Devices Lacking Linux Support Needed - Linux

This is a discussion on Devices Lacking Linux Support Needed - Linux ; [Linux Driver Project running out of devices that need support--- they're all supported already...] So, I approached this group [Linux Foundation's Vendor Advisory Board] and asked them specifically what devices did they see in common use that are not supported ...

  1. Devices Lacking Linux Support Needed

    [Linux Driver Project running out of devices that need support---
    they're all supported already...]

    So, I approached this group [Linux Foundation's Vendor Advisory Board]
    and asked them specifically what devices did they see in common use
    that are not supported by Linux (the obvious 2 video cards being a
    known exception.) Despite this being such a high priority for this
    group, they had no examples to provide.

    And neither do I. I don't currently know of any common piece of
    hardware in use today that is not supported on Linux. And since these
    vendors do not know, and I don't, I'm asking the world to help out.

    So, please, let me know what specific type of device you know of that
    is not properly supported on Linux. If you want, please mark up the
    wiki page at:

    http://linuxdriverproject.org/twiki/.../DriversNeeded

    Or just email me with your recommendations. If patterns emerge, I'll
    approach the companies and ask them if they will work with us.

    Hopefully with your help, we can find some work for these 310
    developers to do

    http://www.kroah.com/log/linux/devic...rt_needed.html

  2. Re: Devices Lacking Linux Support Needed

    wrote in message
    news:1193161215.214719.290130@i13g2000prf.googlegr oups.com...

    > [Linux Driver Project running out of devices that need support---
    > they're all supported already...]

    Tell them they can start with supporting the HP 7550A plotter. Years later
    and still no linux plotter support.

    - ARod

    > So, I approached this group [Linux Foundation's Vendor Advisory Board]
    > and asked them specifically what devices did they see in common use
    > that are not supported by Linux (the obvious 2 video cards being a
    > known exception.) Despite this being such a high priority for this
    > group, they had no examples to provide.
    >
    > And neither do I. I don't currently know of any common piece of
    > hardware in use today that is not supported on Linux. And since these
    > vendors do not know, and I don't, I'm asking the world to help out.
    >
    > So, please, let me know what specific type of device you know of that
    > is not properly supported on Linux. If you want, please mark up the
    > wiki page at:
    >
    > http://linuxdriverproject.org/twiki/.../DriversNeeded
    >
    > Or just email me with your recommendations. If patterns emerge, I'll
    > approach the companies and ask them if they will work with us.
    >
    > Hopefully with your help, we can find some work for these 310
    > developers to do
    >

    > http://www.kroah.com/log/linux/devic...rt_needed.html

  3. Re: Devices Lacking Linux Support Needed

    Abraham RodrigŘÚz wrote:

    >Tell them they can start with

    *plonk*

  4. Re: Devices Lacking Linux Support Needed

    ____/ chrisv on Tuesday 23 October 2007 19:42 : \____

    > Abraham Rodrig├╝├ęz wrote:
    >
    >>Tell them they can start with

    > *plonk*

    Are you sure? The headers leave doubt.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | INQredible Hacktivism
    Tasks: 113 total, 1 running, 112 sleeping, 0 stopped, 0 zombie

  5. Re: Devices Lacking Linux Support Needed

    "Roy Schestowitz" wrote
    > ____/ chrisv on Tuesday 23 October 2007 19:42 : \____
    >
    >> Abraham Rodrig├╝├ęz wrote:
    >>
    >>>Tell them they can start with

    >> *plonk*

    > Are you sure? The headers leave doubt.

    I'm very sorry Roy that I plonked Abraham Rodrig├╝├ęz. My shrink gave me those
    new meds today to
    refrain me from plonking people, but the dosage isn't what it should be!
    Plonking people is my obsessive-compulsive neurosis!

  6. Re: Devices Lacking Linux Support Needed

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Abraham RodrigŘÚz

    wrote
    on Tue, 23 Oct 2007 13:47:38 -0400
    <471e27d2$0$26404$88260bb3@free.teranews.com>:

    > wrote in message
    > news:1193161215.214719.290130@i13g2000prf.googlegr oups.com...
    >>
    >> [Linux Driver Project running out of devices that need support---
    >> they're all supported already...]

