linux and grub - Linux

This is a discussion on linux and grub - Linux ; I have put 2 versions of damn small linux on an old computer for a friend. One because it was already on it and the other because I wanted the latest version and I had a free partition. Also on ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: linux and grub

  1. linux and grub

    I have put 2 versions of damn small linux on an old computer for a friend.
    One because it was already on it and the other because I wanted the latest
    version and I had a free partition. Also on it is windows, and another
    linux variety, ubuntu. When first I installed damn small, its grub did not
    boot windows or see any other linux.
    This is why I installed ubuntu (which is too big and slow for that old
    computer. BUT its grub works well except it saw the old small and not the
    new!
    Instead of going through this tedium (Ubuntu takes ages to install) Can I
    just install damn small, and then use software to directly put a good grub
    on?
    Perhaps there is a live disk that allows you to do this?
    Like just put in a cd that has options to install grub and nothing else.
    This grub problem was also there when i used mandrake linux. indeed i gave
    up using it because mandrake grub easilyrecognized windows partitions, but
    absolutely refused to see another linux version on the computer!
    Any ideas?
    Brian White

  2. Re: linux and grub


    "brian" wrote in message
    news:V7xTi.133887$th2.2686@pd7urf3no...
    >I have put 2 versions of damn small linux on an old computer for a friend.
    > One because it was already on it and the other because I wanted the latest
    > version and I had a free partition. Also on it is windows, and another
    > linux variety, ubuntu. When first I installed damn small, its grub did not
    > boot windows or see any other linux.
    > This is why I installed ubuntu (which is too big and slow for that old
    > computer. BUT its grub works well except it saw the old small and not the
    > new!
    > Instead of going through this tedium (Ubuntu takes ages to install) Can I
    > just install damn small, and then use software to directly put a good grub
    > on?
    > Perhaps there is a live disk that allows you to do this?
    > Like just put in a cd that has options to install grub and nothing else.
    > This grub problem was also there when i used mandrake linux. indeed i gave
    > up using it because mandrake grub easilyrecognized windows partitions, but
    > absolutely refused to see another linux version on the computer!
    > Any ideas?
    > Brian White


    Here are some tips:

    1 - You have the wrong distro. Try a different one and if that doesn't work
    try another or another. Eventually it should work and if not, by the time
    you've tried all the distros they will have been updated so you can start
    over again.

    2 - It works on my machine.

    3 - Try rebuilding your kernel. This seems to fix many problems such as CPU
    usage pegged at 100%. Here's a link how you can do this:
    http://forums.slamd64.com/viewtopic.php?t=1075

    4 - You might be a troll or a liar. Linux is currently perfect but it could
    still be better. How much does Microsoft pay you to post here?

    5 - Try a different distro. This is a lot like #1 but sometimes you need to
    install several times for it to "take" and actually work.

    6 - Try loading Windows drivers to get it to work. Login as root and type
    "ndiswrapper -i driver.inf" followed by "modprobe ndiswrapper" and finally
    "dmesg | grep ndiswrapper" and/or "ndiswrapper -m"

    7 - If using a Windows driver doesn't work then install a different distro
    and try these steps again.

    8 - You have bad hardware. Make sure your hardware is "linux ready" because
    linux already supports every piece of hardware ever made and they are out of
    hardware to write drivers for. Here's a link for this because it's basically
    "mission accomplished" when it comes to linux hardware support.
    http://linuxdriverproject.org/twiki/.../DriversNeeded

    See. All done. Every device ever made is fully supported by linux.

    9 - Your computer is possessed by demons and must be killed with an axe.

    10 - This is Microsoft's fault. They are in cahoots with the disk drive
    makers and the BIOS makers and they have injected secret code into your BIOS
    that prevents grub from working in order to sabotage linux. You should rid
    your computer of this secret Microsoft code by killing your computer with an
    axe.












    --
    Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com


  3. Re: linux and grub

    Sophie McDowell wrote:

    > How much does Microsoft pay you to post here?


    They pay me $600 per post. I thought everyone got the same thing?




  4. Re: linux and grub

    DFS wrote:

    > Sophie McDowell wrote:
    >
    >> How much does Microsoft pay you to post here?

