Crusoe - Linux

This is a discussion on Crusoe - Linux ; Hi I just installed Ubuntu 7.10 on my ageing Fujitsu Lifebook P2120. I was hoping to use if for my wife as a platform for Firefox only.,... so just for browsing and (G)mail and (Google) docs. But I discover it ...

  1. Crusoe

    Hi

    I just installed Ubuntu 7.10 on my ageing Fujitsu Lifebook P2120. I
    was hoping to use if for my wife as a platform for Firefox only.,...
    so just for browsing and (G)mail and (Google) docs.

    But I discover it is painfully slow. A lot slower than even WIndows
    XP.

    Googling reveals that I would have to recompile the kernel (?) to get
    any kind of speed, because i386 Ubuntu doesn't run well on the Crusoe.

    Is there a (user-friendly) distribution (I am not a nerd) that
    supports the Crusoe chip?

    Rgds

    Martin

  2. Re: Crusoe

    ____/ MartinDC on Wednesday 24 October 2007 09:40 : \____

    > Hi
    >
    > I just installed Ubuntu 7.10 on my ageing Fujitsu Lifebook P2120. I
    > was hoping to use if for my wife as a platform for Firefox only.,...
    > so just for browsing and (G)mail and (Google) docs.
    >
    > But I discover it is painfully slow. A lot slower than even WIndows
    > XP.
    >
    > Googling reveals that I would have to recompile the kernel (?) to get
    > any kind of speed, because i386 Ubuntu doesn't run well on the Crusoe.
    >
    > Is there a (user-friendly) distribution (I am not a nerd) that
    > supports the Crusoe chip?
    >
    > Rgds
    >
    > Martin

    I can see some instructions < http://tuxmobil.org/cpu_transmeta.html > for many
    platforms and discussions about performance <
    http://uwsg.indiana.edu/hypermail/li...06.2/1764.html ,
    http://www.uwsg.iu.edu/hypermail/lin...05.3/0046.html >,

    Not much coming up here:

    http://www.google.com/search?num=50&...ed&btnG=Search

    I'd probably recommend Gentoo Linux (easy to compile for maximisation of
    performance on your platforms), but it's more geek-oriented than most.

    I'm giving you the URLs above, but I'll admit there's no good answer in this
    post. Maybe others know better...

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Free 3-D Reversi: http://othellomaster.com
    10:20:01 up 7 days, 19:05, 3 users, load average: 1.08, 1.78, 2.01

  3. Re: Crusoe

    MartinDC wrote:

    > Is there a (user-friendly) distribution (I am not a nerd) that supports the Crusoe chip?

    This one will run on 16MB ..

    http://damnsmalllinux.org/

    http://www.linux-on-laptops.com/fujitsu.html

  4. Re: Crusoe

    On Wed, 24 Oct 2007 08:40:20 -0000, MartinDC wrote:

    > But I discover it is painfully slow. A lot slower than even WIndows
    > XP.
    >
    > Googling reveals that I would have to recompile the kernel (?) to get
    > any kind of speed, because i386 Ubuntu doesn't run well on the Crusoe.

    That's kind of strange, considering that Linus worked for Transmeta for a
    long time.

  5. Re: Crusoe

    On Oct 24, 6:14 pm, Erik Funkenbusch
    wrote:
    > On Wed, 24 Oct 2007 08:40:20 -0000, MartinDC wrote:
    > > But I discover it is painfully slow. A lot slower than even WIndows
    > > XP.

    > > Googling reveals that I would have to recompile the kernel (?) to get
    > > any kind of speed, because i386 Ubuntu doesn't run well on the Crusoe.

    > That's kind of strange, considering that Linus worked for Transmeta for a
    > long time.

    It works, but is ten times slower than WIndows XP... and that CAN'T be
    right

    Rgds

    Martin

  6. Re: Crusoe

    On Oct 24, 11:59 am, Doug Mentohl wrote:
    > MartinDC wrote:
    > > Is there a (user-friendly) distribution (I am not a nerd) that supports the Crusoe chip?

    > This one will run on 16MB ..
    >
    > http://damnsmalllinux.org/
    >
    > http://www.linux-on-laptops.com/fujitsu.html

    I have plenty of memory, it's just that Ubuntu runs real slow on a
    Crusoe

    Martin

+ Reply to Thread