    > Tell them they can start with supporting the HP 7550A plotter. Years later
    > and still no linux plotter support.

    http://www.alfredklomp.com/technology/plotter/

    might be of some assistance, though the original author
    has since sold his particular unit. The modifications
    are rather technical and involve a custom 9-to-25 adapter
    and/or cable; it's not the same as a standard RS-232
    converter.

    http://www.lammertbies.nl/comm/cable/RS-232.html

    Once connected a raw HPGL file can be sent through
    the serial device (cat test.hpgl > /dev/ttyS0). I do
    not know whether CUPS can integrate with this using a
    Postscript-to-HPGL converter or not.

    One also wonders if Vista supports this plotter. Google
    suggests yes; drivers "will be available May 2007".
    Unknown as to cabling.

    http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport...02_USEN#N1001D

    Did you have a list of other such devices? The only other
    one I can think of, which is a trivial disproof of the
    claim below (and an unfortunate one for many owners and
    would-be owners thereof -- linuxdriverproject.org already
    knows about it), is the Creative Labs X-Fi soundcard
    series. The Creative Labs Audigy series indicates partial
    support; SBLive! 5.1 SB0220 also indicate partial support.

    http://hardware4linux.info/manufacturer/306/

    Caveat user.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    /dev/signature: Resource temporarily unavailable

  7. Re: Devices Lacking Linux Support Needed

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    >____/ chrisv on Tuesday 23 October 2007 19:42 : \____
    >
    >> Abraham RodrigŘÚz wrote:
    >>
    >>>Tell them they can start with

    >> *plonk*

    >Are you sure? The headers leave doubt.

    Did you see the post? I saw enough to make a personal decision...

  8. Re: Devices Lacking Linux Support Needed

    > In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Abraham RodrigŘÚz
    >
    > wrote
    > on Tue, 23 Oct 2007 13:47:38 -0400
    > <471e27d2$0$26404$88260bb3@free.teranews.com>:
    >>
    >> wrote in message
    >> news:1193161215.214719.290130@i13g2000prf.googlegr oups.com...
    >>>
    >>> [Linux Driver Project running out of devices that need support---
    >>> they're all supported already...]

    >> Tell them they can start with supporting the HP 7550A plotter. Years
    >> later
    >> and still no linux plotter support.

    > http://www.alfredklomp.com/technology/plotter/
    >
    > might be of some assistance, though the original author
    > has since sold his particular unit. The modifications
    > are rather technical and involve a custom 9-to-25 adapter
    > and/or cable; it's not the same as a standard RS-232
    > converter.

    Muchas gracias Se˝or Machine. This looks to be a little complicated for me
    but perhaps one of my amigos in the lab can assist with doing this.

    > http://www.lammertbies.nl/comm/cable/RS-232.html
    >
    > Once connected a raw HPGL file can be sent through
    > the serial device (cat test.hpgl > /dev/ttyS0). I do
    > not know whether CUPS can integrate with this using a
    > Postscript-to-HPGL converter or not.

    Muchas gracias once again Se˝or Machine. What we are doing today is to send
    the files to a Windows 3.1 computer that has a HPIB/IEEE-488 card and
    drivers to do the plotting. We should maybe one day upgrade to a color laser
    printer but we have much software that uses the plotter so it will be most
    difficult.

    > One also wonders if Vista supports this plotter. Google
    > suggests yes; drivers "will be available May 2007".
    > Unknown as to cabling.
    >
    > http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport...02_USEN#N1001D

    We do not have the computers to run Vista. That it why we are going to try
    Linux and perhaps it will work for us.