    >
    > They pay me $600 per post. I thought everyone got the same thing?


    Snivelling little ****ing liar.

    --
    Regards,

    Gregory.
    Gentoo Linux - Penguin Power

  5. Re: linux and grub

    On Wed, 24 Oct 2007 01:23:01 +0000, brian wrote:


    > Instead of going through this tedium (Ubuntu takes ages to install) Can I
    > just install damn small, and then use software to directly put a good grub
    > on?
    > Perhaps there is a live disk that allows you to do this?


    Try one of the rescue Live CDs, like SystemRescue (hop over to
    www.distrowatch.com and browse).

    --
    Kier


  6. Re: linux and grub

    brian wrote:

    > I have put 2 versions of damn small linux on an old computer for a friend.
    > One because it was already on it and the other because I wanted the latest
    > version and I had a free partition. Also on it is windows, and another
    > linux variety, ubuntu. When first I installed damn small, its grub did not
    > boot windows or see any other linux.
    > This is why I installed ubuntu (which is too big and slow for that old
    > computer. BUT its grub works well except it saw the old small and not the
    > new!
    > Instead of going through this tedium (Ubuntu takes ages to install) Can I
    > just install damn small, and then use software to directly put a good grub
    > on?
    > Perhaps there is a live disk that allows you to do this?
    > Like just put in a cd that has options to install grub and nothing else.
    > This grub problem was also there when i used mandrake linux. indeed i gave
    > up using it because mandrake grub easilyrecognized windows partitions, but
    > absolutely refused to see another linux version on the computer!
    > Any ideas?
    > Brian White



    You can install grub once from any distro that works,
    then learn to edit the text file
    to boot anything you want from any other partition.

    Practice on a separate PC until you got it right
    and then you won't go wrong on your active PC.



  7. Re: linux and grub

    brian wrote:

    > I have put 2 versions of damn small linux on an old computer for a friend.
    > One because it was already on it and the other because I wanted the latest
    > version and I had a free partition. Also on it is windows, and another
    > linux variety, ubuntu. When first I installed damn small, its grub did not
    > boot windows or see any other linux.
    > This is why I installed ubuntu (which is too big and slow for that old
    > computer. BUT its grub works well except it saw the old small and not the
    > new!
    > Instead of going through this tedium (Ubuntu takes ages to install) Can I
    > just install damn small, and then use software to directly put a good grub
    > on?
    > Perhaps there is a live disk that allows you to do this?
    > Like just put in a cd that has options to install grub and nothing else.
    > This grub problem was also there when i used mandrake linux. indeed i gave
    > up using it because mandrake grub easilyrecognized windows partitions, but
    > absolutely refused to see another linux version on the computer!
    > Any ideas?
    > Brian White


    Do the following:

    1) Learn about GRUB:



    2) Examine the menu.lst (or menu.conf) files on working systems to get a
    feel for how the entries should look.

    3) Make a GRUB boot floppy (as described in the above GRUB manual).

    4) Make an appropriate menu.lst and copy this onto the floppy.

    5) Boot with the floppy and install GRUB (also described in the manual).

    The above is deliberately not a cookbook recipe, which means if you decide
    to use it you will have to understand what you are doing.

    HTH

    --
    Les

  8. Re: linux and grub

    After takin' a swig o' grog, brian belched out this bit o' wisdom:

    > I have put 2 versions of damn small linux on an old computer for a friend.
    > One because it was already on it and the other because I wanted the latest
    > version and I had a free partition. Also on it is windows, and another
    > linux variety, ubuntu. When first I installed damn small, its grub did not
    > boot windows or see any other linux.
    > This is why I installed ubuntu (which is too big and slow for that old
    > computer. BUT its grub works well except it saw the old small and not the
    > new!
    > Instead of going through this tedium (Ubuntu takes ages to install) Can I
    > just install damn small, and then use software to directly put a good grub
    > on?
    > Perhaps there is a live disk that allows you to do this?
    > Like just put in a cd that has options to install grub and nothing else.
    > This grub problem was also there when i used mandrake linux. indeed i gave
    > up using it because mandrake grub easilyrecognized windows partitions, but
    > absolutely refused to see another linux version on the computer!
    > Any ideas?


