Re: [News] The MSBBC Corruption: A 'Smoking Gun' - Linux

This is a discussion on Re: [News] The MSBBC Corruption: A 'Smoking Gun' - Linux ; On Wed, 24 Oct 2007 09:19:10 +0100, [H]omer wrote: > Verily I say unto thee, that Roy Schestowitz spake thusly: > >> Interview with Mark Taylor, Pres. of UK Open Source Consortium, by >> Sean Daly > [...] >> http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?s...71021231933899 ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 77

  1. Re: [News] The MSBBC Corruption: A 'Smoking Gun'

    On Wed, 24 Oct 2007 09:19:10 +0100, [H]omer wrote:

    >> Interview with Mark Taylor, Pres. of UK Open Source Consortium, by
    >> Sean Daly

    > [...]
    >> http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?s...71021231933899

    > Not only has MS annexed the Beeb, but they've contributed to it's
    > virtual destruction (lay-offs, cutbacks, relocation). Microsoft is a

    Do you have *any* proof of thatr nonsense?

    --
    Kier

  2. Re: [News] The MSBBC Corruption: A 'Smoking Gun'

    ____/ Kier on Wednesday 24 October 2007 09:23 : \____

    > On Wed, 24 Oct 2007 09:19:10 +0100, [H]omer wrote:

    >>> Interview with Mark Taylor, Pres. of UK Open Source Consortium, by
    >>> Sean Daly

    >> [...]
    >>> http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?s...71021231933899

    >> Not only has MS annexed the Beeb, but they've contributed to it's
    >> virtual destruction (lay-offs, cutbacks, relocation). Microsoft is a

    > Do you have *any* proof of thatr nonsense?

    Cause (mind the highlight):

    Anti-DRM Protesters call on the BBC to eliminate DRM from the iPlayer

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | London and Manchester, England – Two weeks after the BBC officially launched
    | the iPlayer, protesters wearing bright yellow Hazmat suits gathered outside
    | BBC Television Center in London and BBC headquarters in Manchester to demand
    | that Digital Restrictions Management (DRM) be eliminated from the BBC. *
    |
    | The BBC have developed the "iPlayer" at a cost to the BBC license fee payer
    | of £130 Million and rising
    | * *^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ . *
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | FSF Executive Director attending the protest spoke about the corrupting
    | influence of Microsoft, "BBC values have been corrupted because BBC
    | Executives are too closely associated with Microsoft. BBC values have been
    | corrupted because the iPlayer uses proprietary software and standards made
    | under an exclusive deal with Microsoft. BBC values have been corrupted
    | because license fee payers must now own a Microsoft operating system to
    | download BBC programming. BBC values have been corrupted because license fee
    | payers must accept DRM technologies that spy and monitor on the digital files
    | held on their computers. We are here today to help BBC Director General Mark
    | Thompson, clean up this DRM mess, and to encourage the BBC Trust to reverse
    | course and eliminate DRM from the BBC iPlayer" * * * * *
    `----

    http://www.linuxelectrons.com/news/g...te-drm-iplayer

    And effect:

    BBC sacks 2,500 skilled staff

    ,----[ Quote ]
    `----

    http://rss1.mediafed.com/feed/vnunet...8c7e07d8099313

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | "Oops. My brain just hit a bad sector"
    Mem: 515500k total, 447100k used, 68400k free, 660k buffers

  3. Re: [News] The MSBBC Corruption: A 'Smoking Gun'

    On Wed, 24 Oct 2007 10:30:01 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > ____/ Kier on Wednesday 24 October 2007 09:23 : \____

    >>> [...]
    >>>
    >>> Not only has MS annexed the Beeb, but they've contributed to it's
    >>> virtual destruction (lay-offs, cutbacks, relocation). Microsoft is a

    >> Do you have *any* proof of thatr nonsense?

    > Cause (mind the highlight):
    >
    > Anti-DRM Protesters call on the BBC to eliminate DRM from the iPlayer

    > And effect:
    >
    > BBC sacks 2,500 skilled staff

    Not proof, and certainly not direct cause and effect, no matter how you'd
    like to swing it that way.

    The licence fee hasn't gone up enough in real terms. That's the
    cause. MS had little or nothing to do with it (the BBC has many other
    expensive committments). It's time to stop blaming MS for everything and
    look at the real problems.

    --
    Kier

    --
    Kier

  4. Re: [News] The MSBBC Corruption: A 'Smoking Gun'

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > ____/ Kier on Wednesday 24 October 2007 09:23 : \____

    >>> [...]
    >>>
    >>> Not only has MS annexed the Beeb, but they've contributed to it's
    >>> virtual destruction (lay-offs, cutbacks, relocation). Microsoft is a

    >> Do you have *any* proof of thatr nonsense?