    > Did you have a list of other such devices? The only other
    > one I can think of, which is a trivial disproof of the
    > claim below (and an unfortunate one for many owners and
    > would-be owners thereof -- linuxdriverproject.org already
    > knows about it), is the Creative Labs X-Fi soundcard
    > series. The Creative Labs Audigy series indicates partial
    > support; SBLive! 5.1 SB0220 also indicate partial support.
    >
    > http://hardware4linux.info/manufacturer/306/
    >
    > Caveat user.
    >

    >> - ARod
    >>

    >>> So, I approached this group [Linux Foundation's Vendor Advisory Board]
    >>> and asked them specifically what devices did they see in common use
    >>> that are not supported by Linux (the obvious 2 video cards being a
    >>> known exception.) Despite this being such a high priority for this
    >>> group, they had no examples to provide.
    >>>
    >>> And neither do I. I don't currently know of any common piece of
    >>> hardware in use today that is not supported on Linux. And since these
    >>> vendors do not know, and I don't, I'm asking the world to help out.
    >>>
    >>> So, please, let me know what specific type of device you know of that
    >>> is not properly supported on Linux. If you want, please mark up the
    >>> wiki page at:
    >>>
    >>> http://linuxdriverproject.org/twiki/.../DriversNeeded
    >>>
    >>> Or just email me with your recommendations. If patterns emerge, I'll
    >>> approach the companies and ask them if they will work with us.
    >>>
    >>> Hopefully with your help, we can find some work for these 310
    >>> developers to do
    >>>

    >>> http://www.kroah.com/log/linux/devic...rt_needed.html
    >>>

    > --
    > #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    > /dev/signature: Resource temporarily unavailable
    >
    > --

  9. Re: Devices Lacking Linux Support Needed

    Abraham RodrigŘÚz wrote:
    > nessuno wrote...
    >>
    >> [Linux Driver Project running out of devices that
    >> need support--- they're all supported already...]

    > Tell them they can start with supporting the HP 7550A plotter.
    > Years later and still no linux plotter support.

    Apparently others have gotten it to work in Linux.

    http://www.alfredklomp.com/technology/plotter/

    Getting a HP 7550A plotter to work under Linux

    Article has some hardware interfacing information and personal hacks.

    http://www.eng.hawaii.edu/Tutor/Gnuplot/Terms/hpgl.html

    Using the HP 7550A Plotter with Gnuplot
    Computer Facility
    University of Hawaii at Manoa
    College of Engineering

    Gnuplot supports the Hewlett-Packard Graphics Language (HPGL)
    which is used for sending plots to the HP 7550A Plotter located
    in Holmes 244. You must use the set term command to set the
    terminal to hpgl, as shown:

    set term hpgl

    In addition to setting the terminal type for Gnuplot, you must
    also set the output file. There are two methods to plot your
    output to the plotter. You can first save the output to a file
    and send that file to the plotter, or you can directly print to
    the plotter. In order to send the output to a file, use the
    following set output command, substituting your own file name for
    filename.hpgl:

    set output "filename.hpgl"

    You then send that file to the HP 7550A plotter with this
    command: (Typed at the Unix prompt)

    lp -dhp7550a filename.hpgl

    You can also set the output file to plot directly to the plotter.
    However, remember to note that you must bring your own paper when
    sending the output to the plotter. In order to send the output to
    the plotter (thereby bypassing the need to create a plot file),
    use the following set output command:

    set output "|lp -dhp7550a"

    For both of these output methods, the file is not "sent" until
    another output (or the same output) file is selected, or until
    Gnuplot terminates. After you are done with one plot, simply type
    the same set output command to "flush" the file.
    http://mirror.hamakor.org.il/archive...2003/5704.html

    Is there anyone out there running an HP7550a or similar plotter?

    It works with CUPS using xon-xoff handshaking but not rts/cts.
    Which do you use? I'm using Red Hat 9 with CUPS cups-1.1.17-13.3
    and kernel 2.4.20-20.9.

    Is there any PCB design software that runs under linux and uses
    this plotter? I found a freeware package called PCB, but it
    outputs postscript and gerber files, not HPGL.

    Please don't tell me to upgrade to a printer. I have both dot
    matrix and laser printers and neither produce circuit board
    artwork like a plotter.
    RTS/CTS are "Request to Send"/"Clear to Send" RS-232 hardware
    handshaking signals. Reason why it may not be working in CUPS is
    that someone needs to wire an adaptor, to properly map the
    hardware hand shaking lines.

