grub and linux? - Linux

This is a discussion on grub and linux? - Linux ; I had an old computer which had windows 98, and damn small on it. I have long since lost the drivers for the network card in win98 but I do not care because linux goes on the net just fine. ...

  1. grub and linux?

    I had an old computer which had windows 98, and damn small on it.
    I have long since lost the drivers for the network card in win98 but I do
    not care because linux goes on the net just fine.
    I gave the computer to a friend

    There were several extra partitions. I installed an upto date damn small
    (because it is quick on an old computer) but its version of grub refused to
    boot windows or see the other damn small. So then I had to put ubuntu on it
    because its version of grub sees much better (2 more hours of messing
    around). BUT it saw the 3 year old version of damn small and not the new!
    And ubuntu is too big and slow on that old computer. Why cannot grub just
    work reliably? Why is there different versions like that. I gave up using
    mandrake because its version of grub refused to see any other linux
    variety.
    Now my friend is complaining because ubuntu is too slow and damn small is
    too old.
    Is there any bootable CD you can recommend or software that is pretty
    reliable in detecting os's on partitions and sticking a reference to them
    in grub?
    I just want to have up to date damn small and windows on that computer, no
    more putting on a whole os just to get grub working!
    Thank you
    Brian white

  2. Re: grub and linux?

    * brian wrote in comp.os.linux:

    > I had an old computer which had windows 98, and damn small on it.
    > I have long since lost the drivers for the network card in win98 but I
    > do not care because linux goes on the net just fine.
    > I gave the computer to a friend
    >
    > There were several extra partitions. I installed an upto date damn
    > small
    > (because it is quick on an old computer) but its version of grub
    > refused to boot windows or see the other damn small. So then I had to
    > put ubuntu on it because its version of grub sees much better (2 more
    > hours of messing around). BUT it saw the 3 year old version of damn
    > small and not the new! And ubuntu is too big and slow on that old
    > computer. Why cannot grub just work reliably? Why is there different
    > versions like that. I gave up using mandrake because its version of
    > grub refused to see any other linux variety.
    > Now my friend is complaining because ubuntu is too slow and damn small
    > is too old.
    > Is there any bootable CD you can recommend or software that is pretty
    > reliable in detecting os's on partitions and sticking a reference to
    > them in grub?
    > I just want to have up to date damn small and windows on that
    > computer, no more putting on a whole os just to get grub working!
    > Thank you
    > Brian white

    Super Grub:

    http://supergrub.forjamari.linex.org/