    I suppose he thinks that this waste of licence payers fees didn't contribute
    to it either? As I posted before:-

    How much did they pay to M$ for iPlayer? I saw somewhere it was
    approximately £200 million, though I can't find teh link ATM.

    There was £90million lost here:
    http://media.guardian.co.uk/broadcas...122369,00.html

    And how much was wasted here?
    http://www.ukfree.tv/fullstory.php?storyid=1107051166

    The BBC has a £2 *billion* shortfall in it's budget, & thus is making
    cutbacks which include selling off the BBC Television Centre.
    http://itn.co.uk/news/fbfadf1f215d2d...163cfd804.html

    Now if Kier doesn't think those losses are a *huge* chunk out of the BBC's
    budget.....or maybe he doesn't believe they *are* losses.

    > Cause (mind the highlight):
    >
    > Anti-DRM Protesters call on the BBC to eliminate DRM from the iPlayer
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | London and Manchester, England – Two weeks after the BBC officially
    > | launched the iPlayer, protesters wearing bright yellow Hazmat suits
    > | gathered outside BBC Television Center in London and BBC headquarters in
    > | Manchester to demand that Digital Restrictions Management (DRM) be
    > | eliminated from the BBC.
    > |
    > | The BBC have developed the "iPlayer" at a cost to the BBC license fee
    > | payer of £130 Million and rising
    > | ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ .
    > |
    > | [...]
    > |
    > | FSF Executive Director attending the protest spoke about the corrupting
    > | influence of Microsoft, "BBC values have been corrupted because BBC
    > | Executives are too closely associated with Microsoft. BBC values have
    > | been corrupted because the iPlayer uses proprietary software and
    > | standards made under an exclusive deal with Microsoft. BBC values have
    > | been corrupted because license fee payers must now own a Microsoft
    > | operating system to download BBC programming. BBC values have been
    > | corrupted because license fee payers must accept DRM technologies that
    > | spy and monitor on the digital files held on their computers. We are
    > | here today to help BBC Director General Mark Thompson, clean up this DRM
    > | mess, and to encourage the BBC Trust to reverse course and eliminate DRM
    > | from the BBC iPlayer"
    > `----

    http://www.linuxelectrons.com/news/g...te-drm-iplayer

    > And effect:
    >
    > BBC sacks 2,500 skilled staff
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | Jeremy Dear, general secretary of the NUJ, told a BBC hack who was
    > | clearing his desk: "Nothing said today reassures us that the BBC is
    > | committed to meaningful negotiations over the change. Unless the BBC
    > | reconsiders its position, strike action looks inevitable."
    > `----

    http://rss1.mediafed.com/feed/vnunet...8c7e07d8099313

    --
    Operating systems: FreeBSD 6.2, PC-BSD 1.4,
    Testing: FreeBSD 7.0

  5. Re: [News] The MSBBC Corruption: A 'Smoking Gun'

    ____/ Kier on Wednesday 24 October 2007 12:21 : \____

    >> Again, first-class corruption. Microsoft is part of a phenomenon and a
    >> pattern. It is not the problem, but part of the problem. Being part of the
    >> problem is still being a problem, no matter how you think about it.

    > A much smaller part than you would like to make it seem, however.

    The BBC is more guilty here for allowing this to happen, but let's remember who
    calls the shots now in the (MS)BBC. It's Trojan horse... Microsoft calls it
    the 'ecosystem', but it's a radius of religion-like influence, kickbacks,
    and 'protection'.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | "Quote when replying in non-real-time dialogues"
    13:05:05 up 7 days, 21:50, 3 users, load average: 2.21, 2.17, 2.07

  6. Re: [News] The MSBBC Corruption: A 'Smoking Gun'

    "Roy Schestowitz" wrote in message
    > ____/ Kier on Wednesday 24 October 2007 09:23 : \____

    >>> [...]
    >>>
    >>> Not only has MS annexed the Beeb, but they've contributed to it's
    >>> virtual destruction (lay-offs, cutbacks, relocation). Microsoft is a

    >> Do you have *any* proof of thatr nonsense?

    > Cause (mind the highlight):
    >
    > Anti-DRM Protesters call on the BBC to eliminate DRM from the iPlayer
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | London and Manchester, England - Two weeks after the BBC officially
    > launched
    > | the iPlayer, protesters wearing bright yellow Hazmat suits gathered
    > outside
    > | BBC Television Center in London and BBC headquarters in Manchester to
    > demand
    > | that Digital Restrictions Management (DRM) be eliminated from the BBC.
    > |
    > | The BBC have developed the "iPlayer" at a cost to the BBC license fee
    > payer
    > | of 130 Million and rising
    > | ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ .

    So if the BBC used linux it would all be free? Not a dollar would be spent
    to implent their entire system? Not a single consultant or contractor would
    need to be hired and everything would just magically work.

    Absolutely "unbelievable".

  7. Re: [News] The MSBBC Corruption: A 'Smoking Gun'

    [H]omer wrote:
    >> ____/ Kier on Wednesday 24 October 2007 11:09 : \____

    >>> It's time to stop blaming MS for everything

    > Another fine post from Kier the "Linux advocate", who spends his time
    > feeding the Trolls, and apologising for Microsoft and its supporters.
    >
    > Well congratulations, you are no longer simply a Troll feeder IMO, you
    > are now an actual Troll. If you are so in love with Sweaty Ballmer and
    > his violently destructive company, then why don't you piss off to
    > Windows la-la land, and stop criticising every damn word that anyone
    > dares to use against the Microsoft crime syndicate?
    >
    > Go on, let's hear some more apologies and excuses for Microsoft. It's
    > what you're good at.

    This is a totally unjustified attack, and full of lies too. Kier has never
    once apologized for or excused Microsoft (even I rarely do that). He just
    wants cola "advocates" to act like adults, but it's never gonna happen with
    morons like Roy [H]omer Kent shrieking about MS all day and night.

    This thread is a perfect example of the kind of idiocy that passes for Linux
    advocacy on cola: claim MS has "corrupted" (whatever that means) the BBC,
    and offer nothing but bogus conspiracy theories as support. No reputable
    person would ever make such a stupid claim without proof. In the real
    world, these kinds of accusations get people fired when they're proven
    false.

  8. Re: [News] The MSBBC Corruption: A 'Smoking Gun'

    On Wed, 24 Oct 2007 13:10:29 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > ____/ Kier on Wednesday 24 October 2007 12:21 : \____
    >
    >>> Again, first-class corruption. Microsoft is part of a phenomenon and a
    >>> pattern. It is not the problem, but part of the problem. Being part of the
    >>> problem is still being a problem, no matter how you think about it.

    >> A much smaller part than you would like to make it seem, however.

    > The BBC is more guilty here for allowing this to happen, but let's remember who
    > calls the shots now in the (MS)BBC. It's Trojan horse... Microsoft calls it
    > the 'ecosystem', but it's a radius of religion-like influence, kickbacks,
    > and 'protection'.

    And again, you really have no proof of this. IMO, it's bull****. Maybe you
    should loosen that tinfoil hat a bit.

    --
    Kier

  9. Re: [News] The MSBBC Corruption: A 'Smoking Gun'

    ____/ Kier on Wednesday 24 October 2007 22:38 : \____

    > On Wed, 24 Oct 2007 13:10:29 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    >> ____/ Kier on Wednesday 24 October 2007 12:21 : \____

    >>> A much smaller part than you would like to make it seem, however.

    >> The BBC is more guilty here for allowing this to happen, but let's remember
    >> who calls the shots now in the (MS)BBC. It's Trojan horse... Microsoft calls
    >> it the 'ecosystem', but it's a radius of religion-like influence, kickbacks,
    >> and 'protection'.

    > And again, you really have no proof of this. IMO, it's bull****. Maybe you
    > should loosen that tinfoil hat a bit.

    *sigh* Don't be so naive. That's how the world works. It's no case of Alice in
    Wonderland. One just needs to identify the corruption, which is what we do
    here.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    This sedentary lifestyle on the Net leads to fatigue. And then you wake up.

  10. Re: [News] The MSBBC Corruption: A 'Smoking Gun'

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    > ____/ Kier on Wednesday 24 October 2007 12:21 : \____
    >
    >>> Again, first-class corruption. Microsoft is part of a phenomenon and a
    >>> pattern. It is not the problem, but part of the problem. Being part of the
    >>> problem is still being a problem, no matter how you think about it.

    >> A much smaller part than you would like to make it seem, however.

    > The BBC is more guilty here for allowing this to happen, but let's remember who
    > calls the shots now in the (MS)BBC. It's Trojan horse... Microsoft calls it
    > the 'ecosystem', but it's a radius of religion-like influence, kickbacks,
    > and 'protection'.

    Hundreds of millions of pounds paid to Microsoft to do something they
    were already doing, whilst 2,500 people get laid off... only Kier could
    justify that.