    (This is one of the non-standard things about the RS-232
    standard. There are multiple hardware handshaking lines like
    RTS/CTS, DTR/DSR (Data Terminal Ready/Data Set Ready, Carrier
    Detect (CD) can also be used in a mix/match between each other.
    Example, Plotter uses RTS/CTS whereas PC uses DTR/DSR. Then,
    line direction can be switched depending on whether the device is
    configured as "Data Terminal" (i.e. PC) or "Data Set" (modem).
    Interfacing 2 DT's or DS's can be interesting. (It is doable,
    just odd.)

    Also (rare) there can be oddities such as one, other or both
    signals being inverted requiring some NOT inverter logic. I used
    a PNP signal switching transistor and resistors to a venerable
    Alphacom 40 column thermal dot matrix printer's handshake line
    some time back.)

    RadioShack used to sell an RS-232 breakout box where one could
    connect jumpers to determine what combinations work. (I don't
    know if they still do. RS-232 was used often in the past,
    nowadays it is usually Ethernet, Parallel Port or USB.)

    http://www.ribbonsoft.com/forum/view...47e4bf05d6e279

    I use my HP7550A with Camexpert. It works as you describe by
    generating a cam file and then sending it to the plotter. Under
    Windows I use the Roland DXY-1350A plotter driver for the
    HP7550A, which works perfectly. Another thing that makes the HP
    plotter work well is to use a parallel to serial converter. I use
    one made by Tandy-RadioShack, works well with Linux and Windows.
    In Camexpert you can change the sheet size from the Edit menu as
    well as during cam export by % size. Do a print preview and click
    on the printer auto-size button and it will be sized to your
    selected sheet.

    computer side:
    parallel port--->>parallel-serial converter

    plotter side:
    when plugged as terminal control:
    9600,8,n,1 local standalone xon-xoff

    when plugged as computer/modem port:
    9600,8,n,1 remote standalone xon-xoff

    I have never used the HP-IB connector.
    --
    HPT

  10. Re: Devices Lacking Linux Support Needed

    On Oct 23, 1:40 pm, "ness...@wigner.berkeley.edu"
    wrote:

    > [Linux Driver Project running out of devices that need support---
    > they're all supported already...]

    Have they finally come out with the HAL for the Atheros 5218 chipset
    yet? I have a Z61p and I picked up that PCI card because it had
    801.11n and I'm sorry I didn't just settle for the Intel card. I've
    been waiting almost nine months now for a fully functional driver. I
    tried dadwifi and still had to fall back to an Atheros 802.11g PCMCIA
    card.Lennovo doesn't even make the Z61p anymore (WUXGA display
    provider couldn't keep up with demand). They now offer a T61p with
    WSXGA and an Intel 802.11n card which is "Linux Ready". You can order
    it with XP pro or Vista business edition.

    > So, please, let me know what specific type of device you know of that
    > is not properly supported on Linux. If you want, please mark up the
    > wiki page at:
    >
    > http://linuxdriverproject.org/twiki/.../DriversNeeded

    > Or just email me with your recommendations. If patterns emerge, I'll
    > approach the companies and ask them if they will work with us.
    >
    > Hopefully with your help, we can find some work for these 310
    > developers to do
    >

    > http://www.kroah.com/log/linux/devic...rt_needed.html

  11. Re: Devices Lacking Linux Support Needed

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Abraham RodrigŘÚz belched out this bit o' wisdom:

    > wrote in message
    > news:1193161215.214719.290130@i13g2000prf.googlegr oups.com...
    >>
    >> [Linux Driver Project running out of devices that need support---
    >> they're all supported already...]

    > Tell them they can start with supporting the HP 7550A plotter. Years later
    > and still no linux plotter support.

    It's a big item on Windows, too. In fact, it's a big item period!

    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...er&btnG=Search

    HP 7750A plotter

    Results 1 - 9 of 9 for HP 7750A plotter.

    Maybe this little printcap entry from 1993 will help you:

    http://www.sunmanagers.org/archives/1993/0339.html

  12. Re: Devices Lacking Linux Support Needed

    > ____/ chrisv on Tuesday 23 October 2007 19:42 : \____
    >
    >> Abraham RodrigŘÚz wrote:
    >>
    >>>Tell them they can start with

    >> *plonk*

    > Are you sure? The headers leave doubt.

    ARod is an idiot.

    --
    Tux rox!

  13. Re: Devices Lacking Linux Support Needed

    After takin' a swig o' grog, High Plains Thumper belched out this bit o' wisdom:

    > Abraham RodrigŘÚz wrote:
    >> nessuno wrote...
    >>>
    >>> [Linux Driver Project running out of devices that
    >>> need support--- they're all supported already...]

    >> Tell them they can start with supporting the HP 7550A plotter.
    >> Years later and still no linux plotter support.

    > Apparently others have gotten it to work in Linux.
    >
    > http://www.alfredklomp.com/technology/plotter/
    >
    > Getting a HP 7550A plotter to work under Linux
    >
    > [quote]
    > Using the HP 7550A Plotter with Gnuplot
    >
    > Gnuplot supports the Hewlett-Packard Graphics Language (HPGL)
    > which is used for sending plots to the HP 7550A Plotter located
    > in Holmes 244. You must use the set term command to set the
    > terminal to hpgl, as shown:
    >
    > set term hpgl

    It's pretty cool that GNUplot generates HP-GL.

    Too bad Linux wasn't around back in 1984. I would have preferred to use
    it, rather than RSX-11 or RT-11, to drive an HP plotter.

    Did I mention yet that ARod is an idiot?

    --
    Tux rox!

  14. Re: Devices Lacking Linux Support Needed

    Linonut wrote:
    > High Plains Thumper belched:
    >> Abraham RodrigŘÚz wrote:
    >>> nessuno wrote...

    >>> Tell them they can start with supporting the HP 7550A
    >>> plotter. Years later and still no linux plotter support.

    >> Apparently others have gotten it to work in Linux.
    >>
    >> http://www.alfredklomp.com/technology/plotter/
    >>
    >> Getting a HP 7550A plotter to work under Linux
    >>
    >> [quote] Using the HP 7550A Plotter with Gnuplot
    >>
    >> Gnuplot supports the Hewlett-Packard Graphics Language
    >> (HPGL) which is used for sending plots to the HP 7550A
    >> Plotter located in Holmes 244. You must use the set term
    >> command to set the terminal to hpgl, as shown:
    >>
    >> set term hpgl

    > It's pretty cool that GNUplot generates HP-GL.
    >
    > Too bad Linux wasn't around back in 1984. I would have
    > preferred to use it, rather than RSX-11 or RT-11, to drive an
    > HP plotter.
    >
    > Did I mention yet that ARod is an idiot?

    I was using CP/M-80 and an HP-125 computer with dual pen plotter.
    HP made nice plotting software. It made nice 8-1/2"x11" slides
    for overhead projector test management presentations of our
    software projects. When the flight simulator bois at McDonnell
    Douglas saw the pretty graphics and talked of pulling my system
    to use on their tests, I toned down those slides to black lined
    and black hatched plots.

    The job has always had a way of slowing me down to a speed
    commensurate with my corporate funded position. :-)

    --
    HPT

  15. Re: Devices Lacking Linux Support Needed

    ____/ Kutloze Scheefgepoepte on Wednesday 24 October 2007 15:21 : \____

    > liar.html

    *plonk*

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | "The speed of time is one second per second"

  16. Re: Devices Lacking Linux Support Needed

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Kutloze Scheefgepoepte belched out this bit o' wisdom:

    > "Linonut" schreef in bericht
    >> After takin' a swig o' grog, Roy Schestowitz belched out this bit o'
    >> wisdom:
    >>> ____/ chrisv on Tuesday 23 October 2007 19:42 : \____
    >>> Are you sure? The headers leave doubt.

    >> ARod is an idiot.

    > BWAHAHAHAHAAAAH! What a joke!
    > http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/2007...onut-liar.html
    > *Your* among the "the dozens of liars, hypocrites and morons."
    > Nobody believes you!

    Sure they do. Even *you* believe me. Don't try to deny it. We know
    it's a front.

    --
    Tux rox!

+ Reply to Thread