    I would learn about grub, and maybe about initrd. You say nothing about
    your hardware, but if it is old, it should be a straightforward
    /dev/hd[abc] setup.

    --
    Tux rox!

  9. Re: linux and grub

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Sophie McDowell belched out this bit o' wisdom:

    Thread-hijacking jackoff.


  10. Re: linux and grub


    DFS wrote:
    >
    > Sophie McDowell wrote:
    >
    > > How much does Microsoft pay you to post here?

    >
    > They pay me $600 per post. I thought everyone got the same thing?


    Nah, I've heard that MS European astroturfers get 666 euros and 66.6
    cents per posted word. (The latest whisper: they gonna go on strike next
    mounth damanding a switch to pounds sterling with no change of 666.666
    in nominal.)

    regards,
    alexander.

    --
    "The revolution might take significantly longer than anticipated."

    -- The GNU Monk Harald Welte

  11. Re: linux and grub

    Sophie McDowell wrote:

    >Here are some


    *plonk*


  12. Re: linux and grub

    chrisv wrote:
    > Sophie McDowell wrote:
    >
    >> Here are some

    >
    > *plonk*
    >


    issuing *plonks* you stupid *clown*? You are totally ridiculous.>

  13. Re: linux and grub

    After takin' a swig o' grog, OJ Simpson belched out this bit o' wisdom:

    > chrisv wrote:
    >> Sophie McDowell wrote:
    >>
    >>> Here are some

    >>
    >> *plonk*

    >
    > > issuing *plonks* you stupid *clown*? You are totally ridiculous.>


    Don't you have a pumpkin to carve up or something?

    --
    Tux rox!

  14. Re: linux and grub


    "OJ Simpson" wrote in message
    news:13huggvep57ri47@corp.supernews.com...
    > chrisv wrote:
    >> Sophie McDowell wrote:
    >>
    >>> Here are some

    >>
    >> *plonk*
    >>

    >
    > > issuing *plonks* you stupid *clown*? You are totally ridiculous.>


    chrisv is such a "linux advocate" isn't he?



    --
    Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com


  15. Re: linux and grub

    brian the side-swimmer wrote:

    > When first I installed damn small, its grub did not boot windows or see any other linux.


    What answer did you get when you posted to the DamnSmallLinux forum ..

    http://damnsmalllinux.org/cgi-bin/forums/ikonboard.cgi

    http://www.mizuhoradio.com/personal/...x/amitycn.html

    http://damnsmalllinux.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

  16. Re: linux and grub

    On Oct 24, 2:23 pm, brian wrote:

    > Any ideas?
    > Brian White


    Edit /boot/grub/menu.lst on the partition from which GRUB was last
    installed. There is no need to re-run GRUB after editing this menu
    (unlike having to re-run Lilo after making changes). The GRUB
    software has sufficient capability to find the locations of key files
    (eg the Linux kernel) to get things going. GRUB documentation will
    describe the syntax to be used.




  17. Re: linux and grub

    >some nameless troll:
    >
    >> chrisv wrote:
    >>> Sophie McDowell wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> Here are some
    >>>
    >>> *plonk*

    >>
    >> >> issuing *plonks* you stupid *clown*? You are totally ridiculous.>


    In the (worthless) opinion of a nym-shifter. Poor ridiculous troll...
    No name, no identity, constantly nym-shifting and trolling.

    While some may disagree, I believe that my plonks have some value, as
    a little flag that indicates "no reason for anyone to read this
    post(er), it's just a troll".


  18. Re: linux and grub

    On Oct 24, 1:10 pm, chrisv wrote:
    > >some nameless troll:

    >
    > >> chrisv wrote:
    > >>> Sophie McDowell wrote:

    >
    > >>>> Here are some

    >
    > >>> *plonk*

    >
    > >> > >> issuing *plonks* you stupid *clown*? You are totally ridiculous.>

    >
    > In the (worthless) opinion of a nym-shifter. Poor ridiculous troll...
    > No name, no identity, constantly nym-shifting and trolling.
    >
    > While some may disagree, I believe that my plonks have some value, as
    > a little flag that indicates "no reason for anyone to read this
    > post(er), it's just a troll".


    *plonk*


+ Reply to Thread