  11. Re: [News] The MSBBC Corruption: A 'Smoking Gun'

    William Poaster espoused:
    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    >> ____/ Kier on Wednesday 24 October 2007 09:23 : \____

    >>> Do you have *any* proof of thatr nonsense?

    > I suppose he thinks that this waste of licence payers fees didn't contribute
    > to it either? As I posted before:-
    >
    > How much did they pay to M$ for iPlayer? I saw somewhere it was
    > approximately 200 million, though I can't find teh link ATM.
    >
    > There was 90million lost here:
    > http://media.guardian.co.uk/broadcas...122369,00.html
    >
    > And how much was wasted here?
    > http://www.ukfree.tv/fullstory.php?storyid=1107051166
    >
    > The BBC has a 2 *billion* shortfall in it's budget, & thus is making
    > cutbacks which include selling off the BBC Television Centre.
    > http://itn.co.uk/news/fbfadf1f215d2d...163cfd804.html
    >
    > http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7050122.stm
    >
    > Now if Kier doesn't think those losses are a *huge* chunk out of the BBC's
    > budget.....or maybe he doesn't believe they *are* losses.

    I don't think Kier wants to add it up. He's very very naive, and
    reminds me of the 3 monkeys (see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil).

    Frankly, other than supporting proprietary software and the shilcosystem
    here, I've don't know why he's here.

  12. Re: [News] The MSBBC Corruption: A 'Smoking Gun'

    On Thu, 25 Oct 2007 08:30:28 +0100, Mark Kent wrote:

    > Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    >> ____/ Kier on Wednesday 24 October 2007 12:21 : \____

    >>> A much smaller part than you would like to make it seem, however.

    >> The BBC is more guilty here for allowing this to happen, but let's remember who
    >> calls the shots now in the (MS)BBC. It's Trojan horse... Microsoft calls it
    >> the 'ecosystem', but it's a radius of religion-like influence, kickbacks,
    >> and 'protection'.
    >>

    > Hundreds of millions of pounds paid to Microsoft to do something they
    > were already doing, whilst 2,500 people get laid off... only Kier could
    > justify that.

    Dishonesty will get you nowhere, Roy. Point to me where I have done any
    such thing. *You* are saying all sorts of things about the BBC - how much
    of it is actually *true* and not your feverish imagination?

    Get your head out of your arse and stop putting words into my mouth.

    --
    Kier

  13. Re: [News] The MSBBC Corruption: A 'Smoking Gun'

    On Thu, 25 Oct 2007 08:32:02 +0100, Mark Kent wrote:

    > William Poaster espoused:
    >> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>
    >>> ____/ Kier on Wednesday 24 October 2007 09:23 : \____

    >> I suppose he thinks that this waste of licence payers fees didn't contribute
    >> to it either? As I posted before:-
    >>
    >> How much did they pay to M$ for iPlayer? I saw somewhere it was
    >> approximately 200 million, though I can't find teh link ATM.
    >>
    >> There was 90million lost here:
    >> http://media.guardian.co.uk/broadcas...122369,00.html
    >>
    >> And how much was wasted here?
    >> http://www.ukfree.tv/fullstory.php?storyid=1107051166
    >>
    >> The BBC has a 2 *billion* shortfall in it's budget, & thus is making
    >> cutbacks which include selling off the BBC Television Centre.
    >> http://itn.co.uk/news/fbfadf1f215d2d...163cfd804.html
    >>
    >> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7050122.stm
    >>
    >> Now if Kier doesn't think those losses are a *huge* chunk out of the BBC's
    >> budget.....or maybe he doesn't believe they *are* losses.
    >>

    > I don't think Kier wants to add it up. He's very very naive, and
    > reminds me of the 3 monkeys (see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil).

    You are a pompous idiot. Unlike like you, I can see boths sides. NOt
    everything in Linux land is perfect, and not everything on the MS side is
    evil. You want to believe that, go right ahead, but I'm not going to
    pretend it do just because *you* say so.

    > Frankly, other than supporting proprietary software and the shilcosystem
    > here, I've don't know why he's here.

    Are you *really* this ****ing dishonest? I am here *to advocate Linux*.
    Not to whine about how terrible MS is day in, day out. I do not even *use*
    Windows any more. I do not advocate, and I do not like it. I think that
    much of what MS does is wrong.

    The people who work at MS are real people too, Mark. They have wives and
    children and mortgages too. None of them have horns and tails, any more
    than Beeb employees all have halos.

