcast to face lawsuits over BitTorrent filtering ,----[ Quote ] | With regard to Comcast's legal liability, von Lohmann said that he could not | comment as he had not yet had a chance to review the New York anti ...

  1. [News] [Rights] Comcast Targetted by EEF for Breaking the Law and Fighting Free Culture, Software, Networked Apps

    Comcast to face lawsuits over BitTorrent filtering

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | With regard to Comcast's legal liability, von Lohmann said that he could not
    | comment as he had not yet had a chance to review the New York anti criminal
    | impersonation laws
    `----

    http://www.cnet.com/8301-13739_1-980...?tag=nefd.blgs

    Finally. Comcast plays for the Big Companies amid a transition in power and
    distribution:

    Free Culture Manifesto

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The mission of the Free Culture movement is to build a bottom-up,
    | participatory structure to society and culture, rather than a top-down,
    | closed, proprietary structure. Through the democratizing power of digital
    | technology and the Internet, we can place the tools of creation and
    | distribution, communication and collaboration, teaching and learning into the
    | hands of the common person — and with a truly active, connected, informed
    | citizenry, injustice and oppression will slowly but surely vanish from the
    | earth.
    `----

    http://ctkennedy.wordpress.com/2007/...ure-manifesto/

    Related:

    Is Comcast's BitTorrent filtering violating the law?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Assuming that the SYN packet goes through, the three-way handshake is allowed
    | to happen, then the two hosts will be able to begin communicating. Your ISP
    | can still kill the connection later, should they wish to, merely by blocking
    | the transmission of future packets.
    |
    | According to Torrent Freak, Comcast is not doing this. They are instead
    | sending a reset (or RST) packet to the Comcast customer, pretending to be
    | from the host at the end of the BitTorrent connection.
    `----

    http://www.cnet.com/8301-13739_1-9769645-46.html

    Comcast traffic blocking: even more apps, groupware clients affected

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Even if you accept the argument that all P2P traffic is inherently evil, and
    | that Comcast has the right to disrupt it in order to put a stop to copyright
    | infringement, Comcast's traffic-shaping efforts have apparently extended
    | beyond the realm of P2P and into good old enterprise groupware. Kevin *
    | Kanarski, who works as a Lotus Notes messaging engineer, noticed some strange
    | behavior with Lotus Notes when hooked up to a Comcast connection last month. * *
    `----

    http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...-affected.html

    Comcast: We’re Delaying, Not Blocking, BitTorrent Traffic

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The executive declined to talk in detail about the technology, citing
    | spammers or other miscreants who might exploit that knowledge.
    `----

    http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/1...rrent-traffic/

    Comcast Cuts Off Heavy Internet Users

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Customers complain bandwidth limits are secret.
    `----

    http://consumeraffairs.com/news04/20...ban.html?imw=Y

    Torrentspy Disables Searching For US IPs

    | Torrent indexing site Torrentspy.com appears to have disabled torrent
    | searches for IPs that originate in the United States.
    `----

    http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=0...41244&from=rss

    Comcast Throttles BitTorrent Traffic, Seeding Impossible

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Over the past weeks more and more Comcast users started to notice that their
    | BitTorrent transfers were cut off. Most users report a significant decrease
    | in download speeds, and even worse, they are unable to seed their downloads.
    | A nightmare for people who want to keep up a positive ratio at private
    | trackers and for the speed of BitTorrent transfers in general. * *
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | Last year we had a discussion whether traffic shaping is good or bad, and
    | ISPs made it pretty clear that they do not like P2P applications like
    | BitTorrent. One of the ISPs that joined our discussions said: “The fact is,
    | P2P is (from my point of view) a plague - a cancer, that will consume all the
    | bandwidth that I can provide. It’s an insatiable appetite.”, and another one
    | stated: “P2P applications can cripple a network, they’re like leaches. Just
    | because you pay 49.99 for a 1.5-3.0mbps connection doesn’t mean your entitled
    | to use whatever protocols you wish on your ISP’s network without them
    | provisioning it to make the network experience good for all users involved.” * * * *
    `----

    http://torrentfreak.com/comcast-thro...ng-impossible/

  2. Re: [News] [Rights] Comcast Targetted by EEF for Breaking the Law and Fighting Free Culture, Software, Networked Apps

    ____/ [H]omer on Wednesday 24 October 2007 13:39 : \____

    >> Comcast to face lawsuits over BitTorrent filtering
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >> | With regard to Comcast's legal liability, von Lohmann said that
    >> | he could not comment as he had not yet had a chance to review the
    >> | New York anti criminal impersonation laws
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://www.cnet.com/8301-13739_1-980...?tag=nefd.blgs

    > This bit cracks me up:
    >
    > .----
    > | On the subject of why the filtering is done networkwide and not
    > | just to individual bandwidth hogs: "Comcast (doesn't) throttle on a
    > | user-by-user basis rather than a protocol-by-protocol basis, (as
    > | the company is) concerned with the privacy implications of that
    > | approach." Thats right folks, Comcast will sell network wiretaps to
    > | the feds for $1,000 a pop, but won't calculate a user's total
    > | bandwidth per month for "privacy reasons."
    > `----
    >
    > To which I can only respond with a hearty LOL!

    I sent some of these articles to my cousin in Florida because he has been with
    Comcast for many years. He tells me he's too deep in. Sounds like the AOL
    scheme, which other cousins of mine have been a victim of since the last
    decade when I was there. 8 years later and they still say the same thing...
    I'm done with AOL... it never happens. These ISPs and telecoms are just as
    corrupt as the software companies and chipmakers. Dubya seems to like 'em
    though, so he won't lift a finger (unless it's for them to suck on).

    AT&T admits it censored other bands

    | It looks like Pearl Jam isn't the only band that has had its politically
    | charged comments bleeped from concerts streamed from AT&T's Blue Room Web
    | site. *
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | AT&T quickly apologized for the incident and blamed the company that handles
    | the Webcasting for performances on Blue Room.
    `----

    http://news.com.com/8301-10784_3-975...=2547-1_3-0-20

    Yup. Criticism of Dubya's policies was bleeped by AT&T.

    For one company, FISA wiretaps carry a $1K pricetag

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Although the scope of surveillance conducted under the Foreign Intelligence
    | Surveillance Act remains shrouded in secrecy, newly disclosed documents show
    | the costs one company charges the government to eavesdrop on customers. *
    `----

    http://rawstory.com/news/2007/For_on...arry_1016.html

    Comcast Is Pretending to be You

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | This AP story makes clear that Comcast is pretending to be part of online
    | conversations in order to frustrate users who want to use particular online
    | applications. *
    `----

    http://scrawford.net/blog/comcast-is...o-be-you/1031/

    Cute. Isn't that love? One feeds the arms companies, another one keeps the
    bands quiet. Pearly feeds journalists (cash infusions for media companies)
    and 'charity' for governments that seek software independence.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | "I think I think, therefore I think I am"