[News] Desktop Users Study: Non-Windows OS "Higher numbers than most desktop surveys indicate" - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Desktop Users Study: Non-Windows OS "Higher numbers than most desktop surveys indicate" - Linux ; Where are the American Linux desktop users? ,----[ Quote ] | In early results, the survey is finding that Linux desktops are used far more | in SMBs (small and midsize businesses) than in any other office environment. | In ...

  1. [News] Desktop Users Study: Non-Windows OS "Higher numbers than most desktop surveys indicate"

    Where are the American Linux desktop users?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | In early results, the survey is finding that Linux desktops are used far more
    | in SMBs (small and midsize businesses) than in any other office environment.
    | In any business with Linux desktops, you're also almost certainly going to
    | find Windows desktop users. The Mac OS, while lagging far behind the others,
    | is still showing up in higher numbers than most desktop surveys indicate.
    `----

    How can this be? Web stats say the truth and nothing but the truth, no?

    Related:

    Linux Users Base More Than doubled Over Last One Year: Survey

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The number of Linux users has more than doubled over the last one year, says
    | a new survey by DesktopLinux.com. The survey also said Ubuntu remains their
    | Linux distribution of choice.
    `----

    http://www.sda-india.com/sda_india/p...19940,p,0.html

    Survey: Desktop Linux use grows

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | DesktopLinux.com, which is a Web site devoted to, obviously, desktop Linux,
    | has finished a survey that found more than a doubling of Linux desktop users
    | in the past year.
    `----

    http://weblog.infoworld.com/techwatc...es/013576.html

  2. Re: [News] Desktop Users Study: Non-Windows OS "Higher numbers than most desktop surveys indicate"

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    > Where are the American Linux desktop users?
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| In early results, the survey is finding that Linux desktops are used far more
    >| in SMBs (small and midsize businesses) than in any other office environment.
    >| In any business with Linux desktops, you're also almost certainly going to
    >| find Windows desktop users. The Mac OS, while lagging far behind the others,
    >| is still showing up in higher numbers than most desktop surveys indicate.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.desktoplinux.com/news/NS2619861157.html
    >
    > How can this be? Web stats say the truth and nothing but the truth, no?

    My parents-in-law have just collected my kids for the weekend, and have
    also taken away a laptop with a fresh Xubuntu installation. The
    requirements spec was:

    1. Play DVDs (mplayer or totem)
    2. Play MP3s (installed amarok)
    3. Play Freecell (install several patience variations)
    4. Get pictures to/from camera (works using Fumar file manager by
    default)
    5. Word processor (abiword & openoffice)
    6. Spreadsheet (gnumeric & openoffice)
    7. Slideshows from Camera (gqview)
    8. Burn CDs (built-in xfce4 burner package)
    9. As many games on it as I had time to install, for the kids.

    So, Windows XP is removed, and Xubuntu now in its place. They were keen
    to try it, as they've been absolutely dead pleased with the iMac, which
    just "keeps working", no viruses/trojans/bit-rot/reboots/crashes etc.,
    no lost data, no constant re-installing.

    Xubuntu will deliver the same experience as OSX, of course, in these
    respects. And the grandchildren are there to help them with getting
    used to Linux in the first place, as they've been using Linux for
    years.