    --
    Kier

  14. Re: [News] The MSBBC Corruption: A 'Smoking Gun'

    On Thu, 25 Oct 2007 11:52:07 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > ____/ Mark Kent on Thursday 25 October 2007 08:29 : \____
    >

    >> What will you say when the last technical people at the BBC are given
    >> their P.45s?

    > I am not allowed to comment on this in detail, but it turns out that the crooks
    > at the BBC have become quite fearful of this reaction. Apparently, it's all
    > too real.

    'Not allowed' by whom, exactly?

    --
    Kier

  15. Re: [News] The MSBBC Corruption: A 'Smoking Gun'

    Mark Kent wrote:

    > William Poaster espoused:
    >> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>
    >>> ____/ Kier on Wednesday 24 October 2007 09:23 : \____

    >> I suppose he thinks that this waste of licence payers fees didn't
    >> contribute to it either? As I posted before:-
    >>
    >> How much did they pay to M$ for iPlayer? I saw somewhere it was
    >> approximately £200 million, though I can't find teh link ATM.
    >>
    >> There was £90million lost here:
    >> http://media.guardian.co.uk/broadcas...122369,00.html
    >>
    >> And how much was wasted here?
    >> http://www.ukfree.tv/fullstory.php?storyid=1107051166
    >>
    >> The BBC has a £2 *billion* shortfall in it's budget, & thus is making
    >> cutbacks which include selling off the BBC Television Centre.
    >> http://itn.co.uk/news/fbfadf1f215d2d...163cfd804.html
    >>
    >> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7050122.stm
    >>
    >> Now if Kier doesn't think those losses are a *huge* chunk out of the
    >> BBC's budget.....or maybe he doesn't believe they *are* losses.
    >>

    > I don't think Kier wants to add it up. He's very very naive, and
    > reminds me of the 3 monkeys (see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil).

    Yes, he comes over as incredibly naive. I stopped bothering to read him ages
    ago, & only see replies to him now.

    > Frankly, other than supporting proprietary software and the shilcosystem
    > here, I've don't know why he's here.

    Nor do I, frankly.

    --
    Operating systems: FreeBSD 6.2, PC-BSD 1.4,
    Testing: FreeBSD 7.0
    Linux systems: Debian 4.0, PCLinuxOS 2007,
    Kubuntu 7.10 "Gutsy"

  16. Re: [News] The MSBBC Corruption: A 'Smoking Gun'

    Kier wrote:

    >The people who work at MS are real people too, Mark. They have wives and
    >children and mortgages too. None of them have horns and tails

    None of them do?

  17. Re: [News] The MSBBC Corruption: A 'Smoking Gun'

    "Kier" wrote in message
    newsan.2007.10.25.12.17.42.909278@tiscali.co.uk..."
    > On Thu, 25 Oct 2007 11:52:07 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    >> ____/ Mark Kent on Thursday 25 October 2007 08:29 : \____
    >>

    >>> What will you say when the last technical people at the BBC are given
    >>> their P.45s?

    >> I am not allowed to comment on this in detail, but it turns out that the
    >> crooks
    >> at the BBC have become quite fearful of this reaction. Apparently, it's
    >> all
    >> too real.

    > 'Not allowed' by whom, exactly?

    The college boy actually believes that he's a secret agent or something.
    "Delusions of grandeur"

  18. Re: [News] The MSBBC Corruption: A 'Smoking Gun'

    You're a ****ing idiot, and so is the plonker chrisv.

    --
    Kier

  19. Re: [News] The MSBBC Corruption: A 'Smoking Gun'

    [H]omer espoused:
    > Verily I say unto thee, that chrisv spake thusly:
    >> Kier wrote:

    >>> The people who work at MS are real people too, Mark. They have wives and
    >>> children and mortgages too. None of them have horns and tails

    >> None of them do?

    > Kier the Microsoft apologist can't see them through his tinted glasses.

    What he seems utterly unable to grasp is that it's the people, perhaps
    his own neighbours, who are losing their jobs, whilst those at Microsoft
    are trousering our licence-fee cash.

    I wonder if Kier will be celebrating when BBC Television Centre is sold?
    I think he will.

  20. Re: [News] The MSBBC Corruption: A 'Smoking Gun'

    [H]omer espoused:
    > Verily I say unto thee, that chrisv spake thusly:
    >> Kier wrote:

    >>> The people who work at MS are real people too, Mark. They have wives and
    >>> children and mortgages too. None of them have horns and tails

    >> None of them do?

    > Kier the Microsoft apologist can't see them through his tinted glasses.

    As I said, he's "hear no evil, see no evil, speak no evil". Or, as they
    say up in Yorks, "you can't make a blind man see".

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast